Why Millennials Love Their Houseplant Jungles | Annals Of Obsession | The New Yorker

The plant expert Summer Rayne Oakes cares for a vast collection of indoor foliage—more than a thousand plants, from pothos to succulents. She explains why so many millennials have developed houseplant fever.

Still haven’t subscribed to The New Yorker on YouTube ►►

1. Alicja Marzec on August 5, 2021 at 9:35 pm

Pięknie

2. Gary Dockery on August 5, 2021 at 9:36 pm

I really dislike the comment about "whether you have the plant or not, it looks cool on social media"…. if you’re that type…. lmao…. you probably dont even know which plant you’re taking a picture with!

3. Asi harisandu on August 5, 2021 at 9:38 pm

Love what you do. Um doing this

4. Gergely Nagy on August 5, 2021 at 9:38 pm

Carter Kidd, plant shopper 😀 😀

5. kosmiq food on August 5, 2021 at 9:40 pm

I stan with them. More clean ear. Healthy habit. Why would anyone want to proclaim this to be a bad thing.

6. Pilot Jones on August 5, 2021 at 9:40 pm

omg who’s the YouTuber at 1:20… I might have to subscribe and turn on bell notifications 😂

7. joey kaushik on August 5, 2021 at 9:40 pm

Because we don’t get to spend any time out in the nature ? Because everything is ruined ? Let us have our plants

8. cing earth cingearth on August 5, 2021 at 9:41 pm

that amazing!

9. PLANT HEAVEN on August 5, 2021 at 9:41 pm

Nice to meet another plant lover.🎄thanks for sharing..

10. MissNatasha on August 5, 2021 at 9:43 pm

Because we are suppose to be living close to nature. We are getting back to our roots, literally?

11. Georgina Contreras on August 5, 2021 at 9:43 pm

I saw a scindapsus in a gardening center once and didn’t buy it cause I owned 0 plants at the time and wake up thinking about it every day now. I REGRET not buying it then.

12. De Vinois Mathieu on August 5, 2021 at 9:48 pm

Didn’t realize it’s a millennials thing. Always thought I am quite alone with my "jungle". Well it’s not a jungle seeing how many plants some Youtuber have. My wishlist is also probably longer than the number of plants I have.– that said. Maybe It’s something nobody really tells you what you must do. You can have your own ideas and try them. See what is working or not. You do not need a degree , lessons, a licens, a membership or something else what controlles you. And for now having plants is not politically attached. And that’s just some things. In the end it looks beautiful and a room is more comfortable with plants. It makes me happy seeing a new leafe, a bloom or just that a plant is doing well.

13. GGPLAZA on August 5, 2021 at 9:49 pm

will they absorb oxygen at night?

14. Stacey B on August 5, 2021 at 9:52 pm

I’m generation x and I love my plants as well. Always have. I’m able to do more now since my kids are older.

15. Anne Marie on August 5, 2021 at 9:53 pm

The reason I have so many plants is because I have seasonal depression and they are the only things that help me get through it. I tried multiple things.

16. TheSassyPlant on August 5, 2021 at 9:54 pm

This is awesome, Summer Rayne! Thanks for the behind-the-scenes view. Plant lovers – check out our private FB group, The Sassy Plant. It’s a cheeky take on plants and gardening. Go here: https://facebook.com/groups/TheSassyPlant

17. Elaine Rodriguez on August 5, 2021 at 9:55 pm

So the name of the person being interviewed is Summer Rayne Oakes…either that’s a stage name or she was born to own plants 🤔😅

18. Callah Clan on August 5, 2021 at 9:55 pm

I bought a dozen houseplants last week – and they are still alive, this week. I’m calling it a success!
    …I’ll comment again in one year.

19. Nancy Juarez on August 5, 2021 at 9:56 pm

Its easier to take care of 100 plants then a child…

20. Markvs Augustvs on August 5, 2021 at 9:59 pm

An indoor hydroponic vegetable garden might be a better investment?

21. Loseinment on August 5, 2021 at 10:02 pm

what is millenial

22. May September on August 5, 2021 at 10:03 pm

Plants have a power to give ppl relaxation
    Millennials in severe stress: I have to get plants

23. SHō.ōKS on August 5, 2021 at 10:03 pm

Even if I’m one of them, but not only millenials, I think. Plants – for me, help me to keep sane, in this ‘crazy’ world. It keeps me feel ALIVE ♥

24. Asha Sultana on August 5, 2021 at 10:03 pm

what’s up with all those ‘shoppers’ dressed in yellow?

