Starting A Soft Fruit Bed – UK Allotment Garden

The soft fruit bed is well and truly underway, and I’m excited to see it grow and mature over the coming years.

Here are links to all the channels I mention in this video. Special thanks to Alan of The Dawn Chorus Plot for being so kind in sending my new additions to the fruit bed.

Alan’s channel The Dawn Chorus Plot – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfNPeALHlOPc_KXkWeV_XhQ

Terry King Allotment Gardening On A Budget – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOi_1icnBJc-DyrWzW8X9EA

Woody at Cumbrian Homestead – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbGHwLzezuzD7o9mGI4rJkg

As always, take care and thanks for watching!

Follow me on Instagram to see what I get up to between uploads 🙂
@kellys_kitchen_garden

All music supplied courtesy of the YouTube archives.

#ukallotment #softfruit #growyourownfood

1. Denise falusi on May 1, 2021 at 12:35 am

Looks great Kelly, we’re still under lots of snow, so I’m really chomping at the bit watching all you guys doing stuff already.
    Have a great week x

2. Scott Head on May 1, 2021 at 12:37 am

Love the strawberries! The spread will be beneficial.

3. Julia's Gardening Diary on May 1, 2021 at 12:39 am

Wow, Kelly your garden has changed so much over the winter, you have worked really hard, well done. I am looking forward to seeing it fill up with lovely edibles and flowers over the summer 🙂

4. Digwell Greenfingers on May 1, 2021 at 12:41 am

Nice one Kelly! I just want to get on with mine now grrrrr!

5. William Coleman's Garden and Allotment on May 1, 2021 at 12:41 am

I cut a bunch of gooseberries and blackcurrants a couple of years ago and stuck ’em in some pots. I got far too many new gooseberries in the end and not so many blackcurrants, you have to ask yourself though how many you need I suppose. You’ll enjoy the new fruit area. The pine needles you are adding later will make a great mulch. 🙂 🍺

6. Ronald Shaw's - Car Park Growing Area on May 1, 2021 at 12:41 am

Hi Kel, It’s all coming together very nicely and it all looks fantastic, Catch on your next Kel, Take care.

7. Bristol Veggie Beds on May 1, 2021 at 12:43 am

I need to re do my strawberry patch! I think I’ll follow your example and get some that fruit at different times 🙂 I hope everything survives the storm on Sunday!

8. What I grow, NL allotment on May 1, 2021 at 12:43 am

Hello Kelly, love that fruit patch, you will enjoy that later on! And the rhubarb in its own bed, well done. All looks tidy. I hope the cuttings will grow well too. Stay save and have a nice weekend, cooking 💚👩🏻‍🌾🍀

9. Marie Currie on May 1, 2021 at 12:47 am

The garden looks spectacular Kelly! You’re an inspiration 😎🌱🍓👍

10. Terry King's Allotment Gardening On A Budget on May 1, 2021 at 12:47 am

Hello Kelly, its a bit windy out here at the moment, waiting for my next call out. In my personal opinion the cutting may be too long, I leave about 6 inches above ground level, the cutting will use all the sap in the cutting to get as many buds growing as possible which may and only may not encourage it to form roots. Your growing space is a credit to your hard work. Stay safe my friend.

♻️Happy Gardening……..Terry King.

11. Gisellehere on May 1, 2021 at 12:48 am

Looking great Kelly

12. David's Allotment on May 1, 2021 at 12:50 am

Great video and hopefully all the fruit plants will survive the windy weather that is going to happen in the next few days. I haven’t planted any plants yet because I plan to do so later in the Month.

13. Becky's allotment on May 1, 2021 at 12:50 am

Hi Kelly
    That’s a spiky gooseberry. Those strawberries look amazing. Nice one Alan. The soft fruit bed looks fantastic and everything will have plenty of room to grow. The colour of the bark on your one blueberry plant is gorgeous.
    Take care
    Becky

14. Wildlife Garden Antics on May 1, 2021 at 12:52 am

The veg garden is looking amazing! You’ve worked so hard in such a short time. Truly inspirational 🙂

15. Peanuts Peppers on May 1, 2021 at 12:54 am

Great video as always.

16. Cumbrian Homestead on May 1, 2021 at 12:54 am

It’s all looking great Kel, the bushes will thrive in that bed.
    Yes, you can grow cordon red currants.
    If you can wait, take some 18" long cuttings this autumn. Rub of the bottom buds over about a foot. Once it roots, identify a leader and pinch back side shoots in summer and then to 2 buds in winter. Do this until it reaches the height you want.
    Hope that helps.
    Woody 👍👍

17. Sow Enchanted Irish Kitchen Garden & Allotment on May 1, 2021 at 12:57 am

Looks amazing 💚

18. Benni L on May 1, 2021 at 12:57 am

Nice strawberry plants, so nice of Alan.
    You’re going to harvest lovely soft fruit this year, Kelly.
    Well done.
    Best wishes.

