10 Smart Watering Tips for Your Vegetable Garden

10 Smart Watering Tips for Your Vegetable Garden

๐Ÿ’› ๐Ÿ“– See the GrowVeg book here: https://www.growveg.com/growveg-the-beginners-guide-to-easy-gardening.aspx.
Water is a truly precious resource. Getting smart with the way we water saves time and money while boosting plant health.

Watering at the right time, in the right place, using the right methods can make a big difference to how much water your garden needs.

In this short video weโ€™ll share 10 tried-and-tested tips for saving water in the garden.

If you love growing your own food, why not take a look at our online Garden Planner which is available from several major websites and seed suppliers:
and many more…

To receive more gardening videos subscribe to our channel here: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=GrowVeg

If you’ve noticed any pests or beneficial insects in your garden lately please report them to us at http://BigBugHunt.com

1. Dillon Carpenter on June 24, 2021 at 1:18 am

This guy narrates for horizon 4 right?

2. Nancy Wells on June 24, 2021 at 1:21 am

Very good advice. thanks

3. Scott H on June 24, 2021 at 1:23 am

How about a bit of humour: Thwart the inevitable hosepipe ban by simply leaving your garden outside in the rain.

4. Sage Oliver on June 24, 2021 at 1:23 am

Hey nice video. Thanks!

5. kevin esposito on June 24, 2021 at 1:25 am

one tip is to take those cheap store bought pots that plants come in, cut the bottoms off, and place it in the ground with the plant, that way whenever you water, it is kinda a barrier and keeps in more water

6. Donna Hornby on June 24, 2021 at 1:25 am

I recycle grey water from shower and washing machine into buckets with holes that are slightly sucken into the soil. Also, I mulch heavily, first with layers of newspaper and then on top of that, I put thick layers of leaves, sawdust, sticks and anything else I can find. Six weeks without rain and the soil is still slightly damp two inches below the surface.

7. Val Lete on June 24, 2021 at 1:26 am

I live in Las Vegas, NV..USA…desert climate. Fall-Spring is not such a challenging time…a good morning soak does wonders. The summers, however are a different story. 112-115 degrees (44-46 degrees C) in the day and NEVER below 80-90 degrees (27-32C) at night. Also, we are always water-stressed in the summer, so conservation is key. All my summer veg is on automatic root-drip irrigation (no loss from evaporation)….sunrise, noon and sunset for 10 minutes. This summer, I harvested 30 kilos of tomatoes from 5 plants.

8. Jumana Lee on June 24, 2021 at 1:26 am

what about watering in the evening, is that good or not?

9. Big Mac on June 24, 2021 at 1:27 am

How can I prevent blue balls monkeys from pillaging my garden and eating my vegetables and fruits without buying a Glock 19?

it’s really bad now since I need homegrown food the more then ever to feed my family.

10. Rita Colfer on June 24, 2021 at 1:28 am

I’m in Southern California and I’ve created my own drip irrigation system out of recycled plastic bottles (juice, milk, 2 liter bottles) sunk into the ground between plants. It definitely helps. We’ve already had some 105+ days and everything is still looking good.

11. Old 37 Homestead on June 24, 2021 at 1:29 am

Watering is tricky here in Florida. It gets so hot in the afternoons that if it doesn’t rain, the plants just wither up, so I feel like I’m watering all the time. (Luckily, since it’s summertime here now, it rains every afternoon, so I don’t have to water manually.)

12. Basil Lopez on June 24, 2021 at 1:31 am

I have a tip to speed up composting. I place the kitchen scraps in plastic bags, then inside compost bins and leave it over winter. In Spring those bags have been used by earthworms as a nursery. I place the content of these bags in pots, cover with soil and compost and plant seeds.
    The next season I empty the pots and all the scraps are almost gone.
    Less hard work and less time to produce compost.

13. Kyah Collins on June 24, 2021 at 1:31 am

This dudes lips are adorable and fantastic all at once.๐Ÿ˜Š

14. Ju Delgado on June 24, 2021 at 1:33 am

Thanks for these tips. This is very usefull for me because I live in a hot country and I only have rain water so I need to save it. Thanks!!

