The Trick to Knowing WHEN to Start Your Seeds (& why I'm starting mine EXTRA early)

4 weeks, 8 weeks, 6 weeks…. how does one manage all this seed starting stuff and not miss the boat?? In this video, I’ll show you my trick for keeping track of WHEN to start all my seeds, plus why I’m living on the edge and planting some of my seeds extra early. *CLICK SHOW MORE*

▢️ The Scoop on my Indoor Seed Starting System: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRy0kc5vhQc&t=2s

😨 That Time My Spinach Plants Froze SOLID (and didn’t die!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUw0ouAR4aA&t=640s

πŸ₯© Get Updates When Our Grass-fed/Grass-finished Beef is Ready to Ship! https://meet.theprairiehomestead.com/…​

πŸ‘©β€πŸŒΎ Design YOUR Dream Homestead, No Matter Where You Live: http://theprairiehomestead.com/layout​​​​

πŸ“ LIVE OLD-FASHIONED ON PURPOSE:
+ The Prairie Homestead Cookbook: http://homesteadcookbook.com​​​​
+ Learn How to Cook Like a Homesteader: http://heritagecookingclass.com​​​​
+ Learn How to Can (Safely!): http://learnhowtocan.com/learntocan3​​​​
+ Prairie Homestead Merch! http://homesteadswag.com​​​​
+ The Homestead Mercantile: http://theprairiehomestead.com/shop​​​​

🌎 OTHER PLACES WE HANG OUT:
+ The Old-Fashioned on Purpose Podcast: http://oldfashionedonpurpose.com​​​​
+ The Prairie Homestead Blog: http://theprairiehomestead.com​​​​
+ Follow Along on Instagram: http://instagram.com/theprairiehomestead

1. Brenda Casseles on April 28, 2021 at 12:00 am

Do you know when you will be selling your beef?

2. Meg McGinnis on April 28, 2021 at 12:02 am

I hadn’t thought of Vanna White impersonation…that’s funny. I was thinking more along the lines of air traffic control or stewardess. Made me laugh. πŸ™‚ Great video…I like the calendar idea…great help. Thank you!!

3. Mark & Kristy Nichols on April 28, 2021 at 12:05 am

Anxious to see the comparison between the trays and soil block maker! Been debating on getting the block maker, so happy to see results! Thanks Jill!!! ❀️ Kristy (still behind in starting my seeds) in Missouri zone 6b πŸ˜ƒπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ

4. Mark & Kristy Nichols on April 28, 2021 at 12:06 am

Holy Hannah! My potatoes look just like those!! Planting them! ❀️ Kristy yet again πŸ€£πŸ˜ƒπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ

5. Vonda Kay Shaeffer on April 28, 2021 at 12:07 am

Using the highlighter on the calendar trick for the first time. Thank you for the great idea!

6. Jill Winger - The Homestead Mentor on April 28, 2021 at 12:07 am

Thanks for watching! If you want more info on how I set up my indoor seed starting system– here’s a video with all the detail! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRy0kc5vhQc&t=2s

7. Shannon Jones on April 28, 2021 at 12:07 am

I use a cattle mineral tub for my potting soil too! Good job!!😁

8. Mark & Kristy Nichols on April 28, 2021 at 12:08 am

Love the spinach and kale! I have about 30 kale plants hat actually over wintered here in zone 6b southern Missouri πŸ˜ƒπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ! ❀️ ya sis! Kristy

9. Dee Mulloy on April 28, 2021 at 12:08 am

Love your video’s! You are so great at breaking things down and explaining everything, that even a newbie like me can understands. β™₯β™₯

10. This Beautiful Farm Life on April 28, 2021 at 12:08 am

Have you tried mache and claytonia. Also super cold hardy and really good!

11. FrannieinWV on April 28, 2021 at 12:09 am

New to starting seeds. How warm should it be at night to keep my plants in my cattlepanel greenhouse?

