Pressure Treated Wood For Raised Garden Beds? – GardenFork

Pressure Treated Wood For Raised Garden Beds? – GardenFork

Can you use pressure treated wood to build raised beds? The pros and cons of using pressure treated wood in the garden. More Raised Garden Bed videos: https://goo.gl/xhmmpe Subscribe here: http://goo.gl/3zM702

Arsenic based pressure treated wood is no longer sold in the U.S., there are two new copper based woods now sold. These are the kind we are talking about for raised beds.

Seed Starting Videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmwyyqGuNGo&list=PLFE3A6A52DF345298
Soaker Hose Drip Irrigation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZt7VAuZd78&list=PLK9GxIRaLC5XSdDQ6oicSgPYsLXeB0zfs

Get our Email News: http://www.gardenfork.tv/sign-up-for-our-email-newsletter

iTunes GF Radio podcast: https://goo.gl/4CCenA
Twitter: http://twitter.com/gardenforktv
Facebook: http://facebook.com/gardenfork
Google+: https://plus.google.com/+gardenfork/
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gardenforktv/
Instagram: http://instagram.com/gardenfork

More great DIY, Cooking, Gardening, Home Improvement, Urban Homesteading videos and info on our site: http://GardenFork.TV

Amazon and some other links are affiliate links, we get a small finder’s fee for referring purchasers to their sites. Its part of how we pay for producing GardenFork

Produced by GardenFork Media LLC ©2015 all rights reserved

All embeds must live link to www.GardenFork.TV or www.YouTube.com/GardenFork

No Editorial Excerpts without permission, Violators agree to pay $5,000 per second + $10 per view + all collections & lawyers fees. In other words, ask first, we will probably say yes. Email: eric@gardenfork.tv

GardenFork Media LLC
PO Box 130
Colebrook, CT 06021

Music: Happy Hour, Composed by Dale Herr (ASCAP) , Toast Factory Publishing (ASCAP) Recording Licensed from the UniqueTracks Production Music Library Inc.

1. Robert Lacourse on July 12, 2021 at 2:25 am

Can I use tar paper to line my raised bed?

2. charlie zicolillo on July 12, 2021 at 2:26 am

You should flip your wood every two years.inside becomes the outside.the top becomes the bottom.they will last way longer.thats what i do with my HT or heat treated pallet beds.

3. USP .40 on July 12, 2021 at 2:27 am

Appreciate the video however……. I think, I think, doesn’t instill a lot of confidence the viewer. And fungicides can be deadly ie. “Agent Orange”. We need more research especially if you (we) want an Organic garden.

4. Erik Lee on July 12, 2021 at 2:27 am

i am just watching the dawgs

5. Autumn Spring on July 12, 2021 at 2:29 am

I don’t trust the gov’t to tell me what is safe or not safe. Even if they say their scientists deem it harmless.

6. Tom Skean on July 12, 2021 at 2:29 am

Thank you!

7. Robert Garland on July 12, 2021 at 2:29 am

Do you have a couple of beautiful labs there

8. sirCULTURE on July 12, 2021 at 2:31 am

It inhibits and kills beneficial micro organisms, while untreated biodegrades supporting the health of micro organisms. The government has acceptable levels and non acceptable levels and they can raise and lower the bar on these acceptable levels depending on changing variables. As an organic gardener, and in charge of my own organics, the acceptable level is 0. Shoot for pristine, the way God created it.

9. Simon Inga on July 12, 2021 at 2:33 am

Those studies are for having treated wood in a garden, not to grow and eat vegetables from it.

10. Gordon Pilcher on July 12, 2021 at 2:35 am

In Australia  we have an 8 X2 sleeper  that is CCA treated  what I started doing was planning the timber to remove the splinter the used a 200Um builder fil to create a membrane

11. A A on July 12, 2021 at 2:37 am

I’ve just bought pt wooden planks but they were delivered with white mold on them. Is it safe to use for my garden bed?

12. SuburbanHomesteaderWY-AZ on July 12, 2021 at 2:37 am

What about putting plastic on untreated wood?

13. boosted 327 on July 12, 2021 at 2:43 am

M

14. Terri Stauffer on July 12, 2021 at 2:45 am

So glad to come across video. Taking down old decks and want to reuse wood to make raised beds. Was told could not use treated wood for raised beds. I did some research and it said to line with plastic, but is I will just use the wood, no plastic. Thank you.

15. Chichikov on July 12, 2021 at 2:45 am

ive been painting untreated wood with ferrous(II)sulphate solution (mosskiller) and then following up with multiple coats of raw linseed oil.

itll be a long while before i know if its made much of a difference, but i think the ferrous sulphate should imbue it with some fungal resistance.

16. william freeh on July 12, 2021 at 2:46 am

did you use raw or boiled linseed oil or doesnt it matter?

