THE PERFECT LAYOUT FOR A SMALL, BEGINNER VEGETABLE GARDEN!

THE PERFECT LAYOUT FOR A SMALL, BEGINNER VEGETABLE GARDEN!

We recently had someone ask what we would plant if we only had a 20’x20′ space to grow a vegetable garden. We think we’ve put together the perfect small-scale garden plan.
SOUTH ANNA BUTTERNUT SQUASH SEEDS – https://bit.ly/3bI0ljN
PREMIUM GARDEN SEEDS – https://bit.ly/3bHZPST

#hosstools
#growyourownfood
#beginnervegetablegarden
#vegetablegarden

Check out our other pages:
Website – https://bit.ly/2X77Yer
Facebook – https://facebook.com/hosstools
Instagram – https://instagram.com/hossgardentools
Twitter – https://twitter.com/toolshoss

1. Doug Heinrichs on July 23, 2021 at 8:52 pm

wish I had Georgia soil out here in the hi desert

2. MySuburbanHomestead on July 23, 2021 at 8:52 pm

Learning to read plants is just like learning to read books.

It takes a while to learn but after a while just flows naturally.

3. Anjelica on July 23, 2021 at 8:53 pm

Do you have suggestions for a spring or fall garden for the same size plot?

4. Larry Barbaree on July 23, 2021 at 8:53 pm

Roll Tide!!!

5. Miranda Beaudry on July 23, 2021 at 8:56 pm

“Yaint holdin your mouth right or somethin” 😂😂😂-Travis on how to grow corn

6. Brian Green on July 23, 2021 at 8:56 pm

My cousins live in Georgia.

7. Aaron Bruce on July 23, 2021 at 8:57 pm

Seems to me that gardens are one of them things that exemplifies the saying…."ya get out what ya put in"!
    I really believe everyone was given a green thumb by God, however most people are too overfed to discover it!

8. texheel on July 23, 2021 at 9:01 pm

24:00

9. Urban Backyard Container Gardening on July 23, 2021 at 9:02 pm

Love your show. I’m in zone 10b In Southwest Florida. I’m new to gardening; I have three small raised beds and multiple smart bags. I have my crops started and they are coming along well. Thank you for tutorials as I learn how to get better at gardening.

10. Shelburn James on July 23, 2021 at 9:03 pm

Alaska is the largest state

11. Doug Heinrichs on July 23, 2021 at 9:06 pm

y’all r honest business people. I got a feelin….the impatient customers are the newer gardeners 🙂

12. Nick Casper on July 23, 2021 at 9:07 pm

I’d buy a customized template, that was packaged with the seed varieties. Zone 10, West Palm FL. Grew up gardening in sandy zone 7 in south Jersey. Lots of Caterpillars and root nematodes down here compared to where I grew up. 40×40 space available 2 4×8 beds going now. Goal is to be self sufficient and sell bumper crops in the winter at farmers market down town.

13. Syntychia hint Sin-tee-Sha KS on July 23, 2021 at 9:12 pm

My cousin lives in Marengo County Alabama, he still keeps a kitchen garden. I tell you, my NY taste buds were in heaven the last time I had a chance to visit and taste the produce. That’s so true, get outside and do stuff, growing your own food will lift your spirits and feed your family.

14. Prairie Adventures on July 23, 2021 at 9:12 pm

Travis’s onions look big to me! I prefer small onions that are just enough for a meal so I don’t have half an onion in the fridge gathering bacteria. Good 20×20 garden plan, but I prefer pickling cucumbers to make pickles and as slicing cucumbers. Like the crunch and flavor better than slicers unless they are long small seed types like English cucumber

15. sandy lowry on July 23, 2021 at 9:13 pm

Gaudy onion! Hilarious🤣😂

16. Sandy King Allen on July 23, 2021 at 9:13 pm

I really appreciate the advice on the garden plan! I’m wondering if those rows should run north to south or East to west…or does it matter?

