Our Complete Spring Planting Schedule & Garden Layout (Zone 5 Season Extension)

Our Complete Spring Planting Schedule & Garden Layout (Zone 5 Season Extension)

Today I share our complete spring planting schedule and garden layout!

If you shop on Amazon, you can support OYR simply by clicking this link (bookmark it too) before shopping: http://www.amazon.com/?tag=oneya-20

Spring Planting Schedule:

Garden Layout:

0:14 – Intro
0:29 – Planting Schedule Overview
2:03 – Garden Layout Overview
2:50 – February 13 planting of kale, collard greens, lettuce, spinach, onions)
3:46 – February 20 planting of broccoli, cauliflower, celery, peppers, tomatoes
4:20 -March 5 planting of sugar snap peas, radishes, beets, carrots, parsnips, lettuce, and spinach
5:15 – March 12 planting of tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, basil, arugula, bok choy, beets, carrots, rutabaga, turnips
6:13 – March 26 planting of potatoes
6:31 – April 2 planting of kale, collards, spinach, Swiss chard, carrots, onions, lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, turnips
6:53 – April 9 planting of potatoes
7:02 – April 16 planting of strawberry spinach, cucumbers, zucchini, patty pan squash, cushaw squash, acorn squash, butternut squash
7:25 – May 7 planting of sweet potatoes, scarlet runner beans, pole beans, tomatoes, rhubarb, peach tree
7:44 – May 14 we’ll move basil, celery, eggplants, and peppers from the grow room to containers in the front yard
7:57 – Conclusion

March 6 planting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF39CPjevBs

March 12 planting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U3-FxPWF1U

March 26 planting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veM_BjH-edE

April 2 planting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqRLwSEudCg

OYR is all about growing a lot of food on a little land using sustainable organic methods, while keeping costs and labor at a minimum. Emphasis is placed on improving soil quality with compost and mulch. No store-bought fertilizers, soil amendments, pesticides, compost activators, etc. are used.

1. Edgy Gardener on June 25, 2021 at 1:22 am

I cannot tell you how this has helped my brain. For the love of spreadsheets and pre-planning – – thank you. thank you. thank you. My first raised bed is being installed today and my first year of vegetable gardening will begin.

2. Creatively, Candace Flower & Vegetable Gardening on June 25, 2021 at 1:24 am

I really miss watching your videos each morning! I hope all is well with you and your family!

3. Mary Waller on June 25, 2021 at 1:24 am

I also live in zone 5. But in Montana, so I follow your friend Steven in Alberta,too. Just love your videos, research, and suggestions. Am glad you two are on the same page. I am not new to gardening, just new to MT from GA and this will be my first season out here. Looking forward to the adventure. Have checked out all of your videos and have a game plan. Only problem I anticipate is one with deer. A food forest that I can share with them is my fantasy and if they cooperate I may be able to make it a reality. Looking forward to future info. Thanks a bunch.

4. City to Farm on June 25, 2021 at 1:25 am

What type of computer program did you use to make the garden lay out (not the planner with the frost layers). I would love to find something simple like that. My google sketchup is a little overboard for what I would like to use lol

5. zarah doan on June 25, 2021 at 1:25 am

what do you think about having a soil heating cable then a hoop house over?

6. Harmonic Wealthy Life! on June 25, 2021 at 1:28 am

hi Patrick
    coke bottle that has kale growing has cap close or open..I m cofused on what you said in video. Also what r u filling in compose container to grow potatoes.

7. Jennie Hoover on June 25, 2021 at 1:28 am

This is so helpful! Thank you so much!!

8. Calyr Elf on June 25, 2021 at 1:31 am

I was just wondering why the downloadable planting chart does not look like the one in the video, which includes tomatoes, peppers and eggplant. I would love to see those on the chart. Thanks!

9. PStimeless on June 25, 2021 at 1:31 am

didnt you say something about that sometimes if you plant too early to get an early harvest,ie peas, they end up producing at the same time of peas planted a few week later ?

10. Juliana Grow on June 25, 2021 at 1:31 am

Still, still my go-to for garden info and feel good garden videos!

