How Our Winter Garden Survived -23°F (-31°C) With No Heat

How Our Winter Garden Survived -23°F (-31°C) With No Heat

Please join me for an update on our winter garden after a week of subzero temperatures and a low of -23°F (-31°C).

If you shop on Amazon, you can support OYR simply by clicking this link (bookmark it too) before shopping: http://www.amazon.com/?tag=oneya-20

Agribon Row Cover: http://amzn.to/2meQI4a

Highlights:
0:22 How we protected plants from the cold
0:22 Didn’t remove snow from north wall and bottom of hoop house
0:50 Covered outside and inside of door with 6 mil greenhouse film
1:52 Why I did not use supplemental heat
2:23 Covered cold frame and low tunnels with 2 extra layers of 6 mil greenhouse film (5 layers of cover total)
3:42 Temperatures outside versus hoop house
4:34 How did the plants hold up to the extreme cold?
6:50 The plants we’re growing are more cold hardy than most people think

Oscar Cameos:
4:14 4:34 6:21 8:16

I’m passionate about an approach to organic gardening that is frugal, easy, sustainable, and works with nature to achieve amazing results. My videos will help you grow more healthy organic fruits and vegetables, while working less and saving money. I don’t push gardening products. I don’t hype bogus “garden secrets”. I provide evidence based strategies to help you grow a lot of food on a little land without spending much or working harder than you have to!

1. ceatuu on May 10, 2021 at 1:05 am

definitely using this technique in the future!!

2. Gina Durie on May 10, 2021 at 1:05 am

How often do you water these plants? VERY INFORMATIVE.

3. Caprio Mrówkicz on May 10, 2021 at 1:06 am

Montana state? Or Minessota?

4. Khol on May 10, 2021 at 1:06 am

The cat was the reason why I watched this

5. Jeanette Requintin on May 10, 2021 at 1:07 am

I wonder if this would work in the bitter Northern Canadian winters where it’s not unusual to have -20’s and below for very long time, not just days. Do the plants need watering if the cold temps go longer than a week?

6. Dragonk1ller 007 on May 10, 2021 at 1:07 am

You could heat it up with candles with a terrakotta pot above them.

7. Phillip Erskine on May 10, 2021 at 1:07 am

Manure and straw compost also puts off heat if one can load a greenhouse up as much as possible it will produce heat during decomposing. FYI have a great day

8. keithg gaudette on May 10, 2021 at 1:08 am

I like this video ***

9. City Lot Gardening on May 10, 2021 at 1:10 am

Great video

10. Old IRISH Number • 27 on May 10, 2021 at 1:10 am

The best I’ve seen yet , thank
    you very much !!

11. J Powers on May 10, 2021 at 1:11 am

Thats pretty dam smart and pretty dam amazing !

12. Kim Williams on May 10, 2021 at 1:13 am

Good video 👍 please check out my brother Wayne his utube Garden channel ThePlantaholic capital T and P his head Gardner holitcualrist at Birmingham botanical gardens UK

13. DOROTHY ANDREWS on May 10, 2021 at 1:13 am

Just found your channel. Got a glass greenhouse last year. I found it wasn’t used as much as I expected. I started my perennials indoors, but couldn’t put them out in the greenhouse as it was still very cold. However, did you plant actual plants there or seeds? I could probably add all the layers of plastic if I planted the seeds out there and checked them daily.?? I am in Canada and right now it is 6C but I felt it was too cold to try and start seeds, as I don’t want to pay to heat the greenhouse. We don’t have any snow now, but it is cold outside, not sure what the last layer you took off the plants was made of..What do you think about starting seeds out there

14. Robert Graves on May 10, 2021 at 1:15 am

Interesting. Have you looked into using the heat from a compost bin inside the hoop house ? I saw an Urban farmer doing that awhile back.

15. Rachel MacDonald on May 10, 2021 at 1:21 am

This is truly impressive. I live where it gets to -30C and -35C for a few days and sometimes even a a few days down to -42C or so, and I would never have considered it possible to grow vegetables even in a hoop house in this kind of environment!

16. Hazen Jordan on May 10, 2021 at 1:22 am

I’m starting a garden in my garden.

17. Mary on May 10, 2021 at 1:22 am

What state or country is this hoop house located? That information would be helpful

18. Beelzebububble on May 10, 2021 at 1:24 am

If you have a good compost pile in the hoophouse, its organic process naturally generate heat.

19. rare1walking on May 10, 2021 at 1:25 am

Some hang Christmas lights in the greenhouse. (Not LED.) Buckets of manure also compost and give off heat.

20. Jason Bredin on May 10, 2021 at 1:25 am

Great job!

21. Chris Bronson on May 10, 2021 at 1:27 am

Wow…i have a better idea. Go get Canada Goose jacket for each of your plants…..save time and money .

22. Spartan on May 10, 2021 at 1:27 am

I tip my hat to you for living in those temperatures.

23. URBAN GIRL GARDENING - Kee Kee Soto on May 10, 2021 at 1:28 am

This is amazing! Great job!!

