Container Vegetable Gardening: Using Epsom Salt, Fertilizer, My Mid August Routine

Container vegetable gardening can be a challenge come mid August. This is how I use Epsom Salt and chemical fertilizers to feed container vegetables. You can substitute fish emulsion or other organic water soluble fertilizers if you wish. I explain why I use these products in mid August. My goal is to get the container soil filled with what the plants needs so the can make it into late September.

Here is The Rusted Garden Link to Amazon for Seed Starting & Gardening Supplies
http://amzn.to/2FgufvF Thanks for using my link. It helps fund my garden videos!

Join The Rusted Garden FB Gardening Shop & Video Page

1. Gary H on July 19, 2021 at 2:11 am

I am so glad that you stress the truth about chemical fertlilizer . I am sure that you have suffered a lot of backlash from others who have channels here on YouTube.

2. Gary Pilarchik on July 19, 2021 at 2:13 am

Seed Starting Supplies: http://amzn.to/2GrGaZ7 Please Support My First Vegetable Garden:
    Garden Fertilizers: http://amzn.to/2DIQDRY By using these Amazon links, any purchase
    Garden Disease & Pest Control: http://amzn.to/2Fqvl8e you make returns a % of sales back to MFVG.
    Grow Lights:http://amzn.to/2GudeiO I turn most of that back into the garden and videos.
    Amazon General Search Page: http://amzn.to/2DZBzyZ THANKS! Greatly Appreciated – Gary (MFVG)

3. Susan Allen on July 19, 2021 at 2:14 am

Thank you for another great vid.

4. "MORNING GARDENER'S SHOW" on July 19, 2021 at 2:15 am

Great Channel seriously good information

5. marcy maybe on July 19, 2021 at 2:15 am

Can you eat the flowers from Basils

6. Eva Masiu on July 19, 2021 at 2:19 am

I like the idea of using apesinsalt

7. Jane Jacobsen on July 19, 2021 at 2:19 am

Hi, Gary,Have you tried sub irrigated planting for containers. I live in zone 9b and we get very arid in summer. It’s almost impossible to keep plants properly hydrated in the summer heat when we go months without rain and the county forbids frequent watering. So I”m trying sub irrigation but am flying almost blind. If you have any tips or tricks I’d be very grateful.

8. home fresh 19780402 on July 19, 2021 at 2:19 am

Everything on the planet is chemical including you LOL

9. Lara Montez on July 19, 2021 at 2:27 am

lil gary is coming around- good job!

10. Jen Ross on July 19, 2021 at 2:29 am

I love Epsom salt- never used it in the garden though.

11. Matt James on July 19, 2021 at 2:32 am

Hi, everybody keeps suggesting to use epsom salt. I decided to try it for the first time on my lemon tree.I used two tablespoons for two gallons of water. Β The tree is now suffering from salt toxicity. What happened? how can I save my tree? HELP!!

12. Gary Miner on July 19, 2021 at 2:32 am

Hi Gary. Where did you buy your watering can? Thanks!

13. Benja's Uber 1337 Hobby on July 19, 2021 at 2:32 am

Great tips on how to use epsom salt and fertilizers πŸ™‚ Thanks for sharing πŸ™‚

14. Devin Brown on July 19, 2021 at 2:33 am

Gary, what is your email if we have questions?

15. Sash Rhman on July 19, 2021 at 2:36 am

Liked the containers, I grow flowers mostly on deck but this gave me great ideas for growing vegetables too

16. Gary Miner on July 19, 2021 at 2:39 am

Thanks

17. Two Turtle Garden & Outdoors on July 19, 2021 at 2:39 am

Thats a problem with container gardening.. I was away for five days and it was fine. I was lucky…

18. Aileene Fields on July 19, 2021 at 2:40 am

This Video is exactly the 1 i was Looking For!!-Thank you&Have a Fantastic Weekend!! Memorial Day-

19. Carrie Banks-Wright on July 19, 2021 at 2:41 am

What zone are you in

20. "MORNING GARDENER'S SHOW" on July 19, 2021 at 2:46 am

I now have Weeds on my property in the garden section. Then I 6ft tall. Some would wonder how come weeds will grow without any care other than the wood chips I put in that area and also the compost. But Tomatoes corn require all this fuss to grow it. Interesting

21. BobMel simple living on July 19, 2021 at 2:49 am

Thanks again Gary. Best wishes Bob.

22. KALSINFILMS on July 19, 2021 at 2:50 am

Do u compost? And Why?

23. Benon Ano on July 19, 2021 at 2:52 am

You should actually show how u cut back the npk you spoke and didn’t show

24. Renee White on July 19, 2021 at 2:52 am

purchase a water timer for the sprinkler and then it’ll be watered when you want it watered. You don’t have to worry about your backup person forgetting or watering during the heat of the day. Well worth the money!

25. vivek21760 on July 19, 2021 at 2:53 am

Usefull and well explain, muchas gracias πŸ™πŸ“πŸ₯¬πŸ₯¦πŸŒ»
    Good to be aware that Eason can mix with other soluble fertilizer as chemical n organic -thank again
    Keep on
    Bye from Madrid -SpainπŸ™πŸ™

26. Quy N. on July 19, 2021 at 2:55 am

Thanks to share……

27. Joy Ahmed on July 19, 2021 at 2:55 am

Thanks for great advice

28. Gordon Pilcher on July 19, 2021 at 3:01 am

I do exactly this with some wicking pots just keep the reservoirs full using a automatic tap timer the sprinkler run once week just after dark I have venturi in the water line which feed a fish emollition

29. deb boy *Debbie* on July 19, 2021 at 3:07 am

okay Gary – I have been vegtable gardening for 25 years or more. Always successful. Always had a great garden to harvest. Always had to give stuff away. This is my 4th year at a new location. Very successful here until this year. Compost, egg and banana grinded (as per your instructions) epsom salts and composted manure. That’s all I have put in my garden. 12 tomato plants – 2 pkgs of bean seeds – literally got ONE tomato TOTAL – which we ate tonight with a bacon and tomato sandwich ( I always got 25 tomatoes per plant) no Romano tomatoes, no sweet million tomatoes, no beefstake tomatoes, NOTHING!! and one meal from the beans. All tomato plants literally died and the bean leaves were decimated with holes on the leafs therefore did not get to grow to full potential. Now I am in zone 5 the only thing that I can see that has changed was that the rain never stopped all Spring and Summer and not so much sun it was unbelievable. What did I do wrong this year – cannot understand it. Pulled out all 12 the tomato plants (which did not grow at all) roots and plants were the same size as when planted in late May. Around the veggie garden my perennial vines Englewood vines were decimated by some kind of bug – tiny holes in the leaves have been decimated by something that is eating the leaves (tiny tiny holes on all the leaves). The local garden centre said that I was putting too much stuff into the soil. How is that possible? Please help Gary – it is a long time to wait for another successful garden year and I am not getting any younger. I truly missed out this year on getting fresh produce and I don’t want to make the same mistake next year. Thanks and Regards – Debbie.