11. john smith on June 25, 2021 at 1:32 am

In prepping for 2019 I’ve been doing the same thing.  I’ve got papers, charts, seed packets, drawings, all over my desk.  My wife looks to me and jokingly says, "a little obsessed are we?"  I’m glad to see I’m not the only one!  🙂

12. Rafs Kitchen Garden on June 25, 2021 at 1:32 am

Hi Patrick, I like the idea of multiple layers of protection and might use them next year, this year I have a horse manure hot bed with fleece on top in the poly-tunnel which gives me +3C comparing to outside (on cold nights) so that soil in modules do not freeze. Ideally I would skip the hot bed and use only the protection layers so might try it next year. I like that your are using google docs I also made my in there and whats great about it is that I can work on it while being at work or in transit or when I’m in the plot great stuff 😉

13. Conrad Cardinal on June 25, 2021 at 1:33 am

I don’t think you know how much this is going to help me (and I’m sure many others) out this year Patrick, thanks for another great video!

14. Shelita Williams on June 25, 2021 at 1:33 am

Wow how organized! Maybe if I used a chart I wouldn’t feel so chaotic with my sowing and planting! I’m gonna give it a shot but on a smaller scale for now! Thanks so much for the time and effort you put into your videos I’ve learned so much I plan on implementing this season. BTW I’ve got several GKH seedlings! I put them in the fridge for a bit first! Thanks a bunch!!!!

15. Shane Bennett on June 25, 2021 at 1:34 am

Patrick, do you mind to share what gardening planner software or program you use? I’ve searched your videos and descriptions and can’t find that answer…

16. flanmaryj on June 25, 2021 at 1:36 am

I’ve been trying to draw out a schedule for my garden for many years!! I live in Milwaukee and have a keyhoke garden, bordered by another veggie garden that makes a full rectangular garden. I also have a fruit garden which has several types of strawberries and asparagus plants which I don’t kniw if they survived! My husband died in June and I was his cargiver for many months, therefore, I didn’t garden this year. I’m planning on gardening this year and recently started organizing my seeds! I’m really looking firward to following some of the ideas used in your plans. I have used intercropping, square foot, and sheet composting, no dig gardening methods for many years! Two years ago, we started using straw, therefore, my gardens aren’t too much out of hand. I’m a native if Chicago and love wgat you’re doing!! Thanks for sharing!

17. Benja's Uber 1337 Hobby on June 25, 2021 at 1:36 am

Wow what a plan 🙂

18. Seedaholic Gardens on June 25, 2021 at 1:37 am

My beds are not laid out the same way as yours, yet! lol, but I trust your judgement looks like we are planning to plant on or around the same days, but because you are the pro, I will revise dates as needed to coincide with yours. Just love how my garden gets better and better every  year, but with the help of you tubers like you and others this year, H.O.P.E. will finally launch(Helping Other People Eat). Thank as always for a magnificent teaching tool. I’ll keep you posted on my progress.

19. Nadia Ayoub on June 25, 2021 at 1:38 am

Great video. Can’t wait to see how it all turns out

20. Kaye Kittrell Late Bloomer on June 25, 2021 at 1:39 am

I wonder if I had a chart if it might seem impressive like this. I just can’t imagine…

21. Southpaw Davey urban farm. on June 25, 2021 at 1:41 am

Just catching up as I am behind garden and videos gold fever lol. Great vid mate as ever and inspiring for us in the colder climates. How many square meters off beds have you got? More or less.

22. Fernando Romera on June 25, 2021 at 1:43 am

Great idea, I’ll try to make one for my garden based on yours.

23. Denise Miller on June 25, 2021 at 1:48 am

Thanks for another great video. I have learned a lot and truly enjoy watching them😀

24. Kaye Kittrell Late Bloomer on June 25, 2021 at 1:48 am

Cushaw!! I’ve got nine plants sprouted with first set of true leaves. What in the world am I going to do with them, LOL. I think I’ll have to grow them on the garage roof.

25. Lindsey Gouwens on June 25, 2021 at 1:50 am

I was going to put my greenhouse on concrete, is it better to place it on grass?

26. Just Me on June 25, 2021 at 1:53 am

Oh,, and HOW did you build a greenhouse that won’t blow away or collapse in the winter,,,??? Do you have a video about ur greenhouse,,, or What is your method and materials???? how large is it,,?? and what kind of plastic did you use,,?? THank you. (im in central nh)

27. Gratitude Ranch on June 25, 2021 at 1:54 am

Hey Patrick,
    I was wondering how you know when to use one or two layers of protection?
    I’m trying to learn how to really get more out of what we grow.
    Thanks again for all your help.

