Queensland fruit fly & a few control ideas for the home gardener…

Queensland fruit fly & a few control ideas for the home gardener…

We have been battling these guys here over the past 4 years.. The problem is amplified as there are many local people that have mango trees & allow the fruit to drop & rot encouraging the mass breading of these pains in the fruity bits.. I am going to try & beat these guys this year using netting & bags so we can get some decent tomatoes & capsicum/peppers..

Fact sheets from the Queensland Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry..
Queensland fruit fly info sheet..

Mediterranean fruit fly info sheet…

A few links to some “Organic” controls of the little blighters..
eco-naturalure
Cera trap

Subscribing to us here at Bits Out the Back is as easy as clicking below,

You can also find Bits Out the Back various social media where we post mini updates on the aquaponics, chooks, worms, wicking bed gardens & other small tidbits daily.

www.facebook.com/Bitsouttheback
http://instagram.com/bits_out_the_back @bits_out_the_back
https://twitter.com/RobsUrbanFarm @RobsUrbanFarm

Have a great one everyone.
Rob.

1. PerentieTut Adventurneering on June 17, 2021 at 1:15 am

Thank you for that, I wasnโ€™t sure what the fly & the pupae looked like… I have been using the Eco Naturalure on my timber garden stakes, my vege garden is still not mature enough to be harvested however as soon as I saw fruit set I decided to start painting the top of the garden stakes as prevention & continue doing so up to harvesting… I also have stakes elsewhere around the yard & apply the lure to them with the idea of controlling fruit fly as much as I can in the yard to hopefully reduce any finding their way to the vege garden.

2. Rob Bob's Aquaponics & Backyard Farm on June 17, 2021 at 1:15 am

Just found this as it was marked as spam sorry :/ No idea why..
    How have they gone for you so far?

3. Rob Bob's Aquaponics & Backyard Farm on June 17, 2021 at 1:16 am

We get them in the insect hoop house where the predators cant get to them but other than that they don’t bother us much.. I hit them with a neem spray & it appears to knock them on the head after a few applications..
    Thanks for the kind comments..
    **pours a couple of Boagยดs**
    Cheers…

4. Bradley Pool on June 17, 2021 at 1:16 am

Thanks! Awesome video… ๐Ÿ‘

5. Rob Bob's Aquaponics & Backyard Farm on June 17, 2021 at 1:17 am

Thanks Michael… I always "process" or give the fruit a good dancing on before feeding them to the worms or chooks… Don’t want any more of the nasty little blighters than we already have..
    Is it the eco-naturalure that you use ?? How many boards do you "paint" up ??
    Thinking that I will have to bite the bullet & get some..
    Thanks..
    Rob

6. Matt De Britt on June 17, 2021 at 1:20 am

Cheers Bob, I think we have them down here on the NSW Central Coast, I wasn’t sure if they were fruit fly or hover flies…..fortunately the poly house I have has fruit fly netting over it….the biggest problem I have is red spider mites and aphids….

7. beautifuldurian on June 17, 2021 at 1:20 am

Great video! But seeing u put so much effort building green house, wrapping etc, the fruit flies still invade yr fruits, pains me. For added security, please put their pheromone lure.

Thingformob – apple cider doesn’t work for this insect. They are two totally different species. "Australian" fruit fly is very damaging to unripen, good fruits, whilst the normal small fruit fly goes for rotting fruits.

There are few types of bait traps for this damaging fly.

8. meanshoes on June 17, 2021 at 1:22 am

Eh Bob! I gotta tell you bro, I really love watching your videos you have a nice nature. and it sounds like you guys do regular battle with the bugs down your way eh. how are the aphid’s in your parts? They drive me nut’s certain time of year. Excellent video bro!

9. Rob Bob's Aquaponics & Backyard Farm on June 17, 2021 at 1:25 am

**WAVES BACK**
    Help me Songbird!!!
    I’m trapped in YT!!!!

10. Rob Bob's Aquaponics & Backyard Farm on June 17, 2021 at 1:25 am

The chooks polish off any mangoes that fall as the tree is in their run.. They are some very happy chooks come January I can tell you ๐Ÿ˜‰

11. Rob Bob's Aquaponics & Backyard Farm on June 17, 2021 at 1:26 am

I know what you mean Brendan.. Now we have a mildew outbreak with all the humid weather we have had.. Might be trailing some new locally developed cucumbers & have planted a lufa as a replacement in for the zucchinis as well..

12. The Productive Garden on June 17, 2021 at 1:27 am

Yes the fruit fly certainly are a pain in the butt.
    I let the chooks scratch around our fruit trees to egt any pupae that drop from fruit that I might miss. If I find fruit that have been stung and arent worth saving I give them to the chooks rather than put them in the compost where the maggots can continue their lifecycle.
    Thanks for giving us a look at these guys Rob.

