Gardening and Landscaping Q and A – Great Questions

Gardening and Landscaping Q and A – Great Questions

Gardening and Landscaping Q and A – Great Questions – In this video I answer gardening questions that I received this week on the channel. I got really good questions this week. Thanks to everyone for participating and Happy Easter.

Jim’s Product Links – https://www.amazon.com/shop/horttubewithjimputnam

Using these Amazon Links to purchase the tools that I use in the videos is a great way to support the channel. Thanks for watching.

Merch – https://teespring.com/stores/horttube-with-jim-putnam

For More Information Visit – www.horttube.com

Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/HortTube/
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/horttube/?hl=en
Twitter https://twitter.com/HortTube

1. Clyde Kingry on June 30, 2021 at 1:38 am

Can’t find pine bark “soil conditioner” locally. Only thing I can find is pine bark mulch and pine bark mini nuggets. Not sure either are composted enough to use to amend this clay soil I have in extreme southeast Alabama. What do you think? Thank you.

2. June Smart on June 30, 2021 at 1:40 am

Great video. I learn something from each of your videos. Today your explanation of not basing drip needs on the driest plant was excellent. It seems like something we all should know, but it had never occurred to me. My water usage should be less this summer!

3. Clovis Haynes on June 30, 2021 at 1:40 am

In your travels, do you come across sugsr apples trees ( green and red) I am looking for locally ( in the US ) grown seeds and twigs for rooting.

4. Mary Whitfield on June 30, 2021 at 1:41 am

Happy Easter.

5. Sandra Smith on June 30, 2021 at 1:41 am

Jim, in Nov we had five Chindo Viburnum planted (8ft apart) we are zone 7a.They did not fair well through the colder months and dropped a large portion of their leaves. They look awful.
    I’m second guessing our decision I’m worried that they will continue to have problems each year and that they will become too large for the area. Thinking to replace them with possibly Blue Point Junipers or something else that won’t require as much maintenance.

6. Vivian Gerard on June 30, 2021 at 1:42 am

where do i buy the buy the soil thermemeter

7. Tim Mathison on June 30, 2021 at 1:43 am

can you address dealing with suckers from mature maple and oak trees… how to remove without injuring the tree?

8. Fred Thornton on June 30, 2021 at 1:44 am

Question?

Hi Jim, thanks for all you do.

I am planting a shrub and small tree garden underneath a grove of pines in the back yard. My soil test results came back with a pH reading of 4.8 and a recommendation of an application of dolomitic lime at 135 pounds per 1000 square feet.

How should I go about applying it, around each plant or broadcast (this would take over a ton)?
    Powdered or pelletized lime?
    How long before it begins to help the plants? I have planted about 40 different plants and some are struggling already.

9. C Olsen on June 30, 2021 at 1:45 am

Thanks for addressing my tree sucker question. I’ll continue my shovel attacks, and am glad to hear the end shouldn’t be too far away.

10. Zain on June 30, 2021 at 1:47 am

The website you mentioned doesnt open up for me

11. Lisa Monn on June 30, 2021 at 1:49 am

I live in zone 9b can I plant peonies, Lili flower and dahlias flower 🌺 can you let me know please.

12. Cat Pem on June 30, 2021 at 1:49 am

What potting mix should I use for potting a small (about 2 feet tall) Crimson Queen Japanese maple tree? Should I mix my own? What about fertilizer?

13. Stacie Maddox on June 30, 2021 at 1:49 am

Question: zone 7; we have a lot of oak trees, nothing will live under them. Hostas, hydrangeas, azaleas, ferns, creeping j, patchysandras, Lilly of the valley, etc… I cannot get anything to live. 🙁 I’m not necessarily looking for flowers with blooms just something to survive. Thanks so much.

14. TurtleLily's Garden on June 30, 2021 at 1:51 am

I planted a beautyberry in one of my beds last year. It is leafing out on a few low branches but nothing at the top. Should I cut it back, wait till later to see what happens or take it out and try something else?

15. David Christopher on June 30, 2021 at 1:52 am

Jim, great video…….I live in Pensacola Fl ( sandy soil ) when planting do I need to leave the root ball inches above the ground ( like in your videos ) or do I plant with root ball level with the ground ?

16. D. Fras on June 30, 2021 at 1:54 am

I want to see some big cacti growing on the side of a mountain in Arizona.

17. Garden Doodles on June 30, 2021 at 1:56 am

Looking forward to seeing you on the road and in our area.

