Growing Soft Fruits for Beginners

Growing Soft Fruits for Beginners

💛 📖 See the GrowVeg book here: https://www.growveg.com/growveg-the-beginners-guide-to-easy-gardening.aspx.
Juicy, sweet and oh-so tempting – soft fruits are the last word in homegrown deliciousness. They’re also heavy cropping and surprisingly easy to grow.

If you’ve never tried growing fruit before, now’s the time to get started.

In this short video we show you the best soft fruits for beginners to try, so you too can enjoy tasty treats from your garden.

If you love growing your own food, why not take a look at our online Garden Planner which is available from several major websites and seed suppliers:
and many more…

To receive more gardening videos subscribe to our channel here: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=GrowVeg

If you’ve noticed any pests or beneficial insects in your garden lately please report them to us at http://BigBugHunt.com

1. J Parra on June 26, 2021 at 1:36 am

We’ve had a large raspberry plant that wasn’t producing much fruit.  Now we’ve learned to cut it back so this year we cut it to the ground.  Hopefully that will do the trick.  I’ll keep you posted.

2. meroudaOL on June 26, 2021 at 1:36 am

Round here we have golden raspberries, gooseberries, black raspberries, white alpine stawberries, regular strawberries, lingonberry, and one tiny, barely producing blueberry.

3. frazzld frazzld on June 26, 2021 at 1:37 am

I can’t remember if I have a summer or autumn raspberry? It literally did nothing last year (when I bought it) & thought i’d killed it! It’s literally a stick ( maybe 10 inches high), with two leaves that have just appeared qter way from the base!? Any ideas anyone? I;m in Uk if that makes a difference? All help is appreciated,. Thanks.

4. Benderwii on June 26, 2021 at 1:37 am

Try the honeyberry/haskap berry. Grows in poor soil and can tolerate nearly full shade.

5. TONI STUART on June 26, 2021 at 1:38 am

love, love, love this segment. Love this website and happy to subscribe to it. I learn so much. But I do have to convert/adapt to my subtropical, southern hemisphere climate I live in. Not that easy really. Reversing the seasons and working out…..is this goning to work in my sub tropical climate? But I am really happy to subscribe and learn………Anyone got any sub tropical tips for me?

6. Anne Studley on June 26, 2021 at 1:38 am

I have a black currant bush that produces lots of flowers and leaves, but the flowers end up producing VERY few berries. I’d love to see a more in-depth how-to video on pruning and growing black currant bushes in general. Are they even self pollinating? The nursery where I got it years ago doesn’t even know.

7. nic sim on June 26, 2021 at 1:41 am

Tayberries are great. They outcompete and send out lots of runners so it’s good contained

8. JonSnowRadio on June 26, 2021 at 1:42 am

We planted thornless blackberries last spring. Our summer was so rainy the fruits were not great, but the plants are huge! Not sure if I they fruit on 1st year canes or not.

We also planted blueberries, which required a lot of soil amendment to get the acid level where they like to be. Deer or rabbits got at them during the winter however and I’m not sure that several of them will come back. Might not suggest these for beginners unless they are prepared to defend them for the first few years. The blackberries weren’t touched.

9. Patty Waters on June 26, 2021 at 1:42 am

Have a blueberry bush that we started in the spring and it’s not growing much. Suggestions?

10. WenJie ZhuGe on June 26, 2021 at 1:43 am

I’m going to test the waters to plate red berries. That makes me a little curious . Fortunately, your videos encourage me, it’s so helpful. Thanks.

11. Carl Gabriel on June 26, 2021 at 1:43 am

I have an Embankment of a garden which was full of trees and I have now cleared I have planted fruit trees in it it’s about 6 to 8 feet sloping Embankment and about 30 feet long with a retaining wall of 4 to 5 feet high I was wondering could I grow soft fruits to grow down the wall and if so what kind.

12. Phwifty on June 26, 2021 at 1:47 am

I recommend autumn amber raspberry is very good for beginners

13. Mark Frampton on June 26, 2021 at 1:48 am

I’m growing strawberries and blueberries (mixed varieties for longer cropping) this year at my allotment. They’ve been in for a few months, so looking forward to seeing how they go when the spring arrives.

