DIY Self-Watering Raised Planter Bed (Sub-irrigation system)

DIY Self-Watering Raised Planter Bed (Sub-irrigation system)

See how I built this Modern self-watering raised garden bed with a built-in sub-irrigation system step-by-step. It is perfect for small backyards and balconies because you don’t have to run a drip line through! Or if you just don’t want to remember to water every day ๐Ÿ™‚
I am collaborating with my friend Angela @Angela Marie Made to bring you spring projects.
Check out Angela’s beautiful potting bench – https://youtu.be/PprBpFMzOps

My full post with plans and complete supply list – https://www.anikasdiylife.com/diy-self-watering-planter/

How does self-irrigation work? – https://www.anikasdiylife.com/diy-self-watering-planter/#h-7-week-planter-update

7-week update on the planter – https://www.anikasdiylife.com/diy-self-watering-planter/#h-7-week-planter-update

The tutorial I found the most helpful on sub-irrigation systems – https://youtu.be/Lp9Jdyno9hI

1. Jennifer Bell on August 2, 2021 at 9:32 pm

Iโ€™m following. I am curious to know if you will have a problem with root rot since itโ€™s lined.

2. Jensen Kwok on August 2, 2021 at 9:32 pm

Tremendous lumber cost

3. Omi Sido on August 2, 2021 at 9:34 pm

Love it… ๐Ÿ‘ will build the same this week ๐Ÿ˜Š

4. Frank Gori on August 2, 2021 at 9:34 pm

Step 1 hock a diamond ring for the lumber costs!

5. Pip Mill on August 2, 2021 at 9:34 pm

Nice planter, if you have a garden you can put holes in an old pop bottle (2-3ltr) out holes in it and sink it in the soil. It pushes the water down so you water from underneath. Cheaper and easier.
    Great idea for the planter as you get months rather than a week or few days with the pop bottle.

6. Jofil Vas on August 2, 2021 at 9:36 pm

Self watering
    Detailing incomplete…
    Need thorough studies…

7. Paul Del Giudice on August 2, 2021 at 9:36 pm

Good job ๐Ÿ‘

8. Rajesh chauhan on August 2, 2021 at 9:37 pm

What happen when it rains ? Does that overflow with over after ?

9. Lizzy Smiley on August 2, 2021 at 9:38 pm

Great job ๐Ÿ‘I love it ๐Ÿ˜€ I want to make two of them for my daughter ๐Ÿ˜€I love the idea of it being self watering because Iโ€™m not good on watering anything but myself lol

10. Peter D on August 2, 2021 at 9:40 pm

pond liner is plastic and May contaminate your vegetables

11. You Can Do It Too on August 2, 2021 at 9:40 pm

Wow, I’m so impressed. I love the planter and would like to try making this myself without the self-watering feature (I’m pretty good at watering my plants daily).

12. Sam Smith on August 2, 2021 at 9:42 pm

Hey Anika, Iโ€™m gonna try the self watering system. You said you mix vermiculite and peat moss 2 parts to 1. Whatโ€™s the measure used, or do you eyeball it by volume? Would you recommend rough vermiculite bigger pieces)? Thank you!

13. Swagger Do on August 2, 2021 at 9:43 pm

@3:40 – Om Namah Shivaya! Blessings from Lord Shiva, for making Anika’s stain application technique flawless; such that not one drop of stain hit the pool’s concrete.

14. charmaine on August 2, 2021 at 9:44 pm

Nice job, Anika! <3 it! Love the carpentry part!

15. Shelley Sellars-Smith on August 2, 2021 at 9:46 pm

Great idea! I love this planter…

16. Rod Ross on August 2, 2021 at 9:46 pm

Today was my first time to your page and absolutely LOVED it!. Great tutorial!

17. Joe CNC on August 2, 2021 at 9:47 pm

Might not be a bad idea to put some garden cloth over the perforated tubing and up the sides – to help keep dirt from clogging the drain holes and filling the pipe. I use these types of SIP’s at my Up North property – and they work great! You can leave them for 3-4 weeks and will still being doing well. My bigger problem is to keep the deer out (which then made me put a hoop house over top of them.

18. Sur Charan on August 2, 2021 at 9:47 pm

This was so awesome! Im ready to build!

19. More Rajesh on August 2, 2021 at 9:48 pm

3 individual hose pipe covered with Tape and how it connected each other by water

20. Matthew S Redhead on August 2, 2021 at 9:50 pm

What are the other tubing for? You only need 1

21. udang manis on August 2, 2021 at 9:51 pm

failed project

22. Benjamin Duggan on August 2, 2021 at 9:52 pm

Great video! Please donโ€™t use peat moss as itโ€™s so bad for the environment!!

23. Yvonne on August 2, 2021 at 9:52 pm

I like the planter being deep as i think i could grow watermelon in that thing

24. PHIL S on August 2, 2021 at 9:58 pm

How can it be self watering because at some point it will need to be refilled with water to me this is just a simple type of bog garden

25. Aspiring on August 2, 2021 at 9:59 pm

Isnโ€™t it cheaper to buy a pre-made one. With all the tools, the helper and skillset required, Iโ€™ll estimate this to cost 200+ on the cheap side.

