Gardening 101 Ep1: Indoor Vegetable Seed Starting Basics: Seeds, Starting Supplies & Lighting

I will be doing a longer video series called Gardening 101 exclusively on 2nd YT Channel My First Vegetable Garden. It can be searched with a digital table of contents. The series is geared to the first time vegetable gardener. Today’s episode is all about the basics of indoor seed starting. I cover seeds and what GMO, Heirloom, Hybrids and Organic means, basic seed starting supplies, seed starting mix and out of the box grow-lights. Enjoy!

Visit my seed shop MFVG tab for My First Vegetable Garden discount seed packages: https://www.therustedgarden.com/collections/my-first-vegetable-garden-seeds-supplies-discount-packages

Here is The Rusted Garden Link to Amazon for Seed Starting & Gardening Supplies
http://amzn.to/2FgufvF Thanks for using my link. It helps fund my garden videos!

0:00 Series Introduction
1:30 What are GMO’s Seeds
2:33 What are Heirloom Seeds
3:30 What are Organic Seeds
4:56 What are Hybrid Seeds
6:44 Pressed Peat Moss Seed Starting Cells – ‘I don’t like them’
7:47 Basic Plastic Seed Starting Cells
9:30 Basic Seed Starting Mix Tips
10:50 Boiling Water to Stop Fungus Gnats
11:22 Water Trays and Bottom Watering
14:17 Basics on Cool Weather and Warm Weather Crops
15:30 Grow Light Basics – Lumens & Kelvin Ratings

Here is the Lights of America LED 4500 Lumens, 5000K 4 foot Shop Light as seen in video http://amzn.to/2DCf8zi
Here is the Lithonia Lighting LED 3000 Lumens, 4000K 3 foot Shop light as seen in the video http://amzn.to/2DZWkIl
Amazon price will vary as I quoted Walmart in store price.

Here is Episode 2 of Gardening 101: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UxsasovsFI

Visit The Rusted Garden Seed & Garden Shop:https://www.therustedgarden.com/

Follow me on Instagram for Gardening Tips, Harvest Updates & Give-Aways: https://www.instagram.com/therustedgarden/

1. Samya Sycrets on April 29, 2021 at 12:35 am

Karmom legal goste mim deixa atualizada

2. seraby on April 29, 2021 at 12:35 am

Yeah those peat moss/eggtray starting tray sucks. I dunno how others are able to grow seedlings there. They dry up so fast and if you cover it with plastic, it easily grows mold.

3. onesliqvic on April 29, 2021 at 12:37 am

can you use toilet paper/paper towel rolls instead of plastic cups/pots?

4. ChesapeakeFan on April 29, 2021 at 12:38 am

Good stuff. Thanks for the tips!

5. Truth B. Told on April 29, 2021 at 12:41 am

Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I am subscribed now. I am so glad to have come across this video today. Time to tend to the seedlings

6. Beast lover on April 29, 2021 at 12:42 am

My 2 cents Thank you for this VERY INFORMATIVE video I am starting my garden indoors after my surgery, I am getting the supplies and you have helped me so much. So I will be watching your series to get a healthy, happy garden and good call about the outside soil DIDN’T KNOW ALL THOSE EGGS WERE IN THERE UNTIL THEY HATCHED AND ATE ALL MY PLANTS!!!

7. April Cassell on April 29, 2021 at 12:42 am

I’m very familiar with outdoor gardening, but have been wanting to up my game on indoor seed starting. I’m very much into organized, squarefoot gardening type growing since I don’t have a large yard, and I just like to categorize and know what I’m growing. Don’t want to support something for a couple months which I realize at the end is a weed! Your video was right up my alley! I loved the style to your video so much; it was organized and you were so smooth with the presentation. A++!

8. Jennifer G on April 29, 2021 at 12:43 am

Hey Gary, I like the idea of bottom watering that you shared with me last year. I do it all the time now for seedling starts. I am using the Bootsrap Farmer 1020 trays without holes to collect water and the 1020 with holes (or the 1020 soil block mesh trays) to sit the 6 packs in. Works great. I can have one tray filled up half way with water then pull the set of twelve 6 packs out of another 1020 tray as one unit then sit in the tray for watering. Then when done, put it back in its original tray and then put the next 1020 tray with holes in the water. Hope it’s okay to share the water like that.. makes it easy.

9. Amanjot Kaur on April 29, 2021 at 12:43 am

Very informative. Thank you

10. Random Salty Person on April 29, 2021 at 12:43 am

Great information 👍thank you!

11. Justina Durfee on April 29, 2021 at 12:45 am

Just came across your channel and Wow, very helpful for this first time gardener!!! 🌱

12. Moto 1 Parts on April 29, 2021 at 12:48 am

Great tips, thank you

13. MayanMountainInc on April 29, 2021 at 12:49 am

I didn’t know Johnny Knoxville was into gardening. Awesome!