14. Marilyn Clark on June 26, 2021 at 1:50 am

I have a dozen of blueberry bushes growing in pots. I continually add used coffee grounds as they seem to love it. Plus I put soil acidifier during fall. I trim dead twigs. My blueberries provide me bountiful harvest each year!

15. Beth Banderton on June 26, 2021 at 1:50 am

I’m going to use my new greenhouse this year so wondered with tomatoes. Do you have to sow the whole packet of say 20 seeds or can you just sow maybe 2 or 3 so none go to waste thanks

16. Little Wolf Taima on June 26, 2021 at 1:51 am

Does anyone have any idea what blackberries are cropping up in Wiltshire about now? Small fruits, round clusters of very small drupelets, unusually firm when ripe and flowering as late as the very end of October when I last checked, so bearing fruit well into November. Notably different to the other varieties growing around it that were done by the end of September.

17. Simone Bourgeois on June 26, 2021 at 1:53 am

Can Currents grow in growing zone 9b?

18. Wenz World on June 26, 2021 at 1:54 am

Loved this! We inherited a lot of fruiting plants when we bought our home. There are well-established blueberries, wild blackberries and raspberries, plus red currants and elderberries. We’ve added gooseberries, which have spread nicely on their own. Additionally we have fruit trees, especially apples. This video is particularly helpful because I’m never quite sure when to prune. I’ll give it a go this winter(if it ever stops snowing). Thank you for all the wonderful, informative videos!

19. N Dixon on June 26, 2021 at 1:55 am

Thanks, am starting an allotment for the residents of this house to use, will be making the whole garden edible with fruit and veg with a polytunnel and shed, the only inedible plants will be beneficials as I’m setting out the garden as organic, chemical free. All the produce the tenants don’t use will go to the local food bank for the local community. A big task ahead for this spring, but I’m gonna love getting my hands dirty again 🙂

20. B.A.D. Dickie on June 26, 2021 at 1:58 am

How did you set up your berry patches? Looks like 1-2 fruit bushes in small rounds?

21. Elaine Lerner on June 26, 2021 at 1:59 am

Sorry to see blueberries weren’t mentioned. Otherwise, I always enjoy your videos and information.

22. Iky C on June 26, 2021 at 1:59 am

Nice video! Mulberry is another!

23. Dutch Gallagher on June 26, 2021 at 2:01 am

Just found you on YouTube and already subscribed. Thanks for the informative tutorials. To the list of soft fruit I’d add Japanese wineberry. Easy to grow. Mine are on a north-facing wall with morning sun and crop well. I love the taste of the berries.

24. Mark Billett on June 26, 2021 at 2:03 am

planted some blue white and red berries plus some rhubarb but got no fruit from the bushes and the leaves curled up, and the rhubarb didnt grow or anything, what am i doing wrong ?

25. singleman on June 26, 2021 at 2:03 am

Nice! Archived this one!

26. Nick F on June 26, 2021 at 2:04 am

i used to grow veg but now im turning my garden into an organic fruit garden,i have blueberries,blackberries,gooseberries,red and white currants,cranberries as well as apple,pear and cherry tress and rhubarb..much nicer than supermarket fruit and no nasty chemicals either….thanks for the video..:-)

27. product protocol aliexpress on June 26, 2021 at 2:05 am

Hello friend how are you,My friend your video is very good ,So i am subscribe your cancel.Friend subscribe my cancel.(Thank you)

28. Mohamed Tayel on June 26, 2021 at 2:07 am

is this plant’s survive in Egypt if yes what is best times for planting

29. Phwifty on June 26, 2021 at 2:08 am

I recommend
    AutumnAmber raspberry Very good for beginners

30. Am The Crow on June 26, 2021 at 2:10 am

Which is best for the desert southwest (US?)