18. Zil Senczy on June 30, 2021 at 1:58 am

I live in a new development that is very very windy. Is there any trees or tall bushes that would help diffuse the wind?

19. Fart God on June 30, 2021 at 1:58 am

Average frost free date was last week. Guess who has a chance of snow next week. 🙁

20. Sara W on June 30, 2021 at 1:59 am

Jim, the Mastergardeners of Carteret County do an annual public lecture (always in February) featuring a guest speaker and various topics. Do you speak at events such as this?

21. Marcia Chandler on June 30, 2021 at 1:59 am

Hi Jim, I’m a new subscriber and have been enjoying going back and catching up. In this crazy time we’re in have not been comfortable visiting garden centers so ordered 2 Crimson Fire Loropetalum shrubs online. They arrived very stressed (loose in pots, broken branches, etc). Is it best to get them in the ground or should put them somewhere sheltered, prune broken branches? Your advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

22. Anita Hadley on June 30, 2021 at 2:00 am

I just wanted to mention that the wilted hydrangeas don’t always mean they need more water. Mine will wilt in the heat of the summer and if I checked the soil they still had moist soil. So it may be the sun causing the wilt. I had to add shade cloth last year because of how hot it got.

23. Colleen van de Kraats on June 30, 2021 at 2:00 am

Good morning Jim! I just discovered you this morning and I’m so happy!!! We moved to Middle TN about 3 1/2 yrs ago from No. CA It’s been a challenge learning our new zone (7a). I’m dealing with large slabs of limestone of various thickness throughout our yard. We live on a corner and I’m trying to establish some privacy for the backyard, I do my research and buy accordingly but it’s costing a fortune to find trees that will work. I’ve lost 2 Tulip Poplars, a River Birch and a redbud. We do not have irrigation in the back and I’m doing my best watering by hand, last summer I really think was disastrous due to the heat and drought. All that to ask what trees tolerate the rocky conditions here? Thanks so much for your channel and sharing your experience. God bless your day.

24. Elizabethb on June 30, 2021 at 2:02 am

Jim, can’t wait for you and your son to start your garden adventure! What a great idea to share amazing gardens in various states with your viewers. Happy Easter to you and your family🌷

25. Adam Kubiak on June 30, 2021 at 2:05 am

I had a question about your propagation series. You have said multiple times that you want your plants to be able to go dormant my question is why and if I was to keep it in a heated greenhouse what would be the down side of that. Thank you and I hope you do another propagation series

26. Allyssa Schneider on June 30, 2021 at 2:06 am

You said you plan on going to all 48 States. I assume you mean the 48 contiguous states. I don’t know much about Alaska but I’m from Hawaii and highly recommend you check it out as well!🌺

27. TurtleLily's Garden on June 30, 2021 at 2:07 am

Why don’t you elevate the japanese maple in the decorative pot? (not a criticism just trying to learn)

28. Richard Stansfield on June 30, 2021 at 2:10 am

I had no idea about the pots on mulch problem I have a dozen acers in pots sat on mulch which I will now move thanks Jim 👍

29. Kathryn Lee on June 30, 2021 at 2:11 am

I planted a Chinese Blue Wisteria Tree and since it’s trunk was pencil thin I had to stake it. How long would you leave it staked?

30. Gardening Junkie on June 30, 2021 at 2:11 am

Bonide makes a product called Sucker Punch that is used to prevent new suckers from sprouting after pruning. This is especially helpful when pruning something like magnolias.

31. cte mem on June 30, 2021 at 2:12 am

Could you give me some ideas for a narrow flower bed that gets only a bit of morning sun in the summertime but gets enough sun in winter and spring for pansies to do great. I’ve tried sun perennials but don’t think they have enough sun so they haven’t done well. Thanks!

32. D. Fras on June 30, 2021 at 2:16 am

Jim if I may ask a question please? I been wanting to do a "desert southwest" kind of theme/feel where I have cactus and California Poppy. but what I really want is something kind of medium to large that draws your attention. I also live in zone 7 over here in Hickory NC but finding all kinds of cactus that won’t survive our winter. I’d like to have a Blue Agave or something like that but all I can find is very small Cacti that would work in this zone and I may get some of those to but looking for a center piece. If you know of one I can leave in the garden all year please let me. thanks for your time bro!

33. Julie H on June 30, 2021 at 2:17 am

Oh, the countrywide tour sounds amazing!!

