How to Make A Cold Frame Step-by-Step

How to Make A Cold Frame Step-by-Step

💛 📖 See the GrowVeg book here: https://www.growveg.com/growveg-the-beginners-guide-to-easy-gardening.aspx.
Cold frames are fantastically versatile, helping the gardener to cheat the seasons and enjoy more harvests.

With just a few inexpensive and reclaimed materials, a drill, some screws and a screwdriver, it’s straightforward to make your own cold frame to protect plants from the elements.

In this short video we’ll show you how to make a cold frame of your own, simply, cheaply, and with very few DIY skills required. Take your growing up a notch and give it a try!

If you’ve noticed any pests or beneficial insects in your garden lately please report them to us at http://BigBugHunt.com

If you love growing your own food, why not take a look at our online Garden Planner which is available from several major websites and seed suppliers:
and many more…

To receive more gardening videos subscribe to our channel here: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=GrowVeg

1. H2Dwoat on June 23, 2021 at 1:30 am

Hi, I was just thinking about building a couple of cold frames and a small greenhouse. I want to reuse some double glazing unit but can’t seem to find any info on wether they would be suitable. I know some units can come with coatings to reduce UV etc. What do you rethink about reusing these units, I thought it would give them a second useful life and avoid them going in a landfill.

2. mike D on June 23, 2021 at 1:34 am

do you have the dimensions of the wood you use, you mention thickness but no other dimensions, apprciate you can make these to suit.

3. Ali D on June 23, 2021 at 1:38 am

What’s the difference in functionality with a cold frame and a greenhouse is it just size

4. June ribaldi on June 23, 2021 at 1:41 am

I need to learn to do this . Seriously
    Excellent project First I need tools I dont even own a drill or hammer .
    I’m laughing but its not funny . Of course you can get some handyman to do this
    However Id take great pride building it my self and enjoy it it GREATLY
    Id like to grow baby leafy greens and Herbs in this

5. Russ Dixon on June 23, 2021 at 1:41 am

Top Tip – Don’t try and drill timber with a masonry drill bit as in the video.

6. pbsjones on June 23, 2021 at 1:41 am

One year I made a cold frame by using leftover potting soil bags filled with compost for the walls and an old glass table top for the lid. Lovely, unfrozen lettuce in the middle of winter!

7. normskimonger on June 23, 2021 at 1:44 am

So place on concrete or grass please?
    I would think on grass you have to deal with grass and weeds growing inside the frame.
    Not to mention the fact that this would also be a heated slug hotel if on grass.

8. Tom K on June 23, 2021 at 1:44 am

I made my own coldframe from old scrap wood i had laying around, plus some corrugated polycarbonate sheet. I used corrugated sheet instead of flat as my site is windy and i wanted the sheet to be as strong as possible. Dont forget to get galvanised or stainless screws, they wont rot as quickly.

9. Puryear Eaker on June 23, 2021 at 1:45 am

Hmmm… I finally followed Ann’s advice and took Stodoys. It’s great for beginners and has some advanced stuff too.

10. Yuk San Ng on June 23, 2021 at 1:45 am

where to get the timber,

11. Romana Angersbach on June 23, 2021 at 1:47 am

Hi. If you want to build it yourself just google for ‘Woodprix’ . I know you’ll find good solutions for your idea.

12. JonSnowRadio on June 23, 2021 at 1:48 am

depending on where you live, cypress is another good option.

13. Sherryl Keith on June 23, 2021 at 1:48 am

I’m sure you can find awesome woodworking plans on woodprix website

14. Timothy Folarskovic on June 23, 2021 at 1:49 am

Find all the information you need on the Woodglut website.

15. Bertram Babb on June 23, 2021 at 1:56 am

Definitely never use pressure treated wood in a garden. the toxic chemicals & heavy metals leach into the soil defeating the purpose of organic or just plain healthy nutritious food.

16. Dreadgnot on June 23, 2021 at 1:57 am

I don’t use treated wood around plants I’ll eat. It’s not necessary unless it’s buried (at least here in Colorado) and the chemicals can leach out. Cedar or redwood is a better choice IMO.

17. theuglykwan on June 23, 2021 at 1:58 am

Can the same effect not be had by buying a big clear storage box from a discount store and just covering your plants with it? Weigh it down with a brick to stop it flying off, drill holes in it for ventilation or just leave a small cap at the bottom.

18. Chickenbreastmeat on June 23, 2021 at 2:01 am

What did you use to cut the wood diagonally? Thanks

19. Pawel Krzysztof on June 23, 2021 at 2:02 am

Wow, please next time use a wood drill bit when you driling pilot holes in the wood.

20. Conner Monier on June 23, 2021 at 2:06 am

If you want to build it yourself just google for woodprix. I know you will find good solutions for all your ideas.

21. Summer Hoffman on June 23, 2021 at 2:07 am

I grew a cold frame this year with my dad, and for school I am doing a non-fiction report on cold frames because my grandparents homeschool me. I love to grow lettuce in it and the buds are already starting to come up. I am so excited!

22. Howard Huggins on June 23, 2021 at 2:11 am

Thank you for the suggestions, advice and instructional video.
    I’m fortune in that a friend gave me MANY (10-15?) glass panels which once went around his jacuzzi enclosure, but at the time I hadn’t and real good idea (s) about what to do with them.
    NOT ANY MORE!
    Now all I need is to acquire the lumber and screws with which to build the boxes. Then I need some decent soil and I’ll be ready to go.
    Two questions, if I may ask.
    1. Do you recommend placing small holes on each end or side and cover them with a screen that is small enough to keep out bigger pests like birds but also large enough to permit the entry/exit of bees, etc., as desired, and,
    2. Would it be advised to incorporate some kind of grow lamp that puts out a modicum of warmth, along with lighting to help on dreary days and if so, where might I find information on the size, wattage and times it should be used?
    Obviously, not knowing my specifics it would be difficult to make solid suggestions but if you could speak in general terms it would be most helpful.
    Again, thank you for your time and efforts to educate your viewers (and fans!). 😎

23. james20033 on June 23, 2021 at 2:12 am

How do you make windows?

24. Sydnee88 on June 23, 2021 at 2:13 am

I won’t use pressure treated lumber in the gardens as it leaches toxic chemicals into the food. Nor will I use redwood, a natural toxin.

25. Nick Case on June 23, 2021 at 2:13 am

Your glazed roof will trap rainwater runoff between the glass and lower frame leading to the wood rotting very quickly. Better to allow the glazing to only be sandwiched in the frame on three side and to allow the glazing to overhang the lower wooden support. The glass will be secured by adhesive sealant or polycarbonate can be drilled and screwed.

26. June ribaldi on June 23, 2021 at 2:15 am

This is awesome 🙂

27. M N on June 23, 2021 at 2:18 am

pressure treated wood has arsenic in it not for use around food…..Cedar is better……..or something else

28. SuperEvilC on June 23, 2021 at 2:20 am

Does it really need to be slanted.
    I would like to put some window frames on my flat raised garden beds to start growing a bit early this year.

29. S1iznc1d3 on June 23, 2021 at 2:21 am

Very nice instructional.

30. melovescoffee on June 23, 2021 at 2:24 am

I want to make a strawbale coldframe for my watermelons next year. twentymillion other plans also still on the shelf so yeah… Maybe i will, maybe i won’t.

31. Linda Lyles on June 23, 2021 at 2:27 am

Can you use plexiglass instead of glass?

32. robyn kielsa on June 23, 2021 at 2:28 am

I’m new to your channel (?), anyway, I saw you had a layout for gardens and which veggies go well with others, where do I find that?