SPRING GARDEN PREPARATION | Zone 6 Gardening

SPRING GARDEN PREPARATION | Zone 6 Gardening

We are doing some things to prepare our zone 6 garden here in the midwest. The soil is workable and we are starting some seeds.

Go watch Christina’s video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0GnYyiU-Ts

This post contain affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Shop the supplies
Heirloom Seeds:
Herbs- http://amzn.to/2ppITuo
Vegetables- http://amzn.to/2DEjHFq
Greenhouse- http://amzn.to/2ppmCO7
Organic Seed Starting Mix- http://amzn.to/2FYH5j6

WANT TO START YOUR OWN BLOG?

Learn how our family supports ourselves full-time on our homestead with our blog and Youtube channel in my FREE blogging success masterclass: https://www.farmhouseonboone.com/masterclass-registration

Watch my FREE essential oils class: bit.ly/farmhouseoils

Get access to my subscriber library with all my free ebooks and printables- https://www.farmhouseonboone.com/get-access-to-the-subscriber-library/

Read the rest of the article: https://farmhouseonboone.com/farmhouse-on-boone/zone-6-garden-update-from-the-farmhouse

I have to admit I am a ‘fly by the seat of my pants’ gardener. I’m not one to test the ph of the soil, and research various organic gardening methods.ย  The words ‘hydroponics’ and ‘raised beds’ mean nothing to me. Till the ground, add some seeds, pick the weeds, make sure there is water and sunshine…that’s about the extent of my gardening strategy.

I’m sure there are much better ways to do things, but this formula has produced a pretty great harvest for the past several years. The only times my garden performed poorly was the years I just simply neglected it. (As in last year when I was pregnant and deathly afraid of toxoplasmosis ridden cat poop. More on that saga here- https://farmhouseonboone.com/farmhouse-on-boone/my-favorite-scriptures-to-get-me-through-times-of-worry/.)

As a general rule, greens and root vegetables can go in the ground earlier than tomatoes, peppers, basil and flowers. Some plants can handle a little frost, and some will shrivel and die with the mention of it. This info is usually on the back of seed packets.

Preparing the soil
This year we had a whole box full of seeds, some that were leftover from last year and some that people gave us.

I divided the seeds into three categories:
1. Seeds to start indoors in March.
2. Ones that can go straight into the ground in early spring
3. Those that do better going straight in the ground later in the season.

Start Seeds Indoors in March
The seeds in this category are ones that need a longer growing season, but lots of warm weather and sunshine. They can’t go in the ground in March, but they need to get started that early for a timely harvest. For us, these are tomatoes, peppers, cabbage, basil, sunflowers, zinnias and cosmos.

This year we just repurposed some egg cartons for seed starting. I used an organic seed starting mix.

The key to getting seeds to sprout is lots of moisture and sunshine. If the seeds aren’t watered a couple times a day they won’t sprout. I like to use a spray bottle for this, so they don’t get oversaturated.

A south facing window is best for light. We picked up a little greenhouse for seed starting this year. This way the seeds stay warm and get plenty of good outdoor sunshine. We will probably have to bring the seedlings indoors on super cold March nights.

By time it is time for the seedlings to go in the ground, the paper cartons should pull apart easily from being watered so often. I plan to put the directly in the ground, so I don’t have to disturb the roots.

Plant When the Soil is Workable
I consulted the back of my seed packets to find out which ones can be planted as soon as the soil is workable. In the midwest, that is right now!

Greens, like spinach, kale, lettuce and arugula, prefer cooler weather. Right now is a perfect time to get those going.

Check outย this handy resource from Urban Farmerย to get the planting schedule for your zone: https://www.ufseeds.com/learning/planting-schedules/

Check out my other gardening posts:
7 Tips for growing a Beautiful Cut Flower Garden- https://farmhouseonboone.com/farmhouse-on-boone/tips-for-growing-a-cut-flower-garden-and-how-to-make-simple-arrangements/
How to Make Homemade Fermented Pickles- https://farmhouseonboone.com/farmhouse-on-boone/the-easiest-way-to-make-homemade-pickles-from-all-those-extra-garden-cucumbers/
Homemade Sauerkraut (Great for all those fresh heads of cabbage!)- https://farmhouseonboone.com/farmhouse-on-boone/homemadesauerkraut/

My video equipment:
Camera- http://amzn.to/2BebVEO
Lens- http://amzn.to/2C2cKwY
Lights- http://amzn.to/2C1H8rt
Microphone- http://amzn.to/2s9EobG
Tripod- http://amzn.to/2C1KFpJ

Business inquiries: lisa@farmhouseonboone.com

Music: Morning Mandolin by Chris Haugen

1. The Mennonite Farmhouse on April 7, 2021 at 11:54 pm

I’m in zone 4 and I started broccoli, cabbage, parsley, thyme, and summer savory seeds indoors… I’m getting ready to start tomatoes and peppers this week… ready for the snow to melt… here in PA… rarely have snow this late in the year… I noticed you don’t have any MIGardener seeds… I love their heirloom seeds for $0.99 a pack.

