A garden in my apartment | Britta Riley

A garden in my apartment | Britta Riley

http://www.ted.com Britta Riley wanted to grow her own food (in her tiny apartment). So she and her friends developed a system for growing plants in discarded plastic bottles — researching, testing and tweaking the system using social media, trying many variations at once and quickly arriving at the optimal system. Call it distributed DIY. And the results? Delicious.

TEDTalks is a daily video podcast of the best talks and performances from the TED Conference, where the world’s leading thinkers and doers give the talk of their lives in 18 minutes. Featured speakers have included Al Gore on climate change, Philippe Starck on design, Jill Bolte Taylor on observing her own stroke, Nicholas Negroponte on One Laptop per Child, Jane Goodall on chimpanzees, Bill Gates on malaria and mosquitoes, Pattie Maes on the “Sixth Sense” wearable tech, and “Lost” producer JJ Abrams on the allure of mystery. TED stands for Technology, Entertainment, Design, and TEDTalks cover these topics as well as science, business, development and the arts. Closed captions and translated subtitles in a variety of languages are now available on TED.com, at http://www.ted.com/translate.

1. Cesar Yoc on July 13, 2021 at 2:23 am

Energy intensive, where are the materials for maintaining this come from? Where is the energy to maintain this come from? Need natural processes that in itself can regulate and maintain itself.

2. Trollika Devi on July 13, 2021 at 2:26 am

The art ofsaying little to nothing after talking a whole bunch

3. Stephanie Jordan on July 13, 2021 at 2:27 am

So peaceful so full of life.

4. Lisa on July 13, 2021 at 2:28 am

Didn’t this turn out to be a scam?

5. RottenProduce on July 13, 2021 at 2:30 am

At the end she says we should "rediscover the value of citizen’s united" which clearly refers to the landmark supreme court case that resulted in unlimited funds pouring into politics.

6. Hydroculturejeff on July 13, 2021 at 2:34 am

Hello how did you do for the automatic sprinkler system? I’m looking for everything and it doesn’t work for me. Watch my videos I have to fill every day … I become a slave … Thank you very much.

7. Wonder of Electronics on July 13, 2021 at 2:35 am

1033

8. Arnzt med zipbagen on July 13, 2021 at 2:37 am

This is golden. Thank you.

9. mo a on July 13, 2021 at 2:38 am

Great talk! Thank you

10. Satadal Chakraborty on July 13, 2021 at 2:40 am

soil less farming is not organic . You are using electricity (pump) to grow food.. ha ha ha..

11. Sonu Chaurasiya on July 13, 2021 at 2:40 am

hy

12. Avitar Magnus on July 13, 2021 at 2:41 am

in the 1940 was tried failed in 50 failed in the 60 -70 failed you cannot eat enough form a little 10,000sqft windows you need mega structures equal to farm surface area so lets not kid ourselves !!!! food has to be cheap easy and fast!!! waste has to be converted and reused cheap and fast and only Gods worms that can fuckthemselves as dominant male hemaphrodites as no females are needed will be the survival next step!!!! nice to see kids getting dirty and not on their cells but windows alone won’t get it done!!!! solar wind farms with soil and clean will!! and that will never change for humans!!!! grow your little herbs in recycled plastic toxic coke bottles but thats as far as you go!!!!! BE REALISTIC volume is the key!

13. kim warburton on July 13, 2021 at 2:43 am

exactly what ive been hunting for! i have idea to turn my apartment lounge into a mix of vertical window farming, inc on walls with LED lights, powered by gravity-fed hydro (archimedes screw/waterwheel, which also help transport n keep water flowing around my room, cleaning, oxygenating n filtering naturally for the fish which will fertilise the plants. im thinking to use bamboo ‘pipes’ as much as possible. 10 years ago, i asked to grow plants in the communal area n got denied (fire hazard -.-) i am concerned about condensation issues, but there’s ways to mitigate this apparently (not looked into it as yet, just enough to see info out there)

14. Inspirathon on July 13, 2021 at 2:44 am

The plastic can leech into food items…

15. A. T. Hawke on July 13, 2021 at 2:44 am

The rndiy.org website is gone.

16. tai_chi_88 88 on July 13, 2021 at 2:46 am

<3 <3 <3

17. Dk Zëë on July 13, 2021 at 2:46 am

Great work i want to do this in my room

18. dianegarcia2469 on July 13, 2021 at 2:46 am

im down as long as i can grow some seeded grapes!!!

19. Health Mind & More on July 13, 2021 at 2:47 am

The site is dead. Please anyone got new links ?

20. Michael Adamson on July 13, 2021 at 2:50 am

"she" whats with the feminist rhetoric….that ruins permaculture….i

21. i post anime dub clips now i decided on July 13, 2021 at 2:51 am

isnt she a con artist? why is ted promoting a scammer??

