make Thin CSA Concrete Garden Boxes PART 4 – cast garden forms

make Thin CSA Concrete Garden Boxes PART 4 – cast garden forms

Make your own Thin, Lightweight CSA Concrete Garden Boxes! Build the forms and cast your own reinforced high strength concrete panels that join together to make long lasting and durable garden boxes. I’ll make a thinner, stronger, lightweight concrete panel for my garden from CSA Concrete. This is Part 4 of the series.

SUBSCRIBE: https://www.youtube.com/c/MANaboutTOOLS?sub_confirmation=1

GARDEN BOX PLANS: https://manabouttools.com/concrete-garden-box-panels-version-iii-digital-plan/
GLASS FIBER : https://amzn.to/304A0qO
DIGITAL SCALE: https://amzn.to/2Xlj7ej

BLOG POST and SUPPLIES, HARDWARE, and TOOLS for this project (affiliate links)

TOOLS I USE: https://manabouttools.com/tools-i-use/

My VIDEO GEAR: https://manabouttools.com/tools-i-use/ (affiliate links)

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/manabouttools/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/manabouttools
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/manabouttools
Website: https://MANaboutTOOLS.com
Patreon: http://www.patreon.com/manabouttools

DISCLAIMERS:
Some of these links have an affiliate code, if you purchase tools with these links I will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! The tools or equipment seen in this video and have been purchased ourselves.
#csaconcrete #concrete #thinconcrete

1. Kevin Sanders MD on July 4, 2021 at 2:10 am

Best Raised Garden Boxes ever !!!

2. Ron F on July 4, 2021 at 2:11 am

How are they holding up after a year?

3. delaguitara on July 4, 2021 at 2:14 am

I just want to tell you that watching your clips instills my hope in humanity. Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge. Very much appreciated mate!!! Keep´em coming please. Two thumbs up, five stars and one very big high five! 🙂 *****

4. mike johnson on July 4, 2021 at 2:15 am

MT, in all seriousness, how long did cedar wood planters last? Not that this a bad idea. Buuuuut…

5. Dave Davies on July 4, 2021 at 2:17 am

You have done a great job on your videos. I think I’m going to try to make a couple of sets of molds for my front flower beds. I really like the look of wood so I think that I will try to use a torch and burn the wood then wire brush it to highlight the wood grain. keep up the videos. I love them.

6. G Wolf on July 4, 2021 at 2:17 am

Excellent project. Nice work!

7. Backyard Gardening & Cooking on July 4, 2021 at 2:18 am

These look great. I don’t have the tools to do a project like this but maybe one day. For now I just make simple wood and brick beds.

8. Steve Spevak on July 4, 2021 at 2:19 am

Is the concrete mix lighter or are the panels just lighter because you use less materail?

9. Jeff Hosterman on July 4, 2021 at 2:19 am

How did the cost compare? How much for a 36” and 48” section, not including the form?

10. Tom Cool on July 4, 2021 at 2:20 am

Use more glass fiber and no steel wire screen. It is cheaper.

11. ScottyDo on July 4, 2021 at 2:21 am

Any chance you have made, or will make a frame "cap" for these panels? Cheers!

12. Lucas Pingret on July 4, 2021 at 2:21 am

o reforço das hastes de PVC foram abandonadas….

13. Joe Brewer on July 4, 2021 at 2:24 am

So how do the various panels hold up to the freeze thaw cycles of winter, does the dirt inside expand and crack the panels? Thin one especially? Where are you located, what type of winter do you experience?

14. Penguin Pie on July 4, 2021 at 2:25 am

thank you for including both metric and imperial measurements.

15. Krzysztof Rudnicki on July 4, 2021 at 2:25 am

I wonder how to make a silicon form for this concrete boards.

