10 Cold Hardy Herbs – Herbs That Survive the Winter in Zone 6

10 Cold Hardy Herbs – Herbs That Survive the Winter in Zone 6

I don’t spend a whole lot of time talking about our herbs, but I probably should. One of the first things I wondered when I started looking at herbs, was which ones would survive the winter. I knew that some would, and some wouldn’t. I now have a nice collection of herbs that do well in the winter here.

Subscribe: https://www.youtube.com/user/WarLetters

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/midwestgardener

1. BobMel simple living on July 19, 2021 at 2:35 am

I have never had mint but I remember it fron my grandmothers garden. I guess that was in the mid-fifties. Have a great evening.
    Best wishes Bob. 🌴🌴

2. The Catholic Gardener on July 19, 2021 at 2:38 am

I love Herbs!!!!! The yarrow and bee balm is so pretty when it flowers! I might have to look into getting those! How often do you prune your lavender? I never know when to do it or how much because I don’t want to kill them!

3. JBtheExplorer on July 19, 2021 at 2:39 am

I grow a few Monardas, including the locally native Wild Bergamot, as well as the Scarlet Bee Balm ‘Jacob Cline’, and a pink variety that looks a lot like yours. As far as herbs go, I also grow Blue Giant Hyssop. Bees love it. I’m planning to add a lot more of it in the future.

4. vicki perkins on July 19, 2021 at 2:43 am

The bee balm is gorgeous!!

5. The Millennial Gardener on July 19, 2021 at 2:43 am

As a testament to how tough oregano is, we had almost unheard of temperatures this past January. 5 days in a row we had lows between 8-14. It caused all sorts of destruction, yet my Italian oregano only suffered partial die-back. I cut back the die-off and by February it was a nice, green bush again. Under a normal winter in Zone 8 or warmer, it is evergreen all year long. Herbs are amazingly tough plants, and what would our food be without them?

6. Ginney Camden on July 19, 2021 at 2:45 am

I put in garlic chives at our last house. That stuff spread everywhere. We grow a lot of herbs now but didn’t include that one. It’s pretty though.

7. P. C. on July 19, 2021 at 2:48 am

I’m hoping to have an herb bed this year so it’s nice to see what survives for you. There are so many things that have medicinal uses but I’m like you, I really would like to try them just to see the flowers.👍

8. Mark Sturgeon on July 19, 2021 at 2:48 am

I’m having alot of success this year with keeping cilantro in a large planter. On hot days I just move it to the shade. I’m in zone 6b in Indiana, so we’ve had some hot days already. Have you had any luck with rosemary? This is my first year trying it.

9. Gapeys Grub on July 19, 2021 at 2:52 am

I have all of those in my garden! My yarrow and bee balm are in the front yard while everything else is in the back. I like lavender so much that I have it in the front and back. 🙂 Love your yarrow. Mine is just boring white. I tried to grow another color earlier this year but it didn’t germinate.

10. Little Bean's Garden on July 19, 2021 at 2:57 am

Definitely very hardy if they survive your winters. The bee 🐝 balm flowers are stunning. I need to buy me some seeds, because I want those in my garden. Are they are cool type of plant or summer plant? Take care care friend.

11. The Little Whitehouse on July 19, 2021 at 2:59 am

The garlic chives survives the winters up here and does real well.

12. California Gardening Mom on July 19, 2021 at 2:59 am

That’s crazy you got the cilantro to survive! Did you do anything special to it?

13. 50 shades of green on July 19, 2021 at 3:00 am

excellent looking herb Jim !!

14. Permaculture Homestead on July 19, 2021 at 3:02 am

thats a pretty good lineup of herbs. thx for sharin

15. Dan Isrite on July 19, 2021 at 3:02 am

Was that a wild or perennial leek in the corner of your dripper hose at 0:28?

16. scott FOSS on July 19, 2021 at 3:03 am

Wow Jim the Flowers look Fantastic. I bet the Pollinators have a field day in your garden.

17. Prairie Adventures on July 19, 2021 at 3:03 am

My oregano, sage and other herbs all die over Winter. I love the scent of spearmint. Wish it would over winter. The bee balm is gorgeous

18. juliana chandler on July 19, 2021 at 3:04 am

Wow, love that pink bee balm

19. Christina Panait on July 19, 2021 at 3:06 am

Please tell me how sage is ok during winter or what kind soil you put to be healthy. I live in Ottawa region zone 5, and seems how much I try having sage in garden.. Somethings going wrong same with lavander 😭💚🌳

20. V. on July 19, 2021 at 3:10 am

Thank you for sharing! 😊

21. My Hillside Garden on July 19, 2021 at 3:11 am

Thank you for showing what survived your winter. I would say all of mine, that are in common with yours, did as well here in zone 6a. Have a great today! Catherine

22. CB's Greenhouse and Garden on July 19, 2021 at 3:11 am

Those done great over such a harsh winter. Love the blooms they put out. Rene has some bee bomb seed but never got them to come up. Now she seen yours and wants to try again. Always nice to see what you have going on over there buddy. Have a great day and keep your grow on!

23. lbizzythefire on July 19, 2021 at 3:11 am

What about the soil you have? Did you have to add sand to the lavender?

24. An Old School Home on July 19, 2021 at 3:15 am

Good to know if I ever move to a cold weather state 😁 What was the name of the medicinal herb?

25. PrincessAloeVera on July 19, 2021 at 3:16 am

WOW! THANK YOU! Just found you and subscribed and I will be watching more of your vids. !

26. LilBritle1 on July 19, 2021 at 3:18 am

How do you think bee balm will do in zone 3

27. UT33200 on July 19, 2021 at 3:20 am

Really good info. This year our Oregano came back and really kind of surprised us. The mints are our for sure plants and we always get excited because they usually are the first to show new growth and we have already had to collect quite a bit this year. Never really thought about or looked at chives. We do have garlic and onions come back though so it makes sense. Don’t really know much about yarrow either, but I am really interested in its growth. Its leaves remind me quite a bit of Cosmos and Dill. Both of which we have seen quite a bit of success towards companion planting and pest resistance. With the small and wiry foliage like that bugs really have a hard time flying/moving around those types and have really came through for us near peppers and tomatoes. Good stuff. Thanks for the share!

28. Candi Wallace on July 19, 2021 at 3:21 am

Nice video 😍😍🤗🤗❤❤

29. Dust The Wolf on July 19, 2021 at 3:23 am

Can I still grow herbs outside if it gets below -30 C? Or is that too low?

30. A little dirt never hurt on July 19, 2021 at 3:23 am

Very nice little run down of some great herbs! My bee balm is in year 2 and I’m expecting flowers this year! Yarrow is one of my favourites. Have a great weekend Jim:))

31. truth flame on July 19, 2021 at 3:24 am