DIY unheated greenhouse grows food year-round in Upstate NY

My wife and I wanted to grow food all winter long without using any heat source. We researched for about 6 months before we started building. This video talks about the process of building and all the things I wish I knew before I started.
I wrote a long article about the process in my blog as well which can be found here

1. Mathew Pennington on May 3, 2021 at 12:44 am

Really cool bro, thanks for sharing I’m thinking your setup is how I’m going to got.

2. Dan Pieterse on May 3, 2021 at 12:47 am

Impressive project. I’m in agreement on the music.

3. Braelynn Appleby on May 3, 2021 at 12:59 am

i’m so glad i found this!! living in upstate NY i was afraid i would have to let my food bearing plants die and move everything into my house. and it is someone who deals with upstate’s weather. it gets so cold!!

4. o0Avalon0o on May 3, 2021 at 1:03 am

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience!

5. Drake Dorosh on May 3, 2021 at 1:04 am

In the eight minute I realized there was music playing in the background. Too bad about that.

6. Nick Guthrie on May 3, 2021 at 1:04 am

On Vancouver Island we have much cloud and rain in winter and shoulder seasons. In the 4 months straddling New Year’s we average only 2 hours per day of clear sun. Like you I had barrels of water. A big problem is that if the sky is cloudy all day, your barrels add verrrry little heat, so for the following night you are storing only ‘coolth’. We often have a week of full time cloudiness. Your local met office should be able to give you data for all 12 months. I enjoyed your chat and relate a lot to it. Thanks

7. Fred Frond on May 3, 2021 at 1:07 am

Wow food for the year for $4000. The cost of a couple of electric bicycles.👍

8. JoAnn Arizona on May 3, 2021 at 1:12 am

Hi There, I do have to spend the time and about the process in your blog.. but in a nutshell .. is the barrels of water actually what is heating the greenhouse? Thanks for sharing a nice video. 🙂

9. Ricky Hursey on May 3, 2021 at 1:13 am

Good video, just can’t here you.

10. Turre Tuntematon on May 3, 2021 at 1:15 am

Great idea. The music is distracting though, not needed.

11. Eileen Kaleel on May 3, 2021 at 1:15 am

where are you located? Upstate (closer to NYC, or North Country (closer to Canada)?

12. Balloon Animal on May 3, 2021 at 1:24 am

Unheated and then he shows a propane heater in his greenhouse

13. Anne Louis on May 3, 2021 at 1:28 am

Your soil has to much nitrogen where the carrots are growing. that’s why their hairy!

14. Curt's Clocks - The Atmos Repair Specialist on May 3, 2021 at 1:30 am

Propane and natural gas actually burn clean, no carbon monoxide. They can burn up all the oxygen, but the closure would have to be very air tight.

15. all69anna on May 3, 2021 at 1:31 am

Very interested in your greenhouse, and your project in general – but the repetitive video game music will stop me from watching more… I hope this was a one-off experiment.

I recommend covering your mic with something soft/fluffy – even a sock will help – to cut the wind noise.

16. IAM NYCAPPLE on May 3, 2021 at 1:32 am

Loving Just bought greenhouse at my house long island Ny with @Amazon.com FOR $88 GOT 2 DRUMS FULL RAIN WATER ! #LETSGROWXO

17. Jawahar E on May 3, 2021 at 1:33 am

Did you guys have to submit a building permit for the greenhouse? wanting to build one myself.

18. CasaDe PANDA on May 3, 2021 at 1:42 am

This is really awesome! Where did you get all those 55g drums? I’m looking at building a simple greenhouse, however yours is inspiring me to possibly implement some of these ideas. Also, have you considered painting the drums black to absorb more heat? Also, perhaps a simple cheap "hack" I seen was to simply take some rolls of clear bubble wrap and add a layer of that to the inside of all the windows as a means of improving your thermal rating for all your windows and solex. I was thinking to myself, (jokingly) this isn’t a greenhouse, it’s a spa! I would love to see more videos on this.