What seedlings and seeds to plant in January – January Planting Guide for Zones 7 and 8

What seedlings and seeds to plant in January in Zones 7 and 8

This is the second video in a series of videos I’m filming about what to plant in January for your backyard garden. This video focuses on those of you that live in Zones 7 and 8. Learn what seeds and seedlings you can plant during the month of January if you live in Zones 7 or 8.

Don’t know what garden Zone you live in? Check out this article on our website to find out:

What is my Garden Zone? Using the USDA Hardiness Map

Do you live in Zone 5 or 6? Watch your video here:

Do you live in Zone 9 or 10? Watch your video here:

Learn more about what to plant in Zones 7 & 8 in January by reading this article:

What to Plant in January – Zones 7 and 8

Join our Seed Starting Course here:

Or Join our Free Seed Starting Mini-course here:

Would you like more of Our Stoney Acres?
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ourstoneyacres/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/OurStoneyAcres/

Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/stoneyacres/

More Great Gardening Tips on our website:

1. Nature Kuwait gardening on April 12, 2021 at 11:26 pm

Lovely tips .. Happy gardening 🌸🌷🌺

2. Frank Jones on April 12, 2021 at 11:26 pm

Be nice for a map at beginning of each video showing the Zone areas covered in the video.

3. Lorraine MosbyLo on April 12, 2021 at 11:29 pm

HOW NEAT AND CLEAN YOUR GARAGE LOOKS….SIGH.

4. Jeannie Scarber on April 12, 2021 at 11:31 pm

And baby Kale tastes better than giant Kale, too!

5. lrigdren lrigdren on April 12, 2021 at 11:32 pm

Exactly what I was looking for! Absolutely subscribing! Zone 8b, so may also check your Zone 9 advice. Wish more seed packets expressed this information directly and clearly.

6. Carla Daniel on April 12, 2021 at 11:32 pm

Thank you.

7. Drew Fridley on April 12, 2021 at 11:33 pm

Thanks! Why is it bad to plant into wet soil?

8. Carol Townsend on April 12, 2021 at 11:36 pm

I planted potatoes , onions and strawberries in late january, but in october I planted turnips, spenich, garlic, beets, kale, brokley, onions all up and doing well.

9. J Bennett on April 12, 2021 at 11:37 pm

It says I’m in 7B but you describe 7 like its a colder area but I live in a desert in Oklahoma zip code 73507

10. Anna Davis on April 12, 2021 at 11:39 pm

7b here, so excited for 2021 gardening.

11. Dale Mills on April 12, 2021 at 11:43 pm

What about parsnips and rutabagas in zone 7b?

12. Pauline Stewart on April 12, 2021 at 11:45 pm

This series is the best one on YouTube for zone planting. Thank you very much. Your time and information is greatly appreciated 😊

13. Kristeena Leins on April 12, 2021 at 11:52 pm

I am a container gardener, I live in an appointment. I live in zone 8a, any recommendations on what to plant?
    My patio is pretty shady most of the day and gets a lot of sun in the evening hours.

14. MzCAGOMEA on April 12, 2021 at 11:53 pm

Can I start these things on a balcony in one of those plastic covered frame stands? They are labeled greenhouses but I don’t know if they really are.

15. Joe N Crypto on April 12, 2021 at 11:53 pm

Im in zone 7. Because of warm winter my brocolli and kale from fall are still alive outside. Should I keep them alive and expect growth in Spring?

16. Cherokee Rose on April 12, 2021 at 11:56 pm

I have been growing lots of greens indoor either in a sunny window or under lights, things like Tatsoi (grows crazy indoors) kale, Asian cabbage swiss chard perpetual spinach etc. Outside besides hardy greens I have lots of white turnips, I caught my dog digging up and eating radishes Yikes… I am in south Tenn.. I have Jerusalem artichokes I keep under ground and eat as I go. Love your videos, lost several plants bcus of all the rain and want to get back in now. Thanks so much. Liked and subbed…

17. Gina B. on April 12, 2021 at 11:59 pm

Thank you for calming my newbie planting anxiety.

18. Firelord Kushroll on April 13, 2021 at 12:00 am

edit: the links inside of the blog post leading to the zone maps are no longer secure. it lost it’s security certificate two months ago. sure it is a federal government owned website, trust that if you wish.

19. Mark Foster on April 13, 2021 at 12:06 am

Reeeeeally appreciate you taking the time to upload these for a range of growing zones! Wishing you a successful growing year of 2020 πŸ‘

20. Lori Volkman on April 13, 2021 at 12:07 am

Great video! I’m always wishing my seedlings were as big as my neighbor’s and now I know why! Question on your comments about wet soil. I live in the Pacific NW. It’s really wet here, pretty much until June. How can I use this January strategy with wet soils? I have both raised beds and ground plots.

21. Danielle Gardens on April 13, 2021 at 12:12 am

Great information! Thank you for sharing this!

22. Alyssa Lindsey on April 13, 2021 at 12:12 am

Thank you for this video! I almost ALWAYS get the gardening itch in January (so weird!!) so I am really glad that I will be able to do something to get in the groove now so I am still motivated when spring comes! Thanks so much! πŸ‘©πŸΌβ€πŸŒΎβ™₯️

23. Oink Radio on April 13, 2021 at 12:14 am

excellent, this made my day

24. MsClark2009 on April 13, 2021 at 12:17 am

Just found your video. What can I start for a container garden in zone 7a now, 2/29/20? Or, should I not start from seeds?

25. Brendan Hall on April 13, 2021 at 12:18 am

Sounds good but it is kind of a pain growing things in the house. I have lettuce growing on my windows right now. Most other stuff is going to have to take it’s chances in the yard. I’ve got onions, kale, parsley, and some herbs outside in various stages. Some left from last summer. Some planted late. Never used a row cover but I guess it is the only sensible way.

26. Debbie Greer on April 13, 2021 at 12:19 am

I’m in Sacramento. I tried to plant cauliflower in September and the aphids got themπŸ₯΄ Would they still come during the winter?

27. Jolanda Pazanin on April 13, 2021 at 12:22 am

I live in Europe in Mediterranean area, about 400 km far from Adriatic coast to north. Could you suggest me which zone is similar to our to be able to follow the right instruction in your videos. Thanks a lot.

28. Elizabeth Medina on April 13, 2021 at 12:24 am

Do we do this even if the last frost has not happened? πŸ€”

29. LaRain Carder on April 13, 2021 at 12:24 am

Our seasons have been changing for the last several years. We sometimes have our worst weather in January and February.