15 Medicinal Herbs and Their Uses for This Fall | Herb Garden Tour

These 15 medicinal herbs are easy to grow at home! Join me for an herbal garden tour and learn which medicinal herbs and their uses I’m growing for use all year-round but especially during fall and winter. Click “SHOW MORE” for list and “MORE ABOUT ME” for some freebies!

Being able to grow your own medicine and use them to help aid your family through ailments is a wonderful thing. Here are my top 15 medicinal herbs:

1. Elderberry (my elderberry syrup recipe https://youtu.be/R_l7OGi4YNk )
2. Feverfew
3. Marshmallow
4. Valerian
5. Yarrow
6. Chamomile
7. Echinacea
8. Holy Basil (Tulsi)
9. Wood Betony
10. Hyssop
11. Lavender
12. Peppermint
13. Sage
14. Lemon Balm
15. Horehound

To get on the waitlist and for more info on the herbal class and challenge with the Pioneering Today Academy https://melissaknorris.com/PTA

**********************
MORE ABOUT ME

Howdy! I’m so glad you’re here. I’m Melissa from Pioneering Today and a 5th generation homesteader where I’m doing my best to hold onto the old traditions in a modern world and share them with others.

For raising, cooking and preserving your own food come hang out with on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/melissaknorris/ and Facebook https://www.facebook.com/melissaknorris/

Click any of the below links for FREE resources and trainings to help you in your homestead!

Homemade Sourdough Starter Series https://melissaknorris.com/learnsourdough

How to Pressure Can Series https://melissaknorris.com/pressurecanning

Beginners Home Canning Safety https://melissaknorris.com/canningclass

**********
My Books:

The Family Garden Plan http://familygardenplan.com/
Hand Made 100+ From Scratch Recipes http://handmadethebook.com/ (has an herbal chapter with recipes)
The Made-from-Scratch Life http://madefromscratchlife.com/

**********************

1. Chelsey McCarthy on April 9, 2021 at 11:52 pm

So im late and you might not see this but maybe someone else will know, I didnt hear any herbs for pain relief. I LOVE clove. Its incredibly effective topically and its my go to. But I cant grow it here so I’m searching for an herb that might be comparable. Any suggestions?

2. Aniek Scharenborg on April 9, 2021 at 11:52 pm

You’re so good at making videos! You recover so well after small mess ups
    I like you very charismatic

3. Sara Cummins on April 9, 2021 at 11:52 pm

Thank you!!!🌱 🕊️🙌🏼🕊️🌿

4. J B on April 9, 2021 at 11:52 pm

You are amazing. Thanks for sharing with us

5. Anna Yudin on April 9, 2021 at 11:55 pm

What are those beautiful purple flowers by the sage and mint?? 😍

6. Pursue Simple Joy on April 9, 2021 at 11:56 pm

For plants that you just use the root for medicinally (like Marshmallow) do you compost the leaves/flowers/stems or use them for other things?

7. Theresa D on April 9, 2021 at 11:57 pm

Thank you for the detailed tour of the herbs in your gardens. I’m longing to get mine established. I can’t wait to start planting. I’ll be starting a lot of seeds indoors soon so I can enjoy watching things grow as I wait for the thaw in New England.

8. Prepper In Tn on April 9, 2021 at 11:57 pm

Yes please show us when you harvest the Echinacea roots 💕🌞😃

9. Ebrahim Snyders on April 9, 2021 at 11:58 pm

Hi Melissa, thanks so much for the great videos and the medicinal values of each of your Herbs, Ebrahim and Merise South Africa.

10. Amy N on April 9, 2021 at 11:58 pm

Mint can relax muscles to the point of causing acid reflux if you drink it too frequently, FYI!

11. Denny Stamps on April 9, 2021 at 11:59 pm

I really appreciate this video and others you have made I surely have learned a lot. Besides being a very Beautiful Woman your an extremely knowledgeable person when it comes to growing plants I hit 70 this coming November and just watching your videos I realize how very little I do know.
    Thanks for taking time to making and teaching us with your videos

12. JACQUELINE LEBRON on April 9, 2021 at 11:59 pm

NYC to the MOUNTAINS Looking for land to start our homestead! 2020-21 can’t wait! Great info! My new mentor, thx you so much! Keep them coming!❤️💡💭💡❤️💡😍

13. Sheila Reynolds on April 9, 2021 at 11:59 pm

don’t use lemon balm if you have thyroid issues..do your research.

