Planting a Privacy Screen // Gardening with Creekside

Planting a Privacy Screen // Gardening with Creekside

Robert Frost penned the phrase “good fences make good neighbors”, and what could be a more beautiful fence than one made up of beautiful trees?! This past week we planted a privacy screen along the back edge of our property using Thuja Green Giants and Burkii Eastern Redcedars to ensure that we will continue to have privacy in our backyard. Join us as we walk you through the process of planting these low maintenance, fast growing, gorgeous trees.

Stay Connected with Gardening with Creekside

Website https://www.gardeningwithcreekside.com/
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/CreeksideNurseryInc
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/creeksidenursery/
Email jenny@gardeningwithcreekside.com

Creekside Nursery
181 Pine Hollow Dr
Dallas, NC, 28034

1. Shirley Senkler on July 28, 2021 at 9:19 pm

That will be gorgeous in a few years when the Green Giants have a few years growth.

2. The Monte Phone on July 28, 2021 at 9:22 pm

I just realized that they are trees (the look is different from what I know as a tree)…my mind was registering them as bushes.
    Interesting.

3. Laura Jane Sherman on July 28, 2021 at 9:23 pm

Haha… it’s 2020! This is a very instructive video! I’m looking forward to being able to plant some privacy trees 🌲

4. S.M. Elder on July 28, 2021 at 9:23 pm

I love your music!

5. L Angela Tallent on July 28, 2021 at 9:23 pm

What is the massive green tree in the background 🤔? It is gorgeous!!! And so are the ones you planted!!!

6. Donna Terry on July 28, 2021 at 9:23 pm

Relaxing video music.

7. Katherine Cornette on July 28, 2021 at 9:24 pm

Beautiful! Great teamwork! Love your music choice!

8. Ioana S on July 28, 2021 at 9:25 pm

who knows what is gonna happen its 2020 😂

9. Michelle Carver on July 28, 2021 at 9:26 pm

That’s going to be beautiful!!! I’m surprised the metal cage stays! Do the roots just grow through it? I think the video says it eventually breaks down, was that the burlap only?

10. Zdenka priezvisko on July 28, 2021 at 9:26 pm

Thank you for beautiful music. I love it.

11. Cindy - DWELLINGS - The Heart of Your Home on July 28, 2021 at 9:29 pm

Love these!
    In the next day recap, what is that “huge” evergreen back to the lest behind you?

12. missdeeva2266 on July 28, 2021 at 9:32 pm

I didn’t know you could leave the wire and burlap! Could have saved myself alot of time and effort when we planted ours.

13. Karen Temple on July 28, 2021 at 9:34 pm

Another great video. The trees are so mighty and beautiful. Thanks for sharing.😁

14. Tracy’s Home & Garden on July 28, 2021 at 9:34 pm

Love planting videos Jenny…the blueish tone colour of those giants….👍🤗

15. The Monte Phone on July 28, 2021 at 9:36 pm

Great dig…I didn’t really realize that prep work would be like that…very simple and organized.

16. Logan Simpson on July 28, 2021 at 9:36 pm

Great video from the best nephew in the entire world

17. Sara C. on July 28, 2021 at 9:37 pm

Hi! what kind of tree is behind you at the minute 16:06?Pinus wallichiana?

18. ROBERT BAKER on July 28, 2021 at 9:37 pm

Oh, how I love your fun and informative videos! Wow, the music was so charming! 💚 Linda

19. Mary Mann on July 28, 2021 at 9:38 pm

Neither of these trees are listed as toxic to horses. Great if you are looking for a privacy screen around paddocks. I just planted 17 green giant thujas together with some little gem magnolias along a property line on my horse property.

20. J C on July 28, 2021 at 9:39 pm

How old is the Cryptomeria behind you & are they fast growing? TY

21. Cruz Cambranes on July 28, 2021 at 9:41 pm

13:10 swats bug 🤣🤣🤣

22. KMW on July 28, 2021 at 9:42 pm

Music on point! 👏🏼👏🏼

23. Dorene Nagy on July 28, 2021 at 9:42 pm

Those are beautiful. My concern here would be snow. I’m in zone 6 and I can just picture 9 inches of snow breaking those branches. Snow destroyed two of my Bradford Pears that were about 16 years old. Broke them completely down. We had an early snow and as you probably know, the Bradford’s are our last tree to lose it’s leaves. We went to bed that night and heard trees falling everywhere. Got up the next morning and it broke my trees along with quite a few in the woods. We live in a hollow and have woods at the front of the house and also the back. Broke my heart. Stay safe, stay well.

24. Mary Thomson on July 28, 2021 at 9:45 pm

That will be beautiful!!

25. james robbins on July 28, 2021 at 9:45 pm

☹️ we have huge native Red Cedars along our line that are breaking now in wind storms and ice. We lost one last week and are in the process off removing them. How do the ones your planting handle wind and ice compared to native Red Cedars?

