The 6 Ultimate Vegetables to Grow for Self-Sufficiency

Self-sufficiency is a journey and one huge part of the journey is knowing how and where to start. In this video, a collaboration with Liz Zorab, we outline the 6 ultimate vegetables to grow for self-sufficiency as well as 3 great alternatives. Check out Liz’s inspirational channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe0Ha5QljsCV5UqIkobBrcQ

Instagram: @huws_nursery
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuwsGardenNursery

Seed sponsor: https://www.organiccatalogue.com
Tool sponsor: https://www.bulldogtools.co.uk

Main Camera: https://amzn.to/2KCbn0k
Second Camera: https://amzn.to/2KkRoUA
Laptop: https://amzn.to/2KjT4hj
Drone: https://amzn.to/2tUYZy6
Microphone: https://amzn.to/2KvTikz
Second Microphone: https://amzn.to/2yXuRYJ
Tripod: https://amzn.to/2lQ77g1

HuwsNursery is a channel which dedicates itself to teaching you how to grow an abundance of food at your home. Videos are uploaded every week and cover a vast range of subjects including; soil health, sowing, transplanting, weeding, organic tips, permaculture, pest control, harvesting and low maintenance growing to name a few.

Subscribe here: https://www.youtube.com/user/HuwsNursery?sub_confirmation=1

Become a Patreon and help HuwsNursery GROW! https://www.patreon.com/huwsnursery
With thanks to the support of my top tier patreons; William Shidal, Ben Porcher, Namaste Foundation, Valeria Letelier and Mike Moore

#selfsufficiency #permaculture #organicgardening

1. CatFish107 on April 15, 2021 at 11:32 pm

The British style of only focusing on the root of the beet plant gets under my fingernails something fierce. Start using the entire plant, not just the roots. Beet greens are delicious when sautéed with butter, garlic, and onion. I’ve had great success growing "beet root" with my "carrot root" side by side. (edit to clarify, I’m only trying to make fun of our various uses of the English language, and how ridiculously inconsistent it can be. Not trying to be all seriously negative. I realized after posting that the tone in my head doesn’t translate well to text.) Thanks for the great gardening vids.

2. WHOLENESS on April 15, 2021 at 11:32 pm

I am new in growing.well, anything. An urban woman moved to a very rural foresty area. Love watching your videos. Thank you, ver helpful and motivational

3. VeganChiefWarrior on April 15, 2021 at 11:32 pm

are there any parts of any vegetables that we cant eat or am i right? lol

4. kaoscowboy on April 15, 2021 at 11:34 pm

Hi Huw, im looking for the punnets your using in this video, that split in half for easy removal?

5. Ed19601 on April 15, 2021 at 11:35 pm

I grow parsnip, no swedes. Parsnip just a lot tastier

6. Owen Whitman on April 15, 2021 at 11:36 pm

My family uses a lot of carrots during winter and spring here in zone 5. Use a tall marker (to find them in deep snow) and leave a long, narrow shovel in the garden and you’ll be harvesting all winter long. Mix it up a bit with a few different colors and your dark winter soups will be full of the colors and flavors of summer.

7. EJLP on April 15, 2021 at 11:38 pm

Is beet root the same as beets. In the US we just say beets so I was a bit confused hahahahaha

8. Maryanne Kruse on April 15, 2021 at 11:38 pm

Hi. I’m very intrigued by the seedling pots you have that open into halves. Can you tell me what they are called and where one can get them from?

9. Buckaroo Bonzai on April 15, 2021 at 11:38 pm

I’m always amazed at the differences in culture and how it differs from region to region. I’m in PA here and American gardens are so different.

This guy probably knows at least 12 wizards… just like as friends.
    I learned in American public schools that England, Wales, Ireland, Scotland and those other places over in NotAmerica can do things like growing magic beans, enchanted potatoes, and mystical turnips, or summoning dragons and pursuing agriculturally relevant quests that would take an American 8 years of college education to understand and achieve.

