Vegetable Garden in Phoenix

Vegetable Garden in Phoenix

This is my first garden. I started the project thinking we’d just have 1 or 2 raised beds but it turned into something much bigger. Everything is done organically (no pesticides, no chemical fertilizers etc.) and “veganically” (without the use of manure, blood meal, bone meal or any kind of animal product).

99% of the vegetables are “heirloom” or “open-pollinated” meaning the seed has been bred true and saved for at least 50 years and will continue to breed true when you save the seed…as opposed to a “hybrid” which has generally been bred for appearance, shelf life, yield, disease resistance but rarely taste. A saved hybrid seed will not breed true to the vegetable you saved it from.

My family and I built the structure. I started everything by seed, mostly indoors under a grow-light system.

What I’m growing now:

Strawberries
Okra
Tomatillo
Sunflowers
Parsley
Amaranth

What I grew over the winter:

Lettuce
Kale
Rapini
Broccoli
Arugula
Beets
Carrots
Peas
Bok Choy
Spigariello

On an unrelated note, check out the band I’m in with my 3 brothers. http://www.kongos.com

1. Terri T on July 15, 2021 at 2:25 am

What strength of shade cloth did you use? 50% … 60% ?

2. Joshua Vogt on July 15, 2021 at 2:25 am

What kind of tomatoes are those

3. Car idology on July 15, 2021 at 2:26 am

can I buy some of your gem squash seed from South African?

4. The Seer Judah on July 15, 2021 at 2:26 am

Love to see it today!

5. Ron DeCoste on July 15, 2021 at 2:27 am

Very Very impressive. I am also a Phoenix gardener., I was very impressed with your structures. Were the raised block beds built with morter or set dry? Could you explain that in more detail?
    azvalleyman

6. Nola Borrego on July 15, 2021 at 2:28 am

When did you plant the watermelon?

7. Donna Mcdonald on July 15, 2021 at 2:28 am

The fenced-in, shade cloth covered enclosure with raised beds is absolutely brilliant. We’re creating a similar arrangement under a pergola, over river rock. Very inspiring!

8. Orchid and Kitties on July 15, 2021 at 2:29 am

you have such a beautiful garden.I like it.thanks for sharing.I subscribed..come visit my channel.I have some veg garden and some orchids..

9. eighteentimesbetter on July 15, 2021 at 2:30 am

Nice garden!! Did you plant them all from seeds or are some of them from actual plants?

10. Ruth e on July 15, 2021 at 2:31 am

Come back, please…

11. chunli yu on July 15, 2021 at 2:33 am

What varities your tomatoes?

12. square Bizz on July 15, 2021 at 2:33 am

Whats are the best veganic brands of soil to use? I live in Nevada. I want to start my garden.

13. Ruth e on July 15, 2021 at 2:35 am

Please You Tube again. You are a master!

14. GoingOrganic1 on July 15, 2021 at 2:36 am

That is an amazing first garden! Keep up the good work!

15. Driving Miss Ninya on July 15, 2021 at 2:37 am

Very impressive, for a first garden, did u take a collage course on raising your first garden, then do a lab on it? This is advanced stuff for a beginner! Outstanding! Imagine what u will be doing 10, 20 years from now! Were the friends and family. That helped u on building the garden, beginners? Now I am going back.to.my garden and re-think what I’m needing to do to get it up to par with the beginner! Rock on!:) your doing great! Bowen

16. Magic and Mundane on July 15, 2021 at 2:37 am

Really Impressive! Awesome set up. I love all the protection you have for your plants.

Only one pet peeve though… there is no such thing as veganic growing (if the definition is no use of animal products or labor other than human). Sorry. Check out the soil cycle. Many of the essential decomposers like earth worms and arthopods are animals.

17. Wayne Southwick on July 15, 2021 at 2:38 am

are you still alive? this is from 10 yrs ago

18. i2ambler2002 on July 15, 2021 at 2:40 am

@jibhorse Exploiting the insects? is that a joke?

19. Nancy Brem on July 15, 2021 at 2:40 am

Thank you for sharing your awesome Phoenix garden! I am starting my 3rd desert garden here in Fountain Hills. It is so amazing that we have two seasons, and with shade and a drip system it is amazing what you can do. I have even had success growing grapes here. We need to let the community know that we can have paradise in our own backyards and we don’t have to eat GMO’s which choke off our life force. Good luck and keep sharing.

20. Ryan Landry on July 15, 2021 at 2:44 am

sweet setup for zone 9 seems like a large setup for a family, do you can or sell at the farmers market?