22. Diana Bernardellli on July 13, 2021 at 2:53 am

im so interested

23. Shadowhand Media on July 13, 2021 at 2:54 am

..who live in a pineapple under the sea

24. Asan Emirsale on July 13, 2021 at 2:54 am

does it work?
    rndiy.org

25. CJG Studio on July 13, 2021 at 2:55 am

This person Britta Riley has appeared to have taken the money from the kickstarter and tried to make a career for herself elsewhere. He body language here was super commercial and not hippie love the earth positive vibes. Got cooperate bs all over this. What a shame.

26. Celo on July 13, 2021 at 2:55 am

What happened to rndiy.org ? it is not working anymore?

27. Kalonji Edward Richardson on July 13, 2021 at 2:56 am
  28. Ron Bowers on July 13, 2021 at 2:56 am

Michael Pollen is great

29. M J on July 13, 2021 at 2:59 am

SHE should spend less time focusing on gender so SHE can spread her ideas faster

30. Karimi1able on July 13, 2021 at 3:00 am

#OpenSource

31. ZDan C on July 13, 2021 at 3:01 am

This is a Great idea to Start now!! during this pandemic/soon to be Great Depression. Stay strong NYC!

32. Karina S on July 13, 2021 at 3:02 am

One should not grow good in a plastic bottle. Toxic chemical leaks

33. Michael Gfroerer on July 13, 2021 at 3:02 am

Amazing! The US government pays $25 BILLION in farming subsidies to non-organic farming. Time to make farming Earth-friendly and get everyone cooperating.

34. Contemplandomicamino on July 13, 2021 at 3:02 am

Something happened to her – can someone tell me what exactly?

35. HYDROCEMPLUNG VERTICAL FARMING on July 13, 2021 at 3:07 am

👍👍👍👍👍👍👍 I SUBSCRIBED

36. Jungle Theme on July 13, 2021 at 3:07 am

Everybody knows that hydroponic weed is very very different from weed that is grown outside. I believe growing food hydroponically is a mistake. Plants need the actual sun. We need the actual sun.

37. chumleyok on July 13, 2021 at 3:07 am

Another person presenting a community enhancing idea when it was ultimately a lie and eventually a cash grab. A miniature Theranos. There’s a theme there I think…

38. Michael Jayson Banua on July 13, 2021 at 3:09 am

We plant vegetables in our yard a habit passed down by my grandmother. In our school and house we use empty plastic bottles and cans as pot.

39. AwHailBree on July 13, 2021 at 3:10 am

i cant find any info on this but im going to try it with a water pump and solar power

40. DIY Rich on July 13, 2021 at 3:12 am

This is awesome ideas… another new things to do

41. Mamadaliev Kamil on July 13, 2021 at 3:13 am

Какой же сайт у них сейчас

42. M k on July 13, 2021 at 3:14 am

I appreciate your idea

43. abhishekanshu1 on July 13, 2021 at 3:14 am

This serves the greater good. The people, the environment and the gardener. Truly utilitarian

44. So Connie on July 13, 2021 at 3:14 am

I admit she made a powerful and persuasive speech, but it can’t interested me at all. You don’t need to pay such a high price to buy that system. The only advantage of her method is that you don’t need to do watering by yourself (I guess?) so even someone who know nothing about plant growing can be capable of growing vegetables.

Getting a T5 LED plant light only cost US$9 in my city, with electricity bill less than US$0.5 a month if you turn on 10 hours a day. Pots and soil are very cheap as well. You don’t need to pay hundreds for a window farm. I live in an apartment with more than 30 plants, most of them in soil, where some in water. It’s an indoor herbal tea garden, enough to make tea every day for my mom and me.

Many people hate using soil just because of the fear of bugs, but as long as you microwave your soil for 5 minutes all bugs will just die. And soak every new plant in detergent water and microwave the soil before putting it in your indoor garden. I grow those plants near my bed but within these 4 years, yet no bugs every climb on to my face haha.

Knowing nothing about horticulture is no big deal. Go to Houseplant Journal or other IG plant blogs. Plant youtubers like James Prigioni and Nick Pileggi. Join a plant forum and get help. You can grow plants cheap and nice easily without that expensive system!

45. Nic Andrews on July 13, 2021 at 3:15 am

This woman stuttered through the whole video, that’s usually the sign of a scammer.

46. TransHuman on July 13, 2021 at 3:15 am

I don’t have 800+ dollars to build an apartment garden because I’m poor from brutal capitalism and class warfare, so I guess I’m gonna have to leave it to the well off to save the world. Good thing they make up 1% of the population.

47. Alan Solomon on July 13, 2021 at 3:16 am

Thanks for this video Britta. I have questions about aquaponics and starting something. I looked into contact rndiy.org but could not find an email or phone number. Can you possibly send me an email or a phone number of someone I can talk with about this please? I believe you have my email with my request? Thanks..

48. The Adhd Gardener on July 13, 2021 at 3:16 am

I think I’ll try the window farm hydroponics out .I already use leca

49. Lindsay S on July 13, 2021 at 3:17 am

Well isn’t this a sad story that had huge potential. I almost went home and started my own window farm wall.

50. Sandya raju Raju on July 13, 2021 at 3:20 am