The COOLEST Water Feature to DIY

FAQ:
– The wood Rot?
Per the University of Massachusetts Amherst:
“Wood can be too wet to decay. Waterlogged wood will not allow oxygen in to support the growth of fungi. Marine pilings kept fully submerged may never rot.”‘
So long as the board is fully submerged constantly, rot will not happen. I know it is likely to decay over time, but not nearly as fast as everyone in my comments seems to think. I may be wrong! But building these features is what I enjoy, so if it falls apart I’ll build a new one. So far its been a Year with no sign of decay.

– Rock dampening noise instead of the board?
Yes! I did that, it dampened the noise and looked kinda cool, but it was still splashing out quite a bit. I left the wood strip instead.

– How do you clean it?
I made a video about that! Its pretty easy. Maintenance guide here: https://youtu.be/FhjnN7zTedw

Also, I’ve put a 400 GPH pump on the water feature and it runs pretty nice, a little quieter with the less water. When you’re picking a pump size anything between 400 and 800 gallons per hour should work!

I made a followup Q&A Video here: https://youtu.be/ifVnUNPQeV8
Another cool Water Fall idea here: https://youtu.be/BB3ccNDsna8

Produce Links:

Liner – https://amzn.to/2QnmlrN
Pump – https://amzn.to/3htpxyh
Light – https://amzn.to/2YyZY7u
Timer – https://amzn.to/32FckMH

(As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.)

[ below is the self-introduction I wrote when I published this video and I’m leaving it for later reference. ]

Hello my name is Travis Jantzer! I’m a vlogger from Oregon in the PNW. Online I go by TJantzer. My wife’s name is Cassie and our daughter born in spring of 2019 is named Hazel. If you watch our videos you’ll learn we love rock climbing (particularly bouldering), ultimate frisbee, road trips, diy projects, and drones. We converted a van to a camper for vanlife and take road trips when we have time. We play ultimate in the fall. Climb in the gym from fall to spring. Play Frisbee again in the spring. And play sand volleyball with our friends through the summer. I wrote a book and love writing poetry. Cassie loves watercolor painting and pencil sketching. We both enjoy cooking though she is way better at it. I started on Youtube in 2011 but did not take it seriously until 2018 and even then I was inconsistent. In 2020 my resolution is to make one video every weekend and post it by Tuesday of that week. My passion is video editing. I started doing wedding videos last year and this year got a job shooting real estate photos and video. I still consider myself an amateur, but I’m learning something new with every video.
My goals for 2020:
1 video every week
500 subscribers on Youtube
$10,000 earned from local video and photo gigs ($1000 earned but, Covid..)

Subscribe to my channel to follow along. Comment below if you relate to anything you see, or have any questions.
I’ll respond to as many comments as I see!

You can find me on Instagram and Twitter with “TJantzer” and visit my website to see my writing and blog posts at TJantzer.com

Thanks for stopping by!
I’ll see you next Tuesday.

-Travis Jantzer

Music:

Song: Till – Lucid Dreaming

Title Sequence:
Track: Tritan – Hollow Life (feat. Ratfoot) [NCS Release]
Music provided by NoCopyrightSounds.
Watch: https://youtu.be/WsMqp85TtaM
Free Download / Stream: http://ncs.io/HollowLife

1. Breaking bad Heisenberg on April 12, 2021 at 11:59 pm

Wow you duped simsfreeplay

2. Cat Cove on April 12, 2021 at 11:59 pm

If you wrap the board in copper sheeting that would look amazing

3. Kruell Nation Gaming on April 13, 2021 at 12:00 am

This a great idea. I like the project, I like the video. Can I make an observation, it looks like your always looking not at the camera lens but above it, maybe at a flip up screen?

It was really noticably.

4. Ministerio PorelamoraDios on April 13, 2021 at 12:00 am

it looks really good I have a question, it sits on wood won’t the wood rot out in time, should we used other materials that
    won’t get rotten?

5. Randy Geene on April 13, 2021 at 12:01 am

If you sunk the bottom of the square below the rocks, you would eliminate the splashing as the rocks lessen the splashing sound.

6. ED Seventyeight on April 13, 2021 at 12:01 am

You’re brilliant! Thank you for making it seem possible for me to make.

7. Ozzie Warrens on April 13, 2021 at 12:03 am

How is the water recycled?

8. Linda Fulcher on April 13, 2021 at 12:04 am

Love it -great job! Would rocks along the bottom work to soften the sound?

9. SS on April 13, 2021 at 12:07 am

This is genius! Hubby asked me today what I wanted for my birthday—-a water fountain 🙂

10. Heather Schulz on April 13, 2021 at 12:09 am

Does anyone or can I find plans anywhere for the 3 x 3 fountain? I want to make this but I need directions

11. Onetruesoldier KillerV on April 13, 2021 at 12:10 am

Where does the water go that the pump uses ?