13. Rob Bob's Aquaponics & Backyard Farm on June 17, 2021 at 1:31 am

Thanks for that… Shall look into getting some soon..
    Have a great one..

14. Mick Tree on June 17, 2021 at 1:32 am

I use eco-lure /Fraser coast QLD and little fly-problem. I wouldnโ€™t put the infected in
    compost– wormbin or chook pen unless it has gone through 3ph smoothie machine or a
    micro wave.

15. songbird591 on June 17, 2021 at 1:33 am

*waves to RB * Very interesting clip ……

16. Karthik Ganesh on June 17, 2021 at 1:33 am

I have rigid gourd and bitter gourd in my farm. I tried many methods. Please help me how to catch r control r kill fruit flies

17. Garden of Weed'n on June 17, 2021 at 1:33 am

Hey Rob Bob, I just watched an American video for a bottle fruit fly trap with apple cider vinegar. Hopefully it works for Queensland fruit fly. I’m keen to try it in my garden. Thanks for all the video posts!

The clip is called " worlds greatest fruit fly trap’ byThe Produce Guy

18. Rob Bob's Aquaponics & Backyard Farm on June 17, 2021 at 1:38 am

A lot of insects have similar cocoons so could be one of many different types Ronnie.. House files have very similar cocoons from what I have seen..
    Shall have a crack at the lemon juice spray when the time comes… Really hope I don’t have to though to tell you the truth ๐Ÿ˜‰
    I would think that it would work by changing the pH like the baking soda sprays do..
    All the best, Rob ๐Ÿ™‚

19. kenl on June 17, 2021 at 1:38 am

Hi Rob

love the net trap setup you have going in the background. what are they called and to get them?

Thanks

20. Naughty Goat Farm on June 17, 2021 at 1:40 am

Thanks mate I set up my first Cera trap last week to protect my bananas and guava.

21. HULKGQ Nissan Patrol on June 17, 2021 at 1:41 am

I’m in S.E Vic I always thought fruit fly was a lot smaller than that!
    So leads me to my question,
    What is it we get in our store bought vegetables?
    There very small between 1-2mm and are everywhere. They seem to have always been around but yeah I thought they were fruit fly!
    Keen to see responses!

22. Pavlovafowl - Organic Forest Garden Poultry on June 17, 2021 at 1:42 am

Yes, we’ve been using quail here for years. We really started with them to cure Andy’s hay fever & eczema, which they did very quickly but I found they were super insectivoraceous, so after I’d run the chooks through to spread compost & get rid of large over-wintering bugs. I’d put the quail in permanently, they have smaller feet(!),are methodical in eating insects & emerging weeds. I see now they are used commercially & saw a reference to a capsicum grower! Run the chooks thru’ the mangoes too!

23. Rob Bob's Aquaponics & Backyard Farm on June 17, 2021 at 1:44 am

The chooks love the grub infested fruit… I’m sure they would miss one or 2 but with the number of flies we get I don’t think they would do much damage..
    Thanks for watching John..
    ๐Ÿ˜€

24. Mohan Udiavar on June 17, 2021 at 1:44 am

What time of the day or night does the female lay eggs ?

25. Robyn Johnson on June 17, 2021 at 1:45 am

Hey rob, just wondering, we bought some materials the other day to build a little insect proof barrier over one of our wicking beds to protect the tomatoes but then realized this would also stop all the beneficial insects as well. Presumably required bees for pollination. Did you find this much of a consequence ?

26. Mick Tree on June 17, 2021 at 1:49 am

Eco-naturalure, one product is for the males; the other for the board is for the female.
    Some people spray it on the underside of the fruit tree leafs but thats not organic .??
    – One board with carpet and a small roof on it, for the backyard and one for the front yard, total/960sq block.

27. cara ryan on June 17, 2021 at 1:50 am

Hi Rob
    Wondering how your fruit fly issues have progressed since this video ? What have you found best practise ? Iโ€™m in central Queensland and this year they have become a real problem ! Thanks for your help ๐Ÿ™‚

28. Susie Whitney on June 17, 2021 at 1:50 am

What type of netting are you using & where did you buy it? The exclusion nets ppl sell to put over individual trees cost a fortune many of us cannot afford!

29. Naughty Goat Farm on June 17, 2021 at 1:52 am

No the 5L wasn’t available so I ended up buying one trap from Home Timber and Hardware.

30. Michael Stuart on June 17, 2021 at 1:52 am

Im thinking of getting netting , My capsicums got done by them big time this year

31. Rob Bob's Aquaponics & Backyard Farm on June 17, 2021 at 1:53 am

Don’t think I know enough but thanks..
    I also think they have a limit of the amounts of "Ummmmm" & "sooo" that can be used in a minute…
    ;D
    Have a great weekend if your lucky enough to get one..

