Best Nursery in Houston for Perennial Vegetables that can Grow Year Round

John from http://www.growingyourgreens.com/ discovers a new nursery in Houston, Texas that is the best for Perennial edible vegetables that can grow in Houston year round. These vegetables have been show to have many health benefits.

In this episode, John will introduce you (and himself) to JRN Nursery that has been selling plants in Houston for 30 years. In this episode, John will share with you this special nursery that has a handful of his favorite tropical, perennial vegetables that can grow year round in Houston, TX and are no-brainers for people that live in Central/South Texas so they can have a year-round supply of food with minimal work.

You will discover John’s favorite leafy green vegetable and how you can purchase it in Houston, Texas… Its called Katuk aka Sweet Leaf Bush (Sauropus androgynus) and how John discovered this nursery might have more plants that what he seemed..

John will take you on a tour of how this 2 acre nursery works, how to get the best vegtable and herb plants that will grow easily in the hot summers of houston and surrounding areas. You will learn about Gynura Procumbens (Longevity Spinach), Gynura Crepioides (Okinawan Spinach), Moringa, Katuk (Sauropus Androgynus), and a few others SE Asian Vegetables that will thrive in the Hot, Humid Summer heat of Texas.

You will also discover some of the tropical fruit trees that are being grown in a greenhouse and available at the JRN nursery such as Star Fruit, Mango, Papaya, Guava, Sapodilla, jaboticaba, Miracle Fruit, Longan, and many, many more. You will learn which of these tropical fruit trees are the easiest to grow in Houston.

Next, John will share with you the fruit trees that are a “safe” bet that will grow year round in Houston without protection.

Finally, John will give his overall review and experience at this nursery.

Referenced Video:
How I Use my Malabar Spinach Berries

Subscribe to GrowingYourGreens for more videos like this:

Follow John on Instagram at:

Watch over 1100 other GrowingYourGreens videos at:

Learn more about JRN Nursery at:

Help John buy a Farm and Get a Tee Shirt

1. quest 77051 on April 18, 2021 at 12:16 am

Thanks so much for the info.

2. Sariah Piacentini on April 18, 2021 at 12:19 am

Us Houston people are so lucky that your girlfriend is from here and you come to visit us and give us all this advise. THANK YOU

3. keptyeti on April 18, 2021 at 12:21 am

Love your videos. I know you have concrete raised beds in Vegas. This season I have replaced one of my failing wood-framed beds with one constructed from concrete pavers. I didn’t bother googling about using this material until after the fact, and it turns out there are a few articles floating around the internet warning against toxic elements leaching from concrete. As you know, there is no shortage of conflicting gardening advice on the internet, and since you have concrete beds, can you talk about whether you believe concrete is a potential contaminant, and if so what you are doing to militate against this in your beds?

4. Adriana Bornacelli on April 18, 2021 at 12:21 am

I went today 11/10/2016 to the JRN Nursery and got some of the plants you mentioned. The lady was great! I showed her your video and ask for the same plant. She was very nice. I have a question how do I cut the plant to produce more plants. I am taking about the purple Okinawa Spinach. Next trip will be to get the good soil in Houston. Thank you so much for your advice and awesome videos.

5. Honeykai on April 18, 2021 at 12:23 am

You are so adorable! I am so glad you went to houston! I’m about tot stop by the JRN nursery right to pick up some plants.

6. Adriana on April 18, 2021 at 12:23 am

My husband and me went there 2 weeks ago and told the owner that we had heard about the nursery through a YouTube video. She replied "Oh John? Yea he’s a nice guy"

7. G on April 18, 2021 at 12:26 am

Super helpful video, thanks

8. David Dierlam on April 18, 2021 at 12:28 am

We have a nursery near here in S. Texas called River’s End that sells delicate tropicals from all over the world. Worth the visit, John.

9. msk on April 18, 2021 at 12:28 am

Doan Nursery in Irving, Texas has similar tropical plants and trees

10. Terica Cleveland on April 18, 2021 at 12:30 am

OMG I love this place. How honorable that you featured this nursery. This is the ONLY nursery I’ve gone to in over 6 years. I grow every season, and the owner always suggest new things to grow.

