What to plant in your Garden in April [Zones 5 and 6]

What to plant in your Garden in April [Zones 5 and 6]

April is the start of planting season in your backyard garden if you live in Zones 5 and 6. This video will tell you what to plant in your vegetable garden during the month of April. It also gives you some hints on what to be planting indoors as well.

This is the April edition of our monthly vegetable planting guide for Zones 5 and 6. Don’t forget to check google to find your last frost date for your area. Cool-season crops can be planted 4 to 6 weeks before your last frost. Warm-season crops need to wait until the threat of frosts passes.

Vegetables to Plant indoors in April
Peppers, Tomatoes, Lettuce,
Asian Greens, Swiss Chard, Celery

Vegetables to plant by seed outdoors in April
Lettuce, Arugula, Beets, Radishes,
Carrots, Turnips, Parsnips, Spinach
Peas, Swiss Chard, Asian Greens, Kale,
Potatoes

Vegetables to plant outdoors by transplant
Onions, Lettuce, Spinach, Swiss Chard,
Asain Greens, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Cabbage,
Brussels Sprouts, Kale, Berry Plants
Tomatoes & Peppers in Walls O Water

Don’t know what garden Zone you live in? Check out this article on our website to find out: https://ourstoneyacres.com/what-is-my-garden-zone

Do you live in Zones 3 or 4? Watch your video here:

Do you live in Zones 7 or 8? Watch your video here:

Do you live in Zones 9 or 10? Watch your video here:

Learn more about what to plant in Zones 5 & 6 in April by reading this article:

April Planting Guide – Zones 5 & 6

Join our Seed Starting Master Course here: https://onlinegardeningschool.com/p/seed-starting-simplified/?affcode=70931_tkupmiev

Or Join our FREE Seed Starting Mini-course here: https://onlinegardeningschool.com/p/seed-starting-basics/?affcode=70931_tkupmiev

Would you like more of Our Stoney Acres?
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ourstoneyacres/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/OurStoneyAcres/
Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/stoneyacres/

More Great Gardening Tips on our website:

1. Brenda de Paula on June 27, 2021 at 1:23 am

Ive planted radishes, lettuce, swiss chard, spinach, kale, and its growing already (outside) 🤪

2. sanguinelynx on June 27, 2021 at 1:25 am

I had to buy a few larger packs of seed that I wont be able to use this year. A friend years ago told me to put them in the freezer to store for next year. Is this the best method, or can they be stored differently?

3. Mirandomness on June 27, 2021 at 1:25 am

My husband and I are looking at moving from 9a to 5/6a next year. These videos are really helping this Midwesterner relearn how to plant in a colder climate after living in Houston.

4. Mrs. Mags on June 27, 2021 at 1:27 am

I’m just north of you in zone 6b, Ogden/North Ogden area. Can I sow flower seeds in pots outdoors now or wait? I’ve got sunflowers, marigolds, calendula and a hanging basket mix. I’ve started more inside, but I’ve filled my seed starting trays. I won’t have room in my trays for another two weeks, at least. I need to buy another tray just for flowers… Also, do you have a video on herbs? I’m creating a large outdoor herb bed (artichokes in the center, herbs on the outside). I’m looking for the best way to contain the herbs that tend to self seed so they don’t take over the bed. Easy maintenance of an edible landscape is my goal. Thanks!

5. Richard Bennett on June 27, 2021 at 1:27 am

I’m so confused. I live in 5B and I want to grow things from seed. When do I start? May?

6. Rachael Gueary on June 27, 2021 at 1:32 am

When is a good time to start strawberry plants? Zone 5a

7. Pam Letourneau on June 27, 2021 at 1:32 am

I started my cukes, squash , pumpkin, peppers, toms and much more. Cukes, squash & pumpkin are all ready to plant. If I plant & cover will they survive. I live 15 miles inland from wells beach in Maine, zone 5/6. Can you suggest anything for me to do to save all I’ve done??

8. Hal on June 27, 2021 at 1:33 am

I started my flower seeds indoors under grow lights last week.

