Get Worms to Work For You in your Vegetable Garden!

Get Worms to Work For You in your Vegetable Garden!

💛 📖 Find out about the GrowVeg book here: https://www.growveg.com/growveg-the-beginners-guide-to-easy-gardening.aspx

Love your soil and the worms in it, and everything else will follow!
Learn how to attract more worms for a healthy, thriving garden.

In this video, Ben gets his hands dirty (and his elbows, shirt…) and gets stuck in where the action truly happens… under ground!

Here is the secret life of worms that usually goes unseen beneath our feet. With lots of close-ups of worms, this may not be for the faint hearted, but we hope you learn to see their beauty!

Make friends with these marvellous little creatures and they will certainly return the favor. Your garden will thank you for it!

If you love growing your own food, why not take a look at our online Garden Planner which is available from several major websites and seed suppliers:
and many more…

To receive more gardening videos subscribe to our channel here: https://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=GrowVeg

If you’ve noticed any pests or beneficial insects in your garden lately please report them to us at https://BigBugHunt.com

1. rawfoodelectric on July 28, 2021 at 9:03 pm

I have 3 bins of worms and soil in my basement! They are 10 years old!

2. Laurence Magee on July 28, 2021 at 9:04 pm

I started a worry this year with just 100 store bought tiger worms and to date I have one of the fastest compost bins ever I love the worry and every bit of veg matter from the kitchen or garden docent go to waste ,, I love em

3. Syed Uddin on July 28, 2021 at 9:05 pm

Thanks for nice videos. I live in tropical climate where soil gets compacted without digging even after putting lots of compost and also surface compost gets very dry. Any advice will be appreciated.

4. Billie Frye on July 28, 2021 at 9:06 pm

Can we feed the worms with like oatmeal? How would I do that if I can.

5. Barbara Acosta on July 28, 2021 at 9:09 pm

I love worms as well and have always encouraged them in my garden. But please warn your viewers about invasive Asian jumping worms. They have destroyed my SIL’S garden in Ohio. They can be brought in inadvertently on your shoes, in soil around transplanted plants, or in leaf mulch from a neighbor. Once they take up residence they are nearly impossible to get rid of.

6. GBL— The Ole Church 5 Acre Homestead on July 28, 2021 at 9:10 pm

💩🪱🧑‍🌾Check out our The Worm Whisperer video!

7. Fabulous Health on July 28, 2021 at 9:10 pm

I live in Texas where it gets really HOT. I have a tumbler compost bin. Could I put some worms in there to aid the composting? Or would the tumbling and heat hurt them?

8. normskimonger on July 28, 2021 at 9:11 pm

I’ve got into the mulching vibe, now I get blackbirds digging up the garden nicking my worms.
    Seeds and veg are flying everywhere. So I suppose one hand the mulching must be working,
    then again they are nicking the very worms I am trying to encourage.
    Can’t wait for to slugs to parachute in.

9. Silvie Jean on July 28, 2021 at 9:12 pm

what is the purpose of empty bottles inverted onto the stakes? near end of video, tia.

10. Tess on July 28, 2021 at 9:13 pm

Three years composting leaves and grass clippings and I have more compost that I can ever use. Nice video!

11. John on July 28, 2021 at 9:13 pm

Add a little lime to your compost pile, the worms need calcium to help them with digestion. Great video Ben. I love how you promote no dig gardens and lashings of mulch. 👍

12. Richard Archer on July 28, 2021 at 9:14 pm

@GrowVeg – I have seen quite a few stories recently about the Asian Jumping Earthworm infestation in the USA that is damaging the ecosystem in many forests. Most of the people writing about them indicate that on a net basis, all worms have an overall negative effect on natural plant ecosystems, not just the Asian interlopers.

13. Paula de B T on July 28, 2021 at 9:15 pm

do i need to add worms to a compost bin/bag i’ve just started? Or do they just find their way there?

14. Donna Gelinas on July 28, 2021 at 9:15 pm

I have a worm bin and feed them weekly.

15. Becky Warren on July 28, 2021 at 9:17 pm

@5:54 there’s a shot of a garden with pop bottles on stakes holding up netting? What’s the purpose of the pop bottles?

16. WinsomeWinslet on July 28, 2021 at 9:18 pm

Loved this video! We started a worm bin last year and used the worm tea on everything. Best garden ever! Our tomatoes produced hundreds of pounds each and this had never happened before.

17. Claire Louisy on July 28, 2021 at 9:20 pm

My favorite organisms.

18. David's Allotment on July 28, 2021 at 9:20 pm

Excellent video GrowVeg. I plan to get some Tiger worms to put in my compost area as you mentioned to speed up the decomposing of the organic materials.

19. singleman on July 28, 2021 at 9:21 pm

Another WELL done video Sir. IMO, worm health is the best reason for ‘no till’ practices. I have ‘red wiggler’ worm beds under all of my wire rabbit and quail cages. Managed properly, worm populations will explode exponentially every 30 days. The worms I can’t sell on-line go to the livestock. FREE protein AND compost at NO cost. Mimic Nature and thrive.

20. Legend0222 on July 28, 2021 at 9:22 pm

Thank for the video, just moved and starting a new garden I’m laying down leaves from last year and I plan to add twigs, grass clippings and maybe even horse manure this summer to get the area ready for next spring, hopefully the worms will help me!

21. Daily Life and Nature on July 28, 2021 at 9:22 pm

Good video that you show us worms to work in vegetable garden , in my garden there are many in garden bed as well , thanks for sharing nice content

22. Linda Edwards on July 28, 2021 at 9:24 pm

In the wintertime I compost all of my kitchen scrap in my raised beds and the worms absolutely love banana peels. They go through those as fast as I can put them in . I also put my discarded coffee grounds in there as well.

