5 Best Crops for Your Edible Container Garden

💛 📖 See the GrowVeg book here: https://www.growveg.com/growveg-the-beginners-guide-to-easy-gardening.aspx.
Growing crops in containers offers flexibility and the chance to grow more too. While it’s possible to grow almost any vegetable, herb or fruit in pots, some are more suited than others.

So what are the best crops to grow in containers?

In this short video we’ll reveal our top crops for container growing – five delicious, easy-to-grow edibles that will give you plenty to pick!

If you love growing your own food, why not take a look at our online Garden Planner which is available from several major websites and seed suppliers:
and many more…

To receive more gardening videos subscribe to our channel here: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=GrowVeg

If you’ve noticed any pests or beneficial insects in your garden lately please report them to us at http://BigBugHunt.com

1. Toni S on April 6, 2021 at 11:44 pm

I love your videos! They are always so informative and most helpful

2. Kacey Bongarzone on April 6, 2021 at 11:44 pm

Thank you! I also enjoy cucumbers and they’ve grown well in a raised garden bed/pots in my yard.

3. donna flores on April 6, 2021 at 11:45 pm

I like to grow basil in containers as well as celery, parsley and kale.

4. The Green Thumb Gardening Channel on April 6, 2021 at 11:45 pm

Greetings, fantastic and informative video! I only grow in pots or elevated Huegel Culture Container Gardens due to terrible soil conditions in my location. I love having the option to easily relocate my potted plants indoors if necessary and the ability to grow year round instead of just during the spring and summer months. I just subscribed to your channel and am looking forward to your next video upload!

5. whaszupp on April 6, 2021 at 11:46 pm

I also grow blueberries in Southern California (Los Angeles) in pots. One of them is in a regular pot (maybe 10-15 gallon?). Eight others are in earthboxes or garden patch boxes. All are doing great. I have several varieties that work in my locale. I have them protected from birds inside a "bird cage" that I built from an old e-z up frame and bird block screening. I have about 1/2 of it topped with a shade cloth. Works great. Life is good and fruitful!

6. My Bangla Garden on April 6, 2021 at 11:47 pm

Great advice. I love container gardening. Easier to move out of the bad weather

7. Marie Deyo on April 6, 2021 at 11:51 pm

Topinambur or Jerusalem articoke as you call them are great in pots. I grow them the last 6 years in pots and it worked out great. I have the RED ones. Only thing, they have never had flowers. But lots of crop. 🙋🏼‍♀️

8. A Daily Daughter on April 6, 2021 at 11:52 pm

Wonderful 😀. Thank you 😊

9. CeedyE on April 6, 2021 at 11:52 pm

Great Video, Thanks Me and my 4 year old daughter have gone for Strawberries, Blueberries, Radish and Spring onion for an introduction to growing this year and we are also going to try to grow a pumpkin for Halloween too 😀

10. Lily Langman on April 6, 2021 at 11:55 pm

I have been growing spinach in a hanging basket all winter here in Tx

11. Catherine Cooper on April 6, 2021 at 11:55 pm

I always enjoy your videos! This year I will try growing beets, carrots, potatoes, in containers. Question: Would you please cover night time temperatures and putting plants in a hot house. I have just a simple plastic that’s about 5′ tall. Here in Wisconsin, we are told that nighttime temperature must be 50 degrees and above for the garden to be planted. Is that true for the hothouse as well?

12. DeepWaterz on April 6, 2021 at 11:56 pm

#GardenGove

13. tara estella on April 6, 2021 at 11:58 pm

Thanks 👌

14. Michelle Phillips on April 6, 2021 at 11:59 pm

Great videoim growing organic vegetables in my container gardens I find that they produce way better in containers than the actual garden itself

15. o0Avalon0o on April 6, 2021 at 11:59 pm

This video is incredibly well-made & informative. Thank you, I’m learning so much!

16. sonnossonnos on April 7, 2021 at 12:01 am

Haha when I like and unlike this video, the viewing goes from 2,7K to 2,8K :0

17. Lotus on April 7, 2021 at 12:03 am

18. Cherokee Rose on April 7, 2021 at 12:03 am

Thank you again. I watch EVERY one of your videos. I plant Tumbling Tom and Tiny Tim tomatoes as well as chard and some of your others. But another that I happen to give a try was red romaine. I planted them in small pots and nothing grew but here in Tenn I just left them and suddenly they were growing like crazy. I even found one in my backyard lawn. And kale is great to grow year round here. Any variety is delicious… Thanks for all your videos they are so informative. And you are so happy on them. 🙂

19. Abbie Thoms on April 7, 2021 at 12:03 am

Put dishes under your pots to prevent water wastage

20. Jojo Bobo on April 7, 2021 at 12:04 am

I have my strawberries in the old gutters from my house. The only down side is that you really have to be careful to not lose the soil and too keep them watered. I had a tough learning period and almost gave up on the idea. The upsides are that you can net them easily with a simple tee pee system and picking is super easy too.

