What can you still Plant in July? [Zones 7 and 8]

What can you still Plant in July? [Zones 7 and 8]

The hot weather is upon us now if you live in gardening zones 7 and 8. But that doesn’t mean there aren’t still a few plants you can be putting into your garden.

In Zone 7 you need to start thinking about how long you have until your first frost. As long as you still have about 10 weeks or more then you can plant all of the vegetables on this list. Those of you living in gardening zone 8 will still have plenty of time to get any of the plants on this list planted and brought to full maturity in your backyard garden.

Here’s the list:
Zucchini
Yellow Crookneck Squash
Patty Pan
Cucumbers
Maybe some winter squashes
Beans
Maybe Okra
Swiss Chard
Collards
Kale
New Zealand Spinach

In Zone 7 you should also start the following seedlings indoors to go out in your garden 8 weeks before your first fall frost.
Broccoli
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Kale
Brussel Sprouts
Kohlrabi
Collards
You can learn more about planting these seedlings indoors from this video:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Join our Free Year-Round Gardening Mini-Course here:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don’t know what garden Zone you live in? Check out this article on our website to find out: https://ourstoneyacres.com/what-is-my-garden-zone
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Do you live in Zones 3 or 4? Watch your video here:

Do you live in Zones 9 or 10? Watch your video here:

Do you live in Zones 5 or 6? Watch your video here:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Learn more about what to plant in Zones 7 & 8 in July by reading this article:

July Planting List: Zones 7 & 8

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Join the Gardening Academy:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Are you new to Gardening? Check out our Free New Gardeners Workshop! It is a great way to learn some of the basics of growing a new garden. All you need to do to get the workshop for free is sign up for our weekly newsletter! Follow this link to sign up:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Would you like more of Our Stoney Acres?

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ourstoneyacres/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/OurStoneyAcres/

Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/stoneyacres/

More Great Gardening Tips on our website:

1. ourstoneyacres on August 2, 2021 at 9:26 pm

Here’s your planting guide for zones 7 and 8, enjoy!

2. Ashley Rimel on August 2, 2021 at 9:28 pm

When starting seeds for fall crops, do I have to start them indoors or could I start them outdoors in trays? I’m limited on space. Thanks in advance

3. Bestyet Journey on August 2, 2021 at 9:32 pm

My first frost day is October 21😋🤗🌍

4. Sarah on August 2, 2021 at 9:33 pm

Would any of this apply to zone 6a?

5. thisgoodsweetheart on August 2, 2021 at 9:38 pm

I planted cucumbers and zucchini in the beginning of the season (April-ish) and their leaves are growing great with plenty of flowers/buds but absolutely no fruit. Not even any sign of fruits. I just don’t know if I should give up on them and use the space for lettuce and things I know can grow before the first frost or if I should give them more time. Does anyone have advice?!?!?

6. Couponing With Dee on August 2, 2021 at 9:40 pm

Thx for the info. It really does help😊

7. Sydney Strickland on August 2, 2021 at 9:40 pm

Thank you awesome video!

8. MyTNMtn Home on August 2, 2021 at 9:42 pm

Hi, What type of peas are best for Fall? English, snap or snow? Thank you.

9. Gil Shelley on August 2, 2021 at 9:42 pm

Whoa! You are discounting the fact that zone 8b has what is essentially a nuclear winter in July and August. We routinely exceed 90 degrees and 90% humidity. The pollen of many plants die at these temperatures. Diseases become a severe limiting factor and insects can be of biblical proportions. The night temperatures are often in the 80’s stopping most fruiting in its tracks. How about discussing plants that have a realistic chance of survival. Brassicas — not here my friend.

10. Wayne Flanigan on August 2, 2021 at 9:42 pm

I’m in Zone 8a, North Coastal South Carolina inland from North Myrtle Beach and near the North Carolina Border.
    Growing season lasts until mid to late November, so we can plant just about anything that will mature in 135-145 days from now.
    I just planted Pumpkins and Sugar Baby Watermelon last week. The main (small) garden was planted in mid May. Sweet Corn is 7′ tall and tasseling.
    Harvesting beans and peppers already, sweet peas soon and tomatoes in a few weeks. I’m growing Strawberries from live roots indoors under a LED Grow Light, flowers already after 2 weeks.

11. Frances Lee on August 2, 2021 at 9:42 pm

What zone is california?

12. M. Amet on August 2, 2021 at 9:43 pm

Zone 7a doesn’t get their first frost date for most parts until late late October, if not even early November, way more than 8 weeks from July. In July we still have about 90+ days of growing season and people even plant corn the first week of July here

13. Chris Rose on August 2, 2021 at 9:47 pm

Thank you very much! It seems that I have already got the correct crops in place

14. Neob on August 2, 2021 at 9:47 pm

♥️

15. Geri Reski on August 2, 2021 at 9:48 pm

When is a good time to plant romaine in zone 7

16. Patricia Nelson on August 2, 2021 at 9:50 pm

My zuchs are going crazy now. I’m trying cilantro to see if they will grow this late.

17. OT Teletherapy on August 2, 2021 at 9:50 pm

great video!! Thanks much, I’m in zone 7 and gardening is new to me…knowing what to plant and when according to your zone was always confusing to me. Thanks 4 this

18. Stoney on August 2, 2021 at 9:51 pm

Howdy from a fellow Stone, (I’m Steve) stuck up in zone 5a in Maine… great channel, causing a bit of "zone envy" but we’re makin it work up here.

