Lessons for Beginner Gardeners (9 Tips)

Good gardening practices work well for seasoned gardeners and new gardeners alike. These effective methods in the garden serve as good lessons for beginner gardeners. Gardener Scott discusses nine good gardening practices to help develop gardening success. (video #162)

#EverythingGardening #GardenerScott

Click this link to SUBSCRIBE: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWsI0LmiDyezbnN2JCL4P9w?view_as=subscriber?sub_confirmation=1

You can get Gardener Scott merchandise at the Gardener Scott Store: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWsI0LmiDyezbnN2JCL4P9w/store

To order a GreenStalk vertical garden system, click on this affiliate link:
Use code”GARDENERSCOTT” for a $10 discount.

You can help support the GardenerScott channel in five ways that won’t cost you anything extra:

1.) Be part of the community by liking videos, subscribing, clicking the bell, commenting, and sharing.

2.) Watch the ads whenever you can. It just takes a few seconds and helps me a lot.

3.) If you use Amazon and want to buy anything at all, click through with this link: http://www.amazon.com/?tag=gardenerscott-20

4) Check out Gardener Scott’s Recommended Gardening Books at: https://bookshop.org/shop/gardenerscott

5) Click on this affiliate link to get Audible books that you can listen to in the garden: https://amzn.to/2Z0pse4

Your support helps me pay for plants, gardening supplies, and all of the other costs associated with running a YouTube channel.

Thank you for your support!

Links included in this description and referenced in videos might be affiliate links. If you purchase a product or service with the links I provide, I may receive a small commission. There is no additional charge to you for those affiliate links and your support allows me to provide free content every week on the Gardener Scott channel. Thank you!

1. swishpronoob on May 2, 2021 at 12:45 am

I just want to build a garden and be surrounded by birds and insects.

2. Vicky Belmont on May 2, 2021 at 12:47 am

Thank you Scott awesome I’m a beginner and a lot to learn it is a pure gold to me thank you

3. Mike Stephens on May 2, 2021 at 12:48 am

Found it very enjoyable to listen to your tips and information. Subscribed! Now to watch more of your videos and see what other wisdom you have to share. Im growing in Arizona with my first greenhouse and it’s been difficult to find tips and information about growing when the temps hit 120 degrees deep in the summer and i worry about fighting extra heat now that I’ll be using a greenhouse so I’m looking for all the information i can to help.

4. Gardener Scott on May 2, 2021 at 12:50 am

For more videos for beginner gardeners, check out this playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL812xhuxJacluZ_doK0PVCmmL9aExw7AK

5. Lad Bol on May 2, 2021 at 12:50 am

Information around 13:13-16 seems to be contrary to what was said at the beginning about square foot planting. Can you clarify please? Thanks!

6. Lisa Devolder on May 2, 2021 at 12:51 am

Do you have a planting map for compatible plants for watering ?

7. C M on May 2, 2021 at 12:51 am

Thank you for such informative videos! I’m a brand new gardener. And your videos have helped so much!

8. Andrew Putter on May 2, 2021 at 12:52 am

Thank you! That was so useful and accessible!

9. Ariel Miller on May 2, 2021 at 12:52 am

I started my first garden yesterday and I dug straight into the ground. As I was removing the sod I came upon a LOT of grubs. How can I get rid of them?

10. april Keene on May 2, 2021 at 12:53 am

Hi, I have terrible demon gophers that have even got into my raised beds with hardware cloth underneath. Do you have a favorite gopher remedies?

11. Nikki Magill on May 2, 2021 at 12:55 am

Hi I plant water bottles into the ground next to thirsty plants like tomatoes, which I have drilled small holes into which allows water to slowly seep out of. It also protects their leaves.

12. darkmistico on May 2, 2021 at 12:55 am

you look like the old ghost rider in the ghost rider movie with nicolas cage

13. Hudson on May 2, 2021 at 12:58 am

Thank you.

14. Charles Stromme on May 2, 2021 at 1:00 am

I only discovered and subscribed to you today. I’m a very senior citizen and I love my garden but I don’t really know what to do out there. You’re making it so much better to be out there. Thank you.

