Coral Gardening: Frontline in the Battle Against Climate Change | Dr Austin Bowden-Kerby | TEDxSuva

Austin is one of the worlds first pioneers in ‘Coral Gardening’. He is a leading expert in the most effective ways to restore coral degradation on reefs in the Caribbean and Pacific and incredibly passionate about the important role coral reefs play for our entire planet.

Austin’s talk locates coral reefs at the frontline in the battle against the effects of climate change. He argues our reefs are the most sensitive system to its effects so if we can save the reefs we can save the planet.

Dr Austin Bowden-Kerby is recognised as one of the worlds pioneers of ‘Coral Gardening’. He has spent many years providing community workshops and establishing coral nurseries across the Pacific and Caribbean.

Raised in the Pacific, Austin has been married for 36 years and has four children and six grandchildren. A Fiji citizen, he operates a 37 acre permaculture farm and hatchery for climate adapted chickens and runs a small not-for-profit organisation in Fiji called ‘SELF: Sustainable Environmental Livelihoods for the Future’. SELF works with communities on coral restoration, coral reef management, the promotion of free range chickens as alternative protein to fish to support no-fishing areas.

Austin’s work has been the focus of three BBC TV documentaries. He is also winner of the prestigious National Geographic Ashoka Changemakers Award for the Environment in 2011.

This talk was given at a TEDx event using the TED conference format but independently organized by a local community. Learn more at http://ted.com/tedx

1. masha feterman on July 8, 2021 at 2:01 am

Hallo Austin
    I am very interested in becoming a coral gardener,teacher ,etc… I am a diver, and a long distant Swimer on the ocean ,the ocean is my temple,my healing room and will love very much to help heal it and we need a campaign to stop radiation from electric companies as well
    So please take me on board my contact number is 305 842 0152 .Blessings 🙏🌞

2. Mellow on July 8, 2021 at 2:05 am

WONDERFUL!

3. Adi Pranata Sopyan on July 8, 2021 at 2:10 am

Awesome Mr. Austin..

4. SELF on a SHELF - Book Club on July 8, 2021 at 2:10 am

WE MUST MUST STOP ANY SNORKELING & DIVING & BOATING , CRUISE SHIPS… WE MUST NOT LET THIS CONTINUE… ACT

5. Adam Guilette on July 8, 2021 at 2:10 am

Hello Austin, I am currently studying Marine Science in Suva, Fiji. I have been doing a lot of research here. I was wondering if there was any way you could contact me as I am suppper interested in coral farming. I have a resort on Mana Island that would support me and I could regrow the reef here. Please contact me with any information you can provide on how to start.

6. toaster on July 8, 2021 at 2:27 am

Epic moment

7. Flaming Iron on July 8, 2021 at 2:30 am

Great video!

8. Ana Patelesio on July 8, 2021 at 2:34 am

Dear Sir, I am absolutely awake and wanting to be a coral gardener my back yard is a lagoon. I started planting last year mid and I see the growth, 😂 I don’t really know what I’m doing but doing it anyway! Would love some advice I see the pain our coral Nation is going through I’m located back to my home land of Nukunonu Tokelau Island 🌴 please and thank you 😊

9. Divin Dawn on July 8, 2021 at 2:35 am

This is a great talk to show to hotel / resort conferences or directly to resort managers as motivation to start coral gardening programs. Have you returned to Micronesia? I work in Palau and will spread the word!

10. Austin 217 on July 8, 2021 at 2:40 am

Hello Austin, I saw your ted talk on coral gardening and have become totally inspired! I had already planned to build a world cruising catamaran, but my goals have changed from cruising to saving and rebuilding thanks to you. What I would like to do, with the proper guidance, is custom build my boat to accommodate mobile coral gardening. My dream is to cruise the world’s oceans planting coral reefs and educating locals on how to do the same. What I lack is the knowledge and training needed to grow coral. How can I get involved with your organization to help save our oceans?

11. S Pol on July 8, 2021 at 2:42 am

since i was born the eart was in "crses" Stop crises mongering. What about the ww2 and the Iraqui war. All those bombs cause heat release and crises. Make them stop.

12. Cresantia F. Koya on July 8, 2021 at 2:51 am

Thank you Austin for sharing this incredibly important message to us in the region and now the world! Yes to coral gardening.

13. Austin Bowden-Kerby on July 8, 2021 at 2:52 am

https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/    Please spread this link!  A group of NGOs is now forming to work with the corals to deal with the massive bleaching which has now spread to the Indian Ocean, Indonesia, the Philippines, Kiribati, Samoa, Hawaii and many Pacific Islands.    Vinaka!

14. feel mehish on July 8, 2021 at 2:53 am