Backyard Garden Makeover – Creating a Shady Zen Oasis (Before & After)

Gardener’s Supply Company, a company I’ve worked with for years, came by the Epic Gardening Headquarters to help transform my dull backyard into an epic, shady zen oasis! Come along as we show you what it looked like before, hit the local nursery, and do a full backyard makeover.

Prior to this, the garden makeover plans in the backyard were on pause for what felt like forever! Hopefully these garden design ideas give you a little inspiration to transform even a small, shady space into something peaceful and enjoyable.

IN THIS VIDEO

→ Casablanca Solar Lantern https://www.gardeners.com/buy/casablanca-solar-lantern/8600214.html
→ Solar Torch Light https://www.gardeners.com/buy/solar-torch-light/8600172.html
→ Festiva Planter https://www.gardeners.com/buy/festiva-self-watering-planters/8600233VS.html
→ Recycled Composite Raised Bed https://www.gardeners.com/buy/recycled-composite-raised-beds/8600165VS.html
→ Snip N’ Spray Sprinkler System https://www.gardeners.com/buy/deluxe-snip-n-spray-garden-and-landscape-sprinkler-system/8600500.html

SUPPORT EPIC GARDENING

→ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/epicgardening
→ FB Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/epicgardening/
→ TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@epicgardening
→ Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/epicgardening
→ Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/epicgardening

1. Emily Weir on April 26, 2021 at 12:06 am

Watching this in 2021 – could you do an update of the maintenance and what you’ve kept from the transformation and what you’ve evolved into something else?

2. Linda Jackson on April 26, 2021 at 12:06 am

Love the lights around the bamboo

3. Kellee Hicks on April 26, 2021 at 12:07 am

We have bamboo in our yard but it is wedged between to massive (as big as my two story house) oleanders. It is just as tall as the oleander but it hasn’t spread any. It is in very clayish soil (AZ). We have flood irrigation, and it’s right next to the valve, so it gets plenty water. I think it just can’t compete with the oleander.

4. awkwardly sipping tea on April 26, 2021 at 12:08 am

Have you thought about growing shade loving edibles such as garlic mustard? I’m not sure if you have it in the US but it grows in abundance here in England. My entire woodland is full of the stuff and it’s really rather pretty in its second year.

5. aa A on April 26, 2021 at 12:09 am

How do you deal with bugs/insects in such a plant dens backyard?

6. beinggreen24 on April 26, 2021 at 12:18 am

Looks amazing 😍. I need a little spot like that.

7. Rose76D TV on April 26, 2021 at 12:19 am

👍

8. Wayne Guy on April 26, 2021 at 12:25 am

What’s with the third eye

9. Steven S on April 26, 2021 at 12:25 am

Looks worse than it did at the beginning

10. Take it Easy on April 26, 2021 at 12:25 am

Thankyou Kevin for this video. I also have same space back of my house and going to make same garden. Love u frm India.

11. Epic Gardening on April 26, 2021 at 12:26 am
  12. zefa17 on April 26, 2021 at 12:28 am

The bamboos is amazing, but man the leafs are too much for me lols, Every falls my neighbors hate me.

13. Ana Maria on April 26, 2021 at 12:28 am

I have my back yard with pavers and you gave me the idea of using raised beds to have some sort of vegetation but my question is if I need to install something in the bottom to protect the pavers or is not necessary?

14. Theo Josh on April 26, 2021 at 12:29 am

A question ..
    i made some mounds innthe zen garden to imitate hills … i am thinking to cover these mounds with the protection of the soil that will later on contain gravel ..
    The mounds should be in future covered with moss or weeds .. so for making roots of moss and weeds i thought to put a thin layer 2 ” of soil ?
    What do you think ?
    Your appreciate advice !
    Thanks. Josh

15. Linda Jackson on April 26, 2021 at 12:29 am

Love the lights around the bamboo

16. Millie at CentralCAgarden on April 26, 2021 at 12:32 am

It looks really nice. As for the bamboo, I would have placed a thick lining as well inside the planter. Having 20 years growing bamboo, a 30 foot grove, the roots of bamboo are extremely strong and grew past my 3 ft barriers and possibly some cracked cement retaining wall. You don’t want to over water the bamboo as the roots will take off and do damage and feed it at least twice a year with lawn fertilizer to keep it green. The bamboo nursery I got my plants many years ago had instructed me to only do surface watering of the bamboo for less than 10 min. 21 years later, I am getting rid of the bamboo because the roots caused more damage that is much more costly.

17. Daniel Heltberg on April 26, 2021 at 12:33 am

Bamboo shoots are amazing if you boil the middle part

18. chulasexychica11 on April 26, 2021 at 12:33 am

Bamboo i thought u would want more edible plants sugar cane could have been good too

19. Michael Hunter on April 26, 2021 at 12:34 am

That fact you managed not to lose any toes is beyond me?

20. Green Living on April 26, 2021 at 12:39 am

WOW Amazing patio 🌿 using black bamboo or the blue varieties is definitely the right choice to create a Natural fence. I would suggest adding a water fountain to add on the tropical feel🌴 and bring harmony by disguising the noise that will eventually be coming from the road.

21. Eliska Charlotte W. on April 26, 2021 at 12:40 am

omg that poor bamboo i was really excited to see how it grew ! but yikes looks like not so well 🙁 thank you SO much for doing a follow up!! love to see how things grow and develop over time!