26. Zippypep on August 2, 2021 at 10:02 pm

This is great. What can you do if you don’t have a pocket jig …

27. joseph croft on August 2, 2021 at 10:04 pm

i made one from old pallets & used normal 100mm drain pipe with lots of holes drilled into it and the outlet pipe half way up

28. Raffi Marhaba on August 2, 2021 at 10:05 pm

Wow this is gorgeous!! Could you recommend what kind of drill bits you use? I broke one off yesterday and I donโ€™t know what Iโ€™m doing wrong ๐Ÿ˜–

29. john epperson on August 2, 2021 at 10:06 pm

Very nice job ! And you got some help from your family as well! Thank You Anika.

30. We. R. On. R. Way. Back on August 2, 2021 at 10:06 pm

Reminds me of filling up the bath tub….without putting the plug in. ๐Ÿ˜•

31. eSantone03 on August 2, 2021 at 10:07 pm

does anyone know if harmful bacteria can grow with DIY raised gardens irrigation? also how to we drain all the moisture and water for the off season??

32. BiberGoopher on August 2, 2021 at 10:08 pm

Much obliged to the creator of this plan for sharing such awesome work of yours in an extremely moderate expense woodplans.works The nature of the work and the materials far surpasses the cost. This is the best offer as such.

33. ุณูŠู ุงุจุฑุงู‡ูŠู… on August 2, 2021 at 10:08 pm

ุนู…ู„ ุฌูŠุฏ ๐Ÿค ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ฆโค๏ธ

34. Que Vedz on August 2, 2021 at 10:09 pm

Why do people like to plant?

35. MiniMe Guju on August 2, 2021 at 10:11 pm

Shouldnโ€™t the drain hole be higher than the pipe diameter for it to hold water in the pipe?

36. S Berger on August 2, 2021 at 10:15 pm

Why would you have the water coming out at the same level as it is going in, also why did you put the dirt directly on the pipe? This will only clog the holes. This is not a proper wicking system. Nice tools.

37. MacKenzie LumberMill on August 2, 2021 at 10:16 pm

I will be building this and making a video this week! Can’t wait, thank you for the inspiration and instructions xoxo Sandy DIY

38. Alnilana Sims on August 2, 2021 at 10:16 pm

Great project! I might recommend covering all four drainage tubes with landscape fabric prior to filling with soil so that the drainage holes do not get clogged with soil as the water moves back and forth.

39. Jose Olivas on August 2, 2021 at 10:16 pm

So how do the other pipes get water? Need better explanation.

40. Dino Korah on August 2, 2021 at 10:18 pm

Love the looks of the planter; what a great idea.

On the leak situation, I wonder if it would have been better if you added on the side at the lowest point from inside and then add a few holes to the liner all the around, a few inches above the reservoir. That way the excess water would seep out from the planting medium once the reservoir is full. An extra layer of the liner might be required, up to a a few inches above the holes in the inside liner, to protect the wood.

41. Swagger Do on August 2, 2021 at 10:18 pm

// pulls out pond liner, to create water tight seal inside the planter // –> first thought: ROOT ROT.

42. hajary2y on August 2, 2021 at 10:19 pm

Great idea planning on doing it for my herb garden. I just thought maybe you didnโ€™t need to cut the pipe , just fold it instead so you donโ€™t have to deal with possible leaks and this way the water will have one continuous source and drain

43. Addzy on August 2, 2021 at 10:19 pm

Please mulch as well. Always mulch!

44. Tony McLachlan on August 2, 2021 at 10:20 pm

More money than sense. What an absolutely ridiculous waste of expensive materials. Pour water in the top, then, just for laughs, drill a hole at the bottom for it to come out of. Best laugh I’ve had in ages. What the hell were you thinking??

Oh right, you didn’t. Hahaha, brilliant, still giggling

45. akadhsu on August 2, 2021 at 10:21 pm

You can use zip ties to tie the ends of the pipes instead of using duct tapes.
    what stain color on the box you used?

46. More Rajesh on August 2, 2021 at 10:21 pm

Great idea

47. Fernando Roque on August 2, 2021 at 10:25 pm

I saw this and thought "that is awesome! But how do i make it so that I use less plastic? ๐Ÿค”"

Instead of plastic hoses, use 8 pot hooks sideways and rest a sheet of plywood with 1/4 inch gap around. Cut half inch holes for drainage around the top of the first chamber (2 on each wall should be fine). Then use old cotton sweats or shirts as a wick to bring water from the lower chamber to the top soil. As for the PVC, cut an inlet hole right below the plywood of the topsoil big enough for a garden hose. When the water reaches the top of the bottom chamber it will drain out off the drain holes and use the cotton to mive water to the soil. No plastic and no PVC. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

48. Simple Tek on August 2, 2021 at 10:26 pm

nice wicking pot

49. SK Nambisan on August 2, 2021 at 10:26 pm

Great, I just did similar one myself. You are really professional

50. Heather Valencia on August 2, 2021 at 10:26 pm

She’s got some money to be able to afford all that wood during these trying times. lol