Cheap Plant Pots: HomeGoods vs. T.J.Maxx vs. DollarTree!

Where do you get your indoor plant pots? I hit up 3 popular stores near me: HomeGoods, T.J.Maxx, and DollarTree to see what the selection and price was…I think you’ll be surprised which won the battle!

I ended up getting 4 pots for $36 at T.J.Maxx and 2 hanging pots for $6 in my HomeGoods haul, so a total of 6 pots for $42, which is $7 per pot. I may end up drilling drainage holes in some of these as they’re solid bottoms and somewhat glazed, but for now I’ll just monitor my watering carefully.

SUPPORT EPIC GARDENING

→ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/epicgardening
→ FB Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/epicgardening/
→ TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@epicgardening
→ Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/epicgardening
→ Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/epicgardening

1. Ursula Larson on April 25, 2021 at 12:29 am

How do you drill a drainage hole?

2. J. C. on April 25, 2021 at 12:30 am

The best places to get cheap pots would be the 99 cent store, big lots and Walmart.

3. Irene G on April 25, 2021 at 12:31 am

Please slow down. I wanted to browse around Home Goods.

4. Elaine Marten on April 25, 2021 at 12:33 am

check out 2nd hand stores as well…they are a good place, but it depends on the day, as well. Garage Sales are a good place also. sometimes they are free (the plastic hanging pots, but take the chain off, paint them and away you go

5. Sora la Exploradora on April 25, 2021 at 12:34 am

I was shocked to find Michael’s has cute and nicely priced pots. They have spring sales and 20% coupons going on rn 👍🏽👍🏽

6. Joyce Corbitt on April 25, 2021 at 12:35 am

Instead of drilling in the bottom of the pot just add rocks for draing

7. musicinmheartnsoul on April 25, 2021 at 12:35 am

Jw if you purchase the pot that you broke and glued it together??

8. dechinta on April 25, 2021 at 12:37 am

I get pots from Dollar Tree, but I go to the bucket and wastebasket section, so you get bigger pots that work just fine for gardening, just drill some holes in the bottom for drainage. You can spray paint them to make them look more like pots or glue some of Dollar Tree’s gemstones around the pots.

Other than that, thrift stores have tons of them, or if you’re on Facebook, and SOS for "Anyone have any old planters they’re not using?" will usually get you more than you will ever need.

I use tall laundry baskets for composting because of the big holes…..

You just have to think outside the box. And speaking of boxes, I once needed one more planter for strawberries and didn’t feel like going back to the store, so I Just put a bag of potting soil in a big box, sprinkles the seeds in and the box held up for the whole season. Outside of course. It wasn’t pretty, naturally, but the strawberries were delicious and the box was great for the compost the following year.

9. Jason on April 25, 2021 at 12:37 am

Is this the strip mall in Sports Arena (SD)? If so, what’s up neighbor!

10. Rivers on April 25, 2021 at 12:37 am

.look but don’t touch…lol..learn your lesson the hard way? Lol

11. M Woods on April 25, 2021 at 12:38 am

Use the cheap plastic pots from dollar tree to double pot in those nicer pots.

12. dyscea on April 25, 2021 at 12:40 am

guess I’m making a trip to home goods

13. Shatzi Lee on April 25, 2021 at 12:40 am

How do you put drainage holes in the pots without cracking the pot?

14. Alejandra Parker on April 25, 2021 at 12:41 am

🙏🏼Peace and Blessings.
    Mr. Plastic man, I was disappointed when you bypassed those blue and white pots and vases.. they are Chinoiserie. vases. Very, very popular. Mostly with elite. This vases are replicas from Chinese pots and vases from Imperial China. Real Chinoiserie’s are mostly in England Museum stolen during the Opium Wars some worth as much as 15 million!
    I love anything Chinoiserie’s.
    I will not subscribed ….go back to Dollar store..
    4/7/21
    12:04PM🇺🇸

15. Elizabeth Johnston on April 25, 2021 at 12:42 am

Tj maxx and homegoods r sister companies…I love homegoods. It’s my place to relax

16. Cherry Popscile 33 on April 25, 2021 at 12:42 am

My god…They only want 20 dollars for the Dog Pot? I’d pay millions

17. Sarah Jackson on April 25, 2021 at 12:43 am

All pots aren’t suitable for growing food…. just my personal opinion. 🤷🏻‍♀️

18. M Woods on April 25, 2021 at 12:45 am

I like those ones with the feet. I have a few of them.

19. Claire T on April 25, 2021 at 12:49 am

The black and white pots look great in your room. I like how they match the pillows. I need to find some 5 gallon pots but everything’s more than I want to spend. Would a brown paper grocery bag work? Or would that get ruined quickly?

20. Diana Rufo on April 25, 2021 at 12:49 am

I’m portuguese and I’m surprise to see pots made in Portugal

21. Anonymous Anonymous on April 25, 2021 at 12:52 am

1:53 made me burst out laughing haha, whatre urns doing in the garden section!?

22. Aimee Steinberger on April 25, 2021 at 12:56 am

I’m curious did you have any trouble drilling drainage holes into these? I would be worried they might shatter?

23. Kelly K. on April 25, 2021 at 12:59 am

OF COURSE TJ Maxx is the best! Lol! No brainer!

