I'm Planting My Garden On Cement?!

Gardening has always been something that I have had a passion for and a desire to learn more about. I will be walking you through my plan for my garden, as well as how I made my raised garden beds.

I hope you find this way of making raised garden beds useful and easy!

Supplies Needed:
(4) 8 foot boards
(3) 12 foot boards
(2) 8 foot landscape lumber posts
2.5” screws
1/2” Galvanized Hardware Cloth
Landscape Fabric
** I used cedar for my lumber

_________________________________________________

II C O N N E C T W I T H M E II

Summer’s Instagram – www.instagram.com/sumgoodstuff/

_________________________________________________

For Business Inquiries or Collaborations, email:
summgoodstuff@gmail.com

FTC: This video was not sponsored!

#diy #raisedgardenbeds #selfsufficient

1. Garry Greim on April 28, 2021 at 12:10 am

If you put a lite coat of oil on your handsaw it will work much better

2. Kevin Curry on April 28, 2021 at 12:11 am

Jay. you’re supposed to give the lady your gloves…

3. Dan Shadoin on April 28, 2021 at 12:11 am

When you are done with these beds, and go to RaisedBed2.0, I have a feeling you will make a couple design changes that allow you to grow bigger crops on less water and have lasting success. I wish you well. My father raised vegetables in a frame that changed quite a bit as he learned. I am fortunate in that I get the final education without all the mistakes ahead of time. And since you are a couple craft young people, I ask that you watch THIS video. You may find the design for your next generation garden project: hydroponihttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD_3_gsgsnkc

4. Joan Tabb on April 28, 2021 at 12:15 am

It’s wonderful you and Jay are doing this project as a team.

5. B Krajewski on April 28, 2021 at 12:19 am

I’d also like to have some raised garden beds, maybe next Spring. I think your plan is a good one.

6. MJs Smile on April 28, 2021 at 12:20 am

ahhh well there could be your water problem…landscape fabric…when you water, do actually see water coming out from the bottom of the garden beds?

7. John MacDonald on April 28, 2021 at 12:21 am

When loading and unloading lumber. Make sure to wear leather or a protective gloves to avoid getting slivers. I got a sliver in the palm of my hand many many years ago. I thought my wife got the sliver out but a week later my hand was still had a good portion of the pine wood sliver. So a visit to the Doctors office was required. A needle to freeze the palm of the hand was required (pain from the needle entering the palm of my hand was excruciating) a set of magnifying glasses to find the exact location of the sliver. The colour of the sliver was the same shade as the palm of my hand. A set of twizzers to extract the pesky piece of timber from my hand. Thus gloves are a necessity. Keep up your great work the videos are well made and you and your husband work well together.

8. gunga din on April 28, 2021 at 12:21 am

Nice plans and final product.
    Spray the bottom ends of the posts with used motor oil or a wood preservative every year from lumber store. Makes them last much longer

9. m1t2a1 on April 28, 2021 at 12:22 am

My betrothed saw this video. Last month I built her a garden on a prehistoric concrete pad.
    There’s a surprise coming. A hoe ram to break up the pad. Then the whole thing can be garden.

10. Pat Smalldon on April 28, 2021 at 12:22 am

Well done

11. Nick Feilmeier on April 28, 2021 at 12:22 am

Daddy Cornstar to the rescue! He’s the man.

12. LaDonna Wipf on April 28, 2021 at 12:22 am

Love this raised bed concept. We spend a lot of time weeding….you have avoided the necessity of doing that.

13. davidhintz1 on April 28, 2021 at 12:23 am

That Looks like an old brooder house.  I recognized that ratty old dumptruck. ;o)

14. pickerick1 on April 28, 2021 at 12:23 am

Found you from Cole’s.. I’m a gardener to… good luck with this years garden

15. Ron Mack on April 28, 2021 at 12:25 am

Enjoyed the video and those are very nice garden beds and having them on cement is a plus. Y’all take care and God bless.

