How to Start Your First Container Tomato, Pepper and Herb Garden: All the Steps to Get Started!

The keys to successful container gardens are sun, container size, the right container mix, fertilizing and water management. I show you all the steps to grow container tomatoes, peppers and start herb seeds. Container gardening is easy once you understand the basic. This is a great introduction video.

Please Help Support My Channel: The Rusted Garden – Thanks!

Please Visit The Rusted Garden Seed & Garden Shop: https://www.therustedgarden.com/

You can support The Rusted Garden by using this link for anything you purchase on Amazon. It doesn’t have to be garden related. Anything you purchase gives a % return back to The Rusted Garden
http://amzn.to/2ttyray Thanks for using my link. It helps fund my garden videos!

Subscribe to My YouTube Channel (800 Garden Videos) – The Rusted Garden: https://www.youtube.com/user/pilarchik

Follow me on Instagram for Harvest Pictures, Updates and Monthly Give-Aways: https://www.instagram.com/therustedgarden/

Visit My Original Blog The Rusted Vegetable Garden: https://therustedgarden.blogspot.com/

Contact Me at therustedgarden@gmail.com

1. Kaili T on June 20, 2021 at 1:25 am

I used the same soil mix for a cucumber transplant, is that ok?

2. Camlobes Vtec on June 20, 2021 at 1:28 am

Your a champ. Doing a diy with a busted hand lol.

3. Halina Johnstone on June 20, 2021 at 1:29 am

I have bitter melon plants and leaves damage by some infectious what to do

4. Sree on June 20, 2021 at 1:30 am

Wait so did he put just one hole on the side for drainage and none on the bottom?

5. Latoya April on June 20, 2021 at 1:30 am

You need to use a drill next time buddy

6. beth crist on June 20, 2021 at 1:31 am

What about using grow bags for peppers and tomatoes. Do those dry out too fast too like terra cotta?

7. JustcallmeTI on June 20, 2021 at 1:32 am

Can you use zip ties to support plants with bamboo

8. pretty money on June 20, 2021 at 1:32 am

my basil is on its 2nd year 🙂 i live in zone 9b i had to bring it in maybe 3 times last winter and its thriving again im watching it close so that it doesnt bolt this summer if it starts i will clip them back n move to shade ^_^

9. carol durand on June 20, 2021 at 1:32 am

Here in UK we don’t really get 6-8 hours of full sun. Sometimes yes but sometimes it’s patchy and rainy. but I still want to try and grow some tomatoes and herbs…

10. Miguel Vazquez on June 20, 2021 at 1:32 am

Is this the same process with seed planting?

11. cloudy 2o on June 20, 2021 at 1:35 am

My fiance would do this. Slice himself open and just keep going anyway. Then he’d just laugh quietly as I freak the hell out when he came home 😂

12. Diva Geneva on June 20, 2021 at 1:36 am

How’s the finger doing?

13. Sarais Play Day on June 20, 2021 at 1:38 am

Thank you. Finally found clear steps to start my container garden during covid❤️.

14. Chef Smith Heaven's Healthy Kitchen on June 20, 2021 at 1:39 am

How much water for each container?

15. Bagh Aga on June 20, 2021 at 1:40 am

Love your video I’am 14 old I am starting container garden I like your video the best and easy way A to Z explanation

16. Keith Wallace on June 20, 2021 at 1:41 am

Good information.

17. Gary Pilarchik (The Rusted Garden) (The Rusted Garden) on June 20, 2021 at 1:43 am

Seed Starting Supplies: http://amzn.to/2GrGaZ7                  Please Support The Rusted Garden:
    Garden Fertilizers: http://amzn.to/2DIQDRY                          By using these Amazon links, any Amazon purchase
    Garden Disease & Pest Control: http://amzn.to/2Fqvl8e     you make returns a % of sales back to TRG.
    Grow Lights:http://amzn.to/2GudeiO                                       I turn most of that back into the garden and videos.
    Amazon General Search Page: http://amzn.to/2DZBzyZ     THANKS! Greatly Appreciated – Gary (TRG)

I have Neem Oil, Peppermint Oil, Sprayers, Seeds and so much more at my shop…Please check out my Seed & Garden Shop for your gardening needs at http://www.therustedgarden.comRead more Show less

18. John Holloway on June 20, 2021 at 1:43 am

Super video.
    I have a plot out back that I will be planting in a year or so. It is about 50′ by 20′. It is now just some weeds and grass. I do not wish to till to get rid of the weeds and grass, nor do I want to use chemicals. I will simply kill the weeds and grass with plain garden soil and cardboard.
    Question:
    Do I place the garden soil first, then the cardboard?
    OR
    Do I first place the cardboard, then the garden soil on top of that??
    Thanks

19. Jorge Canales on June 20, 2021 at 1:44 am

Garden soil is less aerated than potting soil/mix wood, bark and perlite is added in larger amounts for potting mixes for aeration. I personally don’t care if it’s too woody or not because other way we are going to have to fertilize the plants. For some indoor houseplants you actually want a very chunky Potting mix that has a lot of bark to allow the soil to have better drainage

20. Altanic on June 20, 2021 at 1:46 am

Omg, FINALLY. Thank you for noting that a 16" bell shaped container is roughly 5 gallons of soil. I’ve been trying to figure it out for DAYS.
    Most sites say 5 gallon containers, but are referring to perfectly cylindrical buckets, but if you go to your local garden center (Lowes, Walmart), most containers are bell shaped.