14. Judy Hempstead on April 10, 2021 at 12:00 am

Melissa, can you please make a video showing how to use the dehydrater…I just ordered the one you have listed on your video.

15. rcat32 on April 10, 2021 at 12:00 am

You’re my role model as i start homesteading and gardening ny myself at age 69. I struggle wirh the work but next year for sure i need to get these herbs into the ground plus vegies and more fruit trees as the pear tree hasnt done anything but grow leaves and get taller. Ive also been getting canning supplies as the food pantries and highrises and kids lunch programs throw away tons of food on a daily basis. I compost alot of it but want to get a freezer. I just found a second dehydrator. You’re lucky you have support. Thanks for the herbal peptalk. I’m in Pittsburgh city but have half an acre.

16. Misty Finley on April 10, 2021 at 12:02 am

Where can I get the rubber boots you wear in your garden?

17. A C on April 10, 2021 at 12:03 am

Thank you for the list, I have a few of these plant’s growing I live up by the Canadian border, so I understand the slugs, and rain, cool summer’s.

18. Andreas Koch on April 10, 2021 at 12:04 am

Folks, believe her, if she say to plant Peppermints in Pots! I was planting Peppermint on my fruit trees and in my herb spiral. I have now peppermint everywhere in my Garden. When i use the lawn mover, its even a pain in the eyes, but smells gorgeous 🙂

19. Sheri Karanasos on April 10, 2021 at 12:11 am

I have a purple variety. Is it the same? I also watched another video on Elderberry’s and they said to cut them down to the ground each year. I bravely did that this Spring and yes the plant came back tall, strong and beautiful but there are no flowers. 🙁 How do you care for them and is my variety medicinal as well or just ornate? Thanks for anyone who can comment.

20. T E on April 10, 2021 at 12:11 am

Thank you for sharing this with us, great information! ❤️

21. Money Moves on April 10, 2021 at 12:12 am

I want elderberry as well 😐

22. Suzie Carter on April 10, 2021 at 12:12 am

How do we get on your email list?

23. Felix Fletcher-Smith on April 10, 2021 at 12:15 am

what are the pink flowers by the sage? They are so vibrant against the white building behind

24. dwk49 on April 10, 2021 at 12:15 am

My Lemon did spread everywhere, but then it disappeared completely.

25. Chris P. Bacon on April 10, 2021 at 12:16 am

Your channel is great. If I could offer a bit of criticism though. I feel that the easiest YTers to listen to are the ones who talk like they are having a conversation with a friend. You do this a lot but there are times when you use upspeak and overly exaggerated annunciation. Speaking in a conversation style is not easy and there’s no way I could do 5% as good as you but that’s my 2cents.

26. Catherine Glinskaya on April 10, 2021 at 12:17 am

great info! I appreciate naming the plants and what they are used for. Could you also share some details on how to actually use these herbs? fresh, dried, steeped/ rubbed, something else?

27. LittleTree Oppy on April 10, 2021 at 12:19 am

We bought a home on 2 acres that was previously owned by an elderly couple that had eventually passed away because of old age… The owned the house for like 20 years… Soooo many medicinal herbs are all over the yard. The yard is overgrown for the last 10 years so each season from now on, I get a new supply and surprise here and there. This spring I am determined to get all of the original gardens weeded, all the poison ivy out, and back to their original glory.

28. Erin on April 10, 2021 at 12:19 am

I absolutely LOVE your videos! Do you have any showing you harvesting your herbs?

29. Sandra Hammer on April 10, 2021 at 12:20 am

How do I get on your email list?

30. Judy Vance on April 10, 2021 at 12:21 am

How do you tell difference between elderberry and tree of heaven?

31. Mary W on April 10, 2021 at 12:21 am

How often can you use these herbs and should you not use them long term?

32. Matthew Willis on April 10, 2021 at 12:23 am

Did the course every come out? Late to the party. Would love to see it!

