Before you buy a greenhouse

Before you buy a greenhouse

Some helpful advice based on my own experiences that might just help you avoid the pitfalls before you buy a greenhouse. I’ve owned polythene, polycarbonate and glass greenhouses and grown in all seasons with each. So I thought it might be useful to give you my experiences of growing tomatoes, peppers, courgettes, chillies, herbs and flowers and more importantly what should you think about before buying a greenhouse to help you get the best from your growing experience.

If you’re not already subscribed, hit that subscribe button or click this link! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsielepPOAsZ7qdIlIbkO8g?sub_confirmation=1

— Support Us —
If you’d like to support this channel or Kate and me as creators you can pop over to our site at https://www.buymeacoffee.com/eliandkate where you can – “buy us a coffee” 🙂

############ Useful links ############

Our friendly facebook gardening community: www.facebook.com/groups/kitchengardenwithelikate/

Links to all our favourite tools, gadgets and gear: https://thekitchengardenwitheliandkate.com/blog/

Our blog: https://thekitchengardenwitheliandkate.com/blog/our-gear/

— Frequently asked questions —
1.Our greenhouse is 6ft by 8ft classic greenhouse (no fancy extras)
2.No the greenhouse is not heated – there is no power in there
3.We have no intention of adding power to the greenhouse
4.Our garden is 10 metres square (roughly)
5.We live in East Lothian on the East Coast of Scotland
6.Our greenhouse is by a British company called Rhino Greenhouses

#Greenhouse #GreenhouseGardener #Greenhouses #ScottishGarden #AScottishGarden
—————————————-

———————-
Funk Game Loop by Kevin MacLeod is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
Source: http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/index.html?isrc=USUAN1100839
Artist: http://incompetech.com/

1. mathew koshy on August 9, 2021 at 9:48 pm

what is your green house name

2. Gabriella M on August 9, 2021 at 9:48 pm

such a great video! so informational and you’re a great speaker

3. CaseyMichelle Vlogs on August 9, 2021 at 9:51 pm

Your greenhouse so nice and you have beautiful plants. Rain water is what I been using to my flower plants also.

4. John Pearson on August 9, 2021 at 9:51 pm

South is always best? It depends on where in the world you are.

5. will dennis on August 9, 2021 at 9:52 pm

You are awesome!

6. Kara Reid on August 9, 2021 at 9:52 pm

Looking at your greenhouse and dreaming of my own. We have gutted our garden and this is the next step, so thank you for giving such great information, tips and laughs. I am in South Lanarkshire, in a valley, and the wind is biblical 😅 so this video was perfect! I subscribed right away!

7. K R on August 9, 2021 at 9:54 pm

I love how thorough and personable you are

8. ma ws on August 9, 2021 at 9:55 pm

I do love your honesty❤🤣 and thank you for all the helpful advice and things to think on in regards to having a greenhouse. This video was really helpful!! 🙂

9. Tramways_Kat on August 9, 2021 at 9:55 pm

Love your channel! I made an account just to let you know! I’ve just bought an disused bowling green that I’m hoping to re-wild and your channel has been a gardening godsend <3 Thank you!

10. Catherine Coyles on August 9, 2021 at 9:55 pm

Hello, just discovered your channel today, it’s great! Please could you tell me where you bought your staging? It’s so hard to see which ones are solid online so seek your recommendation. Thank you ☺️

11. P C on August 9, 2021 at 9:58 pm

You perfectly explain everything

12. Teresa Brooker on August 9, 2021 at 9:59 pm

Hi. Thank you for that video. I am looking to buy a greenhouse (and bigger than I originally thought) made of aluminium and safety glass with gutters and a base (whatever that is). I am partially-sighted and the big drawback is a lip at the door – I tripped on one in the garden centre. I wish to ask – do I need to find a special one or is there a way of erecting it so that it is flat to the ground? I’ve been told to get concrete laid around the edges to place the greenhouse on and that the lip is necessary to stop rain flowing in (I don’t buy that one!).
    I need to know so that I can tell the person erecting it what I want instead of getting what they want. It is tricky to find the right person for- the job – I was once advised to remove weeds by spreading diesel and someone else said they would use RoundUp. It’s safe to say that neither got the chance to do either!

13. Christine Wotherspoon on August 9, 2021 at 10:01 pm

Where did you get your lovely greenhouse? I’ve looked on internet but the choices are overwhelming!

14. ali Bali on August 9, 2021 at 10:03 pm

Oh Gawd! I wish I’d watched this before I got my polycarbonate greenhouse 😭

15. I AM J on August 9, 2021 at 10:04 pm

The green house was way cool.
    But , let’s talk about this amazing
    hair cut ….

( I’ve the same hair due)…
    Thanks for the vid ,
    Great job !!

16. Corky on August 9, 2021 at 10:05 pm

I think you’re amazing!!!
    And fun!!!!

17. In The Garden With Lee on August 9, 2021 at 10:06 pm

one of the best ‘before you buy your greenhouse’ videos I have seen. I took lots of tips from this video thank you! 🙂

18. Corky on August 9, 2021 at 10:08 pm

Where did you buy your greenhouse?
    Do you have a link anywhere?

19. donald durga on August 9, 2021 at 10:11 pm

Hello and good morning, I am interested in buying a greenhouse and of course setting it up, just came on the tube and saw your video, Amazing, so informative and practical, the tips you give I will definitely review, I am planning to grow some Elephant Ears, Taro plants
    I live in the US and considering a career change in a bit of Agriculture, I will be asking more questions, keep up that good work and those well thought out videos, Cheers
    donald

20. Lap Top on August 9, 2021 at 10:12 pm

My garden faces East, shall I still buy this greenhouse?