11. Shahfazliz Shahron on April 18, 2021 at 12:32 am

John, the betel leaves that you said is known as wild betel leaves (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piper_sarmentosum). I usually eat the shoots raw, using them as a small wrapper.

i could not find the english name for the last plant in your video. malaysians call it Bebuas (https://ms.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bebuas). we eat the shoots raw with rice with a dash of hot sambal. i love to grow them high and large into a small canopy bearing small fruits for birds. and gives lots of dead leaves for mulching.

12. edgar215 on April 18, 2021 at 12:33 am

SAY WHAT! This is like 10-15 mins away from me. Didn’t know you visit my neck of the woods, and I’ve been subscribed for quite some time. Gotta check it out sometime.

13. Carmelo Reyes on April 18, 2021 at 12:33 am

Too much talking. We want to see the plants.

14. Irving p. on April 18, 2021 at 12:33 am

If your ever in south Texas visit riversend nursery & farm, it’s a really cool place .

15. Paul McGhee on April 18, 2021 at 12:33 am

Enjoying the Houston videos as I’m in San Antonio.

16. Tc Anderson on April 18, 2021 at 12:33 am

Hey, John. I always love your programs, so I bought four shirts to support you and your girlfriend in finding a farm. I can hardly wait to see what you do with it once you get it! BTW, I particularly enjoy these nursery visits. Thanks for sharing your genius finds!

17. javier rodriguez on April 18, 2021 at 12:34 am

Hey John I live 5 minutes from that nursery I bought some plants for my sister about 2 years ago.  But now I’m looking for a house for me and I really want to start growing my own fruits and vegetables.  I will get lots of plants from this nursery. Thank you for sharing

18. turbodog3891 on April 18, 2021 at 12:37 am

Her name is "Fan"(like fawn). She’s pretty cool

19. MILEHIGHTREETOPZ on April 18, 2021 at 12:39 am

Really like this vid

20. steelace on April 18, 2021 at 12:39 am

Cripes sake your long winded. . .I could Google a top 10 list and get all the info before you even say the name of one plant.

katuk. . .katuk. . . and katuk.

21. alphasxsignal on April 18, 2021 at 12:39 am

m going with Perennial Vegetables in a big way here in Florida.

22. Harbans Cheema on April 18, 2021 at 12:41 am

Do you have kari patta plant in ur nursery

23. Junie kalu on April 18, 2021 at 12:44 am

ive been trying to find a nursery like this in houston! thank you, john for discovering this place for us.. yay!

24. ParadoxicallySweet on April 18, 2021 at 12:45 am

Need more houston vids!

25. Off Grid Homestead LWY on April 18, 2021 at 12:47 am

great info.

26. Runneth Over Garden&Life on April 18, 2021 at 12:47 am

Mr. John it would be fantastic when you are in Houston, Tx go to a different nursery. Thanks for the videos, learning so much. inspiring me to start to grow my own garden, in Houston soaking up all the info

27. Robert Hughes on April 18, 2021 at 12:48 am

Thank you John! Went there today with my wife and we bought Katuk, Shiso, Chaya, Okinawan Spinach and a couple of Orchids! We will go back and also get Strawberry Tree and an Anise tree!

28. Viet Nguyen on April 18, 2021 at 12:50 am

Hey just to let you know the plant you’re holding with your right hand (with some purplish) is called " la’ mo* (called by the northerner of Vietnam) and "la tho^i’ ddit." (by the southerner of Vietnam). This plant has absolute/proven/ and tested many times by Vietnamese people to cure diarrhea. I’m really familiar with this plant, because I’ve seen so many people used it in the refugee camp as well as both the northern and southern of Vietnam. If you have any question on them please feels free to email me at xuxixoong@gmail.com. I’m a big fan of your video

29. Aisha Elwood on April 18, 2021 at 12:51 am

John I pray you sell thousands of shirts dude im def purchasing a couple !! Crap on anyone who hates you for trying to honestly purchase land to do what your obviously passionate about. Your knowledge and time has been free for us students for yrs so keep pushing ahead ill def share this vid on my fb group page its the Rain Gutter Grow system and the guy who created it Larry Hall is also selling things to help himself as well, hes a good guy with a zeal for growing . FYI ok ive been here in Houston for 8months now & i found google translate is becoming my best friend lolololol thanks just being you 😚 you got it growin on!!!