15. Ali D on June 24, 2021 at 1:35 am

What kind of bark mulch do you use is cedar safe on squash beds?

16. Carl Taylor on June 24, 2021 at 1:36 am

Research "ollas" and set up a gravity-fed system to run water to the ollas. You can water your entire garden by tuning a tap on for five minutes. It saves 70% of your water. I use this in the south of Spain and it works incredibly well. You don’t get any weeds either as the surface soil is bone dry.

17. Emma Logan on June 24, 2021 at 1:37 am

I’m in drought ridden Northern California and without summer rain I’m always looking for ways to get moisture into the beds without over-watering. I use the wash water from cleaning my veggies quite often (bonus! extra organic matter) and have terracotta pots in the beds with covers on so that I can go a couple days without direct watering when the weather is right in summer.

18. PD Pond on June 24, 2021 at 1:38 am

Unfortunately we get only a scant bit of rain in Oregon during the summer, windy and very dry! I rely on drip irrigation
    Grass, and leaf mulch. Composted soil, and shade cloth helps retain water on hot days! Great watering tips. Thanks!!

19. Donna Hornby on June 24, 2021 at 1:40 am

Hi, great video on water. My garden is in South Africa, and drought prone and hot area. My two additions are: planting seedlings closer together to prevent wends and for shade (you can think later if necessary); and using newspaper as layered mulch after seeds have emerged, on top of which I lay compost, lawn clippings and sawdust. Reduces watering requirements hugely in the dry season.

20. Bill Astell on June 24, 2021 at 1:42 am

I live in Ontario Canada where we usually get a summer drought… but every so often a wet summer.ย  Two methods I use to deal with drought that I don’t think were mentioned here are 1/ plant early,ย especially potatoes, to suck up as much of the spring melt rain as possible.ย  A one week delay in planting potatoes can make the difference between a good crop and a failed crop.ย ย 2/ I plant my seedling deep. either in trenches or depressions that I don’t fill in with soil.ย  That leaves a little depression that I can water if necessary without the water running away if I end up having to baby my plants.

21. Lynn Proctor on June 24, 2021 at 1:44 am

I don’t understand why people don’t mulch heavily to avoid having to deal with weeds, having to water more frequently, and depriving the soil of added nurtrients. Bare dirt growing seems like such a waste of energy, water and the opportunity to grow better plants. Learn to use your own yards waste (grass, leaves, small and big branches chopped up, rocks, and even extra dirt used in mounds around plants) so you don’t think you have to go buy a bunch of stuff. It will take a year or two for the mulch to break down (except for the leaves and dirt) but you should see the difference immediately due to the dirt holding onto water better. Weeds make great mulch, and you don’t need a compost pile unless you want one. I just pile things up around the base of my plants and it breaks down just fine without me having to tend it. You can cover with dirt if you like, or decorative mulch or stones. The "chop and drop" method of mulching and compost making is all over YouTube. I trim my bushes/trees and lay the branches/leaves at the base of the plant that made them when possible. They now grow so fast I cannot keep up with all the mulch they make. I’m working on two big piles right now, chopping them into workable sizes and shapes for the base of the trees and bushes.

I have sandy "soil." The water will just run off, like a raincoat. It is frustrating to me, so I started recessed gardening. That is, planting in holes in the ground about a foot and a half or more deep. They hold the water, provide some shade, discourage pets from digging, discourage crawling insects, and provide shelter in a hard wind or rainstorm. I am still in the experimental stage, but it looks promising. I dump a couple of shovel fulls of amendments (manure, topsoil, garden soil, etc.) into the holes and plant in them. I don’t like getting on my knees to reach the soil in the holes, so I made some special tools to reach down and plant. The beans love it, and I have Malabar spinach that is doing fine. Try it, you may find recessed planting works for you, too. What to do with all the dirt from the hole? Spread it around the base of other plants. It acts like a fertilizer and mulch.