24. MercifulButterfly on May 10, 2021 at 1:31 am

You still water the plants in winter?

25. suzi perret on May 10, 2021 at 1:31 am

Plastic can really save the plants….and in my case in Southern Alabama, the Milkweed and Monarch caterpillars. Instant green house!
    Thanks for showing yours!

26. Ryonious on May 10, 2021 at 1:34 am

Wow. You’ve totally changed my mind about greenhouses!

27. sean d'epagnier on May 10, 2021 at 1:35 am

would it be possible to heat the house (to average ground temperature) when it is very cold with a small electric pump with antifreeze through pipes buried underground?

28. Marcus Aetius on May 10, 2021 at 1:36 am

Wind chill would not be a factor in the interior.

29. Juan on May 10, 2021 at 1:39 am

Amazing!!! Now… "how to keep greenhouse cool in hot summer"

30. Miss Weezey on May 10, 2021 at 1:40 am

Do you keep it this way all winter? Or do you just cover when Temps are very cold?

31. *NUDE TAYNE* *HATWOBBLE* on May 10, 2021 at 1:41 am

You in Colorado?

32. Machond on May 10, 2021 at 1:43 am

come back to youtube please

33. Palma mi odbiła on May 10, 2021 at 1:44 am

Daj spokój już mam dość zimny ost u mnie minus 20 a palmy osłoniete 😉👍🌴🇵🇱

34. oilspeculatorhater on May 10, 2021 at 1:45 am

Really impressive. Great stuff to know. Thank you for sharing.

35. TheNewMediaoftheDawn on May 10, 2021 at 1:47 am

I left celery, lettuce, chard, and beets outside in beds and several times it snowed on them and got down to -6 or -7 degrees Celsius, and they survived just fine outdoors, I was shocked… The celery did die back to the crowns, but all else was 100% fine. So with just one sheet of plastic, you can get great season extension on both ends of the year.

36. viveganandan vijayaragavan on May 10, 2021 at 1:48 am

Good

37. Robert matheny on May 10, 2021 at 1:49 am

Awesome.
    I use a truck diesel heater. Called a Chinese diesel heater on Amazon. It runs off 12vdc. So I hooked it up to my solar system and run it through the nights and extremely cold days.
    So far so good.
    I might try covering them like in your video to save on fuel. But it’s good to know your method.
    Thanks for sharing.

38. J Turtle on May 10, 2021 at 1:50 am

Is the cat there to heat the hoop house?

39. OYR Frugal & Sustainable Organic Gardening on May 10, 2021 at 1:50 am

Highlights:
    0:22 How we protected plants from the cold
    0:22 Didn’t remove snow from north wall and bottom of hoop house
    0:50 Covered outside and inside of door with 6 mil greenhouse film
    1:52 Why I did not use supplemental heat
    3:42 Temperatures outside versus hoop house
    4:34 How did the plants hold up to the extreme cold?
    6:50 The plants we’re growing are more cold hardy than most people think

Oscar Cameos:
    4:14 4:34 6:21 8:16

40. Jemmarie Salac on May 10, 2021 at 1:50 am

Amazing showing people the possibilities that are available for science in gardening! I designed a heating system for my dad’s green house that could possibly heat in -35 but people always seem hesitant to try because they think the plants will die. I told him I could build a simple door (like what you would see in a decontamination unit in a space station except only for temperature loss) to make sure when the green house is open there would be no shock to the plants. He said he will try the heating the green house earlier this season but hopfuly he will warm up to the idea of growing in the winter because its obvious that is possible! Glad to see your video again because anything is possible! Happy gardening!

41. Tom Brownrigg on May 10, 2021 at 1:50 am

Súper cool 😎

42. vrcun on May 10, 2021 at 1:51 am

Hi and thanks for the video. At 8:07 I just couldn’t make it of what road cover is. Can you please respond, or put a link? Thank you. I was very surprised by the video, and I must say very encouraged too.

43. Droo Orelem on May 10, 2021 at 1:52 am

oh hell no burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr……

44. Aaron Mahr on May 10, 2021 at 1:52 am

Can you use glass?

45. Redgren Grumbholdt on May 10, 2021 at 1:53 am

a large box of rotting manure can work as a heater in a greenhouse

46. Lisa Garrett on May 10, 2021 at 1:54 am

Amazing !! I heard using 55 gallon barrels that are painted black keeps radiant heat in on the south side.

47. SonicRising on May 10, 2021 at 1:57 am

I find keeping my compost bins running in the greenhouse provides a great way to keep the greenhouse warm.

48. PS R on May 10, 2021 at 1:59 am

How would this method work for tomato and pepper plants?

49. will len on May 10, 2021 at 2:02 am

Running a small heater is simple and was FAR easier than what you did! Makes absolutely no sense to go through all of that covering..which blocks the sun..and leaving snow on..when a simple 10 dollar space heater would have solved your problem.

50. Precious Metal Head on May 10, 2021 at 2:04 am

You know you’re a real gardener when shoveling snow is part of your daily chores in the garden.