Watch Before You Buy Dollar Tree Gardening Items: Seed Starting Potting Mix and Wildflower Blend

You may have the same issues, thoughts or concerns I had, so before you buy these Dollar Tree gardening items, American Seed Seed Starting Potting Mix and American Seed Wildflower Blend Boxes (Hummingbird and Pollinator), watch what I’ve experienced.

1. Brenda on April 7, 2021 at 11:15 pm

Vesma…… saw asparagus seeds at Walmart today…..In Portland Oregon…

2. Thunder Rolls Media on April 7, 2021 at 11:21 pm

Peat is fine, great, to start seeds

3. William on April 7, 2021 at 11:24 pm

They use industrial waste dust from the manufacturing of perlite and vermiculite into their mix. If you get that soil tested legally it will contain trace amounts of both of these products.

4. Brianna D'Amico on April 7, 2021 at 11:26 pm

I got soo many seeds from dollar tree this year! As well as the same boxed wildflower mixes you have! I’m hoping they germinate well! 🤞

5. Misty Sedillo on April 7, 2021 at 11:27 pm

Lowes sells Jiffy starter mix really inexpensive with a good blend. It actually works out to be the same price just better quality!

6. Beth Hubbs on April 7, 2021 at 11:29 pm

I direct sowed a box of impatiens seeds from Dollar Tree to my garden and got immediate germination. TONS of seedlings grew. The box was full of vermiculite and I couldn’t see the seeds so I wasn’t sure how dense they would be, otherwise I would have sown more thinly. Weeks of watering later and the plants have gotten secondary leaves but none of the plants appear to be impatiens. Not one. It looks more like a wildflower mix or something. Some are alyssum, a few are California poppies and most others are yet to be identified. Because they are so dense I have to dig them up, pull them apart and separate them into other areas of my garden so I can let them grow up and see what they turn out to be. I hope they aren’t weeds!

7. Maria Bradford on April 7, 2021 at 11:30 pm

Nice video!

8. Lynne Shawe on April 7, 2021 at 11:31 pm

You get what you pay for. Going cheap isn’t always the right thing to do.

9. Macki Pierce on April 7, 2021 at 11:31 pm

Ive always started seeds with peet?? Jiffy seed starter is also peet . There is a difference between "seed starter" and potting soil. The bag should have also told you the contents 🙂

10. Derron Gooden: Garden and Lifestyle. on April 7, 2021 at 11:33 pm

Thanks for the info, My Friend.

11. Tracy Conant on April 7, 2021 at 11:36 pm

It is the dollar tree.

12. Z E on April 7, 2021 at 11:39 pm

Your better off buying dirt from 99cent the purple store

13. Carla on April 7, 2021 at 11:39 pm

New viewer… I’m excited to see how your flower garden turns out. I’m starting a flower garden for the first time this year. I have gardened all my life (over 40 years), literally grew up helping in the garden as most have. But I never really got into flowers. We always had our landscaping done by someone else. Since buying our new farm a few years ago, we decided to do our own and are finally getting around to it. I’m finding that flowers are just as much work, if not more so, than fruits and veggies. But the beauty will be worth it! Best wishes! Thanks for sharing your journey.

14. Charlotte Clark on April 7, 2021 at 11:40 pm

It’s soil that you can get and add what you need to it for a dollar. You get what you pay for.

15. Terriel Graham on April 7, 2021 at 11:40 pm

Its the same company that makes jiffy starter mix and dollar tree starter mix and soil, plantation products. Make sure you pour boiling water over soil first to kill fungus knats. If starting indoor seeds indoors. Happy growing🌼🌱🌿

16. Brenda on April 7, 2021 at 11:40 pm

Yes Tracy !!!!! I bought several bags last year.. It was all peat… I started my seeds and they did POORLY… I had to repot them in a better brand to perk up and grow….I’m glad you noticed that. This year I saw at my Dollar Tree they have a new brand…..I’ve bought the Dollar Tree seeds forever and haven’t had any issues… Last night, I started 2014 cucumber seeds from Dollar Tree in a good starter mix. They germinated last year….we’ll see…… I have shopped Dollar Tree for 10+

17. Greene Thumb Sisters on April 7, 2021 at 11:41 pm

Thanks for the information…I had no idea that Dollar Tree even carried potting soil or seeds.

18. ellescrapper on April 7, 2021 at 11:42 pm

Thanks for the heads up on the soil, tfs.
    In His Grace Lorisa

19. Laurie Bott on April 7, 2021 at 11:42 pm

I’ve gotten the box blends before they never came up.