14. GJ Hoptowit on April 29, 2021 at 12:51 am

this video is super helpful, and really enjoyable to watch! Thank you!

15. Martin Dolben on April 29, 2021 at 12:53 am

used the walmart grow light, the only thing that came was the beans

16. SuperSaltydog77 on April 29, 2021 at 12:54 am

Many gardeners, including myself, appreciate you sharing your knowledge . Now, if I could just get the weather to cooperate.

17. beth crist on April 29, 2021 at 12:54 am

Thank you so much for the info on the hybrid seeds. I have steered away from them because of all the bad info I have heard. I am not going to be saving seeds. Not at that point in gardening yet. I am just trying to grow some vegetables. and dang I just bought the peat pots to start my seeds!!! Figured it would be less damaging to the plants roots when I transplant. Oh well going to go with what I have. I’m in very warm weather so going to have the seeds outdoors in the sun and indoors at night. going to try growing some broccoli and cauliflower as a fall crop

18. Von Squirrel on April 29, 2021 at 12:54 am

Well, I will be taking the dome off. After just 12 hours I see the humidity forming

19. Brian S on April 29, 2021 at 12:56 am

What a great video. I just wonder if shop lights will be ok for an indoor garden. I have many of them and do want to save some money. They are the 40 watt version. Keep up the good work. Thanks!

20. Gino Parisi on April 29, 2021 at 12:57 am

Hey Gary! Thanks for all the help with my first garden. I”ve been using a light for 3 weeks now. Cells of 6. Pretty ambitious, I have a lot growing. My garden is waiting for transplants, and I have a lot of room there. I’ve built 3 double rows. However, I think I overseeded my cells. I’ve had to trim out A LOT. I notice that very few of the seedlings have begun to grow adult leaves…. A lot are skinny and almost looked stretched. I would imagine that they have been crowded and competing for life. I don’t know if they are ready for transplant. I’m down to about 4-6 seedlings per cell. It used to be 10/15 (i’ve had no idea what I’m doing).

What should my next steps be? Will it hurt the seedlings if I split the cell soils in order to transplant to the garden? Should I start intermediate and put into cells of 4? I don’t have much more room under my light. At what point can I just say screw it and put them in the ground? I’m in Colorado, by the way. In Denver. We’re getting very good growing weather for the next week and a half.

Thank you so much!!!

Gino

21. Blue Sapphire on April 29, 2021 at 12:58 am

First time planting for me and this video was very helpful! I’m going to check into some of your links. 😃
    Can I put boiling water on any soil? Or only seed starting soil?
    I would have 10–15 gallon planters on my porch (I’m in a condo) and have different soil in these. This is where the transplants would go.
    Thank you!!

22. Nerd4 Beauty on April 29, 2021 at 12:58 am

This was such a good video! I’m trying to start an indoor garden for mostly herbs and some veggies and air purifying plants and have no clue where to begin. I’m so happy I found your channel!

23. Markiza Nochi on April 29, 2021 at 12:59 am

Hi I like your Chanel,I’m starting my seeds this yr, I got soil and I have most my seeds from last yr from my garden. I also order light ,hope it’s good. Also have questions, I live in zone 5 and we can’t plant till end off May ,after Mother’s Day or later ,be we have freeze sometimes, so can I start now all my seeds, it’s be tomato, peppers,eggplant,herbs,onion seeds.,cucumbers,zucchini.

24. Shane Russell on April 29, 2021 at 1:00 am

When your bottom watering do you leave the bottom of the containers constantly submerged?

25. Rick Schaeffer on April 29, 2021 at 1:00 am

I’m a well seasoned gardener, but I still like to come back to your basic/beginner videos. There is always something more to learn, or maybe a reminder of something I forgot. Plus, I just enjoy listening to fellow gardeners talking about what we all love. Thanks for the videos, Gary. 🙂

26. WanRóisìn on April 29, 2021 at 1:03 am

I love how he keeps on giving options. Thank you so much 💖

27. grigore elko on April 29, 2021 at 1:08 am

Thanks lots, very helpful 😁

28. Yomama Who on April 29, 2021 at 1:09 am

I like the links you provide for products are great value. I tend to buy the first thing that pops up and is usually an over priced item. Looking to your expertise in information of plants and products thanks!