25. itsjulia on August 5, 2021 at 10:03 pm

If any other generation likes to do something, it’s just called a hobby, but when millennials do it everyone suddenly needs to refer to it as an "obsession". Many older people also have a lot of plants but no one is saying that baby boomers are obsessed with plants

26. 1 Workout a Day on August 5, 2021 at 10:04 pm

Wondering… what do you do if you travel for a longer period?! Having this many plants… is beautiful, but I wouldn’t trust anybody to come and water them lol!

27. civilian000 on August 5, 2021 at 10:05 pm

All i see is a bunch of posers these days being sheep with this whole plant thing.. 😅 idk maybe I don’t “get it” yet?

28. Mark Peters on August 5, 2021 at 10:08 pm

5:23 yeah – he really looks like someone i would trust with my plants problems and growing sense of alienation

29. Paula Mercado on August 5, 2021 at 10:09 pm

Not all millennials love plants. Half of them just wanna take pictures of/with plants and pretend. 😂😂😂

30. Daizy Zajac on August 5, 2021 at 10:10 pm

Me a 12 year old girl I like plants to

Millennials: no this is our thing

31. Y Marie on August 5, 2021 at 10:11 pm

My grandpa have always loved plants. He has a beautiful garden and inspired me since I was little to take care of plants. I don’t think is a millennial thing.

32. Queenie Guibao on August 5, 2021 at 10:11 pm

Can we talk about that indoor hammock setup at 6:22 for a while, please

33. Puppy on August 5, 2021 at 10:12 pm

Any one can love plants , whoever wrote this must love making money off a titles that literally make no sense.

34. Red Pill Productions Canada on August 5, 2021 at 10:12 pm

I have a ton of plants all my plants produce food or something useful and reside in a 2 bedroom apartment lmao, tomatoes, peppers, aloe,sage,basil, thyme,rosemary,green onions, lemons, lettuce, chard, marijuana, catgrass, catnip, parsley, fig tree, roses,mint etc. Some of these have multiples and some are different types of the same plant. Honestly I think in the world we live in being so stressful at times has resulted in many people picking this up as a hobby because it’s extremely relaxing and rewarding.

35. Nicole Holguin on August 5, 2021 at 10:12 pm

does anybody know who all the other "plant influencers" are that they showed in the video? Some of them seemed really cool and I can’t find them lol

36. boredgrass on August 5, 2021 at 10:13 pm

Have to assume, all New Yorkers don’t know where their houses stand. Is there one, …just one person or source…who can explain to me how an individual adress like 14 East 95 Street can be located, as in "one knocks on the correct door. 95 street meaning between 95 and 96 street is clear. But how the "14" in "14 East" identifies the correct doorstep seems to be unknown…Searching for days now! Somebody out there?

37. vivian garcia on August 5, 2021 at 10:13 pm

I love how she put it at the end. Plants are more than just your *aesthetic*🥺

38. Kayleigh Marquez on August 5, 2021 at 10:15 pm

….why do I have most of these lol

39. Bella Beanie on August 5, 2021 at 10:17 pm

there were so many funny parts about this video. my favourites were

the final shot of her pretending to be asleep even though there was a whole camera crew in her house, and

"ever sinced we opened, we have sensed and increase in people coming in"

40. Blessed Isaac Conde on August 5, 2021 at 10:19 pm

do they sell weed?

41. 오미영tv on August 5, 2021 at 10:20 pm

very Good 💕👍

42. Mr Bouche on August 5, 2021 at 10:20 pm

just imagine if they were edible

43. Antonella B. Caro on August 5, 2021 at 10:21 pm

Does anyone knows what plant is at 6:08 ? Thanks!

44. Katie Jo Artsy on August 5, 2021 at 10:22 pm

I love her! Amazing how she knows every single plant and it’s full scientific name.

45. Maurizio Arrivabene on August 5, 2021 at 10:23 pm

Jesus christ what are these people? New yorkers are down BAD…

46. David D on August 5, 2021 at 10:24 pm

Summer is my queen 🌱

47. Plants & Pots on August 5, 2021 at 10:25 pm

WOW

48. Liza Butcher on August 5, 2021 at 10:28 pm

How do they ever go on vacation for a few weeks? Or do they never go on vacation?

49. Daizy Zajac on August 5, 2021 at 10:30 pm

1:29 did she just say they came up with indoor gardening what

50. Merle Ginsberg Official on August 5, 2021 at 10:30 pm

Seeing as New Yorker were too ignorant to credit the creators used for content, anyone know the name of the black guy’s channel?