16. Uke On Demand on July 4, 2021 at 2:25 am

Thank you for your video! Quick question: I saw that you used Rapid Set Mortar Mix, do you know if other mortar mixes would work? My local hardware store has Quikrete, Sakrete, and Amerimix Type-S and Type-N mortar mixes for much cheaper – do you think those would work? Thank you!

17. David VR Rampaul on July 4, 2021 at 2:28 am

I know u did these out of csa but let’s say you don’t have all the additional ingredients and only Portland cement. To get outside strength ,can u first pour some slurry with glass fibers to make a thin coat and then add some aircrete on top of that to make it lighter?

18. Cooking with Yarda on July 4, 2021 at 2:29 am

Great video, thank you !!

19. Al Burmaster on July 4, 2021 at 2:32 am

Awesome, I wonder how would it have worked if you added the foam? I need lighter but can’t do thinner to save the weight

20. Lucas Pingret on July 4, 2021 at 2:32 am

maravilha, com essa última formulação de concreto, poderás fazer moldes para casa de cachorro, galinheiro, caixa de correio, lamparinas de jardins estilo japonês e tantos outros artefatos, brilhante ideia parabéns….repito o reforço de arame da junção é importante para a rigidez da conexão das paredes, que sofrerão torção.

21. Александр А on July 4, 2021 at 2:33 am

Thanks, very interesting. What is the best lineup for you?

22. Paul Vandenberg on July 4, 2021 at 2:33 am

Carriage bolts make nice pins if moving is in the future.

23. Brad Andrews on July 4, 2021 at 2:34 am

It would be nice to know the stability and durability of the lighter ones versus the first set. I like lighter, but I am not going to be moving these much, so the first heavier ones, with the newer forms, seems much easier/simpler.

You may have covered the difference with so many 3.X videos, I only watched the first couple.

24. John Woodhouse on July 4, 2021 at 2:37 am

I’m starting my local garden subscription biz this would help me earn more besides planting the vegetable gardens while it’s cold here in my garage!

25. rksando1 on July 4, 2021 at 2:37 am

Sounded like a great idea till I saw that Home Depot wants $18 for a 55# sack that yields .5 ft3
    The CTS website shows 6500psi compressive and 550psi shear strength at 28 days.

Sakrete Maximizer mix at Lowes is $8.48 for an 80#sack that yields 1.0 ft3
    Compressive strength is 5500psi but I couldn’t find the shear strength.

26. Enrique Garcia Cota on July 4, 2021 at 2:38 am

Thank you for adding metric in addition to imperial units. Another very interesting video!

27. james calvin on July 4, 2021 at 2:40 am

Well done on presentation and instructions. I wonder if these would work well building a 3-4ft retaining wall. I like the design and especially the ‘locking’ design. Do you think there would be a need for mortar between the stacks?

28. Douglas Fuqua on July 4, 2021 at 2:40 am

CSA…typo…

29. James Shang on July 4, 2021 at 2:46 am

It’s very nice to watch the all part 1~4. Great work!
    Just a thought, what happen if we mix cement with saw dust? it’s lighter and cheaper

30. Boots on July 4, 2021 at 2:46 am

I don’t know about CSA, however you might want to get a $10 kiddie pool. Fill with water and let your blocks set in there for a week or 2 to cure. Your v2 are 40% lighter, but also thinner so not exactly apple to apple comparison.
    Would have been interesting to see these made with air or foam crete. Nice job, subbed!

31. seadogg1979 on July 4, 2021 at 2:47 am

how did the CSA mortor mix hold up to the weed trimmer up against it??? also it would look really cool to make multiple vertical inset instead of 1 horizontal. just an idea.

32. Teal Kerberus on July 4, 2021 at 2:48 am

I’m curious – how many times can you wind those screws in and out of your timber before the timber starts to fall apart? When I was making concrete forms, I used bolts and nuts… now wondering if that was over-engineering or just forethought.