29. Nombuso on April 29, 2021 at 1:09 am

This was amazing. Thank you so much

30. Madu Rama on April 29, 2021 at 1:09 am

"organic is a type of gardening, it doesn’t mean you just buy things that say organic on it"

31. iron man on April 29, 2021 at 1:10 am

Great video , I look forward to watching more

32. Jan Williams on April 29, 2021 at 1:10 am

Hi Gary, you have a great channel and I have used it to gain knowledge as I am new at gardening. But I would imagine there are so many times that information seems obvious and get missed. You are in zone 7 as am. Your timing to begin seeding is earlier – I think – than necessary for transplanting into the garden probably because you are teaching prior to actual needing to seed. I know it would be a lot of work but have you thought about creating a calendar for both cold and warm season plants as to when to actually seed and when to transplant into the garden so that some confidence could be gained on our end as to know we are not late or early? Again, you have a great channel. Thanks

33. SeherMakeupStudio on April 29, 2021 at 1:15 am

You are amazing!!! Love your videos! Keep them coming pls 🙂

34. Gary Pilarchik on April 29, 2021 at 1:16 am

Seed Starting Supplies: http://amzn.to/2GrGaZ7                  Please Support The Rusted Garden:
    Garden Fertilizers: http://amzn.to/2DIQDRY                          By using these Amazon links, any Amazon purchase
    Garden Disease & Pest Control: http://amzn.to/2Fqvl8e     you make returns a % of sales back to TRG.
    Grow Lights:http://amzn.to/2GudeiO                                       I turn most of that back into the garden and videos.
    Amazon General Search Page: http://amzn.to/2DZBzyZ     THANKS! Greatly Appreciated – Gary (TRG)

I have Neem Oil, Peppermint Oil, Sprayers, Seeds and so much more at my shop…Please check out my Seed & Garden Shop for your gardening needs at http://www.therustedgarden.comRead more Show less

35. Mark Pletcher on April 29, 2021 at 1:16 am

Quick Question for anyone that knows the answer!
    I just started my seeds indoors and using the 18 hours of light on 6 off right now.
    I know to water from the bottom, but I don’t know when?
    Is it better to water when the lights turn off?
    Or right before the lights turn on?
    Or something else? lol Thanks for the help!

36. Emma Brown on April 29, 2021 at 1:19 am

I’m currently in quarantine in Las Vegas NV. And all the gardening success that I have done so far is thanks to you. Sincerely Emma Brown!

37. Jackie Nicholson on April 29, 2021 at 1:20 am

Gardening is about to take off again. Please update your shop and seeds.

38. Love & other Plants on April 29, 2021 at 1:22 am

What a smart man! Thank you 😊

39. Renee Smith on April 29, 2021 at 1:25 am

😊

40. Cat Pil on April 29, 2021 at 1:27 am

Watching this 4/3/2021 10:56 pm Calgary, AB🇨🇦 Thanks you so much, very informative🙂

41. Relaxation Media on April 29, 2021 at 1:28 am

Fookin ads 🤬

42. Belinda Roy on April 29, 2021 at 1:30 am

This video is soooo helpful!!!! Thank you

43. Samya Sycrets on April 29, 2021 at 1:30 am

karmom.projesão. 🗽agro cabios de sementes. telas 🚀carros. Solar. Aerio. Inércia. 😜Maquete paineis. Termico crimatico solar. casa 3D. Futura politica liberação e . Limpeza meio ambiente Eptima já investimentos-pre político 2021 tecnologia máquina Grafeno 3D. Karmom Grupo fé 😍🎄👨‍👩‍👧‍👦🎁🌏🏡🚀 Projetos sociais grupo fé direito educacional carro. Inecia aerio cimulador codernasão motora canbio de sementes 2021 sim lançamento de cartões anti-crimes. sensor social. liberação das maconha drogas hospitala. injetáveis ​​e oral porque. os vírus. HIV. se. combate com três tipos de drogas são misturados em um anpolar. ampicilina 🙊 +2 tipo de drogas. se mistura tudo e agro. e os pais mais revoluídos. são. liberados. as. drogas. e quem. ganha. e so. O. produto. traficantes. não pagam imposto investimento.au. impostos. a sociedade a projetos. sociais 😤 pré-ve karmom futuro técnico político o produtor na pode. ganha o ivestimento só destinado inposto projeto sócias e benefícios a sociedade karmom 😍🌻🌻🌻🌻👨‍👩‍👧‍👦👨‍👩‍👧‍👦👨‍👩‍👧‍👦👬👬👫👫👭👭🏡🏡🏡⛸🎾🏐👯‍♀️👯‍ ♀️‍ 👏👏 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

44. Khadija Kadri on April 29, 2021 at 1:31 am

Thank you so much. It was very informative.

45. Elisa Guzman on April 29, 2021 at 1:31 am

Oh my goodness THANK YOU for your video! I was sad because i had to spend extra for lighting BUT when i seen you had shop lights, i was excited. I have two in hand. Thank you thank you thank you

46. Dat TeslaTho on April 29, 2021 at 1:31 am

Plug at the end that is the proper way to do it! Subscribed

47. Dusk Moss on April 29, 2021 at 1:32 am

Technically everything that is living and not bacteria is gmo

48. Majime on April 29, 2021 at 1:32 am

thank you, i bought some tomatoes. I grow and propagate basil where I work since I’m a chef and fresh basil wilts quickly after being picked

49. Charlotte Nunnery on April 29, 2021 at 1:34 am

Gary, your videos are always so informative and extremely helpful. Thank you for sharing!

50. Joleena Nance on April 29, 2021 at 1:35 am