Very useful information! I’ll keep going for the big boys! Hopefully I’ll have large enough containers to support all kinds of fruits and vegetables throughout the year!

21. xBwahx on June 20, 2021 at 1:46 am

I’m sorry but that was not a tablespoon of fertilizer just say a handful or half a handful 😂😂 lol

22. GlitzDesigns on June 20, 2021 at 1:47 am

Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I’m a beginner and this was extremely helpful.

23. Shruti Pathak on June 20, 2021 at 1:52 am

This was an amazing video for a starter like me

24. Josh Ephraim on June 20, 2021 at 1:54 am

Great explanation!! Just subbed and liked

25. Vijay Patel on June 20, 2021 at 1:54 am

Sir,
    You are a very good teacher for Gardening. I watched most of all Videos and I already subscribed your channel to get knowledge of Gardening. Technically you are the best.
    I am using Osmocote 14-14-14 Cow manure and Epsom Salt. for my plants.
    Is it enough ? Please guide me.
    Thx Vijay Patel.

26. Miss RaptureWatcher on June 20, 2021 at 1:55 am

Should I water the herbs with any soluble fertilizer after they are settled in and if so what kind?

27. Jamie Harasym on June 20, 2021 at 1:58 am

Would i do a mix like this for an elevated garden bed? 45inch by 22inch

28. Joanne Nascimento on June 20, 2021 at 2:00 am

The birds in the background add beauty to your whole lovely video.

29. Janelle Neill on June 20, 2021 at 2:00 am

Thank you sooooo much! Such a great video! Super pumped to start my own container garden now 🙂

30. Vicki Small on June 20, 2021 at 2:02 am

I have a patio tomato plant and it came in a10” pot with a plastic trellis. It’s way to small so I’d like to transplant it to a bigger container ( 5gal ) it’s so entangled now in the built in trellis. What’s the best way to transplant? I was thinking of just cutting it off and leave the trellis part intact. ??

31. Teryka Snow on June 20, 2021 at 2:03 am

Hello I’m in Chicago
    I love your videos very helpful .
    Is it to late to start a garden . It the middle of July

32. fungi on June 20, 2021 at 2:04 am

Vigaro is garbage soil..

33. Oscar Gaspar on June 20, 2021 at 2:04 am

Hi Gary !!!! Excellent videos I really like the way you explain them I just wanna say thank you for sharing . I am planning to do container Peppers and tomatoes next year . but I have a question. Can I use de same method for green Tomatoes (Tomatillos).
    Please I know you are busy but I will wait for an answer . thanks man.

34. Em-Em Tan on June 20, 2021 at 2:05 am

thank you for your very informative videos!! very detailed and a lot of help for first time container gardener like me. one quick question, not sure if you have posted content on how to reuse containers (5 gallon buckets) for next season? looking forward to your input. thanks! 😊

35. Riyas Pc on June 20, 2021 at 2:05 am

I am 13 and I just starting gardening now . I have some tomato plants which are quite small but I am proud of it

36. Kebun Hydroville on June 20, 2021 at 2:05 am

So amazing. I love your videos n i learned alot from your videos. Thanks alot 👍🏻

37. Desirae A. on June 20, 2021 at 2:06 am

This is the video I’ve been searching for!! Ahh thank you 😊

38. bhsbass on June 20, 2021 at 2:07 am

Anyone else thought it was Rustic Garden?

39. Grafting Tactick on June 20, 2021 at 2:07 am

Great video, very informative, lots to take from, Thanks for sharing 👍

40. Faye Tanner on June 20, 2021 at 2:10 am

This is my 1st year. I saw flowers on my tomatoes today. I’m excited

41. Edward Evans on June 20, 2021 at 2:13 am

I’m new to this but I heard that you can use eggshells is that true?

42. Queen D Green (NaturallyDestiny) on June 20, 2021 at 2:13 am

Starting my garden tomorrow I’m trying to do as much research as possible! I’m thinking squash, collard greens, cucumbers, tomatoes, and bell peppers but I’m nervous as heck 😭 is it best to get pre potted plants because I wanted to start with seeds

43. Yolonda Richardson on June 20, 2021 at 2:14 am

I thought you were to germinate the seeds first. I wish I would have saw this first.

44. Rhonda Hooker on June 20, 2021 at 2:17 am

Thank you so much.

45. hasina begum on June 20, 2021 at 2:19 am

My tomato plant is younger than urs when does it get mature enough so that I can transfer to land …plz suggest n my chilly plant is too young than ur pepper when the best time for it to transfer n it’s spring now

46. Mayea Herrera on June 20, 2021 at 2:19 am

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16
    Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

47. Cj's Plant's and aquarium on June 20, 2021 at 2:21 am

And just let everybody know if you’re gonna be growing inside don’t use kalogg organics because I’ve noticed from my use they have a lot of fungus gnats

48. Hyacinth P on June 20, 2021 at 2:22 am

49. Jesus Child on June 20, 2021 at 2:22 am

plastic is not good for health。better not to use it to grow vegetable and make compose。better to use food safe glass to make compose and use clay pot to grow vegetable

50. Irish Valdez on June 20, 2021 at 2:25 am