23. The Home Improver on July 28, 2021 at 9:26 pm

I have tons of worms in my planters (can’t do ground gardening). So I use plenty of compost and mulches to help them and they can help my plants!

24. Len Chen on July 28, 2021 at 9:26 pm

i Like worms in my soil,,, and although my garden is very small i bought compost bag so i could collected healthy composts for my soils and my vegetables are healthy too.. since 2 yeras ago i never use chemical pesticides..just let the plants cure herself with healthy soil

25. Simple Perrydise life! on July 28, 2021 at 9:27 pm

I cover my garden beds with leaves in the fall. They (worms)love that. In the spring when I plant, they are everywhere.
    Thanks for sharing so much useful information!
    ❤🙏

26. TYSON JNR 7 on July 28, 2021 at 9:27 pm

Great video

I was looking into a worm farm a few weeks ago.
    Very cheap to make just need a few of the plastic drawers that you get out of B&Q.

27. Scott and Michelle Harrell on July 28, 2021 at 9:30 pm

I just installed sonic mole repellents around my new raise beds – so far they are working. Moles have destroyed the yard in front and back of our house … we live on 10 acres of pasture land. Because of them we have NO worms. What can I do to get some worms in my garden beds. I was thinking about buying some from local bait shop.

28. Paulo Sérgio Sérgio Paulo on July 28, 2021 at 9:31 pm

I myself have tons of them in my backyard and feed them with manure.
    Thanks for the information.

29. mac red on July 28, 2021 at 9:34 pm

How do you combat New Zealand flat worms?

30. Scott H on July 28, 2021 at 9:35 pm

#WormsLivesMatter 🙂

31. nysigal on July 28, 2021 at 9:35 pm

Love your enthusiam! What is the tree with the white blossoms? I have the same in the house I just bought and don’t know what it is.

32. David Wood on July 28, 2021 at 9:37 pm

The worms that were put into my compost were immediately eaten by a mole.

33. Ian S Cash on July 28, 2021 at 9:37 pm

I use tobe a worm farmer, if the weather is going to really cold to protect your worm bed cover with cardboard or old carpet

34. Jeannette Lawson on July 28, 2021 at 9:38 pm

Excellent video. I have gardened since I was a small child. Now as an older adult and a Master Gardener I’m always learning something new and your videos are very educational and inspiring. Recently I have started ‘no till’ gardening and I love it. So much good advice in this video and thanks for the picture of the plastic bottles on the stakes with the bird netting, I’m definitely going to try that on my strawberries this year.

35. Jennifer Free on July 28, 2021 at 9:39 pm

Thank you so much Ben, so informative

36. DC Voices on July 28, 2021 at 9:40 pm

How have the Beeb not signed you up?

Great stuff!

37. Alexander Roberts on July 28, 2021 at 9:42 pm

Worms absolutely love my compost bins as it gets at least 3 litter boxes full from my Rabbit each week! Shredded paper, timothy hay and of course the poops!!!!! This goes on the Veg Garden in Spring, mid summer and Fall. Oh, and because I live in Canada I line my Fabric Pots with a base of this for my Cannabis Plants and they love it!

38. Gail Thornbury on July 28, 2021 at 9:42 pm

I have a large unkempt wild area I’m bringing under cultivation. I strimmed it all down and for a couple of years I have been layering grass cuttings and leaves and rabbit and chicken bedding. Cardboard in parts too. You should see the worms. Thousands of them. Makes me wonder why I bother with my worm bins.

39. sky _ on July 28, 2021 at 9:44 pm

0:19 that’s a funny looking worm back there

40. Shireen Shahizad on July 28, 2021 at 9:45 pm

I love your videos! Your enthusiasm and really clear explanations make me really interested in what you’re talking about. Now I love worms!!

41. Lindsey Churchill on July 28, 2021 at 9:46 pm

42. My Suburban Adventures on July 28, 2021 at 9:46 pm

Great info thanks

43. Jeff on July 28, 2021 at 9:50 pm

Excellent advice, Ben. I’ve got raised beds full of loose, fluffy, soil & compost that I’ve been layering for a few years now. I just planted my pepper plants this afternoon & almost grabbed my spade, then decided to go for the big garden fork instead. Glad I did, because there were so many worms, lol. I’m glad I didn’t kill any of them.

44. Sherry McAfee on July 28, 2021 at 9:50 pm

May I ask how you control weeds & grass in your garden? I pulled the grass & weeds up or hoed it, put the weed barrier paper down & bark chips on top of that. Still have grass to grow thru. 😟

45. Wayne Flanigan on July 28, 2021 at 9:53 pm

Earthworms are a rarity where I live in South Carolina.
    I have a backyard garden 23′ by 25′ and the sandy soil has had garden soil and compost tilled in for two years and I’ve only seen 2 worms.
    And that was by accident when transplanting from indoors.

46. Charles Hillier on July 28, 2021 at 9:54 pm

If I have a raised bed off the ground, can I buy worms to put in it?

47. Michael Lindsay on July 28, 2021 at 9:55 pm

Love the video iv made 4 tons on compost organic gardenr me keep them coming

48. Marie Buhtz on July 28, 2021 at 9:59 pm

We started a worm bin last fall as a school project, and I’m excited to add the casings and liquid to my plants this spring!

49. Diana's Sprouted on July 28, 2021 at 10:01 pm

Thank you this great video!
    I have had a worm tower for a year they are barely creating compost soil. I think I should put them in my garden or outside compost heap. What is your recommendation ?

50. Mark Keith on July 28, 2021 at 10:01 pm

I have a worm bin (where I put all my kitchen scraps and bulk mail) that I keep in my garage during the winter and move outdoors in the summer