22. Samus 1818 on June 24, 2021 at 1:44 am

Thank you so much for these tips! I’m just starting a garden, and I don’t know anything about gardening! ๐Ÿ™‚

23. Brian Dyson on June 24, 2021 at 1:46 am

Hi iv ben yousen bath/shower water recycled itdosnot harm the plants or the veg

24. Ela Wyns on June 24, 2021 at 1:47 am

Here I have to struggle with a very sandy soil, so in dry periods I tend to NOT pull out all competing weeds (except large or nasty ones) in my garden beds as they keep the ground at least a bit moist. It’s better to indulge them with a few drops then see the water running away to the next deepest point which usually is not where I want it. As well as it is suitable as a protecting shield in the cold season. Most winters I leave my carrots, beetroots, leeks in the ground, surrounded by any green survivors and gather them the moment they will be used. Bad weeds grow tall … but it ain’t that bad altogether ๐Ÿ™‚

25. Kevin Spaeth on June 24, 2021 at 1:50 am

We use ollas to water our garden. It’s unglazed pottery we sink into the garden and fill up with water every few days. The water seeps slowly out to water the roots

26. Omaid Shokouri on June 24, 2021 at 1:53 am

You can save lot of water by urinating on your compost pile

27. peachesandsugar1 on June 24, 2021 at 1:54 am

One way to save water is to plant several plants together so they shade the soil and each other.

28. ACB 2K on June 24, 2021 at 1:54 am

I thought if you used the pulled up weeds, the roots will grow back?

29. J.French Rennier on June 24, 2021 at 1:54 am

Enjoy your videos. I live in Louisiana & have greatly increased my organic garden yields utilizing the tips from the video’s. Where water is not a problem, smart watering can be achieved & I use the sunken pot method.
    Thanks for the suggestion of grass clippings 2 seasons ago. I began mowing with a grass catcher & use the clippings, also a pickup truck load of free sawdust from a mill & obtain a truckload of free manure from a hobby sheep/goat ranch which brings the animals into an enclosed barn at night for protection.

30. Chris Pitcock on June 24, 2021 at 1:55 am

Bcccbbbb 0

31. Annie Gaddis on June 24, 2021 at 1:55 am

I used to live in Arizona. When we had a drought, I’d put 2 bricks in the tank of the toilet to displace water (there was still enough to flush good). I’d catch rain water from the roof into a 5/gal bucket and bring it into the bathroom, and when it was flushed (if it’s yellow, let it mellow, if it’s brown, flush it down), I use the bucket to refill the tank.

32. Lori Holtorf on June 24, 2021 at 2:00 am

Here in Vancouver it rains most of the time in Fall, Winter and Spring, but then it doesn’t rain at all for about 2 months in the Summer, with temperatures around 30 C (86 F) most of the day and no cloud in sight. I’m struggling to keep up with watering my raised veggie beds every morning, not to mention the beans and peas I planted in the front yard. I’m using the Square Foot Gardening method for my beds, but with only 6 inches (well, the bottom has sunken, so it’s more like 8) of "soil" mixture, I’m finding my plants dry out so quickly and look all sad and droopy by late afternoon when I get home from work. I did use a drip irrigation system out front when I was growing corn there, but it didn’t work very well (it’s a hilly sort of spot, and the irrigation system didn’t work very evenly). Ollas are a great idea, but won’t work well with my shallow beds. I think I’m going to have to build up my beds another 4-6 inches, but the wood and "soil" mix ingredients were a hefty investment in the first place, so I’m loathe to repeat it. Sometimes I wonder if I’m watering too much, but then the wilty plants in the afternoon say maybe not. And then I’m puzzled by the advice to add mulch around plants, because others say not to put any extra organic materials on the soil because it harbours bugs. Sigh. The internet – so much information, so little certainty. ๐Ÿ™‚

33. Home Grown Veg on June 24, 2021 at 2:00 am

Try this single shot or double drip method for those hard to reach vegetables. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84AMaUbaY7w&t=1s

34. Basil Lopez on June 24, 2021 at 2:02 am

From Spring I do not use dishwasher. After the washing up, I collect the water and use it in the garden. As much as 15 Lt. per washing after rinsing.
    After the shower, I collect the water and use it in the garden.
    Once a week I change the water used by my duck
    I collect rain water using 3 water barrels(1000lt.)and upcycle large water bottles that my neighbor puts in the bin.
    It’s a small garden, but growing vegetables use a lots of water.
    The rain water has been used before the end of Summer.
    Saves a few pounds in water bills.
    Yet the garden prefers rainy days, everything grow faster.