32. Rob Bob's Aquaponics & Backyard Farm on June 17, 2021 at 1:53 am

We are starting to get the aphids in the Insect hoop house again so gave all the plants a good Neeming.. Also think we have white fly as well on the kale.. I did watch a clip form a couple in France that run Quail in their greenhouse "t0fm1DxYmCY " & they suggested it might work for us as well as an aphid control.. Might be something to think about..
    Rob ๐Ÿ™‚

33. Rob Bob's Aquaponics & Backyard Farm on June 17, 2021 at 1:56 am

Howdy.. We have tried the ACV & it works great for the small fruit gnats/flies we get in the kitchen but no good on these QLD fruit fly unfortunately… Would make life so much easier if it did :/
    Thanks & glad you like the clips..
    Have a great one, Rob ๐Ÿ™‚

34. Rob Bob's Aquaponics & Backyard Farm on June 17, 2021 at 1:56 am

Did you get the 5L bulk container Hamish ??
    If it was not available I might be able to help you out..

35. Rob Bob's Aquaponics & Backyard Farm on June 17, 2021 at 1:56 am

Hi Robyn… It really isn’t a problem for us here due to the amount of beds we have. The tomatoes, capsicum, chilli & eggplant will all be grown in the hoop house here as they all will self pollinate fairly easily. I tend to give the flowers a bit of a shake & tickle as well to help them out a bit. The other plants like the cucumbers & melons will be grown out in the open so the bees can get to them & we will bag the fruit if it looks like the flies are going to hit them.
    Hope that helps, Rob.

36. baconsoda on June 17, 2021 at 1:58 am

If we were to make a list of all the pests and diseases we take on each year we wouldn’t even get out of a chair to start gardening. Mind you, that fruit fly is an evil looking boyo.

37. Dale Calder on June 17, 2021 at 1:59 am

What a nasty useless little creature. It looks like a small wasp. I should look at building an insect house to get rid of the miserable cabbage moths lots of those here.

38. Gardeninggirl1107 on June 17, 2021 at 2:01 am

I agree, I don’t waste any fruit affected by pests, just cut the bad part away. The fruit fly problems here in So. Calif.are continual, the gov’t goes on a rampage whenever they feel like it, border patrol checks all incoming fruit and disposes of it (eats it, I’m sure), aerial spraying goes on irregularly, thanks for the great vid ๐Ÿ™‚

39. KurraMiss on June 17, 2021 at 2:04 am

Hi Rob, thanks so much for posting these vids – what a wonderful resource! I stumbled across one on pinterest of all places and I’m pretty stoked having shifted from SA to SEQLD a few years ago I’m finding it VERY challenging adjusting to growing veggies up here, especially with the fruit fly I was at a loss so this being pretty local is such a huge help! Thank you! And good on ya ๐Ÿ˜‰

40. Rob Bob's Aquaponics & Backyard Farm on June 17, 2021 at 2:05 am

I don’t see the point in wasting it.. I have seen people throw out chard leaves as ther was a hole in it made by a grasshopper !!??!!??
    I think some people really have no idea about food & how hard it can be to grow food to the stoopidmarkets standards..

41. Matt De Britt on June 17, 2021 at 2:06 am

I think you should put in for Gardening Australias host for SE QLD Bob !

42. Rob Bob's Aquaponics & Backyard Farm on June 17, 2021 at 2:06 am

Hi there…
    Do you mean the small fly exclusion bags of the netting that goes over the hoop house ? The insect netting for the hoop house came from Netpro & did great at keeping the flies out last season.. Will be expanding it very soon to protect this seasons tomato & capsicum plants.. Let me know & will try & point you in the right direction..

43. Gordon Pilcher on June 17, 2021 at 2:08 am

I’ve found a roll ofย  bug mesh only a couple of hundred bucks for 50X 3 meters was think ofย  wrapping a green house frame in it

44. Rob Bob's Aquaponics & Backyard Farm on June 17, 2021 at 2:08 am

We had a great winter brassica wise with it up this year Dale.. So far all is still great with keeping the flies out as well… Had another good look in there today & still can’t find any..

45. anthony kotsop on June 17, 2021 at 2:09 am

all things blight and beautiful the lord god made them all .. who made the fruit fly ? God the evil doer .

46. Debra Manskey on June 17, 2021 at 2:09 am

Hey mate,
    QFF larvae have been found in northern Tasmania this week!!!! So we’re all very nervously checking our stone fruit crops, hoping to head the little blighters off before they get comfortable. I’m sharing this video around my networks as it gives really good info about what to look for and how important it is to be vigilant.
    Hope you and yours are well,
    Deb

47. Rad j on June 17, 2021 at 2:13 am

Hi mate, so there is no need to tie the bottom of the net to the trunk, how small a hole can they get through