12. Jesus loves YOU on April 28, 2021 at 12:11 am

hi! I am a new subscriber! I just found your channel. I love that you have a lot of "how to" videos that are clear and to the point. It makes educating myself not as overwhelming lol
    Thank you! Glad I found your channel. Look forward to watching more of your videos. God bless

13. Robin Wilson on April 28, 2021 at 12:12 am

Great video. Where did you get that awesome seed box with all the separate boxes for your seeds? Love it!

14. Ella Hayes on April 28, 2021 at 12:13 am

I thought the kale would be ok in the greenhouse. I’ve got some in a pot outside and the temp has been in the teens several times with snow, and it looks good still.

15. Cee Brown on April 28, 2021 at 12:15 am

I have a 3 season porch that I heat with a space heater, but I started some of my snow peas way too early. I have to brainstorm how to keep them from looking like ground cover. I may pre plant them in a burlap lined window box liner with a little light wire fence that can let them vine until I can get them out.

I welcome any suggestions

16. Eilla Bartels on April 28, 2021 at 12:15 am

Where did you get your seed sorting container?

17. Alba Downing on April 28, 2021 at 12:15 am

❣️Jill, you read my mind! I am feeling so overwhelmed with all the information out there on what to do and when ~ as usual, you are a calming voice in my life. Thank you dear lady❣️❣️❣️❣️

18. Shae Shae on April 28, 2021 at 12:18 am

What possessed you to cut off all those slips I’m curious because all those slips would have gave you more potatoes

19. **** on April 28, 2021 at 12:19 am

I’ve been OBSESSIVELY listening to your podcast since I discovered you a few months ago. Every podcast and video you post is chock full of information and I’m obsessed! You’ve inspired me to start my homestead in southern AZ 😁

20. paula nelson on April 28, 2021 at 12:21 am

Just watched your video of your favorite things in your kitchen! Do you sell a hard copy of you book Homestead handbook! I would love a hard copy!

21. Tom Deschesne on April 28, 2021 at 12:23 am

Potatoes. Just brush the sprouts off and discard the spouts. You can submerge your potatoes in water for a couple of hours or so. ?? They are only dehydrated. Submerging them rehydrates them. Leave to air dry and restore them. Desprout them well advance before planting time to give them time to heal and resprout. Keep potatoes in dark. Dont leave them out for a day in lite untill you are planting them. Enjoy! Your potatoes are doing very well!! Good job! Oh, i know potatoes! I live in a big potatoe producing area and have worked with them sence a child. Yes, hand picking potaoes since i was 5 yrs old!! To potaoes fields, harvesters, warehouses and McCains French fry plants!! 😁😁 i’m 62 now.

22. Elsa L on April 28, 2021 at 12:23 am

Beautiful greenhouse!!

23. Squirrelly Acres Where nuts come to gather on April 28, 2021 at 12:25 am

I’m new to your channel, and was wondering what is that container your using to store your seed.

24. Jorina Mulder on April 28, 2021 at 12:27 am

Yes, planting those potatoes works. I’ve done that for years! I do it in my main vegetable garden, or in containers really early that I keep in my garage.

25. Brigitte Madrid on April 28, 2021 at 12:27 am

"Keep your children alive" πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ yep that’s how it goes!

26. Ellen Mancuso on April 28, 2021 at 12:30 am

My husband and I moved to just outside a small rural town . we have a good sizes garden and can a lot. Just 2 of us and we are retired. I used to be on meds for diabetes but not 4 years later after the garden and cooking all our food and canning.

27. Lisa Brown on April 28, 2021 at 12:34 am

Thanks for the information!

28. Dragonflyz Ozark Homestead on April 28, 2021 at 12:36 am

Everyone please keep Heather of @The Kneady Homesteader in your prayers. She is an awesome channel, person, content creator and has suffered a tragic loss. Please visit her channel. πŸ™πŸ˜ͺ❀

29. keli Surfs on April 28, 2021 at 12:38 am

Jill, Go and look at Justin Rhodes YouTube channel he does a whole video on Soil block use.

30. poolfield2 on April 28, 2021 at 12:42 am

Is there a video about your greenhouse? We live in a windy spot at 700’ and I reckon if your greenhouse survives your windy weather it should survive here. Do I guess correctly that it is polycarbonate?