24. KeDe Glow on April 25, 2021 at 12:59 am

Garage sales and Thrift Stores are where I get all of mine. I got three pots for $2.50 yesterday, and used 50 cents worth of paint, baking soda, and jute to transform them into really unique beauties last night. Fun!

25. Sandra Grace on April 25, 2021 at 1:00 am

Try the Indoor Outdoor Gardener in Brooklyn NY!

26. Rochelle Day on April 25, 2021 at 1:00 am

Your eyes are gorgeous sir! Also I think the pots that were more expensive might have been brand names, higher price points, and or better materials and that’s why they were more expensive. super love that you saw a strawberry planter I’m going to keep my eye out now. I’m 99% sure that t.J Maxx HomeGoods and Marshalls don’t drive customer demand because they get items when they don’t sell which is in my opinion way more environmentally friendly I could be wrong but I feel better when I shop these stores versus some of the other ones that might drive consumer demand and thus more production

27. Myk Al on April 25, 2021 at 1:00 am

The end of the video when all the mist came in lol.. reminded me of watching one of those gardening channels where its all dedicated to the one specific plant.

28. Sandie Edward on April 25, 2021 at 1:01 am

Put your plant with the pot it comes with into those pots without holes.. they grow fine water them , & put them back into the pottery pot… Or buy cheap ones from Dollar store inside expensive ones… Been growing plants in my pots for fifty plus years unless I accidently break one… Your plants look good

29. Judy Briones on April 25, 2021 at 1:01 am

Thanks for the info!

30. Poisyn Ivee on April 25, 2021 at 1:03 am

Wow I’m actually kinda surprised. This is very informative! Thanks!

31. Naomi Takahashi on April 25, 2021 at 1:03 am

something you’d put someone’s ashes – lol!

32. Alena16 20 on April 25, 2021 at 1:03 am

Most of these pots seem like they’re cover pots to make I for pots look nicer. That’s why they look really cool but don’t have drainage holes of anything like that.

33. [uhn-nohn] on April 25, 2021 at 1:05 am

I have had good luck at tj Maxx also, but also Ross which is hit or miss, but very reasonable

34. Christine Chuaviriya on April 25, 2021 at 1:06 am

My Homewood and TJMaxx is one store. All the home stuff is on the Homegoods side and the clothing etc is on the TJMaxx side. There is one line for the registers.

35. susan fudge on April 25, 2021 at 1:12 am

Ollie’s is best for pots. I got HUGE cobalt blue pots LESS than a stupid plastic pot at Wal-Mart.

36. Jacqui G on April 25, 2021 at 1:13 am

Those coco liners work great for me. Last a few years. The only other store that consistently has them in summer a similar size is $12.

37. john lara on April 25, 2021 at 1:14 am

I use 5 gallon bucked and drill holes. Makes it easy to add drip system

38. sueldrsyluvsutube on April 25, 2021 at 1:14 am

Happened to spot your video on the sidebar. Great video. I subscribed because you have so much information on your channel. I may even buy a plant for my apartment. Thank you.
    Most places like T.J. Maxx write off things that get broken. I had instant respect for you though when you were going to pay for the pot you accidentally broke. 👍

39. Ivette Borjas on April 25, 2021 at 1:15 am

I love tj max and Marshall’s for pots

40. Caramella Stevie on April 25, 2021 at 1:15 am

My dollar tree has these nice wide terracotta colored plastic pots, plan on using them for raised tomato plants cause of dogs, but also because they are THAT big!!!😊

41. Laura Kistner on April 25, 2021 at 1:16 am

Big lots has some interesting finds and reasonably priced!!! Good digs!

42. Epic Gardening on April 25, 2021 at 1:17 am

Plant in hanging pot is a watermelon BEGONIA (Pellionia repens), I misspoke! What 3 stores should I visit next?

43. Jessica Fodor on April 25, 2021 at 1:18 am

The Pt. Loma trifecta of stores. Hope you stopped by Gourmet Bagger for a sandwich afterwards!

44. Morbid Mizzy on April 25, 2021 at 1:19 am

Sooo…. Im a ceramic sculptor and potter. What you said about glazing on the inside, is it better to leave the inside of the pot completely unglazed? Planning on making a few for myself. Didn’t know the glaze on the inside was an issue.

45. Ada Mcdaniel on April 25, 2021 at 1:19 am

The false familiar famous grass steadily buzz because deer anatomically appreciate below a tightfisted catsup. fretful, large dancer

46. MsLouisV on April 25, 2021 at 1:20 am

That Dracena looks fabulous in that pot🥰

47. Richie’s Lil Bit Of Everything on April 25, 2021 at 1:22 am

Yeah very nice pots and flowers. Your right I love shopping at tjmax because it’s affordable price and lots of great item’s you can pick. Thank you for sharing and giving love and support.

48. frank james on April 25, 2021 at 1:23 am

TY for the suggestion

49. Jack Wilson on April 25, 2021 at 1:23 am

Great taste on the pot designs! Enjoyed the video.

50. Grants Rants Hollywood Talk on April 25, 2021 at 1:23 am

Date me. Let’s go to homegoods