9. Deep Space on June 27, 2021 at 1:37 am

I have no idea what zone 5/6 are but I live in Turkey. Can you make some videos for newbs and container gardening? I hate plastics and don’t think that they are healthy can you make a video about container gardening and what can you use that’s not toxic like plastics or something that won’t bleech? I googled but seems nobody cares.

10. ourstoneyacres on June 27, 2021 at 1:40 am

Here is my April Planting Guide for those of you that live in Zones 5 and 6. Thanks for watching and be sure to subscribe!!

11. showercurtainyo on June 27, 2021 at 1:42 am

I didn’t realize that I could wait too long to plant my seeds. It’s still been cold here in zone 6 so I thought I should wait until next week. Seems like I was a month late. So 40° nights is fine for these veggies?

12. Cat&Fish M. on June 27, 2021 at 1:44 am

I’m a zone 6, potato’s are always planted around St. Patrick’s day! Have never waited until April to plant! 👍🏻

13. Ambient Ac on June 27, 2021 at 1:48 am

: )

14. JustBlaccSwann on June 27, 2021 at 1:54 am

Can I put overwintered peppers and tomato seedlings in a greenhouse. I have a cold greenhouse and wondered if I could put my peppers and seedlings in there now (March 6, 2020)? I’m running out of space for my seedlings. lol

15. xuyahfish on June 27, 2021 at 1:56 am

What about eggplant? It takes a long time from germination to fruiting … I got it started at the same time as my peppers & they are about the same size.

16. NubianQueentv on June 27, 2021 at 1:58 am

Tomatoes & Peppers in Walls O Water…. WHAT is a wall o Water???

17. Thunder Rolls Media on June 27, 2021 at 1:59 am

I planted tators March 1 with mulch on top. So far so good. I hope!
    I’ve planted lots of seeds. Cool and warm seeds vegetables, flowers, etc.. #Zone5 #OrdwayColorado.

18. Mayfield Manor on June 27, 2021 at 2:01 am

Thank you for the helpful advice. We need to use our short growing season in Zone 5 as effectively as possible.

19. Grafting Tactick on June 27, 2021 at 2:03 am

Really great content, very informative, thanks for sharing 👍

20. Chad Lawie on June 27, 2021 at 2:07 am

I have strawberries in containers in the ground that I buried last fall. Can I take them out now? I’m barely a zone 6a and it April 2nd…

21. IAmLippu on June 27, 2021 at 2:09 am

I have researched around and the last frost date for Boise, ID (6b zone) I’m seeing April 22 and/or May 7th. If the temperature outside isn’t going to go below 40*F, is it safe to say there will not be anymore frost this Spring? Thanks!

22. Ian Charles on June 27, 2021 at 2:10 am

Thanks for sharing a video that is both informative and succinct. So rare!

23. MrVailtown on June 27, 2021 at 2:12 am

Awe cold frame time

24. Gail Tourgee on June 27, 2021 at 2:15 am

Always full if info! Thank you very much! I am going to check out these WOWs. Hoping they will help with squash. I got over anxious and started seedlings early.

25. o0Avalon0o on June 27, 2021 at 2:15 am

Would some of these zone 5 spring veggies work in pots? I was given 30 separate soccor-ball sized (or 1gal?) Plastic pots. I’m a recently Furloughed Athletic Instructor, so I don’t mind a workout, lol.

26. Lisa L on June 27, 2021 at 2:16 am

You should add eggplant to the list of seeds to start inside. I always start my eggplant when I start my tomatoes and peppers

27. Kris Lange on June 27, 2021 at 2:22 am

We are in SW Missouri (Zone 6B) and Monday night is supposed to be a low of 28 deg. We are in a rural area, so that means it will be colder here, probably around 25 deg. it hit 85 deg. here today. Talk about temp. shock!! I’ve held off planting anything yet because years ago, we had a hard frost in May and had to scramble to save and cover up the tomatoes & peppers, etc. that were planted.

28. oddo pops on June 27, 2021 at 2:22 am