21. Jonny_mazerati on July 15, 2021 at 2:45 am

Cute

22. Jaimee Jenkins on July 15, 2021 at 2:45 am

I love your garden. I’m an Arizonan native. I want to build your garden in my backyard. So freakin’ cool.

23. Angela Lazon on July 15, 2021 at 2:46 am

very cool garden i need help with mine in yucca im always fighting wind and water evap and of course chipmunks grrrr u got any advice????

24. buyerofsorts on July 15, 2021 at 2:48 am

Yes I did enjoy you’re tour. Thanks for that. This is you’re first garden?! Sheesh!

What do you do with all of the produce? I live in Phoenix. Do you ever sell any of it? Thanks.

25. Miriciao on July 15, 2021 at 2:49 am

impressive! I have raised beds too in Peoria  AZ.  not lucky  with cucumbers, zucchini , ok with chards , bok choy, leeks. I don’t have enough compost , how do you get your vegetables to make a lot of compost? Cannot find organic at home depot .How do you feed your garden ? please share, thanks

26. Rick Kanitz on July 15, 2021 at 2:50 am

Hey, that’s a very impressive setup you have! We began gardening out here probably 15 years ago and don’t have the protective fencing or netting around ours but things seem to be doing alright. You mentioned you do not use any bone meal, blood meal, steer manure or anything like that? Do you fertilize with Miracle Gro? Just putting down compost such as kitchen vegetable scraps and lawn & garden leaves, needles, etc? Thanks again for sharing…a lot of good ideas! Rick

27. Cleire Carvalho on July 15, 2021 at 2:51 am

My dream garden!
    So good to know that it is possible to do a garden in Arizona!

28. Erik Vance on July 15, 2021 at 2:51 am

What are you using to trelis the tomatoes? I see what looks like a road sign post with string/rope but is there more? Nice garden.

29. luke26126 on July 15, 2021 at 2:54 am

Very nice, are there any medicinal plants hidden in there? 😉

30. angela Lazon on July 15, 2021 at 2:56 am

Cool garden. I just found u today

31. Mercedes Adames on July 15, 2021 at 2:57 am

YOU HAVE AN OUTSTANDING GARDEN THANK YOU FOR YOUR INSPIRATION. I LIVE IN LAS VEGAS AND I GARDEN. But what you have is inspirational. God Bless and enjoy the fruits of your labor. wHAT DO YOU COVER THE TOMATO WITH to filter the sun?

32. i MSET on July 15, 2021 at 3:02 am

i dig your set up bruh!

33. Get cracked on on July 15, 2021 at 3:04 am

Great vid watcher here from yorkshire england, id sort your ant problem out also in future id prune your toms check the vids on here bout it will be miles more beneficial with yeild, i did a 50% pruned 50% natural last year and my prunedhit around 200% more fruit, awsome layout bud keep going strong! starting my grows up and hope to have a set up lik this in next 24months

34. Ming Song on July 15, 2021 at 3:05 am

Not bone meal. How do u supply phosphorus?

35. Chii Rising on July 15, 2021 at 3:07 am

WOW! What a stupendous first year garden; I am highly impressed. Thanks for sharing! Very encouraging for the rest of us with dry clay soil.

36. Geani Tsucuneli on July 15, 2021 at 3:11 am

I have the same idea about garden in Desert…I am going to move in the future in Casa Grande Az.I already got 14 acres in Casa Grande….You have a very nice garden

37. elgauchocaliforniano on July 15, 2021 at 3:11 am

I’m moving to Phoenix and I’m wondering what books or sources you read with respect to growing vegetables in the desert and what you read regarding seed starting?

38. M mangla on July 15, 2021 at 3:12 am

very nice my friend

39. Western Essence on July 15, 2021 at 3:17 am

How much light is that shade stopping?

40. Rose M on July 15, 2021 at 3:17 am

wow just wow ! what part of phoenix do you live at ?

41. Margaret Walker on July 15, 2021 at 3:18 am

Your seed will mingle and be unsavable if you plant watermelon and squash too close together. 25 feet apart at least…

42. The Chopping Block on July 15, 2021 at 3:19 am

Well done! You put my garden to shame. How do you control pests, especially ants?

43. Kim Hicks on July 15, 2021 at 3:21 am

You did your homework. What a nice layed out gàrden. They way you safe a large area of your garden. Very helpful for people in your area

44. Keith Killough on July 15, 2021 at 3:22 am

Awesome garden! Thanks for the video!

45. Eli on July 15, 2021 at 3:22 am

Good job man! Im in Mesa and will hopefully start my garden this year. This gives me hope!