19. skittles99 on August 2, 2021 at 9:51 pm

Do you have a video for zone 5/6?

20. L M on August 2, 2021 at 9:53 pm

Thanks super helpful the way you have links and descriptions. Love the channel especially tt
    He breakdown of different zones bcitmakes a big difference rather than a one size fits all gardening information

21. Prague in Bloom on August 2, 2021 at 9:54 pm

Thanks for these useful tips, I´d like to plant some beans if I find a spare time to buy new soil…

22. Pretzel Logic on August 2, 2021 at 9:55 pm

Does it matter if it is zone 7a or 7 b ? Thank you ! 🌻

23. Sue Merritt on August 2, 2021 at 9:57 pm

I am in zone 7 middle GA. Won’t beans drop their blooms in the heat if planted now?

24. Todd Burgess on August 2, 2021 at 9:57 pm

Thanks. As a newbie, I was a-feared I was too late to fill in the empty spots in the garden. The early lettuce didn’t sprout, so that’ll be Swiss Chard!! 🙂

25. R J on August 2, 2021 at 9:57 pm

New subscriber. When you say ready for planting? Do you mean direct seed them outdoors?

26. Point Blank Eloquence on August 2, 2021 at 9:58 pm

Thank you! I’m in zone 7

27. absurd nerd on August 2, 2021 at 9:58 pm

None of the stores in my zone (6b) have vegetable seeds. 🙁

28. Lowcountry Gardener on August 2, 2021 at 9:58 pm

Pretty new subscriber here. Love these type of videos on what to plant, seed, sow, etc… each month.

29. Charlie Williams on August 2, 2021 at 10:00 pm

When would I plant my fall carrots

30. Ashley Vadum on August 2, 2021 at 10:00 pm

Radishes only take about 4 weeks to grow from seeds.

31. Heidi Misfeldt on August 2, 2021 at 10:01 pm

Sowing in July….
    Summer squashes
    Cucumbers
    Beans
    Leafy greens, like swiss chard
    Transplants of plant starts, brassicas

32. TamWilson on August 2, 2021 at 10:02 pm

Can I start these indoors or direct sew…specifically Cucumbers

33. Ashley McDonald on August 2, 2021 at 10:02 pm

This video is soooo needed, thank you so much, bc its so specific especially for knowledge on a particular zone

34. Melanie Francis on August 2, 2021 at 10:06 pm

Really helpful guides, thank you!

35. Aaron S. on August 2, 2021 at 10:07 pm

Potatoes

36. Mahira Siddiqi on August 2, 2021 at 10:08 pm

Are the plants listed for July to be sowed with seeds? Or would I already need a small plant?

37. Healthy Disrespect for Authority on August 2, 2021 at 10:12 pm

I’m kinda bummed about bell peppers not being on the list.. I have some barely started inside since my first planting didn’t come up.

38. Chiquita on August 2, 2021 at 10:13 pm

Could you please tell me what zone is San Antonio, Texas. Have never been able to figure that out. Thank you in advance…íc

39. Geri Reski on August 2, 2021 at 10:13 pm

How about greenhouse plants for zone 7 location?

40. Diane Weber on August 2, 2021 at 10:14 pm

Can I start rutabagas in zone 7 at the end of July for my fall crop?

41. Lana Ebarb on August 2, 2021 at 10:14 pm

I live in Zone 8, (9 miles from the Northern Louisiana border), when can Purple Hull Peas be planted?

42. Calcat737 on August 2, 2021 at 10:15 pm

I’m in zone 7 is it too late to plant beans, cucumbers and brocolli in containers from seeds?

43. Eric Markum on August 2, 2021 at 10:17 pm

Thanks so much

44. Tarannum Tasnim on August 2, 2021 at 10:18 pm

What about spinach and beets?

45. Kandi McCann on August 2, 2021 at 10:19 pm

So valuable this information is

46. ACEPOPPIN on August 2, 2021 at 10:21 pm

Zone 8a. Can i still do peppers?

47. Sillo nillo on August 2, 2021 at 10:23 pm

Can you make one for zone 10 in July?

48. Alex and the search for happiness on August 2, 2021 at 10:24 pm

did you upload one for zone 6 & 7???

49. Michelle Sophie on August 2, 2021 at 10:24 pm

Thank you for the videos & info. I live in central oklahoma & this is my first REAL garden. I’ve planted a few things over the years but this year did quite a lot for my small yard. My tomatoes are all taking off with little green baby tomatoes and little fingerling sized yellow squash as well as cucumbers and 1 bell pepper that looks nothing like what you buy at the store? It’s sort of roundish & is the size of a tennis ball. Learned a lot by trial & error this year/ did raised beds. At least next year we won’t have to build the frames and buy so much soil etc- ill be ready haha! I was born & raised in nw Louisiana and my mammaw had a huge garden bigger than my house and yard combined here & I have fond memories of helping her and helping her can beets etc. Miss her terribly & all those fresh shelled – as my mama says- " pink eye purple hull peas- nobody up here even knows what those are so im HOPING to plant my own but when would you suggest planting those up here? Also miss my collards and want to try those as well but back home IIRC aren’t collards a cold weather plant? Also can you plant peas that have been kept frozen in rhe freezer? I have a bag of purple hulls she gave me before she passed away years ago( they’ve never been cooked or anything & I just can’t bear to just throw them away) . Ty in advance for any help. Sorry this comment is so long.