21. RPG TRAVELS on April 7, 2021 at 12:06 am

Nice crops

22. Maike Adam on April 7, 2021 at 12:07 am

Great job! Those strawberries look very tasty!

23. Linda G on April 7, 2021 at 12:07 am

Potatoes do well in either 5 gallon buckets or potato bags.

24. Ellen McIntyre on April 7, 2021 at 12:08 am

Bush beans, basil, peppers, tomatoes, marigolds, portulaca, or milliflora petunias for color spilling over edges. Basil protects tomatoes

25. John Monck on April 7, 2021 at 12:08 am

you dont have to keep asking …. its really annoying… we know how to subscribe …

26. The Happy Gardener on April 7, 2021 at 12:09 am

I love your ideas you are so inspiring xx

27. LégumesEtFleurs on April 7, 2021 at 12:12 am

Great video as usual. I grow bok choi in containers. 😄

28. Steven Cameron on April 7, 2021 at 12:13 am

iv got far too much concerns over what is going into growing food.https://youtu.be/wXyKHgH_4t0

29. DK zok on April 7, 2021 at 12:16 am

I cannot find organic
    strawberry seeds anywhere

30. Robin Hazeslip on April 7, 2021 at 12:16 am

I have been trying to determine what to grow in pots, to add depth to the garden and extend to patio….. thnks for suggestions! 😊

31. Stealth Clock Gaming on April 7, 2021 at 12:17 am

could i grow any of these in a 1 gallon milk jug? and what would be best?

32. Tonia Richardson on April 7, 2021 at 12:18 am

Thank you! Lots of useful information. Please will you do a video about planting companion vegetables & herbs that help deter pests and also which containers are best for container gardening, in the UK.

33. Carol Townsend on April 7, 2021 at 12:19 am

Spenich, SPENICH and more
    SPENICH is the very best—-

34. Сергей Казаков on April 7, 2021 at 12:21 am
  35. AgriTayo Derick on April 7, 2021 at 12:23 am

Thank you for inspiring me! I am also growing vegetables. And i also uploading agri related vlogs. Godbless you!

36. Lauren Evans on April 7, 2021 at 12:25 am

Great advice – thank you 🙂

37. C Y on April 7, 2021 at 12:26 am

I don’t think Marigold actually repel aphids. In fact my Marigold attracts aphids and died of aphids.

38. plumeria8357 on April 7, 2021 at 12:27 am

This year I had so much fun growing cucumbers.

39. Deda Kavanagh on April 7, 2021 at 12:28 am

Love radishes for color and nutrients. ☘️

40. Hartz Homestead on April 7, 2021 at 12:31 am

I grew a cayenne pepper in a large pot one year and it did fantastic. Here in Western Washington we have a cool, marginal season for peppers, but I started it indoors, and brought it in whenever the weather was cold. I got about 50 very hot peppers the first year, and put it back out a second year for several more. See my channel for my 5 favorite vegetables to grow!

41. Kate Cruise on April 7, 2021 at 12:34 am

I love chard but every time I’ve grown it in pots it gets leaf miners. I’ve had more success with growing kalettes and lettuce. Tomatoes grow really well in grow bags rather than regular compost.

42. Kati Mäkinen on April 7, 2021 at 12:36 am

☘️🌱💚🌺

43. TheOther99% on April 7, 2021 at 12:37 am

Potatoes are ideal for containers. They are much less work and easier to harvest.

44. Samantha Trujillo on April 7, 2021 at 12:37 am

I’m new to gardening and I love your quick tips! They have been so helpful in my new hobby. Thanks for sharing!

45. Nadine Sawtell on April 7, 2021 at 12:38 am

Baby book Choi does well but make sure to cover it to protect against cabbage butterflies and similar pests

46. Janice Buttram on April 7, 2021 at 12:39 am

I tried my hand at a potted garden last year…the problem I had was very think skins. What am I doing wrong or what could different? Thank you for an answer and for your channel!

47. Laney Robb on April 7, 2021 at 12:40 am

Once I had a garden and my BROTHERS strawberry plant took over. Now we call it the strawberry patch instead of a garden. XD

48. brenda hippolyte on April 7, 2021 at 12:40 am

Can you do something on growing edibles on small balconys and around your flat . I have grown a few veg but love to learn more. Thanks love the videos.

49. Whytedavy Gardening And Worm Farm on April 7, 2021 at 12:40 am

My strawberries are looking love but the berries tend to rot on the bottom sometimes. Could it be because they are resting in the soil.

I intend to grow my scotch bonnet pepper in pots next year to make it easy to cover it if the weather is too cool.
    Great tip mixing seed in sand to auto thin seedlings.

50. Minette Maiden on April 7, 2021 at 12:42 am

Khol rabi is another crop I grow in containers, they are delicious and beautiful too, and have very short roots.