2. Bibiane Sproule on April 7, 2021 at 11:55 pm

Thanks for the great sharing Lisa, you and Christina go very well together! Love gardening, we’re in Canada, not as cool zone as Christina!๐Ÿ˜‰. Great with the flower growing, we do fresh cut flowers in Canada and go to Markets!๐Ÿ’

3. Anderson Silver on April 7, 2021 at 11:56 pm

I live in New England, we had one 75 degree day in February and three big storms the last few weeks.

4. Kristin Harris on April 7, 2021 at 11:58 pm

I love your channel. Iโ€™m in zone 7 (NC), so we tilled everything up this past weekend but are still having a few frosts. Do you mind telling me where you got your greenhouse?

5. Nancy Dee on April 7, 2021 at 11:59 pm

Where do u live?? Im in Colorado Springs

6. Jackie Hodge on April 8, 2021 at 12:00 am

My favorite time of year! Spring! Baby chickens! Garden! ๐Ÿ…๐Ÿฅฆ๐Ÿฃ๐ŸŒป

7. Rita Kessler on April 8, 2021 at 12:03 am

8. wjcdmartin on April 8, 2021 at 12:04 am

I so enjoy your channel. You have so many wonderful things going on in your life with children, home, garden, blog, sewing. Could you do a video on "time management" to let us know how you accomplish the things you do in a day? How you prioritize. You’re always so relaxed and happy-go-lucky and I’d love to see a glimpse into "a day in the life" on the farm.

9. Jacqueline Lewis on April 8, 2021 at 12:04 am

Thanks for this video. Where did you get that portable greenhouse?

10. Tog Silvey on April 8, 2021 at 12:05 am

Your children are adorable!!

11. mollybellswallow on April 8, 2021 at 12:08 am

Love your channel and love gardening so this was the perfect video. Hello from England

12. mickyunit on April 8, 2021 at 12:10 am

Recently discovered your channel. Really enjoy your content ๐Ÿ˜Š.

13. kscriv on April 8, 2021 at 12:14 am

Sorry this may be a really dumb question, but what do you mean by zones in gardens? Iโ€™m from uk ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง

14. Mandy BEWKES on April 8, 2021 at 12:14 am

Love your video’s. Question even though you put the late vegetables out do you still start growing them now?

15. C O C O N V E R T on April 8, 2021 at 12:14 am

i would love a video on your cutflowers garden tips ! <3

16. CC3 Mathews on April 8, 2021 at 12:15 am

Can’t wait to see your progress!

17. Joy James on April 8, 2021 at 12:16 am

Can you please do a video about your chickens? I’m a first time chicken mama and I have 4 chicks that are 6 weeks oldโ˜บ

18. Abby Hollyn on April 8, 2021 at 12:17 am

yay! I ‘m also zone 6! lots of good information packed into this video. I"ll have to go back and watch it again and take some notes! <3

19. Marly The Dino lol on April 8, 2021 at 12:18 am

I am getting excited about gardening also here is Va. I found a company that has heirloom seeds and wanted to let you know so you can check them out. They also have a you tube channel and have tons of great videos on gardening.

20. The DIY Mommy on April 8, 2021 at 12:20 am

Oh, I’m so jealous of your bare soil outside and that you get to plant some veggies already! Lovely video as always, Lisa, and thanks for doing this collab with me.

21. Tiny Cooking with Kim Westmoreland on April 8, 2021 at 12:21 am

Iโ€™ve got potatoes, onions, tomatoes and bell peppers in the ground so far. I have planted mammoth sunflowers to hopefully give some shade when it starts getting really hot.

22. Yana Gudmundson on April 8, 2021 at 12:23 am

Love this!! Reminded me I need to start planting my seeds. Would you do a video on composting?

23. Konstance Leigh on April 8, 2021 at 12:23 am

Loved! "Fly by the seat of my pants gardener", funny visual! Here in May 2019! Thank-you Lisa!๐ŸŒฑ๐ŸŠ๐ŸŒบ

24. Melinda Markley on April 8, 2021 at 12:24 am

Perfect timing! I just moved into zone 6 so this was very helpful. Thank you!

25. Susan Velez on April 8, 2021 at 12:25 am

That looks amazing, can’t wait to see all your goodies. I’m still feeding my starter! ๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿป๐Ÿ™…๐Ÿป

26. BLUE WATER PINES on April 8, 2021 at 12:26 am

I love your channel…may I inquire why you do not show your animals and barn???we are in Santa Rosa Beach,Fla…please look at my new channel.Thank you dear.love you.Seedsavers.com

27. Miss Matti on April 8, 2021 at 12:26 am

So exciting! Your friend Christina lives where I live! ๐Ÿ™‚

28. Walk By Faith Family on April 8, 2021 at 12:27 am

Yay! I wish I had more garden space! Iโ€™m going to fill every pot I can find with garden veggies! ๐Ÿค—

29. Elizabeth Smith on April 8, 2021 at 12:28 am

Would you ever consider making a gardening for beginners type of video series? Broken down by plants, veggies and so on. I get so twisted around on google. Thanks for another wonderful video! Iโ€™m looking forward to checking out your friends channel.

