How to Plant Fruit Trees for MAXIMUM Growth and Harvest

Late winter and early spring are the best time to plant fruit trees and bushes. In this video, I’m showing you how to plant a bare root fruit tree, plus what to look for when choosing your tree, and how to properly care for, fertilize, and water your tree once it’s planted.

Visit my blog post where I share even more tips, including orchard planning strategies for growing a variety of fruit trees (plus my tips on what trees to grow in small spaces): https://melissaknorris.com/whenandhowtoplantfruittrees/

**********************
Listen in to the top #10 rated Pioneering Today Podcast for Home & Garden for Simple Modern Homesteading Tips https://melissaknorris.com/podcast-2/

**********************
My Books:

The Family Garden Planner: http://melissaknorris.com/planner
The Family Garden Plan: http://familygardenplan.com/
Hand Made 100+ From Scratch Recipes: http://handmadethebook.com/
The Made-from-Scratch Life: http://madefromscratchlife.com/

**********************
Howdy! I’m so glad you’re here. I’m Melissa from Pioneering Today and a 5th generation homesteader where I’m doing my best to hold onto the old traditions in a modern world and share them with others.

Click any of the below links for FREE resources and training to help you on your homestead!

Homemade Sourdough Starter Series https://melissaknorris.com/learnsourdough

How to Pressure Can Series https://melissaknorris.com/pressurecanning

Beginners Home Canning Safety https://melissaknorris.com/canningclass

For raising, cooking, and preserving your own food, come hang out with me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/melissaknorris/
and Facebook https://www.facebook.com/melissaknorris/

**********
#plantingfruittrees #fruittrees #bareroottrees

1. robert satterlee on April 30, 2021 at 12:35 am

Try planting a fruit tree using the E.G.W. Blueprint tree planting method !
    20 times more growth, within 3 years, by weight ! And earlier flowering !

2. mike mcpherson on April 30, 2021 at 12:36 am

Awesome

3. iknowlinda on April 30, 2021 at 12:37 am

I just received both, a self-pollinating peach and cherry tree from Fedco trees that I plan to put in the ground this weekend. I live in southern Maine. I found your video really helpful, I’m going to check out more. Thanks so much.

4. Rob Jager on April 30, 2021 at 12:38 am

Melissa is definitely wife material there’s definitely a lucky man out there

5. The Orange Tree Homestead on April 30, 2021 at 12:39 am

Remember to only bury the trunk to just past the root crown. I buried one of mine too low and we got a little bit of trunk rot.

6. Jason beard on April 30, 2021 at 12:43 am

I am not sure if you know what you are doing..l

7. Έξυπνο αγρόκτημα on April 30, 2021 at 12:45 am

Very useful information!!!

8. Aditya Panwar on April 30, 2021 at 12:46 am

Hello madam
    Good morning
    This is Aditya Panwar from India

9. Cream of the Crop on April 30, 2021 at 12:46 am

I use to live in the Pacific Northwest my husband was in the military so we were at Fort Lewis….beautiful place

10. HarrisonCountyStudio on April 30, 2021 at 12:47 am

Love the video. Ya know what else will keep deer away? A couple of black labs.-lol Since we “inherited” the pair, deer have become scare in our neck of the woods.

11. Grafting Tactick on April 30, 2021 at 12:48 am

Great video, very informative, Thanks for sharing👍

12. DrScottBland - Free Health Information on April 30, 2021 at 12:48 am

I’m moving more rural this summer and cannot wait to put in some trees! I also really appreciate you showing the actual work involved and not just talking about it. Thank you ma’am!

13. Stefan Taylor on April 30, 2021 at 12:51 am

Hello! I’m new, thanks for posting cool videos! I grew up in SE Alaska would these technique apply to me?
    Sincerely, Future Homesteader.

14. Pixel Pete on April 30, 2021 at 12:52 am

try a fence

15. samuel ssenkolooto on April 30, 2021 at 12:54 am

Can you plant apples by stem cutting?

16. Marina Kuchma on April 30, 2021 at 12:55 am

Thank you for a great video. Very informative! We are going to plant today!

17. Lisa Martinez on April 30, 2021 at 12:55 am

Tulle is the best and most cost effective💐😊. Thank you for sharing🙂

18. Cream of the Crop on April 30, 2021 at 12:57 am

I’ve heard male urine keeps deer away 🤷🏽‍♀️

19. Beckey Girard on April 30, 2021 at 12:58 am

I love Your videos. Even though I live in Florida I always get "some" information that I can use! God Bless

20. Gbcue on April 30, 2021 at 12:59 am

Do you stake them? If so, how long?

21. Brian Wood on April 30, 2021 at 1:00 am

The way you jump on the shovel is cute

22. Joseph Winter on April 30, 2021 at 1:01 am

Information rich! Thank you for being you!

23. Mus Sim on April 30, 2021 at 1:01 am

Awesome video and awesome farm! I just love it! Keep more coming please! Thank you!

24. Get planted on April 30, 2021 at 1:02 am

Everybody always says don’t amend the hole with anything but I’ve been doing it for years with zero poblem, in fact the trees that I experimented with and didn’t amend at planting grew a lot slower and were less vigorous than the trees that I did amend AND I’ve had to dig up a few trees after 1 year and another one after 2 years and neither of them had roots wrapping around in the hole, they both had nice large root systems spreading outside the hole.

