The Internet Lost It's Mind When I Placed Raised Beds Directly on Grass

The Internet Lost It's Mind When I Placed Raised Beds Directly on Grass

You would have thought the world stopped spinning when I installed our raised beds directly on green living grass. The internet lost it’s mind.
Send mail to:
PO box 131
Marysville, MI 48040

450+ varieties of Heirloom & Non-GMO Vegetable seeds .99/pack, fertilizer, garden tools, blog & More: http://www.MIgardener.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MIgardener
Instagram: http://instagram.com/MIgardener
G+: http://plus.google.com/+MIgardener
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/MIgardenerYT/ Twitter: http://twitter.com/MI_gardener
Tumblr: http://tumblr.com/MIgardener Check out our new clothing line! http:www.freshpickedapparel.com

1. Justin Lyle on June 29, 2021 at 1:56 am

I saw this video, figured I’d give it a shot. 9" of soil. I’m currently digging up all my beds and starting over. Maybe I’m just unlucky, with beastly razor grass. FML

2. Evie170 on June 29, 2021 at 1:57 am

I had to put my raised garden beds on cardboard and line them with weed-mats because of kikuyu grass.

3. M J on June 29, 2021 at 1:57 am

I wouldn’t worry about weeds or grass, but isn’t it better for the roots of your vegetables if the ground underneath is cultivated?

4. David Liao on June 29, 2021 at 1:57 am

Thanks a lot for your info.

5. Vicki Charles on June 29, 2021 at 1:59 am

Thank you for all your info AND experience! Honestly, that is how I started all my beds!😄 let them go crazy and do it the hard way. Lol

6. Just Saying on June 29, 2021 at 1:59 am

I’m more shocked that anyone would think grass and weeds would really b e able to traverse through an entire foot of soil. Like, just giving it the eye test and some common sense would dictate that nothing is growing up through that lol.

7. elton cultice on June 29, 2021 at 2:01 am

LOL, yea, they’ll pop up any day now 🙂 Seriously, stop worrying about what SOME people think, your subscriber count tells the true story

8. 305 surfer on June 29, 2021 at 2:01 am

You get way to triggered over peoples comments

9. Mike Ballinger on June 29, 2021 at 2:01 am

I’ve just built a 8ft x 4ft x 400 mm deep vegetable planter so the old grassed area I dug up so does this mean I can flip it over the fill it with top soil 🇬🇧

10. Steve O_O on June 29, 2021 at 2:01 am

But seriously, do you know what your doing???? LOL

11. Sanne Tingley on June 29, 2021 at 2:02 am

What are your recommendations for grass such as zoysia/ st augustine?. I tried placing a bed directly on grass without a barrier and it took over the bed completely. For my other beds I’ve been removing the grass completely and put a weed barrier down and that seems to work.

12. rachf18 on June 29, 2021 at 2:02 am

So glad you posted this! I’ve just built and filled my first raised beds, then suddenly questioned whether I should have cleared the grass first…. was starting to worry I’d need to remove all the soil and start again, but I’m relieved to see such clear evidence that I shouldn’t waste my time! Hoping to start planting in the next week or two 😀

13. Randy Hancks on June 29, 2021 at 2:03 am

that sarcasm when looking at the first bed was freaking awesome!

14. Roma Allen on June 29, 2021 at 2:05 am

Not if you have Bermuda

15. Peter and Nancy Sawyer on June 29, 2021 at 2:05 am

How do you keep the animals out of you gardens!

16. Yaima Argudin on June 29, 2021 at 2:06 am

I wish I would have known as a new gardener that I am, that Bermuda grass is not “City grass” which I thought it was since I do live in the city!!
    I’ve been following and learning from Luke a ton, however I planted 4 garden beds on top of Bermuda grass after watching this video and to say that I’m really thinking about quitting gardening because of this is an understatement!
    PLEASE DO NOT PLANT GARDEN BEDS OVER BERMUDA GRASS!!!!!!!
    I’m not sure what to do I just cannot keep up with the weeding and it’s only the beginning of spring does anyone have any suggestions, like should I remove all the dirt and all the garden beds and start from scratch???

17. Stephanie Vineyard on June 29, 2021 at 2:06 am

I have done that, but I had grass grow into the edges of the bed, like up the side. How do you prevent that?

18. Chuck Taber on June 29, 2021 at 2:07 am

Crabgrass? we did cover ground with cardboard prior to filling the beds. Did this TAKE OVER my beds because my soil wasn’t deep enough in the bed and not mulched deep enough outside the beds? I simply could not keep it at bay when I had my raised beds before. I did not have 1×10 boards, I had 3 stacked landscape timbers. It seemed our constant issue was it creeping in/through the mulched area from the lawn (a southern weed lawn, not manicured sod). I truly want to have a large beautiful urban garden that is actually in my front lawn, but what I did before miserably failed. PLEASE HELP!!! I love your channel so much and desperately want to have a beautiful successful garden to feed and store food for my family.

19. Ima Tugwaddle on June 29, 2021 at 2:07 am

Hey, Luke, you don’t need to justify yourself to anyone. WE LOVE YOU!!!!!

