Common Raised Garden Bed Mistakes (To Avoid)

Common Raised Garden Bed Mistakes (To Avoid)

Raised garden beds have many benefits for gardeners, but common mistakes can make raised beds less effective. Gardener Scott discusses 10 common raised garden bed mistakes to avoid when choosing to enjoy the benefits of raised bed gardening. (Video #144)

Water wand: https://amzn.to/2XscvtA
6-mil Plastic Sheeting: https://amzn.to/3edmHMo

#EverythingGardening #GardenerScott

Click this link to SUBSCRIBE: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWsI0LmiDyezbnN2JCL4P9w?view_as=subscriber?sub_confirmation=1

You can help support the GardenerScott channel in four ways and it won’t cost you anything:

1.) Be part of the community by liking videos, subscribing, clicking the bell, commenting, and sharing.

2.) Watch the ads whenever you can. It just takes a few seconds and helps me a lot.

3.) If you use Amazon and want to buy anything at all, click through with this link: http://www.amazon.com/?tag=gardenerscott-20

4) Click on this affiliate link to TubeBuddy, a great way to explore information about your favorite YouTube channels: https://www.tubebuddy.com/GardenerScott

It doesn’t cost you any extra, but it helps me pay for plants, gardening supplies, and all of the other costs associated with running a YouTube channel.

Thank you for your support!

As an Amazon affiliate I benefit from qualified purchases.

1. mal rosee on April 6, 2021 at 11:28 pm

Very helpful

2. TheDayDreamer on April 6, 2021 at 11:30 pm

Great videos, I have a question, I am in FL, does it make sense to have your tomato plants alive in december and try to get them through the winter to produce again? Or should you not plant at all, kill them off and wait until feb or march to put the plants in the ground, it seems my tomato plants that made it through the winter have become disease ridden with what looks like fuscarium wilt. TY again

3. Odeedokey on April 6, 2021 at 11:30 pm

Cool! About to have some made in Ireland. Last spring I got a greenhouse and now these. Thank you.

4. Patriot4TheTree on April 6, 2021 at 11:30 pm

How do you protect against 🦌?

5. JAMIE Servin on April 6, 2021 at 11:31 pm

How often should I amend my soil during the growing season?

6. NAZIA ZUBAIR Cooking on April 6, 2021 at 11:33 pm

Nyc content plans stay with us

7. raterus on April 6, 2021 at 11:33 pm

I love how your backyard has no grass to mow 🙂

8. Huerta Orgánica 11 de Julio on April 6, 2021 at 11:36 pm

Great advice , best regards from Sinaloa, Mx…

9. Sherry Glisson on April 6, 2021 at 11:37 pm

Hey Mr Scott…ive watched a bunch of raised bed videos and so far I haven’t made any major errors….i will say that I seem to be the only person out there who is building THIER beds from concrete blocks instead of lumber. The reason for this is that I usually can’t afford steel beds it’s humid and wet here all through spring plus I got concrete blocks very cheap from a friend retiring from his business. My reasons for blocks is they don’t rot and they make a wonderful wide seat if you want to take a break in gardening. I have my biggest bed 4 feet wide 10 feet long and it’s 20 inches tall. Before I made the bed I dug down 18 inches so I could replace that Rocky compacted clay soil and have a bed that would be nearly 40 inches deep. Yea it was a lot of work but filled to the top with good soil I have a great spot for my plants. I got creative and have built beds that are square triangular and even 2 in an octagon shape…ive painted them different colors but the thing I live MOST is no bending or kneeling and I have a seat to rest when I get tired….

10. Da Vidich on April 6, 2021 at 11:38 pm

the soil around me is clay like. can I mix it with something to make it usable for my raised beds. I really don’t want it to go to waste

11. Balsey Dean De Witt, Jr. on April 6, 2021 at 11:39 pm

Right in the beginning, you should have built those beds higher! You don’t need elderly people bending over, COME ON MAN!

12. Tara firma on April 6, 2021 at 11:41 pm

Dirt is dead, soil is alive!

13. Pappy on April 6, 2021 at 11:42 pm

Too clinical, as per the squeaky clean US way, but some useful tips.
    For example, if you walk your paths (between beds) frequently there is zero need for anything more than mulch/tree bark to keep weeds at bay.

14. Amanda Grace on April 6, 2021 at 11:42 pm

I love how this guy speaks. He’s like the Bob Ross of gardening.

15. flutterby Lesley on April 6, 2021 at 11:43 pm

What kind of mulch???

16. jsfields00 on April 6, 2021 at 11:43 pm

My raised bed is 18ft x 18ft x 10in. I just walk through it like you do with ground level gardens

17. Delcina Bean-Burrows on April 6, 2021 at 11:45 pm

Thank you Scott!

18. BPB9973952 on April 6, 2021 at 11:46 pm

mulch is great, but I have had mulch that had weeds in it and the weeds became a huge problem. Watch where you get your mulch.