28. snsmystic on June 25, 2021 at 1:57 am

This is the best! I’m working on an excel as we speak.

Hope everything’s okay as I have not seen new videos lately.

29. zarah doan on June 25, 2021 at 1:58 am

I wish you can share your double layer hoop house design. I’m not handy dandy so I really really need that. yours is so different and how do you set it aside for summer?

30. Gadfly on June 25, 2021 at 1:59 am

And normally you keep all of this information in your head! Thanks for the free info.

31. Hilt Tilt on June 25, 2021 at 2:00 am

Have you had any issue with pest issues within the hoop houses? Or do they tend to stay dormant?

32. crazyincolorado on June 25, 2021 at 2:01 am

That’s a lot of moving parts! This is only my second season gardening so this was overwhelming and inspiring for me to watch. I hope someday to have my garden run that smoothly on such a large scale. Thank you for sharing!

33. paintingtracey on June 25, 2021 at 2:02 am

This is incredible. Thanks so much for the documents. As new gardener in zone 5b I am really needing this guidance. Also I like a lot of the same things you do. I love love love the idea of the double cover and getting greens all year round. I am addicted to my greens. How is your hoophouse holding up? I hope you do videos again soon. I am really curious as to how you, Oscar, and your garden is doing.

34. Dan Mazz on June 25, 2021 at 2:03 am

In your Garden Layout, is North towards the top of the page for you?

35. tintunbirha on June 25, 2021 at 2:05 am

Great. Thanks

36. Allen Shaffer on June 25, 2021 at 2:05 am

You do a great job making useful and original content.  Your planning schedule is awesome.  I hit the share button on the google doc but also wanted to provide feedback that you are doing a great job.Allen

37. Just Me on June 25, 2021 at 2:07 am

and i like your channel, hoping to just use One channel this year,,, i like your chart,,, hoping for broccoli and cauliflower this year,,

38. Barbara Rickman on June 25, 2021 at 2:08 am

Is it too late to start cucumbers? It is mid June. The potatoes are up cause of Colorado Potato beetle.

39. Lagaronne59 on June 25, 2021 at 2:08 am

Thank you for your layout and planting schedule. I will be late starting this year but look forward to planting most of my vegetables next week. I live in the Toronto area Zone 5

40. Paula Beattie on June 25, 2021 at 2:08 am

Thank you so much for this. What are the dimensions of your yard so I can relate to the beds. Thx

41. Elyse Joseph on June 25, 2021 at 2:10 am

Bravo on all the planning! And a very Happy Birthday 😉

42. Just Me on June 25, 2021 at 2:11 am

Im in Zone 5,, and there is TONS of snow in my yard,,, ?? i am in central NH,?? Are you further South then,,,?? Thank you,,, and Please,,

43. Haphazard Homestead on June 25, 2021 at 2:12 am

That is some organized gardening! As someone who is more haphazard, I’m in awe at that detailed level of planning! Here’s to great 2016 gardens for everyone!

44. Dooby Cook on June 25, 2021 at 2:13 am

I noticed you have a Haskap growing area. What is your favorite variety? I was thinking of growing some on the hillside behind my house. Any suggestions?

45. Kaye Kittrell Late Bloomer on June 25, 2021 at 2:14 am

Oh, man, I WISH I was this organized. Can you share that document? So scientific. I probably couldn’t do it, LOL. So amazing, Patrick!!

46. Sunny in the Garden on June 25, 2021 at 2:15 am

Patrick, if you were a genie and you gave me 3 wishes, I would have spent them ALL on this video! It really got me un-stuck and kick-started my season. Thanks!!!

47. Eros Envy on June 25, 2021 at 2:15 am

I wish there was a love button 😊

48. Kaye Kittrell Late Bloomer on June 25, 2021 at 2:16 am

Have you ever shown your front yard edibles?

49. Weegie on June 25, 2021 at 2:17 am

HOW can you adjust for the growing zone? Zone 5 to zone 9a?

50. Sun's Out Productions on June 25, 2021 at 2:20 am

I subscribed. I’m doing a Canadian zone 5b gardening vlog. Episode 3 coming soon. Happy gardening, everyone!