20. Kyle Moseley on June 29, 2021 at 2:09 am

I get violets growing up through about 8 or 9 inches 😭

21. SecondBreakfast on June 29, 2021 at 2:09 am

Alternative Title: Luke gets sassy at uninformed comments.

22. Anna L on June 29, 2021 at 2:10 am

🙏❤️👍

23. Laura Lencioni on June 29, 2021 at 2:10 am

yes, you are qualified!!! I enjoy your videos very much, not a new gardener but I am new to growing in Michigan.

24. DaisiesandRoses on June 29, 2021 at 2:15 am

This information is really helpful for my fruit trees that need more soil around them instead of grass.

25. Amy Snipes on June 29, 2021 at 2:15 am

Sorry, can’t go there. Unfortunately you are too cocky and think you know everything. Good bye.

26. Mike Hurley on June 29, 2021 at 2:16 am

I haven’t had a problem with grass poking through. I have had hostas make it up through ~10in of soil. Apparently I missed one when I tore up the old flower bed.

27. Herger The Joyous! on June 29, 2021 at 2:21 am

I think the only reason I would use weed barrier is to try to keep moles out of my raised beds.

28. Nancy Kski on June 29, 2021 at 2:22 am

I did my raised beds on grass two years ago also no problem

29. Krs Vee on June 29, 2021 at 2:22 am

I guess this doesn’t work with Bermuda? Maybe you mention it but I missed it? So I followed this advice with 4 new beds and a year on I’ve got a real disaster to deal with. Now do I pull all soil out and spend hours weeding and tilling or can I cover it all with thick black plastic and throw away my spring season 🙁

Open to any suggestions

30. M on June 29, 2021 at 2:25 am

It’s all good unless you have violets! Freaking crazy to get rid of

31. Matt on June 29, 2021 at 2:26 am

That was awesome. Subscriber 4 LIFE, bro!!!

32. Andrew Raissis on June 29, 2021 at 2:30 am

I’ve killed grass trying to gently fill low spots on my lawn with a couple inches of top soil, so I believe you hahaha

33. DAB405 on June 29, 2021 at 2:31 am

HOW DO YOU NOT HAVE GRASS IN YOUR RAISED BEDS IF YOU DON’T PUT DOWN CARDBOARD SHEET MULCHING OR NEWSPAPER OR WEED FABRIC? HOWWWW? J/K.

34. Mich T on June 29, 2021 at 2:36 am

Lol my neighbour called me a nut bar when I did the same. He changed his tune later that summer hahaha

35. Felicity Valentyne on June 29, 2021 at 2:39 am

You’re so right in what you say and I love you saying age is just a number. I’m 64 and have been gardening for many years but am starting up a large bed after a long hiatus. I recently moved to a farm which is on solid bedrock hence the need for a raised bed. you only have to be concerned when dealing with invasive grass like kikuyu. Don’t worry about the naysayers at all…you’re doing a great job! After the long period away from veg gardening I feel like a greenie so have devoured all your tutorials and have learned so much from you. Thanks for your passion and commitment and for sharing your knowledge. Happy gardening !!

36. Christine B on June 29, 2021 at 2:40 am

Totally agree. Will the green grass rob anything?

37. Kimberly Rush on June 29, 2021 at 2:40 am

Any tips for creating a raised bed where bamboo has been removed but keeps trying to come back?

38. Cheri Boone on June 29, 2021 at 2:42 am

Tnx for that. I just bought raised and really didn’t want to til! So taking your advice!!

39. melissofiafilms on June 29, 2021 at 2:43 am

Thanks for answering my “beginner gardener”question 🙂

40. Pokemon One on June 29, 2021 at 2:43 am

We just put on the grass too

41. Heather Munson on June 29, 2021 at 2:46 am

Grass and weeds got through mine even though we dug it up 😅 just lucky i guess. Our grass is very aggressive

42. Just Saying on June 29, 2021 at 2:47 am

But have you accounted for the Japanese knot weed?

43. Judy Kurtz on June 29, 2021 at 2:49 am

How do we handle these chipmunks? They are eating my tomato’s and cukes. Any thoughts if I had beds like yours?

44. Betty 1966 on June 29, 2021 at 2:49 am

Some of my beds are 7 inches and no weeds. I plopped them right on top of the grass 💯

45. Sherry Sexton on June 29, 2021 at 2:49 am

What about the grass that puts out runners? How do you control it.?

46. Olivia Cruz on June 29, 2021 at 2:49 am

You really need thicker skin. A whole video on proof and gotcha?!

47. J Johnson on June 29, 2021 at 2:50 am

Luke seems worked up in this video

48. Random User on June 29, 2021 at 2:52 am

Oh yea, he’s going to have a weed problem.

49. Debra Cook on June 29, 2021 at 2:53 am

I shared your video with my husband and he’s been looking at quite a few of them. Young doesn’t matter. Experience matters. Keep on young man.

50. lee stimis on June 29, 2021 at 2:55 am

I just did this myself.
    I live with very red clay soil and I could not see tilling all the grass and picking through it and to top it off it is Saint Augustine, it’s like a vine grass. Plus all that top soil and an biology already that is established would be ruined. I just thought it was a no brainer!!!