DIY Elevated Garden Bed

DIY Elevated Garden Bed

In this video I make a DIY Elevated Garden Bed for the back patio. I wanted to plant some lettuce and a few other herbs and ended up working out perfectly. I used tongue and groove cedar boards to make the outside of the bed, and raised it using 4×4 posts. This was a very simple project that I did in about 2 hours total. I hope you enjoy!
Q & A VIDEO – https://youtu.be/HsuQo2H89ZA

BUILD ARTICLE – https://bit.ly/2W28FFi

Project Resources, materials, and tool links below. These are affiliate links, so they do help me out. Thanks for your support!

————-
OTHER DIY PROJECTS
DIY Hanging Herb Garden

Triangle Shelves

————-
CUT LIST
(4) 4×4 – 30″
(4) 1×6 – 24″
(4) 1×6 – 46.5″
(5) 1×4 – 24″

————-
MATERIALS
– 1×6 cedar boards (tongue and groove paneling)
– 1×4 cedar boards
– 4×4 (cedar if you have access to it)
– 2″ wood screws

Find me around the web!
Website – http://madebymitch.net
Instagram – http://www.instagram.com/made_by_mitch
Twitter – http://www.twitter.com/made_by_mitch

#gardenbed #elevatedgarden #anyonecanmake

1. herbsu43 on June 30, 2021 at 1:48 am

How did you decide on a height and what was it?

2. Chao It's Nancy on June 30, 2021 at 1:49 am

I built this garden bed in my latest video and it’s been holding up quite well! thank you for sharing!

3. Shanta Hsieh on June 30, 2021 at 1:49 am

I was using Stodoys to make it and I did it already 🙂

4. PiperPhil on June 30, 2021 at 1:50 am

I do t believe that is 30” cuts on 4 x 4 is it?!!!

5. Gary Boylan on June 30, 2021 at 1:50 am

Hey. Awesome job! We’re going to be making an elevated garden bed for my Wife’s parents today (Fathers Day gift). My plans look a LOT like your’s, hehe. We just plan on adding some lower raised beds (directly on the ground) on the short sides, and some sort of trellis on the top.

I’m the yard manager for a local lumber mill. I make a LOT of raised beds for customers in the run of a year. Usually, when I’m cutting the corner supports, I’ll make three cuts instead of just two. The first cut is most important to have straight, then as you flip the timber a single side at a time you have the end of the previous cut as a beginning guide for the next cut. Saves a LOT of time marking and lining up the cuts…

Oh, btw…we’re planning on trying a layer of wire, much like you did, but then lining the bottom with a good layer of twigs. Adding wood as filler to the bottom of the bed will not only allow for drainage but allow the wood to soak up some moisture as it decomposes. This moisture will then stay present, and be available to the plants growing in the box, meaning you won’t have to water as frequently. The technical term for this method is ‘hugelkultur’.

6. Orian Grant on June 30, 2021 at 1:53 am

Use burlap coffe bags on the bottom instead of the black tarp stuff

7. Falande Noel on June 30, 2021 at 1:53 am

I will be making this but with wheels! Because I get most sun on the concrete area of my backyard, it will be easy to store it away at the end of the season.

8. iZero 16 on June 30, 2021 at 1:57 am

Can you also make this for garden plants also? Not just for herbs? Im trying to find one to make for my grandma so she doesnt have to plant a garden this year and so it can be easier on her also

9. Izanne Marais on June 30, 2021 at 1:58 am

I have now watched numerous videos and your way of making this bed looks like a way I could do it. I am all for making things easier not more difficult. THANK YOU!

10. shershur on June 30, 2021 at 1:59 am

Where did you get a wood boards with tongue and groove ?

11. JimboJangles on June 30, 2021 at 2:01 am

where can you get the liner and can you use any liner for the garden??

12. Louverture Jones on June 30, 2021 at 2:01 am

Thank you for this! I made raised beds last year that were successful, but, my landlord didn’t want the yard to be damaged by the beds. I needed and alternative and this really helped us!

13. Yvonne on June 30, 2021 at 2:01 am

I love this one!👍💥 Very informative!

14. Drew V on June 30, 2021 at 2:03 am

I wonder if you added pea pebbles about 1/2 in thick on top of the wire if they would allow better drainage than landscaping paper and your soil wouldn’t fall through

15. Brittney Johnson on June 30, 2021 at 2:04 am

@SchizophrenicHippie here is another idea! @NatureDayDream is gonna love it!

16. Bill Stahr on June 30, 2021 at 2:05 am

Mitch. I was a complete novice. I didn’t have any tools at all this time last year. This was the very first project I took on with a borrowed drill and mitre saw. Now I’m making all kinds of stuff and I even make money selling stuff. Thanks for a simple, easy to follow video.

17. Div Sav on June 30, 2021 at 2:05 am

Thank you so much.
    The measures and instructions r perfect. I just finished making this. I m so happy i found the perfect tutorials

18. nic pace on June 30, 2021 at 2:06 am

I have small balcony and only a miter saw yet i am watching this. I just love torturing myself apparently..