31. Jan Vautard on June 26, 2021 at 2:13 am

I grow blueberries, both the traditional blue type and a pink lemonade blueberry in containers. The require very little aside from putting cages around them to protect the fruit and some minimal watering and occasional feeding or soil amendment to insure adequate acidity. My daughter has raspberries, blackberries, and pink lemonade blueberries planted in-ground at her house.

32. Dunsters & Dragons on June 26, 2021 at 2:13 am

I have currants (red, white and clove scented), they are great, very easy to grow. I prune them in the winter to remove old, dead and crossing canes, mulch them in our hot summers and water them with a soaker hose when needed. That’s generally weekly here in our hot, dry climate and sandy soil.

I have a goji berry bush – I’m not so happy with it. It tends to root where ever it touches the ground and the berries are small and bitter. There may be better varieties. It is certainly tough!

I tried the hardy kiwi’s, they need more water than I am able to provide – grow them where its damper and not 110 F in the summers!

I’ve a currant/gooseberry cross, its pretty tasty, rich and tart. I grow Elderberries, be sure they have shade in hot areas and plenty of water, they are easy to grow though. Oregon grapes have wonderful blue berries that are tart, but not bitter and make wonderful jelly! They are rock solid easy to grow and a lovely ornamental evergreen.

I have a couple of Mulberry trees, they are marginally hardy in my almost zone 4 extreme climate. I love the fruit though, very flavorful and very prolific (flavor may be variety dependent) – be careful the purple ones stain, keep them away from walkways and driveways. I love growing a variety of oddball fruits!

33. marcel leonardi on June 26, 2021 at 2:17 am

34. Lucy Macbride on June 26, 2021 at 2:19 am

Hi. I live in the Highlands of Scotland where it gets very cold. Can I grow my soft fruits in containers in my greenhouse

35. Rich Davey on June 26, 2021 at 2:19 am

Brilliantly enthusiastic video. Heading to the garden Centre now to plant my raised beds with fruit. Thanks for posting 👍

36. Molly Myers on June 26, 2021 at 2:24 am

I love blackberries! I have two varities and will be transplanting this year and covering to keep them away from the birds. Thank you for your enjoyable and educational videos

37. Rhoman Mason on June 26, 2021 at 2:27 am

I have red gooseberry and blackcurrant bushes at the moment but am deciding wether or not to have Apple and plum trees planted I’ve moved from growing veg to growing fruit.

38. Dolly Perry on June 26, 2021 at 2:28 am

You skipped Blueberries. Is that because you deem them too difficult for beginners?

39. Nicole Cervantes on June 26, 2021 at 2:29 am

Do you have to wait a year after planting strawberries and blackberries before you can harvest them?

40. Warren Abrahams on June 26, 2021 at 2:29 am

Nice – Definitely planting strawberries 🙂

41. Tafari I on June 26, 2021 at 2:32 am

Hello. I wonder if you can help me please? I live in London and have just started a garden. I have purchased three bayberry plants that are flowering and some have green fruit on them. I have them in pots. I would like to keep them in pots if possible. How often should I water them? What home made organic fertiliser would you recommend please?
    Thanks

42. Tom K on June 26, 2021 at 2:32 am

aw wow, you folks are psychic! I was just checking out some autumn fruiting raspberries last night. Its a sign for sure.

43. Bronwyn H on June 26, 2021 at 2:33 am

This is so helpful… I decided to go all in with the perennials this year, so I chose gooseberries, loganberries, a raspberry, and a blueberry… And just decided to add goji to the mix! There are so many beautiful fruit-bearing perennial ground covers, too, like creeping dogwood and creeping wintergreen!

44. E.L. Bl/Du on June 26, 2021 at 2:34 am

agree w/ Marilyn about blueberries, another easy one is figs. They are bountiful and make delicious jam, if they don’t all get eaten up first.

45. Maryjane Green on June 26, 2021 at 2:34 am

I planted raspberries a few years ago, get vigorous growth, but I’ve seen very few flowers, no fruit. I’ve been trying dif things, from cutting all vines, to cutting none. I want to make jam! I am in zone 5. I have a few varieties in there, I forget what.