34. Tia Patrick on June 30, 2021 at 2:17 am

Jim, I found your channel about a year ago and have loved it! I’m a novice gardener but am passionate about it. I have a couple questions, I’m in zone 7b/8a (A Carolina girl now in Memphis), first; I have a viburnum (Japanese) that is 3 years old. It’s already about 8 feet tall but I planted it too close to our house and now need to move it. When and how do I move it for best success. Second; I have used weed fabric to start some new beds. One bed in particular is very clay soil. How and when should I go back and remove the fabric and start to amend the soil? Thank you.

35. Meredith on June 30, 2021 at 2:19 am

I feel the same way concerning Wisteria as you describe Porcelain Berry. I rid my yard of it but it sneaks under the fence from each of my neighbors. I cut it back constantly – it’s my nemesis! It looks pretty and smells great for one week and then is a thug, totally not worth it. Sorry, don’t mean to complain, haha. Love your videos and Instagram photos! Enjoying the transformation.

36. Mike Arnold on June 30, 2021 at 2:20 am

Hope your travel plans come to fruition…especially out here in Arizona (beautiful Prescott)

37. The Harrington's on June 30, 2021 at 2:24 am

Jim thanks for all the always wonderful information im in the piedmont of nc west of you around 3 to 4 hours its nice to have someone from nc that understands gardening in this horrible clay we have here thanks again for the info keep the videos coming

38. Larry Olson on June 30, 2021 at 2:24 am

Sweetgum suckers keep coming back for a couple of years being mowed down periodically. Keep em cut.

39. Elizabeth Heard on June 30, 2021 at 2:26 am

I have a 20 year old gardenia that is leggy and has been pruned into a box shape. I want to bring it back if possible. How and when should I prune it.

40. Elizabeth Myers on June 30, 2021 at 2:28 am

I’m in the Seattle area (Zone 8B) and would like to put a Japanese Maple in a pot on my deck. Could I leave a Coral Bark Maple in a pot indefinitely if I kept changing the soil every year? I have one in my front yard and it’s growing slowly and doesn’t look like it will get to be very large so I would like to add one to the deck if possible. Thanks!

41. james robbins on June 30, 2021 at 2:29 am

We did and shadow box fence I love it. I like the way light plays in it. We left gaps to give semi privacy and yet remains inviting. Look forward to what you do. Ps you plans to visit gardens sounds awesome. When you come to Winston-Salem you have you let us know.😎

42. saunge72 on June 30, 2021 at 2:29 am

Hopefully someday on your travels you will get to Long Island NY! Going to your website now. Thanks for another great video ❤️

43. Wil Lyons on June 30, 2021 at 2:30 am

Even in zone 6, Dogwoods can have some problems in full sun. While they have not shown any problems, the back is getting some sun scald and exfoliating its bark. While the tree doesn’t seem to be in danger it doesn’t look as pretty.

44. Jon Crunk on June 30, 2021 at 2:32 am

Do you miss sitting on the porch swing like at the old house? Maybe you could put one out there so we can still see that sweet girl 🐾 do her usual investigating 😊

45. MrM 2112 on June 30, 2021 at 2:34 am

I’m in the middle of moving/“remodeling” my landscape. I dug up a blue Hydrangea and it seemed to divided itself into three… is this normal?

46. FantsEPants on June 30, 2021 at 2:34 am

Thanks for your entire channel! I have more of a lawn care question. My entire back lawn is almost just dandelions, and I own 2 dogs. Is my best path forward to use a sod cutter on it and then lay down sod?

47. Ibis333 on June 30, 2021 at 2:34 am

Here’s my question: I had to take out 2 ash trees last fall but left the stumps which I’m planning to hollow out and convert to planters for some annuals (currently growing Phlox drummondii and Callistephus chinensis from seed for the first try). What kind of soil should I be planning to use (and can I use the same for a separate container of sweet peas I’m also planning to set up)? Is there anything else I should be putting in there or doing to prepare the stumps for their new purpose? I’m in US hardiness zone 4b I think (Canadian zone 5b). I think both stumps will be in part shade, but I’m not exactly sure since those ash trees were huge and shaded the whole area.

48. Nancy Laura on June 30, 2021 at 2:35 am

Good morning Jim!! Which hydrangeas do the best in a mostly sunny area? Love your videos!!💕

49. D. Fras on June 30, 2021 at 2:35 am

That’s a cool idea going around across the nation. Arizona? I can’t wait! I like that western style.