Just fyi, because we all here this stuff and take it as absolute truth and we pass it along to everybody else not even knowing it it’s true or not. There are too many amateur gardeners and hoemsteaders making YouTube videos acting and teaching like they’re professionals but in reality they just watch a bunch of YouTube.

25. Akademik Tarım on April 30, 2021 at 1:02 am

26. Hawk270 Leadflinger on April 30, 2021 at 1:02 am

I just didn’t see anything spectacular here. Dug hole, stick tree in ground, done!

27. Alice Estrada on April 30, 2021 at 1:04 am

My yard has clay soil 12 inches below top soil. 6 yrs after plant peach tree, no growth, no nee bran hed, very few leave and a few peaches. Very delicious and not diseases. What is going on? Transplant but found clay there too. Can I move ir again. In april.

28. GG&T on April 30, 2021 at 1:04 am

THE TREE IS 2 INCHES TOO LOW!!
    when the soil levels you will bury the graft!

29. Claudia Villacorta on April 30, 2021 at 1:05 am

Thank you for all the information on trees. I am also in the PNW ID and we are getting ready to plant our first pear tree this spring 🙂

30. Bill on April 30, 2021 at 1:05 am

Thanks Melissa! This was very helpful.

I just received 2 of my 3 orders. Will be planting 20+ trees/bushes tomorrow.

31. Hans Wurst on April 30, 2021 at 1:07 am

Nearly no roots on the young tree, bad quality tree with little chance to survive.

32. Anon Anon on April 30, 2021 at 1:08 am

@Melissa K Norris Your husband is blessed to have such hardworking, motivated, intelligent and beautiful wife.

33. Paul Braga on April 30, 2021 at 1:09 am

sorry, intended this one – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu8KrP6U9fw

34. Spotty Creek Farm on April 30, 2021 at 1:10 am

Write video! Very timely. We just got 8 fruit trees in to expand our orchard.

35. wudangmtn on April 30, 2021 at 1:12 am

Good tips, thanks for the video. I wonder if getting a hyena will keep the deer away?

36. HIVOLCO on April 30, 2021 at 1:13 am

Happy to have found your channel as I am in the PNW and most channels I watch are in the East… so different climate zones. Also I just purchased a bunch of bareroot Apple trees and was looking for some advice… THANK YOU!!! 😀

37. Conspiracy fifteen sixteenth on April 30, 2021 at 1:16 am

Love fruit tree’s.. Cool Video!

38. julio song on April 30, 2021 at 1:17 am

Melissa thank you for sharing, the description is very detailed, you let me learn how to grow fruit trees. thanks again🙏

39. Jedad Ruled on April 30, 2021 at 1:17 am

Here in France they say to dig a big hole and put a dead sheep in, and plant the tree above.

40. Wim's Mill on April 30, 2021 at 1:17 am

Pro tip: Use a piece of plywood to shovel the dirt on. Makes it easy to shovel everything back in.

41. T on April 30, 2021 at 1:18 am

👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽😉

42. verim on April 30, 2021 at 1:18 am

Procedure is OK, but your fruit plant is bad quality. See the root system 🙁 . When fruit is grafted on a rootstock raised from cuttings it is low quality – good for quick plant prodaction but bad for health of the plang, rootstock grown from seeds are much better and more resilient.

43. Dennis B. on April 30, 2021 at 1:22 am

Really nice tree ! Does your nursery have mail order ?

44. Moonshine Pond Farmstead on April 30, 2021 at 1:22 am

Melissa, I just found you on the web looking for knowledge on Fruit Trees & berry bushes! I was listening to your Podcast.
    I’m thrilled you have a U Tube channel And Most of all that your a believer in Christ. Yeah! I’m subscribed! 😊✝️🙏❤️🐾

45. zane sutherland on April 30, 2021 at 1:23 am

Very informative video!

46. Susan Highfield on April 30, 2021 at 1:24 am

Put a banana peel in the hole before you put the tree in. It nourishes the tree for a good start.

47. Sibel B on April 30, 2021 at 1:25 am

We like to dig a deep hole, about 2’x2′. Lots of dirt comes out of the hole. At the bottom of the hole, the sod is thrown in upside down and broken into clumps. It will slowly compost. Then we add the lighter soil that was nearer the surface when we were digging. We have to backfill a bit before we can then put in the tree. Then we keep filling with the lighter soil until roots are covered, and we end the backfilling process with the heavier clayish soil that came out of the bottom of the hole. That way the roots have an easier medium to expand through, and the heavier soil on the top helps to conserve moisture. That was the advice that came with our first trees from St. Lawrence Nursery and we’ve just stuck to it. 🙂

48. Paul Braga on April 30, 2021 at 1:28 am

nothing compares to this method – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV7k64xcZro – blessings to all

49. Russell Westbrook and Gus Malzahn Fan since 2010 on April 30, 2021 at 1:30 am

I would’ve shot the deer.

50. hydniq on April 30, 2021 at 1:32 am

You are just a joy to watch and good imfo too. I just bought 4 apple trees.