Picking out lumber for a raised garden bed

Take a trip to my second home, LOWES! To start building a raised bed on our hill. Also, talk about what kind of garden we had in California.
——————————————-

If you like this video, please like and comment below to let us know you are watching. We would love to hear from you.

website: https://sewtheland.com

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sewtheland/

Love our vlogs? You can support our endeavors with a contribution through Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=4112701

Where to buy tools from this video and to support us for free:

Song: Cannonball Blues / SHOAL CREEK STRANGLERS

driving song: Ink Spots – I don’t want to set the world on fire

1. mike johnson on April 9, 2021 at 11:36 pm

2 whole…different places…wow!
    You better sit down..take a break. (but yeah I know what you mean…local lumberyard)

2. Growing Little Country homestead on April 9, 2021 at 11:38 pm

How have I missed this video from 3 year’s ago.

3. Cleo Castonguay on April 9, 2021 at 11:39 pm

Love your choice of music… Please keep doing that in your videos.. I believe your on the right track with your raised bed garden. You don’t have to dig too deep… set your front board on top of the grass and dig the ground deep enough for the back board to be level with the front board. Dig out the soil from inside the box… put brown cardboard on top of soil in the bottom of the box than fill it with good compost, manure and garden soil. It should work good for you ! Good luck!

4. Batpherlang Kharkrang on April 9, 2021 at 11:45 pm

Hi…… Jason, thank you for sharing your video homestead πŸ‘‹ bye πŸ‘‹ bye πŸ‘‹ bye πŸ‘‹ πŸŽ₯πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

5. boatbuilder1 on April 9, 2021 at 11:47 pm

Home Depot and Lowe’s SUCK! Go to Menards they will put HD and Lowes to Shame!

6. Little Pig Boy on April 9, 2021 at 11:49 pm

Such good taste in music. What a great channel.

7. Michelle Barham on April 9, 2021 at 11:49 pm

Lol..I thought they were meatballs! Valentine’s cookies sound much betterπŸ˜‰

8. Dennis Mott on April 9, 2021 at 11:56 pm

Redwood and Cedar are specialty woods and if you look for them they will be in there own lumber yards. Here we have a yard called Redwood City which carries only redwood and cedar.

9. Daniel Buse on April 9, 2021 at 11:59 pm

Someones got a BoS power suit in the closet πŸ™‚ nice vid

10. freakygeaktwo on April 10, 2021 at 12:02 am

either that song is really long or you drives real fast πŸ˜‰ will there be a video showing how you place a bed for a garden in the hill side ? I’ve never seen that done before. thanks for sharing

11. Cbw Mama on April 10, 2021 at 12:02 am

Building a raised bed/terrace on a hill is not as difficult as it might seem once you decide on your design. You have the woodworking skills so you have a leg up on many who have attempted it. Tons of videos on You Tube plus designs on the Internet. Do realize you will need more wood than you think — and that depends on your slope. With mine — on a minor slope — what was 1- 4 ft length of 2×10 board at the top ended up being 3- 4 ft length 2×10 boards at the bottom to keep the dirt level over its 18 ft length. I decided not to step it because I didn’t think my slope was that steep — but in thinking back — stepping it would have been easier. Just remember — you will need bracing. I used wood and wish now that I had used rebar. My wood braces (pine) have now decayed (over 20 yrs) and need to be replaced while my walls (reclaimed redwood) are still intact but starting to move slightly.

12. Riddlemewalker on April 10, 2021 at 12:02 am

The Ink Spots! I like this guy!

13. Laura O on April 10, 2021 at 12:05 am

exited to see the progress on the hill beds. I have that on my list of things to do this summer and I’m not sure quite how I’m going to do it yet. We have a hill in from of our house that I hate to mow that the grass just dries up in the summer, so I’m going to put it to good use I hope.

14. Anita Logan on April 10, 2021 at 12:06 am

This "old" gal loves, loves loves your music choices!

15. Pete Anderson on April 10, 2021 at 12:07 am

In the south they have Cyprus so check with some local friends for a local lumber yard and that’s where you it. Cypruss likes swampy places to grow. It’s rot free and bug free.

16. M H on April 10, 2021 at 12:11 am

We live in WNC and when we couldn’t find cedar for our raised beds, we bought untreated pine and I painted it with a low VOC paint. They’re holding up pretty well.

17. Panda Sunflowers on April 10, 2021 at 12:23 am

is untreated wood better? if so, why?

18. Kid T on April 10, 2021 at 12:25 am

What part of North Carolina?

19. Sandra Michaels on April 10, 2021 at 12:28 am

I have to tell you my husband and I had no idea what we were doing building boxes. 500 to $600 and 4 years later all of our cedar boxes are demolished. What you bought is exactly what we’re switching over to.

20. Brenda Smiley on April 10, 2021 at 12:30 am

Here in NKY we have the same problem at home depot. My husband and I have built 2 raised beds at 120sq ft and a third will be done this weekend. Finding untreated wood is possible but usually it’s poor quality. Mr. likes 4 by 4 for the posts but they are all treated😬. We are using landscape timbers. The struggle is real. Good luck to you on the bed , I’m sure it will be awesomeπŸ‘

21. Our Pastured Farm on April 10, 2021 at 12:32 am

Love it

22. Ann Poucher on April 10, 2021 at 12:33 am

I did not know about lumber being different in different places. The South has termites…that is why so much treated lumber. But I would not use it for my food either. Good luck with the garden. God bless.