16. Tobias Tho on April 28, 2021 at 12:29 am

Great stuff! I would add son diagonal strength… with rain or snow and wind there could be a bigger forces on them…

17. John MacDonald on April 28, 2021 at 12:31 am

A word of advice instead of building raised beds extend the frame to the ground. You can fill a good part of the cavity with untreated chunks of wood. Maybe your Dad or Cole could drop off some wood from the excavating trees from the old fence lines or edges of streams. The wood will decay over time. It will help retain water so less water is required during watering as the wood will release moisture back into the soil. The garden boxes will require more soil for the setup but the soil on the lower level doesn’t necessarily require it to be the same quality as the top soil to produce an excellent crop.

18. Bill White on April 28, 2021 at 12:36 am

My first, Sum Good Stuff, viewing. I feel a short binge coming on.

19. Martha Childs on April 28, 2021 at 12:36 am

Great!

20. Scott Andersen on April 28, 2021 at 12:39 am

Way to go Summer!

21. Babii 4eva on April 28, 2021 at 12:39 am

I loved this video and your raised beds. Hubby and I are copying you and building mine now :). One thing though, if those posts you used are treated landscape timbers I would suggest not burning them especially indoors as they can give off toxic fumes, possibly including copper, chromium, zinc and or arsenic. Might be better off finding another small project to utilize them rather than taking a risk.

22. jim bob on April 28, 2021 at 12:39 am

Are you sure about cedar, because that looks like treated lumber.

23. Chris Certain on April 28, 2021 at 12:40 am

Awesome job y’all. ❤️

24. Larry Daniels on April 28, 2021 at 12:41 am

As to the title- do you plan to put in a cement pond as well? Mad props to the Beverly Hillbillies! You are putting the garden onto concrete, the cement (Portland cement) is a component of concrete. The cement, when mixed with water holds the aggregate (sand, gravel and possible other additives ) in suspension and this mixture is very hard when cured. Concrete is one of the most important building materials of the modern world and was invented by the Romans 2,300 years ago and is considered by many to be one of their greatest technological advancements.

25. Nick Feilmeier on April 28, 2021 at 12:42 am

Also. Is your husband wearing a Hawkeye boys state shirt?! My two older brothers as well as myself all went. Super fun time

26. SheBrat Patterson on April 28, 2021 at 12:42 am

I’ve wandered over here from your brother’s channel.. Loving what I am seeing. Are you planning on sealing or painting the wood from the beds? It will make it last longer. Also I read in one of the comments here that you are hoping to have chickens~ their droppings make excellent fertilizer, not sure how that works out in a container garden tho? I probably would have kept the longer legs and used the top part for solar lights? I dunno, it might have made it look purrty? Keep up the great work! I really like this channel & your brother’s for the wholesomeness of it!

27. Y YIII on April 28, 2021 at 12:47 am

Time for a real chainsaw. Stihl is the best! Also do not use that treated pine lumber in a home fireplace. Also do not use treated lumber if you want to roast hotdogs, marshmallows or any food.

28. Road warrior on April 28, 2021 at 12:47 am

Not trying to criticize or anything. I totally support what you’re doing. With these raised beds be prepared to use a lot of water they dry out very fast. Soil temperatures will be different as well from ground-level beds and hard to maintain. Good luck in your endeavor to a more sustainable living

29. Connie Thingstad on April 28, 2021 at 12:48 am

you’re too young to need such raised beds! but you will not be sorry! so much more enjoyable gardening when you aren’t bent over all the time. great video

30. Wendla Thompson on April 28, 2021 at 12:48 am

I would have left the height on the posts to hold up coverings if needed for protection against cold, heavy rain or really strong sun and heat.

31. bethany douglass on April 28, 2021 at 12:49 am

Really enjoyed this video! My husband and I are planning on planting a garden this year too. Can’t wait too see what you plant!

32. Robyn Crouse on April 28, 2021 at 12:52 am

Try menthol shave cream on your sunburn. Put it on fluffy. Don’t rub. After about 30 minutes just shower it off.