33. steve trapp on April 10, 2021 at 12:25 am

Mail list what mail list ?

34. Nikki on April 10, 2021 at 12:25 am

I just made a new bottle of yarrow tincture a few days ago for my medical kit. I have cut myself more times than I care to admit and I can attest to the fact that it stops bleeding and quickly! Everything looks great, I just bought The Family garden plan and it’s an EXCELLENT read! 👍🏻👌🏻

Have you grown blue spice basil? I’m growing it for the first time this year and it’s a keeper! It tastes like bubblegum and chai, it’s yummy 😀

35. Plant fairy fl on April 10, 2021 at 12:26 am

I can’t wait until my elderberry blooms!

36. Michelle on April 10, 2021 at 12:29 am

Where did you get seeds for these? Love your videos!

37. Tracy vancuylenburg on April 10, 2021 at 12:30 am

Hi Melissa greetings from melbourne Australia 🇦🇺. Thanks for sharing your knowledge about the herbs in your Garden …

38. Quantum Timelines on April 10, 2021 at 12:31 am

My favorite weeds as potential medicinals-
    Ribwort Plantain (all Plantains) especially for spider bites), Dandelions (liver and digestion), Horse Tail (used for a month and then take a couple months off for silica for cell strength). False Lettuce (pain relief).
    Thanks for your videos. I discovered you this morning and have been binge watching. Now it’s time to get outside.
    Are you in Skagit?

39. Claudia Vogel on April 10, 2021 at 12:35 am

I am finally growing my beloved herbs and vegetables, after five years living on our our little piece of heaven, here in North Texas. I have many of the herbs you mentioned (including four varieties of large elderberry plants). I have seeds for what I haven’t actually planted this year. They WILL get planted in the Spring! I have struggled with where to plant the “invasive” herbs, and I think you gave me an idea when you talked about your Lemon Balm and Horehound (both of which are currently in my herb garden), although I did worry about them taking over. We have a 80 foot gravel driveway, with a patch of green down the middle. I’m thinking I might run the rototiller down the middle, dig in some compost and plant the mint, Lemon Balm and Horehound In the middle of the driveway, (20 feet apart) and let them grow. If they grow into the gravel, or even into the grass 4 feet away – so what! Like you said, they will just get cut off by the lawn mower. The driveway is close enough to the garden, that I can water the plants there, when I water the garden. =D

40. JenReid12 on April 10, 2021 at 12:35 am

I tried using valerian when I was nursing in a juvenile detention facility as charge nurse as I thought it would be better than medication for addicts and alcoholics that had Hep C. Unfortunately it affected their livers increasing their liver function tests (blood test) which means it was very hard on their livers. I am not suggesting that this would happen to people with healthy livers. I love your show and love watching you, I can see your enthusiasm.

41. Carolyn Qammaz PA. on April 10, 2021 at 12:37 am

What type of lavender did you plant? The two I have smells like a foot rub. Not so nice.

42. Darrell Lee on April 10, 2021 at 12:39 am

I have red elder berries, but have a hard time finding info abought red elder. Can you use red elder I herd it’s more dangerous than the black elder.

43. yashashree clarice on April 10, 2021 at 12:43 am

i have special medicinal herbs visit me guys

44. Violet Althouse on April 10, 2021 at 12:46 am

What is the beautiful plant growing near the mint. It has bright purple flowers with soft velvety silver leaves?

45. Donnette Henderson on April 10, 2021 at 12:47 am

Thank you! I keep planting more and more herbs as well. Sometimes difficult to find places but you gave me some ideas.

46. Fleetwood Patch on April 10, 2021 at 12:47 am

Melissa, do you feel lemon balm is fairly easy to grow indoors?

47. Terry Carefoot on April 10, 2021 at 12:48 am

We have lots of yarrow it grows wild on my property

48. Heidi Misfeldt on April 10, 2021 at 12:48 am

❤😃

49. Cathleen on April 10, 2021 at 12:50 am

I planted Holy Basil for the first time this year and I LOVE the fragrance-very different from more traditional varieties.

50. Lori on April 10, 2021 at 12:51 am

Good luck containing the lemon balm. I planted one small plant and it has spread over 200 feet away! Nice to have lots but it is everywhere.