19. Joanne Barlow on May 1, 2021 at 12:57 am

Nice work 👍. I can’t believe how many growing beds you’ve created over the last year ~. Fantastic work. Well done!!!

20. Joyce Hennequin on May 1, 2021 at 12:58 am

Wow Kelly your vegetable / fruit plots are looking fantastic,nice and tidy,that’s how l like to keep mine.Looks like your going to be kept busy as it’s quite a size 👌 lve been busy converting my allotment to raised beds and no dig beds,got a third done and ready to get sowing the rest will come in time.lts an expensive job filling in the raised beds but lve managed to get a very good deal on 18 50ltr bags of compost so that’s a start eh.All the very best 🌱🌱🌱

21. Tunnel vision garden. on May 1, 2021 at 12:59 am

Where did you get the netting from for the strawberries?

22. Bill & Val's Allotment's on May 1, 2021 at 1:02 am

Hi Kelly fruit beds are looking marvelous as is whole plot now , you should be very proud as should your family providing them with the freshest produce they can get . All the best Bill and Val

23. Old Redding Farm on May 1, 2021 at 1:03 am

Everything looks really good !! I ABSOLUTELY love your intro its so nicely shot !! Those little row covers are so sweet and perfect!

24. Rocco Conte on May 1, 2021 at 1:04 am

Nice job Kelly , everything looks like its going to be off to a great start, glad i found your channel look forward to next video, good luck with all.

25. Gone Potty Gardening on May 1, 2021 at 1:15 am

Great job Kelly will look fab when they are all established😀🙋🏻‍♀️

26. A little dirt never hurt on May 1, 2021 at 1:16 am

I planted 30+ strawberries last year…hoping for good things! So excited about your fruit area, gonna be awesome!! Stay safe my friend:))

27. Essayons Family Garden on May 1, 2021 at 1:19 am

Looks great Kelly! I’ll have to check our strawberry beds this weekend and our blueberries.
    Have a great rest of the weekend.
    Rob

28. Mary Ann Isaksen on May 1, 2021 at 1:21 am

It’s looking great out there! Everything is so neat and tidy. You should be very proud.

Can’t wait to see it all growing beautifully for you this season.

29. Bethan's Kitchen & Garden on May 1, 2021 at 1:21 am

Looking great Kelly, I would have been tempted to put two rhubarb crowns in that bed to give you the option of forcing them in alternate years but I do cram more in than I should 🥴😂. Everything is looking neat and tidy. Take care, Bethan 😊

30. Lorraine Owen on May 1, 2021 at 1:22 am

Your kitchen garden is growing lovely! You are doing amazing ☺️ your hard work is paying off for sure!

31. allotment life on May 1, 2021 at 1:22 am

rabbits? i love a rabbit pie. get the shot gun handy, kelly. only shoot the ones with a hubch on their backs. good for keeping the pie crust up. lol……………………brian

32. Pople BackyardFarm on May 1, 2021 at 1:23 am

Sounds like a wonderful plan. New friend Ruthie

33. Tony's Gardens & Gizmo’s on May 1, 2021 at 1:25 am

Looking fab Kelly! Brambles strangled my blueberries last year, so this year will be a re plant once i’ve taken care of the brambles.

34. Anna Kozlowski on May 1, 2021 at 1:28 am

Looks so neat and tidy can’t wait to see the harvest and what you will make with the fruit🌱💞Thanks Kelly

35. ggwildlife on May 1, 2021 at 1:28 am

excellent update looking to see how the new soft fruit bed matures.

36. The Little Farmers Farm on May 1, 2021 at 1:28 am

Hello!!
    Nice to see a gloved "Tickly" Hand in full use here Kel. If anyone will know it’s woody and Terry.
    Alans done you proud here as well chick, looked like RAPUNSEL those roots… Once caged, that bed will be awesome for soft fruits… Love IT!!! … Loving that Trench Idea too, makes sense to me mate. 🙂

37. The dawn chorus Plot on May 1, 2021 at 1:29 am

Hello Kelly, I hope the strawberries do well for you, you’ve certainly given them the best start possible, I’ve been checking back on my records and I’m pretty sure, the early ones are called “vibrant” and the main/mid season are called “Marshmello” all your plans are coming together nicely. In the short time you have been there you have come so far and done so much, so looking forward to seeing your progress in this new season , many thanks for sharing, kind regards

alan🌿………….THE DAWN CHORUS PLOT

38. Tamara Siegrist on May 1, 2021 at 1:34 am

New sub. Hi Kelly, your garden is amazing, looking forward to a lot of harvesting videos.