How to Install a Window in a Workshop / Shed

SuperShed (my workshop) was built a few years ago, but I am just getting around to installing windows in it! Watch our Latest Video: https://goo.gl/SvhGVR Subscribe to Our Channel: https://goo.gl/Qfj5DM Amazon Support Link: https://amzn.to/2VA4tvs

This video will walk you through how to re-frame a wall and install a new window into the building. Hope you enjoy!

Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/greenacrehomestead

#howto #diy #windowinstall

Cold Funk – Funkorama by Kevin MacLeod is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
Source: http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/index.html?isrc=USUAN1100499
Artist: http://incompetech.com/

1. Living the Ruff Life on April 14, 2021 at 12:06 am

That’s great, how do you trim it? I’d like to do this for our shed!

2. Jeffrey Ortiz on April 14, 2021 at 12:08 am

Why didn’t you use a triple board below the sill and there was no header board.

3. Armchair Expert on April 14, 2021 at 12:08 am

Great video! I need to install a few windows into my shed. Question though….
    What is keeping the water from sealing down the front? I know you uses sealant but isn’t there supposed to be some flashing or something around it?

4. ZB87 Honda&Tacos4Life on April 14, 2021 at 12:09 am

Could I use the sawzall to cut existing studs to make a window?

5. Crystal Goss on April 14, 2021 at 12:10 am

Hello thank you so much for your video! My question is, how do I pre drill the holes in the window? My windows are not predrilled.

6. Jim Massnick on April 14, 2021 at 12:12 am

How did you finish the outside? Good video

7. Monitopaul Monitopaul on April 14, 2021 at 12:12 am

Todo esta bien pero te olvidaste de alsar una 1/4 la ventana para que le pongas insulation alrededor de la ventana, pero muy buen trabajo

8. Melissa Milan on April 14, 2021 at 12:13 am

You didn’t use any metal flashing to help with waterproofing! Why not?!

9. Ae Johnson on April 14, 2021 at 12:13 am

Great logical step by step video. Appreciate you sharing.

10. Kathy Ramirez on April 14, 2021 at 12:15 am

Thankyou so much for this…been wanting to install a window into my shed for a while because I want to add a window A.C so I can keep cool while working in there during the summer…literally have watched so many 30 minute long videos on here only to be like 0.0 through them all but here you are easily explaining everything in less than 6 minutes, amazing.

11. Niko Sotolongo on April 14, 2021 at 12:15 am

Thanks for the helpful video!

12. Michael Otahal on April 14, 2021 at 12:16 am

How do you finish the inside perimeters of the window to make it look nicer and more finished?

13. Nicholas Torres on April 14, 2021 at 12:20 am

This is the 3rd or 4th video I’ve seen and it’ll be the last. You answered all my questions. Thanks dude!

14. Donald Donaldson on April 14, 2021 at 12:22 am

Sweet, now I just need a window 🪟

I’m cleaning out one of my shops I have motorcycles in and I need to install a window because it’s stuffy in that shop. Then I’ll be able to work in it and rebuild my yz125! Thanks

15. No Comment on April 14, 2021 at 12:24 am

Excellent

16. Art of Manneherrin on April 14, 2021 at 12:24 am

your just gonna leave the outside without sealing it?

17. Todd Corwin on April 14, 2021 at 12:24 am

Fast and efficient!! Very helpful!

18. The Promise Of Silence Marshall on April 14, 2021 at 12:25 am

Clear step by step information. Very helpful THANKS.

19. Richard Young on April 14, 2021 at 12:26 am

What size screws did you use to hold window

20. Raymond Torres-Jeffery on April 14, 2021 at 12:26 am

Thank you your videos on this shed has literally helped me with insulation as well as installing the window. you are more efficient than Home Depot

21. BRYAN HOUSE on April 14, 2021 at 12:29 am

Best easy to understand video ever! good job.

22. Gary Bowen on April 14, 2021 at 12:30 am

a little tip for you…..another east way to cut it out is instead of a sawzall, after you frame out the window completely you can drill starter holes in the corners and just use a router with a flush trim bit to cut out the window hole! just run the bit around the frame (side, bottom, side then top last to support the cut-out until the last cut) and you will have perfect straight lines every time!

23. Eugene Caine on April 14, 2021 at 12:31 am

Great video! I have no doubt I can do this at my sons garage.