30. Mac Frampton on April 18, 2021 at 12:51 am

My favorite nursery for buying fruit trees is the Ty Ty Nursery in Georgia and they ship plants directly to your home.

31. •cloudy potatos• on April 18, 2021 at 12:52 am

Thx for showing my dads work! So he can get more money!

32. Brandon Garewal on April 18, 2021 at 12:54 am

Thanks John

33. Lady Skywalker on April 18, 2021 at 12:57 am

Why do you recommend the red dragon fruit vs the white ones? Also, I read somewhere that you couldn’t eat their skin. Can you tell me about why anyone would say not to eat the skin?

34. Cindy Bernal on April 18, 2021 at 12:59 am

Cool! I live in Houston! I’ll have to go check them out.

35. P N on April 18, 2021 at 12:59 am

wow, we always throw away those purple berries. Maybe we will try juicing them sometimes.

36. Matthew Chapman on April 18, 2021 at 1:00 am

selling >_>

37. Humble Beast on April 18, 2021 at 1:00 am

Im in Cypress…NW HOUSTON!!! Been looking for a place with some quality mangos…other than the houston garden center, 🙁 they dont look that good there

38. Carlos on April 18, 2021 at 1:02 am

whoa whoa wait! Can we get that color combo T-shirt too??? I dont see it….(Blue and Green shirt)

39. Texas Journey on April 18, 2021 at 1:02 am

thanks John been looking for a nursery like this near me

40. J G on April 18, 2021 at 1:04 am

I knew it, as soon as you said best nursery in Houston. They really are the best great prices on vegtables and a vast selection of fruit trees, and wonderful ornamental especially bonsai. I’m not much of a flower person but I take my mom here every spring because the deals are great and the plants are vigorous.

41. Mekio San on April 18, 2021 at 1:06 am

Just got back from JRN. Loved it. We got sweet leaf, longevity, and okinawa spinach. We got a fourth plant that is supposed to be good at lowering cholesterol. Thank you for the information. Do you recommend any good places to help identify plants?

42. Kestrel Lee on April 18, 2021 at 1:06 am

Worst nursery in Houston! They cheat customers. I bought a Li Jujubee tree from this nursery. It did not bear fruits after 3 years. My friend had the same problem. Our botanist friend checked our trees and told us the Jujubee trees we grew were Lang Jujubee which needed pollination from other varieties of Jujubee to bear fruits. Lang Jujubee trees are cheap and easy to grow. JRN Nursery labeled and sold cheap Lang Jujubee trees as more expensive variety Li.

Don’t buy anything from this nursery. It sells all kinds of exotic tropical trees and flowers without labeling USDA Hard Zones for these plants. Most of these trees and flowers don’t survive in Houston which has deep frost every 3-5 years. My $120 lychee tree was killed by low temperature in January this year.

43. Jason Peppers on April 18, 2021 at 1:07 am

How do I buy the black shirt with green letters?

44. The Daily Hustle on April 18, 2021 at 1:08 am

Place is amazing! cant wait to go back

45. duplex freeman on April 18, 2021 at 1:09 am

have some good and tasty weed,quick delivery if interested wickr me "hunchoodini"

46. jacob smith on April 18, 2021 at 1:10 am

Thanks for the Texas edition ! Wondered if you have done any Dallas editions. It’s a lil different than the Houston climate.
    Thanks again for all you’ve shared.
    Jacob

47. Carol Nguyen on April 18, 2021 at 1:11 am

Will you show us some flowers ,perennial flowers….Thank you.

48. dot thomas on April 18, 2021 at 1:12 am

ALWAYS like your videos JOHN

49. mthlay15 on April 18, 2021 at 1:13 am

I have the plant at 14:10. it’s started to have purplish colored flowers. can I eat those as well? also should I should I prune it?
    thanks John