22. Eimantas Grabskis on April 26, 2021 at 12:42 am

Actually, even after a renovation this back yard still looks bad. You didn’t anything in this mess what already was you add more plants. you even not cleaning the mess or not pruners of existing shrubs…I am sorry but this back yard not the example to fallow it

23. Pepins Spot on April 26, 2021 at 12:42 am

Aww, some peace lilies would’ve done really well on that corner.

24. Teri Serio on April 26, 2021 at 12:43 am

Omg. Bamboo… nice to look at but never want that in my life again. One plant took over my entire terrace, spread though my waterfall, under all my stone work and ultimately spread into my lawn. ONE plant! We fought with the roots for years, dug up and tried to destroy them but those boogers were unphased. We moved after a 20 year fight and it was still invading the back yard and spreading under the fence to the neighbors yards. You can not get complacent with bamboo, it will take over your yard. I took to the internet to find out how to get rid of it. That was an eye opener. The stuff is impervious to any thing. Lots of sorry people looking for help. Worth a look at. I wish I had known this prior to planting. Btw mine was in a pot not in the ground but roots came through the pot and the rest is history. Just bought a house and you know I scoured the yard and gardens for any form of bamboo. That was a deal breaker no matter how much I loved the property. I wish you the best.

25. Maritsa Darmandzhyan on April 26, 2021 at 12:44 am

I think you’re INFJ because you appreciate people. You call them AMAZING which is what I would call them as an INFJ

26. christine sohn on April 26, 2021 at 12:47 am

Epic your wrong bamboo it will eat concrete 😂. I had a forest in my yard on our previous house 🏡 and it ate a the whole thing. However good news for you you have it over the concrete it may help.just don’t let it touch the ground.

27. Salvador Garza on April 26, 2021 at 12:48 am

Quedo peor de como estaba.

28. Barbara Carbone on April 26, 2021 at 12:48 am

That is magnificent. I just love greenery and leafy plants. Good job.

29. Jiaun Mew on April 26, 2021 at 12:48 am

Ask if you can eat black bamboo shoots. You may have another additional dish on your table 😂

30. syndi301 on April 26, 2021 at 12:50 am

Shady yard! shady garden! Looks awesome!

31. David Craig on April 26, 2021 at 12:51 am

the most common type of bamboo that people keep in your house isnt actually bamboo it is a type of lily. it doesnt grow as rapid as actual bamboo

32. dchall8 on April 26, 2021 at 12:51 am

I’ve been growing staghorn ferns in hanging baskets since 1973. They seem to do better in the basket than on the board. I line the basket with shredded sphagnum, carefully work the fertile leaves through the moss, fill the inside with potting soil, and water. In SoCal you have to watch them in the long dry spell from Feb to Jan. If you are closer to La Jolla they will be happier than if you’re in El Cajon. Mine actually do better in San Antonio with random rainfall.

33. Electriophile on April 26, 2021 at 12:51 am

You’re exceptionally brave to be planting bamboo, they can spread out of control and even breaks through concrete.

34. jephry gultiano on April 26, 2021 at 12:51 am

I beginning to love Kevin.

35. REHTSE on April 26, 2021 at 12:52 am

Do you need to fertilize the soil more ofter since it on top the concrete?

36. SRC on April 26, 2021 at 12:52 am

Your eyes are blue?? 😳😳

I think I’m pregnant 🌈😂🤷🏻‍♀️🥰

37. Maritsa Darmandzhyan on April 26, 2021 at 12:54 am

Do you know your MBTI type by any chance? I was thinking you’re ESTJ or INFJ

38. Steven S on April 26, 2021 at 12:55 am

Dislike this video EVERYONE

39. k v on April 26, 2021 at 12:56 am

Nice . But please reduce your music volume

40. Linda Jackson on April 26, 2021 at 12:57 am

Make sure you keep that bamboo cut back,because it Wil speaks everywhere in the yard.

41. Sarwat Kamal on April 26, 2021 at 12:58 am

Wow amazing

42. Alberto Ballado on April 26, 2021 at 12:59 am

Transformation????????WTF still ugly

43. Jona Ottewell on April 26, 2021 at 12:59 am

Wasn’t really a transformation you just bought some plants

44. Shannon Flynn on April 26, 2021 at 1:00 am

I didn’t hear you mention what your budget was for the backyard. It turned out so nice! I watched this video several months ago and came across it again and enjoyed it the second time. Our backyard needs to be done so bad so I love the ideas you shared😎👍

45. Jonathan Lee on April 26, 2021 at 1:00 am

Black bamboo I think you know is a running bamboo and well, if in restrict way to contain it I am not sure if this could cause it die or not. But surely is not something comfortable for the bamboo. Maybe could search the natural way that it would not spread out, I think its possible or otherwise the bamboos grow in wild they should have limitation too. Also the root, I wonder if it woule break the woodboard and even get in concrete. I know cases liked figs, could damage wall as it spreads.

46. Steven S on April 26, 2021 at 1:00 am

Unsubscribe from this channel EVERYONE

47. Velmad5 Dilbert on April 26, 2021 at 1:01 am

Awesome

48. MD on April 26, 2021 at 1:03 am

Give your bamboo some time, mine struggled the first year. The rule I’ve always heard with bamboo is year one it sleeps, year two it creeps, year three it leaps.

49. Willow Piwarunas on April 26, 2021 at 1:04 am

Awesome looking space with all the plants

50. 川姐频道 chuan jie on April 26, 2021 at 1:05 am