Backyard Farming in Colorado Springs, CO

Backyard Farming in Colorado Springs, CO

A quick spin around Ivywild Aquaponics and Neighborhood Farm. Please subscribe to our channel to see the rest of our videos in this series and to stay current with all the happenins’ around the farm.

1. Rebecca Brefeld on June 27, 2021 at 1:39 am

I just found your channel! I live in Fountain & am pretty new to gardening ( this will be my 3rd season) you have an amazing little farm! We had a green house our first year but sadly the storms last year destroyed everything so we are starting over. Thanks for sharing all the info!

2. philchips on June 27, 2021 at 1:41 am

Why is it illegal to have a rain catch? That’s bullshit, time to vote out those politicians. Can’t even harvest free water.

3. righttothrive on June 27, 2021 at 1:47 am

I can’t take credit for the term – it is permaculture vocabulary. 🙂

4. Laura G. Young on June 27, 2021 at 1:56 am

Wow, this place is a Colorado gardener’s dream! Are you still in this location? I’d love to see some follow-up videos to see how things have progressed.

5. stone lizard hops farm on June 27, 2021 at 1:58 am

Right on great video I m in New Mexico so I know what you mean growing in this elevation keep up the hard work

6. At War on June 27, 2021 at 2:00 am

I’m moving to Colorado Springs in a month, we’re looking for a home to buy now- and gardening is very important to me, is parts of Colorado Springs that are better than other parts , West side? Hill sides? Flat land? I like victory gardens, and English gardens too , is this possible

7. John Arizona on June 27, 2021 at 2:00 am

Nice! Payson Az here so I hear ya about high and dry. I’ve had luck with Pineapples, apples, mangos, papaya, pomegranates and just started some ephedra.  You might consider setting up your compost pile to also be a solar still. Otherwise that water just evaporates. God Bless!

8. righttothrive on June 27, 2021 at 2:07 am

Soooo true. I have heard rumblings of a national water plan for exactly that reason. If you think it’s a mess now, wait until the Fed’s try to regulate all water in the West. What a nightmare!

9. farfromform on June 27, 2021 at 2:08 am

fantastic video! please consider the chems in the treated wood, plant roots gon find said chems. better to use untreated scrap or logs as both are free.? c springs is beautiful just like your garden!

10. Hei Hei on June 27, 2021 at 2:10 am

New subscriber. I live in Colorado too. Hope to see your new video soon.

11. Thunder Rolls Media on June 27, 2021 at 2:11 am

#OrdwayColorado

12. UPGardenr on June 27, 2021 at 2:13 am

Guild thats a good idea, and a good way of putting it.

13. s3venvii on June 27, 2021 at 2:15 am

Yeah if you want to see an ugly battle get a Coloradan and a Kansan together and start talking about who owns the water that come from our skies and mountains 🙂

14. Devoy Williams on June 27, 2021 at 2:18 am

What if you put two ibc totes underground?

15. Growing Your Food In Your Own Backyard on June 27, 2021 at 2:18 am

I am a native of Colorado of 63 years. In Colorado depending on the region has different climate levels. The high countries above 6000 ft² can get very very cold. But in the Denver metro area are winters are not very very cold and have not been very very cold for now the past 25 years. Compare to back east, Colorado doesn’t have very very cold winters. We do have maybe 1 or 2 weeks of temperatures that will get into the single digits. I agree our weather is sporadic and unpredictable. And the subsequent growing season can be very different from the previous year seasons which makes gardening very challenging in Colorado.

16. Randall Jenkins on June 27, 2021 at 2:20 am

Also, didn’t the CO legislature change the water rules to allow up to 120 gallons water catchment for household use only? That was my understanding anyway..

17. righttothrive on June 27, 2021 at 2:27 am

If I understand my Colorado history, the laws go waaaaay back to before when Colorado was even a state. Colorado resources were split in every conceivable way, to include the ownership of rain/snow falling on your property. In most places in Colorado we don’t own the minerals under the ground either. This allowed the folks dividing up the land to sell it three times – the land, the water, and the minerals. Greed is such an ugly thing, and we are still in a mess because of it.

18. David Sams on June 27, 2021 at 2:29 am

My son is in Fountain, Colorado and we will be moving there to join him in a few years. You are perfect for what he/we want to do. I will watch all your videos and get back to you. David Sams, former coordinator of the Tennessee Master Gardener Program.

19. Randall Jenkins on June 27, 2021 at 2:33 am

Great video! We’re planning to move to the Springs in ’21, to be closer to kids and grandkids. Can you recommend a neighborhood(s) that allows what you’re doing? I’m envisioning a layer flock and an acquaponics system and greenhouse to start. Thanks so much!

20. Elisha Hurlocker on June 27, 2021 at 2:36 am

I laughed so hard hearing the description of Colorado weather. I’m a native to springs and am always complaining how this is the worse place to grow.🤣🤣