33. seadogg1979 on July 4, 2021 at 2:48 am

u could thread the top of the post and screw a cap or door knob for easy removal of the post and for additional decorative look also it would provide a seal to keep water out maybe a thin gasket time material in the corners and if plans to make multi level boxes… very nice job on all of these. definately think the csa mortor mix is the way to go. you could use mortor coloring mix also. excellant work.

34. Timothy Keith on July 4, 2021 at 2:49 am

I like these. I’d like a similar linear box without full height end pieces on each segment – a divider only about half height – to keep the sides from spreading. These should last for years and years! I also might have holes on the end pieces for a root level drip system. I could use mulch around the plants then plastic sheeting, with the irrigation at root level. Here in South Texas planter boxes get so hot that they can quickly dry out.

35. Vernonia Springs on July 4, 2021 at 2:49 am

Can I buy 4 foot forms from you?

36. Mark M on July 4, 2021 at 2:50 am

What is the cost difference versus the Portland cement version?

37. Douglas Fuqua on July 4, 2021 at 2:50 am

#1, 2 and 3 are great info/how to’s. Was wondering when you’d do CFA. I like the aircrete, too…with mods and surfacing, could be my answer. Thanks for all you do…keep ’em coming. (Doug…sub’d, likes, and bell notifications.).

38. Taher Algerafee on July 4, 2021 at 2:51 am

Can i use the same idea of building House or wall

39. billy19461 on July 4, 2021 at 2:53 am

I have got to try this!

40. TopSecretG on July 4, 2021 at 2:54 am

Use butterfly nuts with inlay washers that are inbeded into the wood with a router. Glue the washer into that cubby and you will have a more long term solution.

41. Steve Spevak on July 4, 2021 at 2:54 am

I meant to say material

42. Bret Burt on July 4, 2021 at 2:55 am

Love Rapid Set Mortar Mix – everything except for the price. Unless your budget is pretty big, it would cost less to hire the local teenager (or your spouse) to help you move the heavier pieces with the original design. But…that doesn’t take into account how fast the process is with using this mix. Turnover rate (pour to taking out of the forms). Time vs. Cost is always a consideration. If it matters to you, it also produces a smoother finish due to being able to make the mix much thinner (a water like consistency will have less air voids.

43. John Woodhouse on July 4, 2021 at 2:56 am

You should add a.colloring agent and do you have a plan for a bottom on a small planter?

44. David Garcia on July 4, 2021 at 2:58 am

A plasticizers seems to be a powerful tool for concrete design in molding

45. Marc Soubliere on July 4, 2021 at 2:58 am

After pricing out the planter bricks, and alternatives, I thought why not cast some concrete forms. As with most of my ideas, the Web gods have provided the tube for guidance. And here your are. Have not decided exactly how to approach this yet, but thank you. If you ever go the Jim Manson route of providing forms, let me know. Vacuum formed forms maybe?

46. Raul Cisneros on July 4, 2021 at 3:01 am

Awesome. I’ve been looking for something like this because I knew wood would not last. Great videos. Thank you very much for sharing your God give talent. May God continue to bless you with many blessings.

47. Stuart Kalar on July 4, 2021 at 3:02 am

Just wondering what your thoughts would be on aircrete? Maybe the finish wouldn’t be so nice

48. John P on July 4, 2021 at 3:04 am

Finally got to getting these poured … Had the forms built for some time but you know "Life" gets in the way … Everything went pretty smoothly except that now 4 hours later and I am just about dry enough to run the edging tool around them … Why is this drying so slow … Today was partly cloudy, 78 or so degrees and low humidity, 48% … I followed all your measurement exactly … Even the bit I had left over that I poured out on the bag to dry so I could throw it away is still wet … Just don"t know .. Any Ideas … Thanks JohnP.

49. chris baker on July 4, 2021 at 3:06 am

I love your videos and your demeanor.
    I have a question. I see you sell the plans to make the boxes. But do you sell or would you sell the molds already made? Because I would be interested in buying them. Thanks

50. ROBS on July 4, 2021 at 3:07 am