17. gotbacon04 on July 23, 2021 at 9:13 pm

That template idea is Gold. 👍

18. Patrick Cambron on July 23, 2021 at 9:15 pm

Hey Greg and Travis, this is Patrick from Spring, TX. Love the show and thanks for all the gardening advice and products you sell. Most of all thanks for making a show my family and I can all watch together. Wonderful products, fantastic prices and outstanding service. Well, that’s what Hoss Tools means to me.

19. Prairie Adventures on July 23, 2021 at 9:15 pm

I like reading pioneer memoirs and I read about one Kansas pioneer family that really worked hard to provide for their family. They described planting 100 mulberry trees, and I believe they planted 3 types, one that was white. This was in Kansas. I’m from Kansas and mulberry trees lined the banks if the Smoky Hill River, famous for being contested hunting land of the Native Americans and the reason for much of the fighting during the Indian wars. I suspect the seeds were carried there by birds eating berries from trees planted by pioneers. My best friend and I stood on our old ’55 Dodge Lancer picking Mulberries by the river. Also picked them by an old dry creek as kids and made turnovers with them.

20. Eyeland Zeesurvivor on July 23, 2021 at 9:19 pm

there’s no better remedy … i can testify to the truth of that statement. it reminds me that there is a good tired. mahalo for what y’all do.

21. Barbara Kornegay on July 23, 2021 at 9:23 pm

what is two or three of the best tasting summer squash? My husband does not like zuccini.

22. Bobbi on July 23, 2021 at 9:23 pm

I ordered green bean seeds and they have not germinated. Every other seed came up and are growing fantastic, any suggestions?

23. Brian Green on July 23, 2021 at 9:25 pm

Last year was my first year. We had a great first year. This year we lost almost everything to too much rain

24. KawiLover250 on July 23, 2021 at 9:26 pm

I would love the templates!!! If you do make them, I would appreciate suggestions or templates for succession planting so you could have a garden year round. I have about a 20×20 garden 🤗

25. Noelle Parris on July 23, 2021 at 9:27 pm

If I’m going to have a better garden in my second year than in my first, my second year garden should be amazing! I’ve learned a lot from you two and a few other YouTubers. I’ve always loved outdoor activities but never bothered with a vegetable garden before. It’s been immensely satisfying and also great therapy and exercise.
    Thanks for all that you do. Your show is educational AND entertaining! 👍🏽

26. Doug Heinrichs on July 23, 2021 at 9:28 pm

y’all making the corntine bearable

27. Harry Kersey on July 23, 2021 at 9:29 pm

How bout them Noles ! Lol As you can probably tell ," I’m a big Nole fan . My Mother was in the Glee club at Fla St. that named them . She was a music Major there when it went Co – ed after WWll My Uncle Frank Barber was one of their first QBs we’re from Okeechobee family came from Ga in 1800 and my Grampa back before the civil war Moses Barber hunted spanish cattle and became Americas first Cattle Barron in FLA. And fed the lions share of the Confederate Army from his ranch and farm in FLA . That’s all the history Lesson for today ! See you boys later ! Enjoy !

28. David Carmichael on July 23, 2021 at 9:30 pm

Travis do you eat the stems too?

29. Harold Hinkle on July 23, 2021 at 9:31 pm

You guy’s are awesome about helping new gardeners

30. Tim on July 23, 2021 at 9:32 pm

Which one is the Father?

31. Diet Coke Head on July 23, 2021 at 9:34 pm

you guys are so funny bc I’d be ELATED to have 20×20! I get it bc your business is making a device that caters to people who have medium to large properties.

32. Sandy King Allen on July 23, 2021 at 9:34 pm

Could you suggest a layout for the fall garden (Southeast Louisiana)?

33. Becky Gregg on July 23, 2021 at 9:35 pm

Peas, green beans, maters, cucumbers, catnip

34. S on July 23, 2021 at 9:35 pm

Well last year was first garden in fifteen years it did great I don’t know if this year will as good but hopefully it will .