12. Clark Hardesty on April 13, 2021 at 12:10 am

Any details on the power to the pump…?

13. Queen of Wealth on April 13, 2021 at 12:10 am

amazing

14. John K on April 13, 2021 at 12:12 am

Great job. You have a great demeanor on video.
    Keep up the good work.

15. Dennis Mathias on April 13, 2021 at 12:13 am

How about maintenance? Will the intake to the pump be easy to clean? Also, what about dirt and debris getting between the rocks? Hate to take it apart every year..

16. Liberal Hater on April 13, 2021 at 12:15 am

Awsome video👍

17. Christine Carson on April 13, 2021 at 12:16 am

OMG!! This guy reminds me so much of Anton Yelchin who played Scotty in the new Star Trek movies.

18. 13thgenerationAmerican on April 13, 2021 at 12:18 am

Sensational! Wow. Wanna build. Wonder if he used Quikcrete?

19. Robert Worthington on April 13, 2021 at 12:19 am

I adapted this ideal and onstead of nothing in the middle, placed a pentagon with a crest of each branch at the corners. off set the water fall to the sides of the upper squar and one down in the middle of the pentagon with a valve to control flow.

20. Terry Graham on April 13, 2021 at 12:19 am

Awesome presentation in all respects! Recommend imbeding colorful stones so they’re exposed and perhaps using cement dye. As I have obsidion for my flintknaping hobby will use that. A plus is its glass like sheen. Thanks for the great idea!

21. ROB-IN-PHILLY on April 13, 2021 at 12:27 am

Don’t forget the birdies…A nice little bowl shaped protrusion that takes some of that run off…it would be self cleaning (mostly)…Also Bird friendly water features are big sellers…Just sayin…:)…Nice job on the square…:)

22. jackelectricman on April 13, 2021 at 12:29 am

Nice!
    I think some rebar in the form would give the concrete more strength for surviving the installation process .
    Just a suggestion.

23. MSandy 1 on April 13, 2021 at 12:29 am

I feel like if we were your neighbors, we would NOT mind the relaxing water sound. 😎

24. Mungu Warena on April 13, 2021 at 12:30 am

Use trickle dampners at the top and below to reduce sound, 5-10mm dia should suffice.

25. Ted Shaw on April 13, 2021 at 12:30 am

Does it automatically add water to your reservoir take you in the account wind sun evaporation

26. Calvin Taylor on April 13, 2021 at 12:30 am

Would a kiddie pool work in place of a pond liner?

27. K Crib in on April 13, 2021 at 12:32 am

Nice work dude.

28. Mason Walker on April 13, 2021 at 12:32 am

Really like your video! Might have to try this build this summer

29. christina Eh! on April 13, 2021 at 12:35 am

I love it. I would put it on cinder blocks or cover the wood with liner so it doesn’t rot. Did you try some beach Rocks to make it a little more quiet? I’m going to make one next month. Can’t wait 😁

30. Victor Kroud on April 13, 2021 at 12:40 am

Funny you comment on the noise. We usually don’t think of water features being noisy. I purchased a fountain for my pond and the guy installed it near my deck. It was so noisy that I have to move it further away. Didn’t expect that. I love your angle board solution. You’ve certainly given me enough information to get started on a water feature . Thanks.

31. tigerbalm on April 13, 2021 at 12:41 am

thE SPLASH IS WUT IS COOL ABOUT WATERFALLS! The wood looks so dumb!

32. D Poole on April 13, 2021 at 12:42 am

What holds it up when the plywood base rots??

33. Travis Jantzer on April 13, 2021 at 12:42 am

If you think this water feature is cool, check out this waterfall I made in a Hollow Tree!

34. Mike Phillips on April 13, 2021 at 12:43 am

Great project!

35. ssg_v_eight on April 13, 2021 at 12:46 am

This is an awesome project. I love the design. My question is do you buy a pump with adjustable flow settings so as to avoid the water shooting out of the top like a geyser or is the pump specific to the height of the build thereby creating the bubbling effect? With respect to the base of the feature, I would maybe avoid using wood boards that will deteriorate over time and possibly cause the water feature to shift and fall. Beautiful work though. Just bought a new house and I’m going to build something like this to add to back yard.