17. Michael Labrise on July 12, 2021 at 2:47 am

Pressure treated wood is not dangerous. You got it on your deck where your kids play or you have BBQ on with your family and friends and you are worried about pressure treated around your garden, no. So you grow your own veggies the way you want too in your garden without all the chemical they spread on it coming from the farms and stores and you will be ok. It is much cheaper wood and you can get many years from it. Don’t worry so much, it’s all good man.

18. Captain Ron on July 12, 2021 at 2:49 am

OMG! Treated lumber for raised beds? Good luck convincing the purists!

19. Elite_Hunting on July 12, 2021 at 2:50 am

When choosing wood, BE SURE to use untreated wood. In 2003, the EPA banned the sale of lumber treated with chromated copper arsenate (CCA) for residential use. Two compounds, alkaline copper quat (ACQ) and copper azole (CA-B), have now replaced CCA wood in the residential market. Both contain copper and a fungicide but no arsenic. The copper keeps insects at bay, and the fungicide prevents soil fungus from attacking the wood. In ACQ, the fungicide is quat, which is also used in swimming-pool chemicals and as a disinfectant. The other compound, CA-B, uses copper and tebuconazole, a fungicide used on food crops. According to Miles McEvoy, who works in organic certification with the Washington State Department of Agriculture, no pressure-treated wood is allowed in soils used to grow organic food. If you want to meet this high standard, choose a different material.

20. JAHHIM on July 12, 2021 at 2:51 am

Greetings, I love my black lab Tank. He monitors my glucose through scent recognition. If I have hypoglycemia he nudges me under my chin with his nose. He smells the adrenaline dump that goes with that fluctuation in glucose levels. He is my steady gardening companion out here on Whidbey Island WA. We are redesigning the garden this year and cedar is what I have used in the past. Be well keep throwing that ball and thanks for the tip on copper.

21. TheMsLady4Real on July 12, 2021 at 2:51 am

I will stick with the untreated lumber! Good today, problems tomorrow! Can’t trust these so called studies! Cheap pine for me!

22. VeganMicroFarm on July 12, 2021 at 2:53 am

I used deck boards made from treated southern yellow pine as a border to my garden, filled with soil. A guy in Washington state did the same to build his worm bins, it must be OK.

23. Scott1Lori2 on July 12, 2021 at 2:53 am

Arsenic in treated (CCA) lumber was banned starting in 2004. Today it’s ACQ and is fine to use. The food you grow will be so much safer & better for you than store bought.

24. Tony Banner on July 12, 2021 at 2:53 am

I built 2 out of 4×4’s their 14 yrs old an still in good shape

25. Clean Slate Farm on July 12, 2021 at 2:54 am

I have a few 2×8 copper pressure treated left over from a project I was planning on using. I called the manufacturer and asked them if it was okay…the person I spoke with said he wouldn’t for vegetables but I also read article that confirms much of what you say in the video. It’s from a deck builder magazine…link follows http://bit.ly/28e2u0Q Page 51 gives a good rundown on the stuff. If the lumber is µCA-C the copper is micronized (that’s the µ symbol), or ground up extremely fine and added to an agent to hold it in suspension until it’s absorbed by the wood. The stuff I have is 0.05 µCA-C and seems to be coming pretty common in the industry, at least for some types of wood. Based on what I read and what Eric confirms I’m going to use it. Good info Eric!

26. Kelly Esselmont on July 12, 2021 at 2:57 am

Cute dogs! The old wood put it in the bottom and reduce your water requirements!

27. Honey Camomile on July 12, 2021 at 2:58 am

3:30 plastic is not ok for gardening.. is because of that im searching about wooden raised beds 🙁

28. Luke Perrett on July 12, 2021 at 2:58 am

M

29. Ken Tichy on July 12, 2021 at 2:59 am

I don’t get it… if the copper damages the plants then why use it on a planter? You would just be compromising the quality of your produce anyway.

30. Chris Birck on July 12, 2021 at 3:00 am

Thanks for the video Eric!

I would like to use pressure-treated wood for construction of my
    garden, but I plan on using a plastic liner between the wood and soil. I
    have a few questions though:
    1.) Do I have to line the bottom of the garden, even if it is not directly in contact with the pressure-treated wood?
    2.) If so, do I poke holes in the bottom of the plastic so that water can drain from the soil?
    3.) At what depth do I bury the plastic? In other words, how much soil do I
    need to have so the roots won’t penetrate the plastic?
    4.) How thick (what MIL size) should I use?
    5.) How often do I need to replace the plastic?
    Thanks!
    – Chris

31. Drew Borgholthaus on July 12, 2021 at 3:01 am

I used to work with a lot of Indian populations (south Asian Indians, not Native American Indians) and they claim copper has a lot of health benefits and that’s why a lot of their kitchenware is made from copper, so that it infuses into food and drink so it can enter the body. I’m also curious as to what the studies say that back all the copper compression pain relief sleeves and stuff abs why it’s such a big market.

32. Conrad on July 12, 2021 at 3:01 am

33. Bookoo c on July 12, 2021 at 3:03 am

My late black lab would eat anything, including any kind of wood. Had to keep the PT wood we used for my deck away from her. That was 20 years ago, so bad PTW. She would just go for a tree limb instead. Love your videos and the dogs.