31. Hallie Nelson on April 28, 2021 at 12:42 am

Hey Jill, so I looked up our last frost date (97735) in the good ol Farmers Almanac. Last Spring Frost and First Fall Frost were both labeled "Year Round Risk". So we never really plant before Memorial Weekend so basically that is when I am safe. But the last one, I guess I have never paid attention because when we would head to the fair Labor Day weekend it seemed like we were freezing… ya I don’t know. P.S. Have you planted anything in old stock tanks? I have a LOT of rusted out round ones but not sure how to cover them. You know for those year round frost risks. *sigh*

32. Kyle Jensen on April 28, 2021 at 12:42 am

i like the way you store your seeds what containers are you using

33. Keli Cress on April 28, 2021 at 12:43 am

Dear Jill I absolutely can’t get enough of your podcasts and YouTube channel and Facebook page! Your lifestyle is so inspiring and I can’t thank you enough for sharing

34. Mark & Kristy Nichols on April 28, 2021 at 12:44 am

🀣🀣🀣 keep your children alive🀣🀣🀣 you know, things like that! ❀️ Kristy in Missouri πŸ˜ƒπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ

35. Victor's Farming Adventures on April 28, 2021 at 12:45 am

I love your seed storage system … May I ask where you got it ?

36. Cindy Holy on April 28, 2021 at 12:46 am

Good system i might try it

37. Deb Briggs on April 28, 2021 at 12:46 am

Where are you/ state/zone?

38. Deborah Jabara on April 28, 2021 at 12:47 am

where do you get those flat boxes you keep your seeds in?

39. Tom Deschesne on April 28, 2021 at 12:48 am

Baby potatoes are called "new" potatoes. No need to peel them. Cook with skins. New potatoes are potatoes that the skins havent set. Setting the skins is killing the potato tops before digging them. You store potatoes after you set their skins. New potatoes are too delicate to store. Live your videos!

40. Cherie Ellis on April 28, 2021 at 12:48 am

This is the soil block mix I use and it works awesome! Make sure to sift the peat moss and compost. When dry ingredients are mixed together than mix 3 parts dry mixture to 1 part water.
    Recipe comes from The Gardener’s Workshop
    16 c sifted peat moss
    4 c sifted compost
    1/4 c green sand
    1/4 c rock phosphate powder

41. Aay Jay on April 28, 2021 at 12:49 am

Where’s u get that seed organizer box thingy majig?

42. Mark PNW on April 28, 2021 at 12:49 am

I planted my potatoes in the greenhouse in pots 6 weeks ago. Then out side in pots covered with three layers, window frame and two layers of 6mil plastic.
    Just to experiment.

43. Kim Williams on April 28, 2021 at 12:52 am

Cool 😎

44. Alba Downing on April 28, 2021 at 12:52 am

How about harvesting some rainwater off the green house for use in there? – at least part of the year.

45. Dianne Miller on April 28, 2021 at 12:55 am

Lol watching your directions on your walkway reminds me of an airline stewardess. Cute!! I have to print out a calendar and color code it. Wow at a glance planting

46. Rebecca Carnell on April 28, 2021 at 12:55 am

What soil do you use?

47. Cammille Hill on April 28, 2021 at 12:55 am

Last year when there wasn’t potatoes and definitely no seed potatoes available… I sprouted and planted borrowed potatoes. (Yes borrowed, not kidding!!) It worked wonderfully!
    I cut them and let them dry out before planting. (I saw that on a YouTube video, if I remember whose idea it was, I’ll share here)
    I’m excited to see your potatoe harvest!!

48. Jenna H on April 28, 2021 at 12:56 am

Can you show where you got the containers you store your seeds in? That thing looks awesome!

49. Cammille Hill on April 28, 2021 at 12:57 am

You are a Rockstar!
    You are such an inspiration to me! Thank you to you and your family for sharing your journey!!

50. Mama Julie Cooks on April 28, 2021 at 12:58 am

That is an awesome looking greenhouse!!! Do you mind telling me who you bought it from?