36. Gale Jenness on April 13, 2021 at 12:47 am

I’ve been wanting to make one (or more!) of these myself, the water feature square made of cement not hard really, but for me the hard part is doing the rest of the water feature with the rocks and plants where it looks nice. That takes a certain talent I don’t think I have acquired yet? Your looked very nice though! I’m a bit of a perfectionist and I think that’s a big part of my problem? Things in nature aren’t perfect and more random than I am! LOL

37. Lisas Rexstar on April 13, 2021 at 12:49 am

I was wondering about the recirculation of the water. You didn’t mention what sort of reservoir you put under the square. The pump has to pump water from somewhere, right?

38. 760bjc on April 13, 2021 at 12:49 am

Wonder what it would sound like if you put rocks along the bottom?

39. Ms Sunshine on April 13, 2021 at 12:50 am

The fountain is beautiful in its simplicity.

40. rosebudforglory on April 13, 2021 at 12:52 am

Cool but wood rots, concrete blocks are better. There is actual mold release spray for concrete. But you can use any oil or coconut oil which is solid, mineral oil. You can also make a concrete slab to sit it on, marble, granite, etc. I might suggest for the ramp in the center for the water to hit, is to switch to a piece of marble, tiles etc (and use the appropriate glue/adhesive) to put it together like you want to sit in there. Porcelain tiles hold up to weather well and are often installed around pools, etc. But you could play with gluing rocks to the board…seal the board with waterproof sealant that won’t make the water toxic (think pond products) (on the top and bottom) and glue rocks to it, then grout (like aggregate concrete walks). This will give a different look, work with the concrete, slow the water up, etc. They have one at my doctors or did.. but it was a piece on copper that ran across the inside of the concrete and it had tiny holes drilled that the water come out of. You can see the copper pipe…not as much volume of water as you have. That’s a very large pump for 2’ up and that small an amount of water. So it’s making more splashing than you need. I think I have 75 gph pump on my fountain (she’s a little girl holding a basin for the birdbath part and is about 3-3.5 foot tall. She sits on a granite slab across a preformed pool. The pump sits under the slab which sits at the back of the pool. The little girl is wired to a SS pipe driven in the ground right behind her. That’s so if anything gets behind her (dog), or hurricane etc , earthquake, etc — she won’t tumble forward and possibly get broken. Or if kids were to be messing around, wouldn’t want her to fall on someone and break a foot, leg, etc. she weighs about 75-85+ lbs I estimate… so could do some serious damage to small child or your pet.

Thanks for sharing with us. I have been wanting to do something like this since I saw the one at the docs office.

41. Caroline Besinger on April 13, 2021 at 12:52 am

Love this. Its beautiful!..🥰

42. BeausMama on April 13, 2021 at 12:52 am

How about using a pool noodle sprayed to match concrete?

43. Rajshri Joshi on April 13, 2021 at 12:53 am

can we use styrofoam instead of wood as mold?

44. Kathleen LoVerso on April 13, 2021 at 12:53 am

Very cool ! ✌🏼😎

45. Mike Phillips on April 13, 2021 at 12:54 am

Have you considered using rocks in place of the boards?

46. Murphis55 on April 13, 2021 at 12:54 am

Great idea think I’ll try this doesn’t seem to hard and rather inexpensive. I found a solar pump on the big A for around 125 that runs up three feet and works for my old falling apart fountain. The pump has a cord about twelve feet long that will get placed in a tree to be away from ground. That way no need for electric, only problem the pump must be removed do to very cold winters here in jersey. The solar panel is nicely framed glass type not cheap plastic. Good job. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

47. VTPSTTU on April 13, 2021 at 12:56 am

My guess is that one neighbor would find the sound relaxing and would be better able to sleep at night and another neighbor would find the sound irritating. That’s just how people are. I appreciate that you considered the neighbors.

How do the birds like it? I would imagine something like this would draw a bunch of birds.

How often do you need to add water? In summertime heat, I’d expect a great deal of evaporation. That would keep the area cool, but you’d need to refill the water often. Do you ever take out all the old water and replace it with fresh water?

If I weren’t too disabled for this much effort and too poor to spend that much on running a pump, I’d love to put one of these at my place. I’m in Wyoming, and with our low humidity, I’m guessing that I’d have to refill the water very often.

48. DJ Deckard Cain on April 13, 2021 at 12:57 am

Probably here late…. plexiglass instead of wood?

49. BF Reason on April 13, 2021 at 12:58 am

Nicely done!
    Water +kids = fun
    Caution food tor thought…if child is unattended and
    Goes to play with it …is it stable enough not to topple onto the child?

50. kim scott on April 13, 2021 at 12:58 am

We loved this video and the Q&A one you did in addition… we are 1/3 of the way through the process now of making our own. I used concrete die to make mine brown… wanted it to blend with the stonework I have on my house… we will see how that goes… Super excited to finish…. Thanks again! Oh and love the PNW, lived there all my life until the last 3 years, so this is getting the South Carolina Install…lol