19. Melissa Jones on April 6, 2021 at 11:48 pm

amazing thanks

20. harxmoond on April 6, 2021 at 11:50 pm

Do you waterproof your wooden garden beds or just plant straight in it?

21. Andrew Wiseman on April 6, 2021 at 11:51 pm

hello what do you think about using sea weed for compost and how to use it after washing the salt off it i have raised beds i am just starting and ive built a polly tunnel in the middle made from polycarbonate and what you were saying about earth yes mine is not good ither topping it up with compost and sea weed first year thank you

22. przybyla420 on April 6, 2021 at 11:54 pm

Another common mistake is putting them running down a slope, not across the slope. Now if you crouch down to work the long sides of the bed you are standing sideways on a hill: not very comfortable.

23. Captain Shakespeare on April 6, 2021 at 11:54 pm

what (if any) special considerations should be taken when gardening in galvanized tubs? I imagine drain holes would have to be drilled? Is there a time when you would have to empty them out and start over again?

24. Praneeth on April 6, 2021 at 11:55 pm

Thank you Dr. Scott

25. April Coignard on April 6, 2021 at 11:56 pm

I didn’t consider blocks like cinder or brick, good idea.

26. S K on April 6, 2021 at 11:56 pm

It took me five seconds to say "oh I love this guy, I’m all the way in." Great voice, great info.

27. Florida Girl on April 6, 2021 at 11:57 pm

This guy is spot on! I’ve gardened all my life. Had a greenhouse, huge gardens. This is how I’ve always garden. It’s all about the soil!! And mulch! Now I’m in Florida. And a whole different zone. We have huge slash pines in the area. I go harvest the pine needles in areas where there is no housing. If you have leaves use them. And start a compost pile too!! Happy gardening everyone!

28. flutterby Lesley on April 6, 2021 at 11:57 pm

How often are you adding organic material ? Like once a month or whenever you feel it needs ?

29. andrew wolf on April 7, 2021 at 12:00 am

why go through all of the work when you could just plant in the ground????

30. przybyla420 on April 7, 2021 at 12:01 am

Good tip about overhead watering hastening the decomposition. Pallets make an ok if somewhat labor intensive to build raised bed. You can paint them with latex exterior paint to make them last a little longer. You can also line your beds with polyethylene to keep the soil off the wood (of course you’re now using plastics so this is up for debate ecologically)

31. steve on April 7, 2021 at 12:03 am

I have been gardening for over 40 years in the UK ,If you build raised beds put a preserve on them and put a waterproof membrane on the inside where ever the soil contacts. it makes the beds lasts for years.

32. Sharon Galloway on April 7, 2021 at 12:04 am

Thanks for the comment about not using wood. I have lots of pavers on hand. Ephinany!

33. Pretty Girl on April 7, 2021 at 12:04 am

Good information

34. Milkshake on April 7, 2021 at 12:05 am

Thank you for posting this!
    I am just about to start planning growing food in my backyard and I am completely new and needed advice, this video provides lots of insights, thank you!

35. Let's do better! on April 7, 2021 at 12:05 am

😂🤣 facts!

36. Chi J on April 7, 2021 at 12:08 am

Thank you soooo much!!!

37. michelle ng on April 7, 2021 at 12:09 am

So, I’ll need to remove the mulch to add in compost when needed to amend the soil?

38. Drew Fletcher on April 7, 2021 at 12:10 am

What wood do you suggest? I know cedar is best but it’s quite expensive. Suggestions?

39. D Hawk on April 7, 2021 at 12:12 am

Fantastic!

40. eunice and rick lunsted on April 7, 2021 at 12:12 am

I planted strawberries in my raised bed. How can I top up the soil this year since it’s settled now. I don’t want to cover the crown with more soil so would I have to dig them up , top up and replant?

41. Steven Biars on April 7, 2021 at 12:15 am

This guy is the Bob Ross of gardening. I love the laid back personality and great info.

42. D Buk on April 7, 2021 at 12:15 am

What is on the bottom of raised bed? Do u put floor or weed block screen on bottom before u fill with soil?

43. Kevin Taws on April 7, 2021 at 12:16 am

Excellent advice, thank you.

44. Dantheman on April 7, 2021 at 12:16 am

Thank you for video. Might add a segment for treated or untreated lumber.

45. Hoofbeats & a Girl on April 7, 2021 at 12:17 am

Is the mulch just straw? Is it mixed or just on top?

46. Michael Lane on April 7, 2021 at 12:18 am

What did you use to mulch?

47. Derp Derka on April 7, 2021 at 12:18 am

Love the videos, had to sub

48. Kalpesh Patel on April 7, 2021 at 12:24 am

Also… If your plants die and wither, don’t lose heart… save the dead plants and add them to a fresh pot/bed. Rotting plants are very good as manure.

49. GBL— The Ole Church 5 Acre Homestead on April 7, 2021 at 12:24 am