10. Renate Haeckler on April 15, 2021 at 11:38 pm

Great video! It’s so interesting seeing how different gardening is in your country. In the US I don’t know anyone who grows leeks but they all say onions and garlic are super easy. But then again there’s a supplier in Texas that starts onions from seeds and sells the young plants in bundles of 50-100 for pretty cheap across the country, so they’re pretty easy to grow that way, you just plunk them in the ground. I’d add spinach. The variety ‘Bloomsdale Longstanding’ will last through the winter and then when the weather warms up in February-March they grow like crazy making leaves 13 inches across that are mild and tender.

11. BitcoinistLife on April 15, 2021 at 11:41 pm

Good vid as always guys 👍🏼

12. MrNord on April 15, 2021 at 11:41 pm

My list

1. Tomatoes
    2. Gherkins
    3. Beets
    4. Carrots
    5. Beans all type
    6. Peas

13. Mint Tea on April 15, 2021 at 11:42 pm

I love your show!!

14. Swamper on April 15, 2021 at 11:42 pm

Is he saying "Broad Beans"

15. Loose Gear on April 15, 2021 at 11:42 pm

broad beans or runner beans, beets, swedes (rutabaga?) or parsnips, kale or red cabbage, leeks and onions, asparagus

16. Joanne Herkimer on April 15, 2021 at 11:43 pm

Great video. Thank you

17. Illusion on April 15, 2021 at 11:43 pm

👍👌😊💕

18. MissChievousRN on April 15, 2021 at 11:44 pm

What zone is south Wales??

19. Holdin Muhl on April 15, 2021 at 11:44 pm

Potatoes bring you over the winter. 2019 we had them in good quality until May 2020. Together with topinambur they are the bread. The other vegetables are the butter. Just imho.

20. Huw Richards on April 15, 2021 at 11:44 pm

A huge thank you to Liz for being involved in this video and if you haven’t already you should absolutely go take a look at what she’s up to: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe0Ha5QljsCV5UqIkobBrcQ 🌱

21. Schwentine biene on April 15, 2021 at 11:45 pm

Hi, where can I geht the beautiful big white beans in Germany? Is the name "White Lady"? Best regards👩🏻‍🌾Sabine

22. Mark Hoverd on April 15, 2021 at 11:46 pm

I started gardening about 3 years ago after moving in with my missus. The garden had a veg plot and greenhouse that hadn’t been used in years and its been great seeing it coming back to life. Broad beans was one of the first veggies I grew and usually one of the first things I start off in the greenhouse each year

23. Keke Slider on April 15, 2021 at 11:47 pm

Your link to liz’ channel is broken!

24. TC on April 15, 2021 at 11:47 pm

You guys are super chill. Nice 👌🏼

25. Tammy W on April 15, 2021 at 11:50 pm

How do you eat all the leaks?

26. mytruebliss on April 15, 2021 at 11:55 pm

We’re still picking Asparagus from my husbands grandma’s Asparagus Patch, which was planted in the 1930’s – yep it’s still growing 👍Great 👍 I throw used coffee grounds & crushed eggshells on it every season…..

27. Robert Doell on April 15, 2021 at 11:55 pm

I hate most of your suggestions. Peas and carrots and turnips and parsnips and potatoes and brussel sprouts and asparagus and beets Onions and fennel and leeks and Squash and cabbage and cauliflower all great for over winter. I hate KALE and like broad beans only occasionally. Swedes i do not know of.

28. kate whitehouse on April 15, 2021 at 11:55 pm

Spinach, ramps, rhubarb, butternut winter squash, garlic. Potatoes, winter cabbage, Brussels sprouts. Snow peas , mache, miners lettuce, fiddleheads, baby lettuce and other greens…

29. Elise Amiot on April 15, 2021 at 11:57 pm

My scarlet runner beans produce gorgeous purple and black delicious dried beans.