35. good caring on June 24, 2021 at 2:02 am

Great Gardening and Watering Tips …If you are in the USA, you can use this Easy to Use water hose (which has US 3/4" Standard Fittings) for watering: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=me%3DA1UC3ESBAHAF3N&field-keywords=expandable+garden+hose

36. Mari on June 24, 2021 at 2:03 am

I swear by Ollas. I have them all over my garden and they automatically add moisture to the soil as needed. I rarely have any weeds since I’m not watering from the top of the soil but instead, the Ollas distributes moisture from underground. It’s very efficient and saves water. I make my own so it’s cheap but still works great.

37. Sunil Kumar on June 24, 2021 at 2:06 am

Very good ๐Ÿ‘Œ, https://youtu.be/j71hYYGbo2g

38. Alexandra Stafford on June 24, 2021 at 2:07 am

Here in hot and sunny southern California I use self-watering pots on my back patio. In winter I only have to fill about once a week, in summer I fill at least 3 times a week.

39. Deborah Anne on June 24, 2021 at 2:07 am

Great tips thanks. You remind me of Hugh fearnley – whittingstall.

40. Luneth Gardens on June 24, 2021 at 2:08 am

I’m in southern AZ in the US. Last week we saw 115 degree weather. My raised beds in my "sunken" garden are doing fine. No rain in about 6 months and I’m on 1/4 inch soaker hoses that don’t put out much water as they are old and below the surface under compost and wood mulch. I water 4 times a day for 5 mins each. I like this "sunken" garden approach and hope to do it on a large scale with modifications at the next house.

41. Miss Mandy Made on June 24, 2021 at 2:10 am

Is it beneficial/okay to mulch with fallen leaves? I was just thinking that it would be cost effective and help the soil retain water. In South Africa it is very dry in Winter and still gets to 20 plus degrees some times in the middle of the day so we have to water often.

42. Dean Spencer on June 24, 2021 at 2:10 am

Like your video… you said mulch with grass cuttings very convenient , I used to do it , but I heard that it takes the nitrite from the soil, what’s your thoughts on this please.

43. Lavender Fields on June 24, 2021 at 2:10 am

Best watering video Iโ€™ve seen yet. I am having a terrible time with watering my newly installed landscape garden. Thanks for the tips ๐Ÿšฟ

44. Jana Miles on June 24, 2021 at 2:12 am

see Larry Hall’s Kiddie pool grow bag system. ๐Ÿ˜Š

45. Onalenna Sehume on June 24, 2021 at 2:13 am

I take 2L bottles of water, poke a few holes in the cap using a screwdriver (or something that would make reasonably sized holes), dig a hole about a third of the size of the bottle, invert the bottle and simply place it in hole. No need for a watering can or hose pipe. The bottle acts a drip irrigation mechanism which lasts for about 8-10 hours until you have to refill it

46. TaylorMinksMusic on June 24, 2021 at 2:14 am

Iโ€™m using Hugelkultur beds this year to combat drought conditions here in California. Buried wood soaks up the rain and stores it beneath the roots, watering the plants when they need it and slowly breaking down into rich soil as well. And of course lots and lots of mulch on top!

47. Germaine Rooke on June 24, 2021 at 2:14 am

We live next to a river. Is it safe to give river water to my fruit and vegetable plants?

48. Gardening Made Easy on June 24, 2021 at 2:14 am

Hi, I have two raised beds that I am growing peppers in. Whenever I check on the soil it is soggy. I haven’t even watered it for 3 weeks! I think it is the morning dew. My plants are starting to show overwatering signs. What do I do?

49. Middletown Insider on June 24, 2021 at 2:14 am

I just moved from New England where I had raised beds with soil I amended with compost for many years, to south central Ohio where I tilled up the grey clayish soil. On a limited budget and unable to collect grass clippings for mulch, I’ve laid out cardboard to help hold moisture and keep down weeds and grass.

50. peachesandsugar1 on June 24, 2021 at 2:16 am

Water from rain barrels should not be used on veggies and soaker hoses are made from toxic materials, be sure to check that you are using a hose that is organic one that you can drink water from it.