15. renae stauder on May 2, 2021 at 1:01 am

Always learning new things for gardening. So even if it says for beginners I still watch. I also forget to harvest, then the birds or mr. Groundhog may get it before me. So this year, when I’m done in the garden I’ll write myself a note on put on the calendar of better yet a note on the fridge. Yeah right, if I remind myself to do that. But, going to try. New job, I work earlier so can get out to my garden after work.

16. Joseph Castellanos on May 2, 2021 at 1:02 am

Very helpful!

17. Jackie Smith on May 2, 2021 at 1:06 am

I used to pull all the weeds, thought I was doing my crops a favor. But in reality I was taking food away from the microbes. Now i cut the tops off and leave the root to rot in the soil, creating humus. I remember when I was a kid my dad always had an acre garden and he mulched the entire garden with leaves in the fall and then around plants in the spring. He would go through the garden and cut the weeds off just below soil surface and leave the biomass on the surface. After many years of weeding I now understand the importance of leaving the root to decay. The same holds for end of season crops. Why pull up the tomato plant when it has established a community of microbes? Pull it up and they don’t have anything to eat all winter. I’d like to hear your take on cover crops.

You have a great video here. I’m just adding the mistakes I’ve made over time. Don’t we all?

18. Michael McCormick on May 2, 2021 at 1:06 am

I just put in a cinder block raised bed. It is a single level. What plants will need a two cinder block height? I m planning on strawberry’s, tomatoes and squash. Thnanks

19. pinleg ouchin on May 2, 2021 at 1:06 am

And in the end It was the flowers. What can I do to identify the plan? I don’t like weeds so I keep up with them. I even put markers were I planted the seeds

20. Betsy Miller on May 2, 2021 at 1:07 am

Your videos are a major reference for me and of great educational value as you are such a patient good teacher. Sometimes wish for even more details like „gardening for dummies style“. Thankyou! Music‘s great too.

21. Glue Guns & Roses on May 2, 2021 at 1:07 am

I don’t use labels anymore. I use colored straws. I keep the name or the seed pack with marked with the same color in a container inside. This has helped me a lot especially when I find a new type of veggie I like I can purchase the same seeds the next year.

22. Alec Ferguson on May 2, 2021 at 1:09 am

Gardener Scott, you are like the Bob Ross of gardening. Thank you for these awesome videos! They help me so much!

23. Abroo Chudary on May 2, 2021 at 1:11 am

Nice

24. Douglas Rex on May 2, 2021 at 1:11 am

Even moles?

25. cWeeks1992 on May 2, 2021 at 1:13 am

Such a pleasant guy. Nice to watch – and I’m not even sure I want to garden!

26. Sean on May 2, 2021 at 1:13 am

Encourage rabbits? They even ate the irish soap I put around the garden. They ate my tulips and other vegtables.

27. Kristine Bell on May 2, 2021 at 1:14 am

What is best soil to buy? I had blight from one type.

28. Mich61 Smi on May 2, 2021 at 1:14 am

Thank you for your video it was very informative and I like to walk my garden everyday and see everything about. I’m a newbie and I don’t know a lot but I’m falling in love with gardening. I learned much from this video and tomorrow I’m looking for more mulch. Thank you again.

29. Jannalou Faith Larong on May 2, 2021 at 1:15 am

Harley Quinn bugs

30. Martin Ondok on May 2, 2021 at 1:15 am

Your videos are great and I`m glad I have found your channel and thank you for explaining everything so accurately! I appreciate it a lot!
    Here I have some questions because I started a little kitchen garden so we can grow our vegetables. The first question is about the birds…as you said it is good to attract birds and insects…then I gathered the birds are there to eat those insects. Can you give more clarifications on this, please? Secondly, I am happy that the birds are not here because previously they damaged all the 8 tomato plants that I`ve had. In just 3 days there was nothing left of the plants. Even the stems were eaten. There was not even a trace left of any of the 8 plants. I`m trying to avoid birds. Are birds very necessary to have in your garden for any reason?

Also bell peppers: I don`t know why but my bell peppers drop the flowers before they would open up properly. They are not fully open and they fall. All of them. Any idea what the reason is?