35. Stephen Smith on July 23, 2021 at 9:37 pm

Help!!. Might be just we have had way too much rain on a daily basis for the last few weeks. BUT.. my wax , bell and banana peppers are all losing lower leaves yellowing and dying off. Flowers are falling off so. Is it the rain or not enough fertilizer.

36. Kristi DeShazo-Ham on July 23, 2021 at 9:39 pm

Thanks for your wisdom… I haven’t put in a garden in a while until this year. My husband built me a paradise. We haven’t spent hardly any money on it, all natural or reused. Your videos and tools are great.

37. Fraser’s Girl on July 23, 2021 at 9:40 pm

I’ve been gardening for fifty years and I love it to pieces. But this next year I will plant a veg garden for the first time. My biggest pest in the garden is grasshoppers! I don’t want to kill beneficial insects but I know they are difficult to control even with insecticides! Please give me your best solution!!? I loved the part about mulberries! When I was very young I was always excited to eat mulberries when they arrived!!

38. Joshua Truelove on July 23, 2021 at 9:41 pm

"No better remedy for depression than a tired back." You should slap that quote on a t-shirt. That is the best thing I have heard all week.

39. Fraser’s Girl on July 23, 2021 at 9:42 pm

I’m in Kansas and my whole yard is Bermuda. It’s a lifelong battle!

40. Chris on July 23, 2021 at 9:42 pm

you become very good at something because you enjoy it and therefore put more time and effort into it. there is no pre-determined single talent. that’s an old idea that has been debunked ages ago.
    also, for many people in this world that are born into a much better life than others, they might become a great success at something, but in reality not be very good at it. it’s quite common in the super rich families.

41. Paula's Natural on July 23, 2021 at 9:43 pm

Excellent video…Deep South Homestead sent me….😊💕🙏

42. Brian Green on July 23, 2021 at 9:43 pm

I love Georgia peaches tho lol

43. Aaron Nelson on July 23, 2021 at 9:44 pm

Travis, the layout you had for the small vegetable garden was a great start, but I need some more info, please. Was that intended to just be a Spring garden? Or was that a Spring & Summer garden? If Spring & Summer, should we use succession plantings in any of those rows? Do we rotate crops if we do succession planting with that layout? What should we plant in those rows in the Fall, to get help prep those rows for next Spring?

I’m a new subscriber, I’m really liking your show, and I REALLY appreciate all the info you’re sharing. Keep up the good work 👍🏽

44. Sharon Morton on July 23, 2021 at 9:44 pm

If you decide to go with the template for new gardeners idea, remember those us who are disabled or in apartments and can only do container gardening.

45. Chelsey Hartmann on July 23, 2021 at 9:44 pm

My dad always says when you roundup bermuda grass, you need to water it and keep it green and healthy beforehand so it can travel through the rhizomes to kill the whole plant. I’m going to double down on my efforts this spring when it comes up again. I will persevere, by God! 💪

46. Katie Kane on July 23, 2021 at 9:47 pm

Howdy gents! New sub here, been getting a small garden bed going since last summer with cardboard, wood chips, chicken litter, alfalfa pellets & then brought in a screened topsoil, aged bark mix. Had to start small due to physical issues but have grow bags & large containers too. Keep posting, Ima needing the help!
    I’m north of you in Dawsonville

47. Matthew Blackwood on July 23, 2021 at 9:47 pm

In the squash row of your 20×20 plot….how far apart would you set the plants? Thanks, my fav garden channel. I live in Bama, Roll Tide!

48. Lucky Gardener on July 23, 2021 at 9:48 pm

I thought you two were friends I wish that my dad was here. Thank you.

49. Brian Green on July 23, 2021 at 9:49 pm

Roll Tide 😁

50. Martin Andrews on July 23, 2021 at 9:50 pm

I’m working on a blueprint of my own but I’d like to hear how ud run your corn in a 20×20. Assuming I’m gonna space the rows 36” and plant em 8-12” apart. Along with some tomatoes and peppers. Some Oakra and squash/zucchini. And just to make it easier I can make it 21’ if need be so I can plant right up to the edge (for hilling purposes)