Be well!

30. Emma Payne on April 8, 2021 at 12:33 am

Our allotment is so not ready in the UK. Have fun

31. Me on April 8, 2021 at 12:33 am

Yeah! ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽˆTwo of my fav vloggers! Imagine that! ๐Ÿ™‚ Tfs…๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•

32. Norma Lopez Ingle on April 8, 2021 at 12:35 am

I just learned a lot from watching this video. I dont know if can do a garden this year we will be gone for a couple of weeks in the summer and i wont be able to take care of them. Last year my garden did really well. I had so many tomatoes they were sweet and delicious.

33. My My on April 8, 2021 at 12:36 am

Love your channel!

34. Semi Veg on April 8, 2021 at 12:36 am

I LOVE pumpkins; I’m obsessed with them. I tried growing them one year and had a HUGE patch of vines and was so excited about all the pumpkins I was going to grow. Well, the second any started to sprout, the whole patch came down with some funky powdery mildew. I don’t like using any synthetic toxic products, so what else can I do? I also get them on my cucumbers. I’ve tried homemade stuff, but nothing works.

35. Laura Jackson on April 8, 2021 at 12:37 am

I would love to see a stem flower video

36. The Plant-Based Homestead on April 8, 2021 at 12:38 am

Okay, HOW are you getting the pumpkins to grow? We’re doing something wrong. They start growing but no fruit. I also noticed you put rebar or something between your greenhouse. Is that to hold it in place? Ours literally flew away because the wind took it last year. lol We have another one we keep with grow lights on every shelf for inside. I’d LOVE to hear more tips and tricks for gardening. I’m in zone 5 in Central NY.

37. Keith Gall on April 8, 2021 at 12:39 am

Link to update?

38. Kati R. on April 8, 2021 at 12:41 am

That greenhouse with the zipper looks like a fantastic idea Lisa! You’ve put me in the mood for starting some seeds! Although I will have to look it up as we still have snow in the ground and can’t really plant until Memorial day.

39. Donna on April 8, 2021 at 12:43 am

Looking forward to seeing your garden!๐Ÿฅ•๐ŸŒฑ๐Ÿ‘ฉ๐Ÿผโ€๐ŸŒพ๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒป

40. ArmindaHeart on April 8, 2021 at 12:44 am

Yay! You did a garden video! Keep us updated. I do mulch gardening, which is a super easy, [possibly] free, stress free way to garden. Sheet mulch by layering organic matter (no digging/tilling) in the fall, Plant in the spring. No weeding, hardly ever need to water, and the soil is fed continuously. No tilling keeps the soil life alive to feed your plants throughout the season. Thought Iโ€™d share. Happy gardening!

41. Tiffany Arpin on April 8, 2021 at 12:45 am

New subbie from Christines ch!!!You’re my neighbor. .lol..I live in Ks.!!Hugs..Have a Great week hun!๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒž๐ŸŒท

42. Those Crazy Sorokas on April 8, 2021 at 12:47 am

Like someone else mentioned, I would loved a gardening for beginners video series and garden follow up.

Iโ€™m like a major gardening newbie (Iโ€™m in zone 9, I think???) and am currently looking up stuff to plant. Hopefully Iโ€™ll get more wins than losses this year. lol.

43. Swany Soup on April 8, 2021 at 12:47 am

Thank you so much! Very helpful tips. I am starting my own backyard garden for the first time this year, up here in British Columbia, Canada ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ. Super excited!!

44. Momma From Scratch on April 8, 2021 at 12:47 am

This style of video I felt I was sitting across your porch with you! Loved it. Ive planted peas, and sald greens already along with a few flower mixes. Cant wait for the update.

45. Alicia Bowman on April 8, 2021 at 12:49 am

Iโ€™m in zone 2/3 too! In Alberta…we still have snow on everything too. So jealous of your climate and super excited for this season to start up here!

46. Lauren Quear on April 8, 2021 at 12:50 am

Looking for your cut flower video. Can u link it?

47. Anna Grace on April 8, 2021 at 12:50 am

That was not very detailed and not helpful. Generic overall ibfo what you did….hmmmm.

48. Marly The Dino lol on April 8, 2021 at 12:51 am

oops forgot to tell you the name lol MIgardener Heirloom Seeds

49. NapturallyBrown13 on April 8, 2021 at 12:52 am

Just went on a binge of watching videos on your channel. I noticed the crate in you living that you stored pillows in says St. Louis, MO. (This is from you Christmas 2017 home tour) Are you from there? Iโ€™m super excited because thatโ€™s my home. โค๏ธโค๏ธ Great tips btw in this video.

50. Jill H on April 8, 2021 at 12:52 am

I canโ€™t wait until I have the time and space to have a garden!! So fun!