What seedlings to start in January in Zones 5 and 6 – January Garden Planting Guide

What seedlings to start in January in Zones 5 and 6

This video is the first in a series of videos I’m filming about what to plant in January for your backyard garden. This video focuses on those of you that live in Zones 5 and 6. Learn what seedlings you can plant indoors in January so that they can be ready to plant out in your garden in 6 to 8 weeks.

Don’t know what garden Zone you live in? Check out this article on our website to find out:

What is my Garden Zone? Using the USDA Hardiness Map

Do you live in Zone 7 or 8? Watch your video here:

Do you live in Zone 9 or 10? Watch your video here:

Learn more about what to plant in Zones 5 & 6 in January by reading this article:

What seedlings can you start in January?- Zones 5 & 6

Join our Seed Starting Course here:

Or Join our Free Seed Starting Mini course here:

Would you like more of Our Stoney Acres?
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ourstoneyacres/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/OurStoneyAcres/

Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/stoneyacres/

More Great Gardening Tips on our website:

1. V. on June 24, 2021 at 1:40 am

It’s that time of year again!! Yay! I shared a few videos on my YT channel last year. Due to the success I had w the few things I winter sewed, I’m going to expand and plant more this year, here in in zone 6. 👏🏽🌱 Thanks for your informative video. Much appreciated.

2. Christine B on June 24, 2021 at 1:40 am

so helpful thank you

3. Lorie on June 24, 2021 at 1:43 am

I heard that poppies like cool weather. can I start those in February?

4. Nicole Gardens on June 24, 2021 at 1:43 am

This is perfect! Thank you so much, exactly what I needed.

5. My happy place homestead on June 24, 2021 at 1:44 am

What time of the month do you want to start your seedlings?

6. Lazy Bunny Homestead on June 24, 2021 at 1:44 am

Thank you so much for this info. I just moved from Arizona (9a) to Kentucky (6b). I need all the help I can get on what I can start now. Currently December 2020. New sub and will be binging on your videos.

7. Bridges CWR on June 24, 2021 at 1:46 am

I plan to start seedlings in a few weeks in zone 8B. Lettuce, kale, spinach collards and maybe early tomatoes. Can you recommend a few companion spices or herbs? Thank you for sharing you experiences.

8. George Wilson on June 24, 2021 at 1:46 am

I am in Zone 5b and there is no chance I can plant anything out at all in March, or generally April either. The ground is typically frozen solid for about a foot and a half that time of the year. And/or covered in snow. I can’t reliably work the ground at all until early May, and then it is usually all mud. I can typically start to work the soil here and begin to plant things the same time the black flies come out, around Mother’s Day.

9. Indiana Backyard Gardener on June 24, 2021 at 1:48 am

Have you ever done any winter sowing? I am interested in the times and dates for winter sowing…would you have any info on that method?

10. Ashley Sovilla on June 24, 2021 at 1:48 am

Great video! Thank you! Do you have a recommendation for the ideal size of starter pots?

11. 232house on June 24, 2021 at 1:49 am

yap yap yap

12. Mary McCartney on June 24, 2021 at 1:52 am

Hello, I watching from UK – Southern England. What are the equivalent areas here to zones 5 & 6?

13. Kelleena Borner on June 24, 2021 at 1:52 am

14. Create Synergistic Transformations on June 24, 2021 at 2:03 am

Bok choy and tatsoi🍀

15. Gardening With SkinnyBoyRandy on June 24, 2021 at 2:22 am

Thank you! Looking forward to the Zone 7 video, Richmond VA here. Will be following. I have joined your channel as well.

16. Garden of Vegan on June 24, 2021 at 2:25 am

I was searching for this exact information two days ago. I’ve started a few different type of tomatoes and lettuce but wasn’t sure what else to start. Thank you for sharing this!

17. Lisa L on June 24, 2021 at 2:25 am

You can add cilantro. It is just as frost tolerant as parsley if not more

18. Joanne Cordone on June 24, 2021 at 2:28 am

Thank you for zone specific planting ideas. I have a program, yet I like to know the limits. I use paper pots to minimize transplant shock. I will be checking back in with you. I also start my peppers in big paper pots.

19. Ruben Rubinos on June 24, 2021 at 2:30 am

Please Let Me Know When And What Plants In Zones 7A And 7B! TY

20. Growpeppers Zone 6 on June 24, 2021 at 2:34 am

Get them Peppers going !

21. MaBriz on June 24, 2021 at 2:35 am

i’m in zone 6b in Washington State, southern stevens county. i want to try starting onions early, though it’s february now but it’s still cold. I do have 2 greenhouses that go unused most of the year because it gets below freezing in there until a time when it’s too hot during the day. i have no heaters or fans in there. I know outside we are still getting into the teens over night. But i’d like to give growing a try anyway. Will my onion seeds germinate out in the cold weather or do i need to germinate them inside and them move them out to the greenhouse when they emerge?