Top 8 Vegetables You Can Easily Grow in 100+ Degree Hot Summers

Top 8 Vegetables You Can Easily Grow in 100+ Degree Hot Summers

John from http://www.growingyourgreens.com/ shares with you his top 8 favorite edible plants that he grew this summer with average temperatures of 100 degrees over the entire summer.

In this episode, John will take you around his backyard raised bed desert garden and share with you many fruiting crops, leafy green crops and even a tuber crop that can easily thrive in 100+ degree weather.

After watching this episode, you will learn some of the most heat tolerant vegetables and varieties you will want to grow in the hot summer or if you have high temperatures for sustained peroids of time.

While I do cover the varieties that perform well in the heat for me, this also takes into consideration my other gardening practices that are critical for your success in these extreme conditions:
1. proper watering
2. growing in high quality soil including rock dust, worm castings, compost with compost tea added. Healthier plants are more tolerant of external stressors (bugs, disease, weather, sun, etc)

Suscribe to GrowingYourGreens for more videos like this:

Follow John on Instagram at:

1. Susan Brandt on July 4, 2021 at 2:00 am

Perfect video for 2020 in Northern Indiana. We’ve been way above normal temperatures. Thanks

2. Maggie Caneng on July 4, 2021 at 2:00 am

"It was actually here before the whiteman came!" 😂 here in 2020 trying to garden and be an activist so I appreciate this lil tid bit.

3. jessica bainter on July 4, 2021 at 2:01 am

I am in Tucson and I worry about putting mulch all over, because we get termites on the ground and always have to spray. Need ideas for that. I wanna.stop spraying to grow edible yard, but cant put any wood mulch everywhere

4. phpamb on July 4, 2021 at 2:02 am

So crude. Why in a garden video you have to talk filthy.? Hope I do not see your videos again.

5. Vicki Cade on July 4, 2021 at 2:03 am

How do I keep my soil from getting so hot? I’m in Phoenix and when I push my hand deep into my soul it’s very hot.

6. Mervyn Beamish on July 4, 2021 at 2:09 am

My garden is against a sheet metal fence which gets hot in the summer, any suggestions on how to protect the plant from the heat? The plants are shaded from the direct sun but the other side of the fence is not.

7. L Burg on July 4, 2021 at 2:09 am

Thank you for growing edible hibiscus. I have seeds and want to start it in July. You can cook the leaves with water in microwave and purée. Makes great condiment for fish – thanks West Africa!

8. oakanna on July 4, 2021 at 2:10 am

Living in SWFL, it’s so hard to find any edibles I can grow year-round, and with climate change, it’s only getting harder… But this video is such a life-saver, and gives me a lot of hope!!

9. Justine Eliza on July 4, 2021 at 2:10 am

You have such good energy. Always love your videos, bud!

10. Always Be Prepared With Jeff on July 4, 2021 at 2:11 am

Thanks Again For Sharing Your Garden Here On YouTube

11. Vera on July 4, 2021 at 2:12 am

Okra? I cannot kill okra even if I tried (which I never would). Slowly, over the last 5 years, I have been adding more okra (from one packet of seeds) to where one day I hope to have an okra grove. Some call me crazy, some say sunflowers? I say OKRA.

12. Nohora Sims on July 4, 2021 at 2:16 am

Texas? Zone.

13. Mark Davidson on July 4, 2021 at 2:18 am

I grew sweet potatoes in Palm Springs and it was mad productive with zero work except watering. Made a brilliant ground cover and delivered endless potatoes.

14. Thomas Stallings on July 4, 2021 at 2:18 am

Looked like a purple pot 🍃 leaf

15. austin thaijam on July 4, 2021 at 2:18 am

i appreciate that you have an opinion

16. Divka Gamer on July 4, 2021 at 2:19 am

I love when he giggles at himself.

17. Amy Hoang on July 4, 2021 at 2:20 am

Wow, I didn’t know the Surinam Spinach is edible. I saw it many years ago on top of someone’s wall and used to admire its colorful fruits but though it was just some kind of weed. Just found out that it is also called Surinam Purslane. I have been searching for it here and so glad to see it being identified here in your video.

18. SaveTheWorldRadio on July 4, 2021 at 2:21 am

This dude does weed

19. Cheryl Bishop on July 4, 2021 at 2:21 am

Please thumbs up if you will join us on ( Wednesday’s corporat fast 1 day 1 meal ) breakfast, lunch or dinner – fasting & prayer for Israel, America and your Country if not here. There’s power in #’s Please join, GOD bless your gardens. Very important for this time in our World. GOD Bless from Christmas Valley Oregon, High desert. Just learning to grow here. Hot, very cold & very windy weather all in the same day, ice in July.

20. Senecio haworthii on July 4, 2021 at 2:22 am

I can’t understand it but malabar spinach seems to hate my yard. It will only grow a couple of feet tall before it stops growing and goes to seed. I’m in Saint Petersburg Florida, USDA zone 10a. 95F days, 85F nights.

21. Jonnie King on July 4, 2021 at 2:22 am

i love how you mentioned Armenian cucumbers! they are by far the BEST cucumber breed out there and not enough people grow them!

22. Krispywho on July 4, 2021 at 2:23 am

You put my garden to shame. But it’s my first year. Keep up the great content

23. Grafting Tactick on July 4, 2021 at 2:24 am

M..A..G..N..I..F..I..C..I..E..N..T video, beautiful garden

24. Virginia Schirmer on July 4, 2021 at 2:24 am

John: I am new to gardening. My dad had the green thumb and I have a black thumb ( what ever I plant it grows a little than dries on me). I bought starter swiss chard, and and I started spinach by seeds. Do you, or can you eat them as they grow up and get bigger and fuller, or do you have to wait for them to stop growing.