The red kidney beans are not doing well either. The bush grows well but the beans are small and only very few tubes are there to harvest. I`ve tried many fertilizers but no change.

And finally, do you have any videos how to make compost and organic fertilizers, sir?:)

Sorry for the long comment and thank you for your time reading it 🙂

31. Nanna Carlstedt on May 2, 2021 at 1:16 am

Last summer I harvested a cup or two of ripe rasberries every other day and ate it as dessert in the evening; perfect! I kept pace with the plants!

32. Shannon Hamilton on May 2, 2021 at 1:16 am

Pruning! I spent time nearly every day last year pinching suckers off of my tomato plants, and they still got overgrown with too many branches. My harvest was still excellent, though, with loads of beautiful fruit.

33. Tosca Tattertail on May 2, 2021 at 1:16 am

i never had to worry about bugs… squirrels and rabbits yes.. bugs no

34. Wayne McDonald on May 2, 2021 at 1:17 am

So much good information for a beginning gardener like my self.

35. Frances Henderson on May 2, 2021 at 1:19 am

Thank you so much for this video and all your information

36. Austin DeLorenzo on May 2, 2021 at 1:19 am

I agree with everything but have to say birds will entirely ignore the bird houses/boxes and go for the trees. At most they’d fly in it a few times, but they really prefer what they have been doing for millions of years. Maybe it works for some of you, it may be regional.

37. Samantha Shelton on May 2, 2021 at 1:20 am

😂 8% humidity lol sorry I live in South Mississippi. We love it when the humidity drops below 50% for a change 😊

38. Bethany Davis on May 2, 2021 at 1:20 am

What about the invasive species bugs that you don’t have predators to go after?

39. J Hart on May 2, 2021 at 1:21 am

Am I supposed to wait until my vegetables poke through the soil before mulching, or can I throw my mulch down and expect them to sprout through? Also, are there any I should start now (tomatoes for example) in my house since I live in Wisconsin? Might still be snowing through late April. Thanks Scott.

40. Veronica Curran on May 2, 2021 at 1:21 am

Hi Gardner Scott. I had an amazing first garden last year without any knowledge. I didn’t prepare my soil for winter and I am wondering how I can amend my soil in spring after a long, cold, NJ winter? I now realize I should have mulched it in the fall. Thank you!!

41. Sylvie Laflamme on May 2, 2021 at 1:22 am

Great video! Thank you! I have learned a lot from it!

42. Cameron Johnston on May 2, 2021 at 1:25 am

Good videos! Very informative. Scott, you said you are in Colorado. With 8% humidity I am assuming you are in the high altitudes. How much snow do you get? And what is the native soil like there? Any tips for amending the soil when it is "crap" to begin with (i.e. clay and gravel). I am interested in growing flowers rather than veggies. Keep the videos coming. Cheers!

43. Bill Mack on May 2, 2021 at 1:26 am

Great video Scott, lots of wonderful information and insight. Cheers friend.

44. pinleg ouchin on May 2, 2021 at 1:31 am

Last yr I planted different flowers to attract butterflies and hummingbirds.
    The problem I have is on the pack I really couldn’t see what the foliage looked like’ so all summer long, I thinking Iam pulling weeds pulling weeds, tha
    Replanting

45. Kathy Driscoll on May 2, 2021 at 1:31 am

I live in Kentucky. I have no problem growing my strawberries… But the ants keep getting to the best ones.. help on protecting against ants please

46. Christina Dyken on May 2, 2021 at 1:33 am

Hi! Could you please advise me on whether or not to use pressure treated wood for my raised beds for the vegetable garden… thank you!

47. Maria D. Escoto on May 2, 2021 at 1:35 am

I have too much clay in my soil. So, this year I will try a raised bed. Thank goodness I subscribed because I m going to try your free s oil idea!! Ty

48. Lahonda Zacatecas on May 2, 2021 at 1:35 am

Any ideas of how too get rid of ants ?

49. elias liloy on May 2, 2021 at 1:36 am

He’s like the Bob Ross of gardening.

50. Greg Akinson on May 2, 2021 at 1:40 am

Good video again and I am subscribed. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and experience! I am just starting gardening again after many years off (recently retired) and really need good advice like this. God Bless ya.