21. HotLap RC on August 9, 2021 at 10:13 pm

Great video

22. Kristal Adcock on August 9, 2021 at 10:14 pm

Southern USA here . Am obsessed with your accent . Love the info also 🙂

23. G. Jones on August 9, 2021 at 10:14 pm

great many thanks!

24. Mark Rossell on August 9, 2021 at 10:15 pm

Hi
    I’m just about to go down the route of a greenhouse in my garden. Started to look for good information and tips about a greenhouse. I came across your channel I can say whole heartedly yours is one of the best channels. The information you give out and explain is fantastic, weldone to you.
    Now to go and watch your other informative videos.

Mark

25. Habib Khalil on August 9, 2021 at 10:16 pm

Hahah great video, I ended up watching it for the entertainment! Until I realised I was here for information, had to go back and watch it over. Thank you, helped me out a lot

26. Julie Bendle on August 9, 2021 at 10:17 pm

Hi. I’m looking at buying a greenhouse…I do love the Rhino but am worried its a bit extravagant as its pricy….what made you go for the Rhino and had you looked at any others ?
    TIA

27. Diane Whitaker on August 9, 2021 at 10:18 pm

Thank you so much for that very informative videos. I’m wanting a greenhouse and yours is exactly size I want and has everything I require. Can i ask how much I need to purchased same size house – minus the internal shelving. Many thanks.

28. Lee Cornwall on August 9, 2021 at 10:19 pm

Very good video

29. Grania Newton on August 9, 2021 at 10:19 pm

Found you when looking for a strong greenhouse last year. It is in the garage waiting to be put up. A Rhino 8×12. Took your advice went as big as could afford. We did not know that Rhino is only 20min away from us. About to put it up and not sure where to place the side vents. In a Panic have had months to decide. Please help. Have been enjoying your content since.

30. Mark Jolly on August 9, 2021 at 10:19 pm

Superb details. Thanks!

31. Tony Castro on August 9, 2021 at 10:22 pm

Excellent video, thanks for that. Just looking at buying a small greenhouse for a tiny garden. 😄

32. kerry rettie on August 9, 2021 at 10:23 pm

This video was great. I also live in Scotland. I wasted money on a sad plastic greenhouse last year. Big mistake. Ripped in the first storm. I want to buy a glass greenhouse. Was looking at Halls ones but 15 week lead time and wasn’t sure of the quality. Haven’t looked at Rhino ones yet. Where did you get it? I think we can only fit a 6 x 4. Does it come with everything you need bar the shelving? Thanks for your help!

33. Jean Payne on August 9, 2021 at 10:23 pm

Love your greenhouse🇺🇸

34. Felix Marin Jr. on August 9, 2021 at 10:23 pm

Thank you, my wife and I watched and learned a lot.

35. Jane Gerow on August 9, 2021 at 10:24 pm

I’ve finally bought my first greenhouse. To be installed next month next month. I’m watching all your videos so I am prepared 🥰🥰🥰🥰

36. Milly on August 9, 2021 at 10:27 pm

I love you! Thank you 💖

37. Lenton on August 9, 2021 at 10:29 pm

What’s the size of this?

38. Spencer Wilton on August 9, 2021 at 10:34 pm

I’m so jealous of your Rhino! We have been researching greenhouses but due to covid, brexit and various other factors lead times for top quality greenhouses are up to 30 weeks at the moment!

39. Lora Ost on August 9, 2021 at 10:34 pm

Great video, lots of good things to think about and I LOVE YOUR ACCENT (Mississippi USA here) … thanks

40. Ralph Christianson on August 9, 2021 at 10:36 pm

As everyone has noted, great information, I am in Canada so just a wee bit of distance away. A Scottish fellow I worked with years would have said its great information, because if its not Scottish its crap..it is lovely when someone has already worked through these issues and is willing to share …thank you. Love your shirt by the by.

41. Barb Drake on August 9, 2021 at 10:38 pm

Superb video which I found whilst searching on the best base for a greenhouse 👍🏼 Not only did I find out about a base but glass, drainage, staging and ventilation! Totally awesome. You didn’t mention about the 2 lights you have hanging above your head 😂, are the solar, I love them 😍 Thank you

42. MF Marshall on August 9, 2021 at 10:38 pm

Really nice greenhouse

43. Stephanie Ward on August 9, 2021 at 10:39 pm

Thanks Eli – really informative – can you tell me what type of slabs you have used? Are they standard ones you get from builders merchant or are they specialist? I was thinking of using gravel. would this have any heat recycling properties?

44. mmnair99 on August 9, 2021 at 10:39 pm

Just recently came across your videos and loving them. I live in Scotland and thinking of investing in a greenhouse similar in size to yours. Could you please tell me what the dimensions are and how much I can expect to spend?

45. Jam Jam on August 9, 2021 at 10:40 pm

I’m a young beginner and about to buy my first proper greenhouse this is very helpful

46. Cal C on August 9, 2021 at 10:44 pm

Great video – thanks. Wifey wants a greenhouse and this was excellent.

47. Gail Harvey on August 9, 2021 at 10:45 pm

You’re informative and enjoyable to listen to. New subscriber here 😊 from California, USA.

48. Gintare on August 9, 2021 at 10:45 pm

Is it possible to grow exotic fruits in Scotland in the greenhouse?

49. ray kingston on August 9, 2021 at 10:45 pm

perfect video. exactly what i was looking for. thanks

50. Ron Hawkins on August 9, 2021 at 10:46 pm

I bought a Palram 6X8 greenhouse 4yrs ago. Its still in the Box and in the Garage. But…However, after watching your Video, I’m going to Home Depot today to get my square base stones and setting this baby up tomorrow. Thanks for all your Tips and Advice and I just love your accent!!
    Cheerio Mate Love…Love…Love ya