24. Kat Astrophe on April 14, 2021 at 12:34 am

Thank You, I almost feel I can do this!!

25. EVENMETAL on April 14, 2021 at 12:34 am

So the siding should be installed first and then the windows?

26. Jung Bechtold on April 14, 2021 at 12:34 am

Nice video. However you should take instructions from Wood Prix’s plans if you want to learn how to make it easily.

27. Wayne Jacobs on April 14, 2021 at 12:34 am

excellent job on explaining. I am getting a shed without windows so I can put some reclaimed windows in it. thank you and keep up the good work

28. John Lowery on April 14, 2021 at 12:36 am

Ty so good

29. Angelortega on April 14, 2021 at 12:39 am

Great video! Do you measure the hole based on the overall window dimension including the flange or the inside portion not including the flange? Thanks

30. Maria on April 14, 2021 at 12:40 am

I did this!! Went perfectly. Thank you for a great video!

31. Stephen Mehallo on April 14, 2021 at 12:40 am

I enjoyed your step x step guidance on how to install a window…thank you! Can you tell me when a J channel window frame would be used vs. a Flush Mount window frame?

32. Jim Laubler on April 14, 2021 at 12:42 am

I know it is a little nit-picky, but shouldn’t you reinforce the bottom two corners AND maybe the right side to create another load baring stud? Still, you gave this DYI novice some better ideas.

33. Get Your Feel Good Back! B Jones on April 14, 2021 at 12:44 am

Green Video

34. Goorney on April 14, 2021 at 12:45 am

Very informative easy to understand video. Just been given a sky high quote from a construction company to install 2 windows. After watching videos like yours I will instead install the windows myself, cheers.

35. Tristan Dash on April 14, 2021 at 12:46 am

Made that look simple! Next weekend I’m giving it a go although my window is about three times larger!

36. RedEye Inc. on April 14, 2021 at 12:46 am

Great video! Gonna add a window or two to my outside bathroom.

37. T DUBZ on April 14, 2021 at 12:46 am

I just built my shed a few weeks ago. I’m definitely doing this! Gotta wear safety glasses my guy!!

38. tyler wright on April 14, 2021 at 12:47 am

How did you trim the exterior side of the window sir

39. sheba6779 on April 14, 2021 at 12:48 am

Great video 👍🏼 thanks.

40. Mike T. Chan on April 14, 2021 at 12:52 am

So wonderful. I appreciated

41. Ben Marx on April 14, 2021 at 12:53 am

thank you. building a chicken coop and looking to add a window

42. tjoslin53 on April 14, 2021 at 12:54 am

Great looking window! Next time just add some flashing tape around the edge of the opening prior to installation of the window. The video was explained well and I give it a thumbs up!

43. Rock NRoll Superhero on April 14, 2021 at 12:55 am

This video was great! Simple, to the point, and crystal clear. Thank you!

44. Brian C Dexter on April 14, 2021 at 12:55 am

Simple, clear instructions. Thank you!

45. MediaMatters IsMyCockHolster on April 14, 2021 at 12:55 am

"building seal tape".. It may not matter for sheds I guess, but for those looking at this as part of a cabin build or conversion, don’t forget to seal the bottom of the frame to the outside, each piece bottom first and working up, and if you’re really slick, put a slight incline towards the inside on the bottom frame and then tape it, and if you leave a couple of gaps in your bottom silicone, that’ll allow any moisture on the frame to work it’s way out, over the top of the seal tape, without rotting out your wood frame. Once again, probably more of a concern for small live in cabins than sheds. Good video!

46. Brian Bacich on April 14, 2021 at 12:57 am

Awesome video. Question: do I need any exterior flashing around the window?

47. Giovanni Vergara on April 14, 2021 at 12:58 am

Love the video !!!!

48. David on April 14, 2021 at 1:00 am

I have two 12x12inch windows that I’m putting into a shed that I’m building. They don’t open. If they will fit between two existing studs, is it necessary to frame around them? Or can I just cut an opening in the siding?

49. Dianna A on April 14, 2021 at 1:01 am

Good job. I would include a couple things. Silicone/exterior caulk the exterior window side and frame out with either 1 x 4’s or some type of trim out. Weather tight! Keeps out rain and creepy crawlers

50. Isai Jimenez on April 14, 2021 at 1:03 am

what size blade of reciprocating zaw did you use?