19. gamblets on June 30, 2021 at 2:08 am

I lined the bottom of mine with 3 layers of burlap for drainage.

20. Kaitlyn Buenzle on June 30, 2021 at 2:08 am

So easy and great instructions! Definitely check the comments below for sizing

21. Sergio Marrero on June 30, 2021 at 2:10 am

Nice work, just what I needed. Starting mine tomorrow

22. nikki grosklos on June 30, 2021 at 2:10 am

Instead of fabric or heavy rocks, we lined ours with coco fiber, then some torn up extra coco fiber from expired window boxes, some straw, then the potting soil.

23. Helsey Rivera on June 30, 2021 at 2:11 am

Thanks!!! I will build this one. We are renovating the house and my husband threw outside so much wood, I want to recycle it and build elevated garden beds. Thank you so much for this video 🙏😊✌️

24. Dave Whytock on June 30, 2021 at 2:11 am

Thanks for the video!!

25. Ez Pg on June 30, 2021 at 2:12 am

wonderful work! can I use treated lumber ?

26. Val Roberts on June 30, 2021 at 2:13 am

I loved this tutorial ❤

27. bearbon2 on June 30, 2021 at 2:14 am

Thanks for this video. I followed your lead and built the exact same planter except, since it’s so light, I only used 2X4s for legs and they’re fine.

28. shelby kerr on June 30, 2021 at 2:15 am

what’s the dimensions when finished?

29. David Saunders on June 30, 2021 at 2:15 am

Good stuff. Clear and concise. Thanks!

30. Dan on June 30, 2021 at 2:16 am

What were the cut lengths for all the boards? I saw in the comments, the 4×4 were cut at 30 inches. What about the 1×6 and 1×4’s?

31. Alejandra Servin on June 30, 2021 at 2:16 am

What fabric can I buy because there’s many different types

32. Tom tom on June 30, 2021 at 2:18 am

Looks great just in my opinion it will not survive more than one year, And that’s why : The wood you use does not look protected from water and bacteria, In my opinion the pvc sheet should be stuck with pins like the iron mesh, There must be holes for drainage in the bottom of the planter otherwise the water will flood the bottom and cause excess watering… And in my opinion it is better to fill the bottom of the planter with tuff stones and only then planting soil. …

33. Perry Peters on June 30, 2021 at 2:19 am

I have two like this but I notched out the legs so the box sits on top of part of the legs. Much stronger and better design.

34. Mereb Po on June 30, 2021 at 2:20 am

Great idea. Just wondering how the drainage works

35. Courtney Jackson on June 30, 2021 at 2:24 am

Your design was the simplest yet best I’ve seen. No extra just enough. You got a new subby because of this video. Great job!!

36. Korbin Mauger on June 30, 2021 at 2:27 am

should I angle cut the 1×6’s at 45 so they are all flush mount or is that just the builders preference?

37. Jeremiah Smith on June 30, 2021 at 2:27 am

Very simple – thanks for the video. How did this hold up over time? Any issues with the vertical screws in the bottom slats pulling out, since they are supporting the weight of the soil?

38. nikki grosklos on June 30, 2021 at 2:28 am

Great vid! I would like mine to be 6′ x 2′. Do you think I need to do anything else different to the bottom legs for support, or just same directions, longer sides and an extra "floor" board or 2?

39. wilson ledet on June 30, 2021 at 2:30 am

Great video. On my list to do

40. Jodi Garci on June 30, 2021 at 2:31 am

Wow awesome video !!! Simple and straight to the point. I’ll definitely be attempting this !! Thank you for sharing

41. Jose Robles on June 30, 2021 at 2:32 am

Awesome tutorial going to try this!!

42. Mr. B on June 30, 2021 at 2:33 am

Nice video. Uses materials I already have lying around the place. Thanks!

43. no mane Jane on June 30, 2021 at 2:34 am

🪴🪴🪴

44. PiperPhil on June 30, 2021 at 2:34 am

Change your materials list geeez! What a mess! You messed me up! Back to Lowe’s!! This video should be taken down!!!!!!

45. Shantel Guetgen on June 30, 2021 at 2:36 am

I recommend Woodglut to every beginner and not only.

46. Daniel Kirby on June 30, 2021 at 2:42 am

5 minutes and simple. A great stepping off point.

47. Duke Davies on June 30, 2021 at 2:44 am

I’m making this today!! Thanks dude! Good vid!

48. Vanessa Pagán on June 30, 2021 at 2:45 am

Omg I LOVE THIS! I’m SO TRYING THIS. I’ve been searching and searching but they’re all almost too complicated

49. Laurie Webb on June 30, 2021 at 2:46 am

Thank you thank you thank you. Will be making a couple of these

You could char the legs. Like old days. Will be water resistant and last longer.

50. shelley cameron on June 30, 2021 at 2:46 am

What were final costs to mane this ?