How to Grow Apple Trees – Complete Growing Guide

How to Grow Apple Trees – Complete Growing Guide

In this episode we are talking about how to grow apple trees! They are some of the most iconic fruit trees for the home gardener and orchard but many people over complicate this very easy tree to grow. In this episode we will talk about fertilizing, sunlight, soil type, watering, pruning, training branches, and other care tips to get you growing apples of your own!
Send mail to:
PO box 131
Marysville, MI 48040

450+ varieties of Heirloom & Non-GMO Vegetable seeds .99/pack, fertilizer, garden tools, blog & More: http://www.MIgardener.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MIgardener
Instagram: http://instagram.com/MIgardener
G+: http://plus.google.com/+MIgardener
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/MIgardenerYT/ Twitter: http://twitter.com/MI_gardener
Tumblr: http://tumblr.com/MIgardener Check out our new clothing line! http:www.freshpickedapparel.com

1. jaws23100 on July 21, 2021 at 8:54 pm

Thank you is! This was an excellent beginners video. I am looking forward to using these tips when we move to our next property!

2. Senuth Senuth on July 21, 2021 at 8:55 pm

I am Sri Lankan . I have a apple plant. 80 cm higher. I wont to know apple plant nutrition. Plz tell me nutrition. Can I finding Sri Lanka kind of nutrition .help me

3. Niecy Smith on July 21, 2021 at 8:57 pm

OMG! Im not the only one allergic Lol!

4. Casey O'Kelley on July 21, 2021 at 9:00 pm

I hope my apple tree is a strong as this mans knee.

5. Robert Palacios on July 21, 2021 at 9:00 pm

As a maintenance worker and enough plumbing experience. That’s not a very good place for any kind of tree. Wait till those roots grow underneath the house and plumbing.

6. Tausibul Haque on July 21, 2021 at 9:01 pm

7. Josh A on July 21, 2021 at 9:01 pm

You make the best gardening videos, they are very helpful. Thank you!!

8. Don Liu on July 21, 2021 at 9:01 pm

Thank you. What about pest and chimunk eating my apples?

9. Vara Lakshmi on July 21, 2021 at 9:03 pm

Great job sir good luck

10. Michael Smith on July 21, 2021 at 9:05 pm

What are your opinions on "Twist" trees where they "twist" 2 different apple trees around each other as they grow?

Also the "fruit coctail" where they graft 3 different kinds of apple tree to the same base & stalk.

I impulse bought one of each but I still want to hear your opinion.

Thank you!

11. 420 on July 21, 2021 at 9:05 pm

too bad you’re allergic to raw apples

12. Keith Hazlett on July 21, 2021 at 9:07 pm

geuess its back fried art rocks rice stew

13. Hunter Klapperich on July 21, 2021 at 9:11 pm

Do you have a video on starting Apple trees from seeds?

14. Nenad G on July 21, 2021 at 9:11 pm

Why do they gave to be planted so far from each other

15. Family On The Fly on July 21, 2021 at 9:12 pm

Luke, thanks so much for the great content. I just started following your channel as the information you provide is fantastic. I’m in Oxford on the lake and was curious if I need to be sure to protect my honey crisp sapling from deer? I know you said it’s ok to deflower for the first year, will deer do damage to the tree once planted?

16. Andi Elliott on July 21, 2021 at 9:13 pm

Just wondering what type of fertilizer to use on my apple trees.

17. 백공사과 #백설공주한테 납품한 사과 on July 21, 2021 at 9:14 pm

멋지네요~
    굿~👍

18. Joshua Moore on July 21, 2021 at 9:22 pm

What time of year is best for planting?

19. Deffcon 1 on July 21, 2021 at 9:22 pm

I’m from Michigan and I have a lot of clay in my soil. I also know a lot of orchards do too. What is your recommendation for making sure the soil drains enough? I have a high spot in my yard I plan on putting some apple trees but was concerned about drainage. Could I dig down a few extra get and put down some beach sand or even just top soil? Should I try and run some drainage in the ground a few feet from the base of the trees?

20. Jeffery Foster on July 21, 2021 at 9:23 pm

Do you happen to have anything on apple tree seedlings?

21. Trump The Messiah on July 21, 2021 at 9:23 pm

why do you just talk? all you do is talk in your videos. never proof of anything. I want to see and the fact that you talking next to a dead looking tree dont say much

22. галина лалова on July 21, 2021 at 9:25 pm

Thank you for this comprehensive tutorial! Apple trees are indeed amazing! I got an apple tree from my neighbour and it is grown from seed. It grew really well this year but I think it is still too small to put it in the ground (60cm). The variety is unknown to me since my neighbour was unsure about the spelling. It’s a French decorative sort (it’s pronounced ‘elej /eley or sth). It has beautiful broad dark green to dark purple leaves. I intend to move it into a bigger container for the winter but not sure if it should stay outdoors, in the greenhouse or in the basement (16°C but dark). If it stays in the greenhouse (no heating there) does it needs watering and how often? It’s an apple haven region where I live so the most apples are doing fine in winters. Do you have some ideas for this little guy? Thank you in advance!