33. Mary Kapla on April 28, 2021 at 12:52 am

👍🏻

34. Charmain Killoran on April 28, 2021 at 12:53 am

You did a good job of planning your garden. Too many people rush in without a solid plan and end up with something they don’t like.

35. J. Nusz on April 28, 2021 at 12:55 am

You forgot your goggles when using power tools! Slivers in eyes – not fun.

36. Cowboy Nate on April 28, 2021 at 12:56 am

I love your shed!! Also, my daughter (who’s leaving for college this fall) was inspired to try to get me to make these with you. We’ll be a little late if we do it this year, but still. Also, we’ve talked that it’d be cheaper to buy a house in Houghton, MI, than it would be to keep doing dorm rates and now she’s got an idea to make these (with the extended top! allows for better hot-housing) for that house.
    Love your vids, thank you!

37. Gara Hastings on April 28, 2021 at 12:59 am

Never been in a. Home Depot with so few people!

38. deloreanfan81 on April 28, 2021 at 1:00 am

9:03 that’s why God invented karate…hyyyy…yahhhh lol

39. Kasey Thomas on April 28, 2021 at 1:00 am

Growing up in the country, I don’t really understand making all these wood beds. You gave land all around you. Why not save money by just growing them the old way. Wouldn’t it save money, watering etc.? You’re young, so bending over isn’t an issue. I think of raised beds for small city yards.

40. Pamella Smith on April 28, 2021 at 1:00 am

Been following you but guess I missed this one , I enjoy your videos every nite ❤️🤍💙🇨🇱

41. Clinton Emmert on April 28, 2021 at 1:01 am

Love you used cedar wood, never seen wire for the bed b-4. You may want to add plastic over the wire bed, and up all 4 sides about 3” inches. This will help with holding some moisture, in the dirt. It

42. Marlene Flanagan on April 28, 2021 at 1:01 am

these table level beds are genius! My old knees can really get behind this.

43. Cindy Perkins on April 28, 2021 at 1:03 am

You needed to incorporate some potting soil and some bags what’s basicly sterilized poop into that soil it should look black and light feeling .that looks like has a lot of clay base and when wet it packs..you have less weight on your beds and plants can push up and not be packed into the soil.. Cole garden has same issues..you are doing veggies not field corn or soybeans.saw a video of planting by house that soil you poured out for flowers is more like what your garden needs.. miracle grow is a good fertilizer and merigolds help keep the bugs down.don’t like seeing people working so hard at something then give up because what doing isn’t working..it years of gardening and finding what works,what doesn’t.post you cut off you could of used to tie your box covers on.good luck on ur 1st planting. Don’t come out as u planned keep trying do lots reading and try what sounds doable..it all about the learning what works for u and what doesn’t.good to see a young couple working together towards their goals.

44. Jesse Miller on April 28, 2021 at 1:04 am

When do clean your box

45. Shelley Ash on April 28, 2021 at 1:05 am

No safety glasses using the chainsaw? That could end up not so well.

46. greg johnston on April 28, 2021 at 1:06 am

Just came over from the cornstarch vlog. I’ve been thinking about doing a raised garden as I have converted our large garden site to Native Forbs for the pollinators and Monarchs. Nice presentation and editing.

47. Sherry Tangirala on April 28, 2021 at 1:07 am

That’s a garden I could do! Great job!

48. ksfraz on April 28, 2021 at 1:08 am

4:03 All your wood with the green tint is Pressure Treated with pesticide. It WILL leach into the soil it’s in contact with!

49. Elise BB on April 28, 2021 at 1:08 am

I like that your garden beds are 3 feet high. Great explanations!

50. Sharon G on April 28, 2021 at 1:09 am

Aww Summer! Seeing your precious father helping you out with the screws and the screwdriver brought tears to my eyes. I lost my Dad to cancer and I miss him every single day. Cherish your Dad. He’s one special guy who loves his daughter and sons so very much. With Love 💖