26. Majo Heras on July 28, 2021 at 9:45 pm

Would have loved to see the full end result! Thanks for the video!

27. mary lynn Haynes on July 28, 2021 at 9:47 pm

How long do you think till they will be kissing each other really? Like 6 or 7 years I’m guessing. I believe in planting the right plants in the right place. I think you did that. Good job.

28. The Monte Phone on July 28, 2021 at 9:48 pm

So thorough…I appreciate the explanation and advice.
    Noticing the spatial areas…I thought they would be flushed to the line…20’ is 20’ radius…I see the wisdom by keeping away from the line,
    Some property owners flush-up the the line…

29. Georgia Cahoone on July 28, 2021 at 9:49 pm

I’m getting ready to do the same between my neighbor and myself. I am all ears. Thank you

30. Urban Window Farmer on July 28, 2021 at 9:49 pm

Hard work! Awesome results. 🌿🌵🥒🌾🌱🍃

31. pam ketron on July 28, 2021 at 9:50 pm

I had no idea not to put any in-ground potting soil in the holes. Also, I didn’t know to leave the cage and all with the tree. I have been using Biotone the last couple of years and it makes a huge difference. I have a few spaces that I will be planting some new trees in. I’ve done it wrong all these years by adding some soil to the hole but I always use the red clay to finish it off with and a good layer of mulch. Never heard of the Burkii cedar but I do love it. Will be looking for one of those next year. Cedar is native to me and they kinda pop up everywhere. Wish y’all were a little closer to me in Northeast TN. Would love to visit your nursery. Take care and stay safe in these crazy times. 🌲💕

32. Will Aerley on July 28, 2021 at 9:51 pm

If you lived in CT, with our rocky soil, would you amend it and plant deeper?

33. The Monte Phone on July 28, 2021 at 9:53 pm

Oh! ?how did I miss this?!
    (Ah…family emergency.
    T y, YouTube…glad I subscribed!)

34. Emma Lavenham on July 28, 2021 at 9:58 pm

Thank you for sharing the journey of trees from grower to the ground. Burkii are such beautiful trees! Sadly, we cannot plant them because they are junipers, and therefore can act as an intermediate host for cedar/apple rust which can wreak havoc on our apple trees…

35. Jeanne Brinkman on July 28, 2021 at 9:58 pm

Great looking trees💚💚💚
    Do you have trouble with deer trying to eat on the trees?
    The deer in Michigan love all the trees we plant🤷‍♀️
    Got smart this time…. put a snow fence around my new dogwood… 🤞 fingers crossed.
    Always enjoy the videos❤️

36. Lyn Buerkett on July 28, 2021 at 9:58 pm

Do the green giants have a single leader? One thing I don’t love about arborvitae is the split top….

37. Marilyn Baldwin on July 28, 2021 at 10:01 pm

Those trees are beautiful! You explain things so well! You and Jerry are such a great couple love to watch you work together

38. Archie Brown on July 28, 2021 at 10:02 pm

Looking awesome will look great in time think ahead you should under plant them with daffodils tulips and spring pansys until they mature it would be a great back drop for spring colour in the mulched beds also gives you pop of colour and the bulbs may naturalise underneath the trees if you forget about them great for early bees

39. K Teaching on July 28, 2021 at 10:04 pm

great music Christine! some time can you play ‘Tis a Gift to be Simple Tis a Gift to be Free’?

40. S.M. Elder on July 28, 2021 at 10:05 pm

I would enjoy watching those trees grow!

41. Ekeenan86 on July 28, 2021 at 10:06 pm

How are you going to keep the deer off of these?

42. Roe Ventures LLC on July 28, 2021 at 10:08 pm

My fav word is auger.

43. Fredi Olson on July 28, 2021 at 10:09 pm

Looks great.

44. Seema S on July 28, 2021 at 10:09 pm

Beautiful trees and gardening! Burkii resembles blue moon juniper, very pretty! How far apart did you plant the green giants from burkii? Do you ship to NY? I live in zoon 6.

45. Monica Sebastian on July 28, 2021 at 10:13 pm

Couldn’t be more perfect

46. timmbos on July 28, 2021 at 10:14 pm

Thank you for this video. I’m in middle TN and building a new house now. I love the cedars in that size. What does a tree that size cost on average? Also what is the labor cost per tree to drill and set them? Thank you.

47. Amy M on July 28, 2021 at 10:15 pm

Thank you for showing us these beautiful Burkii trees! I had never heard of this variety and they are gorgeous! ❤️

48. tylinall on July 28, 2021 at 10:15 pm

Beautiful!!

49. The Monte Phone on July 28, 2021 at 10:16 pm

Jerry!

50. I KILL PRETTY THINGZ on July 28, 2021 at 10:17 pm

Sweet thing is doing a fantastic job! Lucky girl 😙💕👍👍 and wow the Birkey is huge!!!