30. Sheelagh Cathasaigh on April 15, 2021 at 11:58 pm

If you have never eaten fava, do so before planting/investing large plot growing. For some people, these are very toxic (favism). Make sure beans are completely cooked to avoid digestive issues and to rule out favism. Children under a year shouldn’t be fed fava due to developing allergies/ problems with favism. Parents may not have this genetic disorder but the child may, so being aware and monitoring is best when introducing any new foods with small eaters.

31. Trey Mills on April 15, 2021 at 11:59 pm

What is your hardiness zone

32. EJLP on April 16, 2021 at 12:01 am

Swedes/Rutabagas? hahahahaha US person here

33. tim hawkins on April 16, 2021 at 12:08 am

Blackberries for April & may

34. Paul Valentine on April 16, 2021 at 12:08 am

Leave the stones.

35. Püppi Gep on April 16, 2021 at 12:10 am

There are actually summer varieties of leek, too.

36. EJLP on April 16, 2021 at 12:11 am

What is that plant at 9:45 next to her swedes? Looks like artichoke but could also be cardoon or desert thistle

37. Beril Sirmacek on April 16, 2021 at 12:11 am

If you make a strawberry jam, you can eat them in winter.

38. Lisa Martinez on April 16, 2021 at 12:13 am

Thank you for sharing, where did you get your starter plugs from? there long and I need some like that😊

39. Nikki.Nikx on April 16, 2021 at 12:15 am

Red cabbage is as well nutritionally more valuable than white, because of the antioxidant content 👍

40. Leonard Davis on April 16, 2021 at 12:16 am

My kids love grilled beats and onions

41. Phillip Collette on April 16, 2021 at 12:17 am

I agree about the beans. Also love carrots. They are so easy. And Swiss chard is so darn tasty. I greatly prefer it over kale.

42. June The Joonebug on April 16, 2021 at 12:20 am

Hi Huw! You and Charles are my most watched videos because you are both so helpful and thorough. I’m 78, have had cancer, and will be growing organically in containers. Your hacks are great and very helpful. I live on the Eastern Shore of Virginia ( mid Atlantic) and in zone 7, bordering on 8. Look forward to getting your book . Thanks!

43. Peggy Helbling's Garden What You've Got on April 16, 2021 at 12:26 am

Great collaboration 👌
    I’m in Windermere, Florida zone 9b.
    I’ve been Gardening for over 50 years and I am still learning. I started a YouTube channel 6 months ago to help all the new gardeners out there. But I am still learning and enjoy your no-nonsense channel. I also enjoy Liz’s channel. Well done to you both.
    👩‍🌾🌿👍

44. runeshark22 on April 16, 2021 at 12:27 am

i usually go potatoes, onions, peas, corn, and kidney beans. keeps a good balance, and easy to keep seed for the following year

45. Dennis Harger on April 16, 2021 at 12:27 am

is a swede a turnip? Never heard that one before

46. Mika Zal on April 16, 2021 at 12:28 am

Greetings from Poland 😁

47. Ragin 'õlelo on April 16, 2021 at 12:28 am

Beetroot: very delicious cooked in coconut milk, broth, ginger, lemongrass(oil), cardamom – can be eaten with basmati rice or by itself.
    Also the leaves are very tasty, prepared like spinach.

48. Sukerkin on April 16, 2021 at 12:28 am

So good to have the two of you together on this :). Two sensible and authoritative voices guiding us towards a better grasp on growing things <3

49. anneirenej on April 16, 2021 at 12:28 am

Oh so glad you put in beets. I find them to be a huge crop. i eat the greens and the roots. I put little plantings of them all over the garden. I wanted to also add… grow what you love… and with kale be sure to try all the different kinds because they are all a bit different but kale is sooo wonderful. There are more kinds than the dino kale.

50. Vivien Rhodes on April 16, 2021 at 12:31 am

Hi Thanks very much I am.lesrnknv more and more and soon hope to.put it into practice especially UK climate and frost seasons etc