25. Aubrey Bryant on July 4, 2021 at 2:25 am

"What kind of black foods are there?" Well, there’s fried chicken, cornbread, collard greens, pig’s feet…

26. Daniel J Bieniek on July 4, 2021 at 2:25 am

This guy is awesome. Makes having fun and working out while gardening. Go ahead and cancel your subscription to LA Fitness club and get your subscription with this guy. Very informative and very simple in doing anything that pertains to gardening. Doing and listening to exactly he says and does ,heck you can’t go wrong.. way to go your the greatest……. Thanks……from Danny Los Angeles California gardener here. I love seeing all your videos. Thanks again

27. Darrell Blair on July 4, 2021 at 2:27 am

Great video EXCEPT for the comment about animal fat being bad. Research KETO. Carbs, sugars, and VEGATABLE oils are the enemy that produces BAD cholesterol. Otherwise, 👍 up to your video.

28. Sarah Caruso on July 4, 2021 at 2:27 am

Omg I thought malabar spinach berries were poisonous!???? No?

29. Jesus Hernandez on July 4, 2021 at 2:28 am

You are excellent dude

30. Connie Padilla on July 4, 2021 at 2:28 am

Have not heard.of any of these plants but you did give me an idea peppers and cucumbers thanks

31. Aubrey Bryant on July 4, 2021 at 2:28 am

"Now ladies, I’m like almost six feet tall." John, this isn’t Tinder. LOL

32. Randy Alvarez on July 4, 2021 at 2:29 am

100% convinced my mans got the herbs

33. Alicia Alfonso on July 4, 2021 at 2:30 am

aromatic floral and citris notes ps thanks for everything

34. H DB on July 4, 2021 at 2:32 am

We don’t call it Malabar spinach. It’s is found in abundance in our village. We eat the stems too along with leaves and fruits

35. Victor Jones on July 4, 2021 at 2:32 am

This guy is funny

36. Renee Brown on July 4, 2021 at 2:33 am

In California maybe. It’s not quite 100° here in Alabama. But our heat index is 112° and most every thing wilts. Our cucumbers are mostly dead and even our tomatoes are just not doing as good as in June.

37. Lydia O on July 4, 2021 at 2:38 am

I always learn something new with your videos. Thank you!

38. boineelo namson on July 4, 2021 at 2:40 am

which chemical to use rape tomatoes

39. 1-800- GRAMPS on July 4, 2021 at 2:44 am

Now ladies I’m like 6 ft tall

40. khan dam on July 4, 2021 at 2:44 am

awesome. add lambsQuarters, a nice weed that is a leafy veggie that grows easily in the heat of summer.

41. Mad MartAgain on July 4, 2021 at 2:47 am

7:10 You are hilarious. This shit is damn good. So grow it. Lol. Well you have ne convinced. I’m ordering the seeds asap. Thanks again 😎✌

42. Morad Tabbicca on July 4, 2021 at 2:48 am

What you call Surinam spinach is called Bokoboko in Ghana. It’s considered an invasive plant that keeps popping up in people’s gardens. I feed my rabbits with it.

43. Patrick Wingard on July 4, 2021 at 2:48 am

Crumblejon. Kenshi.

44. Violeta Corpus on July 4, 2021 at 2:50 am

Where can we buy purple malabar?

45. Lizzy L on July 4, 2021 at 2:51 am

Thank you so much! I am looking what to grow in the summer heat. I have my squash and cucumbers.growing right now. They are doing great . However, we are about to hit triple digits..So I am looking for what to grow next. I’m going to try to grow your tips: Malabar spinach, more peppers, and the Armenian cucumbers. Your garden looks great! Thank you for sharing!

46. Catrina Wallis on July 4, 2021 at 2:54 am

Where do you get your seeds? I live in north central Texas so it gets very hot 🥵 and I would love to grow these vegetables. Thx, Cathy

47. Joanna Julep on July 4, 2021 at 2:57 am

“I’m not a fro fro gourmet chef or whatever lol”
    *me sitting here, understanding the flavor overtones he’s talking about because I am a fro fro gourmet chef* yes

48. onemeditation music on July 4, 2021 at 2:58 am

Organic vegetable 50% Discount- oneganga.blogspot.com

49. Mike Hoont on July 4, 2021 at 2:58 am

Tree collards are dead from heat, but the video title

50. Michelle Harry on July 4, 2021 at 2:59 am

I want to testify to you all how my hotness of womb was cure by Dr iyare, I have been married since 2017 without a child we have run all manna of test without detecting anything I have gone to so many places without solution, but one day I was just discussing with my colleague in the office and I now told her what I have been passing through in my marriage, and she now introduced me to a herbal doctor called Dr iyare and my life got transformed in that same month I got pregnant to the glory of God iam a mother of a baby boy, thanks to Dr iyare nothing is impossible if you believe you can reach him on call/ WhatsApp +2348034268578 or email;dr.iyaresolutioncentre1@gmail.com for your own cure, he also specialize in treating all kinds of illness, HERPES VIRUS, HEPATITIS B, BRAIN DISEASE, INFERTILITY, DIABETES, PID, FALLOPIAN TUBE, BLOCKAGE, fIBROID, EX BACK STAPHYLOCOCCUS AND MANY MORE