23. Oscar DonJuan on July 21, 2021 at 9:27 pm

Hey, Luke! Thanks a lot for these videos. I live in Zone 6 and I’m planning on planting multiple types of apple trees. I’m reading a lot of conflicting opinions about the best time to plant apple trees: some say at the beginning of fall and others say at the beginning of spring. What would you say? Thanks!

24. Grow Health TV on July 21, 2021 at 9:28 pm

Hi Luke, best to train scaffolds the first year and many apple trees grow in Southern Ca. Watering is relative to time of year, soil, rainfall, root-stock and other factors. Deep watering is best.

25. Alice Pettit on July 21, 2021 at 9:31 pm

Luke this is so clear and helpful. 1st serious effort w backyard fruit.

26. Alex Salazar on July 21, 2021 at 9:31 pm

You trippin I got a big apple tree with lots of fruit in zone 10a (southern Cali)

27. Kathy Kelner on July 21, 2021 at 9:31 pm

I just purchased apple trees that I was going grow in large containers. Any help or hope for them?

28. Darlene Pittman on July 21, 2021 at 9:33 pm

When should I plant my trees in zone 6a?

29. Daniel Engling on July 21, 2021 at 9:34 pm

Excellent compressed tutorial, thanks!

I have an apple tree that is probably 30 years old and mostly surrounded by other trees. It doesn’t get much sunlight and last year developed three apples. What do you recommend?

Also, I want to plant more, will I be better on well drained flat ground or well drained sloping ground?

30. Aboi Panmei on July 21, 2021 at 9:34 pm

What month is best for plants apple

31. BD TREE on July 21, 2021 at 9:35 pm

VERY GOOD VIDEO.

32. Tammy Ohler on July 21, 2021 at 9:38 pm

My husband is the same with an allergic reaction. He has his throat restrict if he eats them. He too can eat them cooked.

33. Valerie Sanchez on July 21, 2021 at 9:38 pm

🙃

34. Angela Lew on July 21, 2021 at 9:38 pm

you are not plating it you are just talking about your apple tree

35. Hannah Hernandez on July 21, 2021 at 9:38 pm

Hi! I’m in Dallas, Tx and I’m not a plant person at all. But I’m trying with an apple tree. I purchased it from a nursery and it was already pretty tall at then end of April. It gets good water and plenty of sun but it’s leaves have curled and browned 😥. I recently put some citrus tree food and crushed eggshells around it and loosened the soil a bit but no change yet. Is it a lost cause? I’m going to go get another one to plant nearby like you suggested and see if that helps…

36. Sayalee Bhavsar on July 21, 2021 at 9:39 pm

Hi, I live in Nasik District MH, India where winter temperature is 5-30 degree Celsius and summer 20-42 degree Celsius. We have tremendous production of grapes and strawberries. Please help me which other fruits can be grown in this area.

37. Darlene Pittman on July 21, 2021 at 9:41 pm

When should I plant my trees in zone 6a?

38. Allen James on July 21, 2021 at 9:42 pm

How far away should you plant them from each other? I heard 6 ft radius so 12 feet apart.

39. Veronica Asantewa on July 21, 2021 at 9:43 pm

Thanks for sharing 👍.

40. Wayne Kinne on July 21, 2021 at 9:44 pm

What to do for pests here in Michigan, worms and whatever. What do you do?

41. annie huston on July 21, 2021 at 9:44 pm

How come all the apple tree on you tube don’t tell you how to prune a little apple tree plant still in the pot 6 months old still in the flower pot indoors? The plants is growing tall but the plants are skinny. I have been using a fan. They are little gala apple trees

42. Lydia hiri on July 21, 2021 at 9:44 pm

This is great. So informative and you are very compelling to watch!

43. Jason Rider on July 21, 2021 at 9:45 pm

Ah Spring all around here…no chill hours 😢

44. Michael McConnon on July 21, 2021 at 9:45 pm

I would like to plant an empire apple tree, when is the best time of the year to planet? Also I have a mature cherry tree is that fine for the cross Pollination? Thank you.

45. qeö on July 21, 2021 at 9:45 pm

Hey, I recently just bought a apple baby tree. I was wondering since you were talking about how you recommend to have two apple trees in the area, does it have to be a apple tree? Because I also just recently bought these other two fruit trees. Will it be enough?

46. Eric Cole on July 21, 2021 at 9:47 pm

I’m growing a few from seed and will probably try grafting a branch or two on one. Maybe get some interesting apples

47. Colby Starr on July 21, 2021 at 9:48 pm

I am allergic to them to Luke but I can’t have peaches plums pears nectarines and all other stone fruit but I can have them cooked apples were my favorite food until I was allergic to them

48. mohdnoor generations on July 21, 2021 at 9:51 pm
  49. Casey O'Kelley on July 21, 2021 at 9:52 pm

This old intro slap.

50. Raul Casas on July 21, 2021 at 9:53 pm

I fertilized mine as soon as I planted them and my trees are growing like champs.