20. Leo Is that crazy on April 7, 2021 at 11:43 pm

Still work for me.Probably it’s blended in to it? It’s good so idk what ur problem with this I been using this stuff for years stilll work

21. pretty money on April 7, 2021 at 11:46 pm

its a DOLLAR…. but this is great to mix with a cheap soil or potting mix

22. Christian Nomad on April 7, 2021 at 11:47 pm

Great information, thanks for sharing with us

23. unpatonot1 on April 7, 2021 at 11:49 pm

I must have gotten lucky with my purchase of the seeding mix. I was impressed with the amount of perlite and vermiculite. I didn’t need to amend so now to see if the seeds grow too.

24. The Gardening Zebra on April 7, 2021 at 11:50 pm

Oh wow! Thanks for pointing out the boxed seed information.

25. James Rene on April 7, 2021 at 11:52 pm

I love dollar tree seeds . I had a lot of success with the zinnas and marigolds, I use to by Marigold flowers at Lowe’s and they never done any good . Starting them from seed I only got a few marigolds come up but they had over a hundred flowers on it all summer long. I’m planting the same this year but adding a hummingbird mix to the flower bed from dollar tree. See how it goes

26. 2924sunny on April 7, 2021 at 11:55 pm

FYI:
    In case it interests you & you are unaware, American Seeds is owned by none other than MONSANTO. : (

27. Brenda on April 7, 2021 at 11:58 pm

years…..never saw asparagus seeds.

28. yYstle Illzwillz on April 7, 2021 at 11:58 pm

Da Whole World 🌎 should be built up by Now

29. Spicey Ky on April 7, 2021 at 11:58 pm

I don’t see the value in those dollar bags anymore. Just make your own is what I say. Nice video!

30. Macki Pierce on April 8, 2021 at 12:00 am

Here are some more issues people don’t know about the gardening supplies from the dollar tree 🥺 Some of the planters won’t last long outside. You would be better off spending a little more for a better product.
    If you just want to give gardening a try then Start at the dollar tree.
    Because if you can make that stuff work then you can grow ANYTHING.
    Also if you want to get better quality seeds at a discount ,buy your seeds at the end of the season. Ive gotten burpee seeds for 10 cents a pack and the american seed packs for a penny.
    Save yogurt cups for seed starters… And if you can compost plants freaking love compost 🙂

31. Eartha Domingue on April 8, 2021 at 12:01 am

You are right. I will add things to it. So happy I didn’t buy too many. Just picked up a big bag of Jiffy seed starter mix. I am so glad you wasn’t going to show us bugs in the mix.

32. Mo's World on April 8, 2021 at 12:01 am

Not even one ball of perlite….

33. goatgal7 on April 8, 2021 at 12:04 am

My favorite flower you got is the Petunia.I plant them in mass in the front of my house…..wow, so beautiful and the comments I get from everyone just warms my heart.They come up on their own the next year too!Sorry to hear about your experience with the seed starting mix.I buy coco coir to start seeds.When they are seedlings I move them to little pots with potting mix.Have you tried winter sowing with milk jugs?

34. Debra Magee on April 8, 2021 at 12:06 am

Marigold plants are the best to go around your vegetables to keep away bugs.

Start making your own compost. Egg shells are great. You’ll be surprised how much you can collect.

Be prepared that only 1/4th of the seeds are going to produce well. It’s just the way it is. Not lack of effort on your part.

I’ve been watching several of your videos & your doing a good job. You really seem to enjoy gardening!

Shalom

35. Marie on April 8, 2021 at 12:08 am

Tfs Vesma. I’m sorry for the typo. Did not realize autocorrect changed what I typed.

36. XXbiz on April 8, 2021 at 12:08 am

Update???

37. David C on April 8, 2021 at 12:09 am

I make my own I buy a huge 3 cubic feet thing of peat and a large bag of vermiculite Usually do 3-4 parts peat and one part vermiculite and moisten with boiling water and allow it to cool works great.

38. Toni Marie Bullock on April 8, 2021 at 12:09 am

That’s what seed starting mix is. Soil is too heavy for roots to be able to grow easily and breathe.

39. All Things Possible on April 8, 2021 at 12:11 am

Thanks… I wondered !

40. Cannamunity ENT on April 8, 2021 at 12:12 am

I got a bag last 2 years ago and had a rusted screw in it. Not worth it IMO.