34. surfdogdude on July 12, 2021 at 3:04 am

Great dogs! Thanks for the info.

35. Julez Owens on July 12, 2021 at 3:06 am

Thanks for info, just built mine and Home Depot confirms ban of arsenic pressure treated lumber 10+ years ago. Line my beds anyways.

36. Mikey_ T on July 12, 2021 at 3:07 am

Hi here in the UK large leading stores called B&Q have put there own videos up showing how to use decking boards to build raised beds for growing ,i know they are pressure copper treated ,i figure if they do it, it has to be safe ,as they could have a lot to lose if it isn’t .Hope its of help to anyone .

37. Robert Kunz on July 12, 2021 at 3:08 am

I am going to make a raised bed. I feel it is o.k. to use the treated wood. I have listened to a few
    articles on the computer. Your article was very helpful to me. I am hearing the same thing other
    places on line so I feel safe using treated wood. Thank you for such a helpful article. If the area
    infects the plants they won’t live anyway, and I won’t get any fruit anyway. Thank you again.

38. CrossGrain Wood Products,LTD on July 12, 2021 at 3:08 am

As of now, the compounds currently being used are alkaline copper quat (ACQ) and copper azole (CA-B). Both contain copper and a fungicide but no arsenic. The copper keeps insects at bay, and the fungicide prevents soil fungus from attacking the wood. In ACQ, the fungicide is quat. If you want to grow organically, the use of this treated wood would automatically disqualify you for certification. In another word, we don’t yet know the long-term effects of the new pressure-treated wood. I would never use any kind of not wood treated with "fungicide" or metal. There just is not enough research or studies with human subjects to completely rule out these additives. Yes, you can use plastic sheeting on the inside of the wood, but that sheeting is made in China, where ingredients are not regulated nor ever completely disclosed. For years the US and other countries imported toys containing led paint, even long after the ban on its use went public in 1978 with studies and scientific research that clearly stated how harmful it was. In 2007, when products that China was exporting were found to still contain high levels of lead the US banned all imports from China until they recalled every product that was sold containing lead paint. Yet they still exported/sold consumer goods with the banned paint to other countries, even their own!

39. macrokaiju on July 12, 2021 at 3:10 am

0:20 ball! ball? where’d the ball go? I think it went left?
    0:52 I couldn’t find the ball, is that ok?

40. John john Oj on July 12, 2021 at 3:10 am

Ty my friend

41. z1522 on July 12, 2021 at 3:11 am

Linseed oil, basically biodegradable vegetable oil; even boiled linseed gives a bit more polymerizing effect. The plastic lining should remove any concerns over commercial treatments that are deemed safe for such uses. Beware of DIY steps like used motor oil for fenceposts, where they could end up in planting beds later on, as they are not tested by any agency.

42. Jonathan Kosyjana on July 12, 2021 at 3:16 am

When i need to replace my beds I’m just gonna build around the old ones and let it rot out.it still have a while to go but i used regular no treated pine

43. Yair Val on July 12, 2021 at 3:16 am

just say yes

44. TheBushdoctor68 on July 12, 2021 at 3:16 am

Yea! Love the tip about lining your wood with plastic. Not as much as your lab, but still. 😉

45. Francois Schutte on July 12, 2021 at 3:17 am

Interestingly enough, copper is a nutrient which beer yeast need.

46. rmblwgn on July 12, 2021 at 3:18 am

Everyone in northern california uses rough 2×12 redwood. There are other fungicides in the pt wood besides copper that you might not want soaking into your plants

47. Gary Chiao on July 12, 2021 at 3:21 am

I was wondering if the black plastic sheet is still releasing bad stuff into your soil, especially in the hot summer.

48. Rob Rob on July 12, 2021 at 3:22 am

FYI Here in NJ, I have a vegetable garden with a 4×4 boarder; 3 4×4’s on each long side, and 2 4×4’s on each short end. This garden (and 4×4 boarder) is about 12 to15 years old. I recently decided to build up the boarder and add another layer of 4×4’s on top of my existing boarder. 9 out of the original 10 4×4 boards around my garden were in perfect condition! (over 12 years of sitting against dirt, often wet) Only one board had small signs of rot! I reset the original boarder and added another layer of 4×4’s on top of the existing 4×4 boarder. It looks and functions great! Couldn’t be better!!!!
    Also, I purchased all 10 new 4×4’s from Home Depot’s "cull lumber" rack. At 8.60 each, this would have cost me $86 ! At 70% off, this ended up costing me $25 ! The boards all had some tree bark still on 1 or 2 of the edges, and were not up to par with standards. They were NOT bowed at all, so I was able to turn the deformed looking edge to the inside of the garden, and the final result looks professional!

49. Raymond Flower on July 12, 2021 at 3:23 am

As a carpenter for 15 years I’ve eaten probably 10 full 2x4s worth of treated saw dust and I’m fine.

50. Pash Hunter on July 12, 2021 at 3:23 am