What can you plant in July [Zones 9 and 10]

What can you plant in July [Zones 9 and 10]

Depending on where you live, July can be a really hot month in zones 9 and 10. Even in the more moderate regions, it is still a very warm month. So what you plant in these zones during the month of July will be limited to heat-loving plants.

Most of your garden will be growing strong in July, but if you find that you have some empty spots then you can fill them in with the following plants:

Cucumbers
Swiss Chard
New Zealand
Get Tomato Starts going indoors
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Join our Free Year-Round Gardening Mini-Course here:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don’t know what garden Zone you live in? Check out this article on our website to find out: https://ourstoneyacres.com/what-is-my-garden-zone
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Do you live in Zones 3 or 4? Watch your video here:

Do you live in Zones 7 or 8? Watch your video here:

Do you live in Zones 5 or 6? Watch your video here:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Learn more about what to plant in Zones 9 & 10 in July by reading this article:

Gardening in July: Zones 9 & 10

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Join the Gardening Academy:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Are you new to Gardening? Check out our Free New Gardeners Workshop! It is a great way to learn some of the basics of growing a new garden. All you need to do to get the workshop for free is sign up for our weekly newsletter! Follow this link to sign up:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Would you like more of Our Stoney Acres?

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ourstoneyacres/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/OurStoneyAcres/

Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/stoneyacres/

More Great Gardening Tips on our website:

1. Victoria Goddard on August 11, 2021 at 9:31 pm

Don’t forget peppers!

2. I hope u grow on August 11, 2021 at 9:34 pm

How about small bush watermelons like sugar baby or the light green striped?

3. happy memories last forever on August 11, 2021 at 9:34 pm

Impressive ,,, Have a nice day ,, Tom

4. Desiree Pena on August 11, 2021 at 9:35 pm

I’m sorry I’m completely new when you say you can plant do you mean by seed or plants? I’m in zone 9b and would like to plant cucumbers but I only have seeds

5. Toni Haddock on August 11, 2021 at 9:35 pm

Thanks for doing zones 9 &. 10

6. Dariachuu on August 11, 2021 at 9:43 pm

Im in zone 10… i was advised to start tomato seedlings indoor in June… now its mid July they were fine until yesterday… now my seedlings are wilting ☹️ its too hot right? What can i do?

7. VTboys1220 on August 11, 2021 at 9:44 pm

Thank you for posting a video on different zones!!

8. Brenda Edwards on August 11, 2021 at 9:46 pm

Warm. We’re plum hot. I am in Corpus Christi, TX. 115. Yes like that. Humid mercy.

9. Karla Lopez on August 11, 2021 at 9:47 pm

I have a very small narrow balcony, what do you recommend that won’t take a whole lot of space? I planted roma and cherry tomatoes just to test out my garden skills

10. Bynac VFX on August 11, 2021 at 9:48 pm

Where is Tulare CA place in the zones?

11. Aaminah Bellydance on August 11, 2021 at 9:50 pm

I live in zone 9B. This is our rainy season. Would appreciate a video on how a rainy season effects what can be planted.

12. Shieena Living Waters on August 11, 2021 at 9:51 pm

Can ANYONE tell me if its normal for Zucchini and yellow squash Female blooms to stop in this high heat? Its been over 100 – 105 to 109. I did place shade cloth on the West side when the sun is blazing but, i get these little 1/2 to 1 inch long fruit with a flower bud that never matures for me to even pollinate. I’ve lost about 20 this way.

Ive addressed the white flies and aphids, i remove old or crowded leaves, checked for squash bugs… You know, everything we gardners do! The plants are healthy otherwise. Im at a loss! They were producing so much and now, nothing.

13. J Birdsong on August 11, 2021 at 9:57 pm

I’m in the hills east of San Francisco bay, a microclimate for sure! This 4th of July weekend, I’m transplanting my second round of regular cucumbers, second round tomatoes, and trying Fordhook chard as an experiment. I FINALLY got a good stand of direct seeded Roma Italian wide green beans (the first two plantings lost to cutworms, or, beans rotted before germination!). I’ve been eating cocozelle- an heirloom zucchini type summer squash 12"long with stripes, persian cucumbers "Baby’, Blenheim apricots just finished, Italian plums are just ripe enough to eat today. "Dixie’ summer squash is struggling with downey mildew and snails for some reason (cocozelle seems impervious). The Sweet 100 tomatoes are just ripening this week. Taking a break from French Breakfast radishes until late august. I’m also growing blackberries in large 15-gal pots. Black Satin has a tremendous load of berries, not yet ripe. Prime Ark Freedom is still growing canes- these were fabulous last year! No room for corn 🙁
    I think I’ll seed some hairy vetch as an interplanting with the warm weather, it will feed the soil and the bees seem to love it. This week I’ll be taking cuttings of lemonade berry, ornamental grevillia, rose etc…Winter cuttings I took of tiger fig and Violetta de Bordeaux fig are ready to pot up to 3 gallon. I love figs! Happy Gardening!

14. BuildDream on August 11, 2021 at 9:59 pm

Thank you for sharing. May I ask where do you located?

15. inlonging on August 11, 2021 at 10:01 pm

9b California just dropped beans and summer squash 🤗 I was always shocked that seeds could come up and thrive in triple digits, but I think it makes them hardier to deal with it from the beginning.

16. Sandra Hodges on August 11, 2021 at 10:02 pm

I tried repeat my to enroll in the garden course, it kept saying oops passwords don’t match. I tried. I am in zone 8b

17. Renee Brown on August 11, 2021 at 10:04 pm

I so want your grape trellis. I miss eating grapes straight from the vine. I grew up in California but now live in coastal Alabama. So most grapes are a no grow.

18. BaconGalPlayzz on August 11, 2021 at 10:05 pm

When he starts talking about the plants- 2:14

19. The Island Farmer on August 11, 2021 at 10:06 pm

sun flowers. my brussels sprouts are growing in full shade…lol. hot peppers like ghost chilli and habanero. my carrots are doing well also in partial shade

20. Patricia Hazeltine on August 11, 2021 at 10:07 pm

Yes zone 9a…too hot for green beans, needs humidity, that we won’t have till the monsoons start. But even in this heat tomatoes like it here. So do peppers, and my eggplant, in a wind protected area. Thanks for the list and the tips! I am getting some success with Moringa seedlings, they love the heat and the sun!

21. Estela Nuñez on August 11, 2021 at 10:08 pm

im in the zone 9b turlock,Ca , i got a fig tree shes maybe 4 years old in a pot , Turkey figs ,i haven’t gotten any figs yet 🤔,im quite desperate, i grew up eating figs all year almost ,back home in Aveiro ,Potugal ,if you could give any tips that would be awesome ,thank you ,stay safe

22. ourstoneyacres on August 11, 2021 at 10:08 pm

Here’s your planting guide for Zones 9 and 10! Enjoy!

23. tiktok11150 on August 11, 2021 at 10:10 pm

115 degrees killed my yellow squash in central CA. Sunflowers are still doing good.

24. howconnie on August 11, 2021 at 10:12 pm

I think you should add sweet potatoes, corn, sunflowers and pumpkin. I’m in zone 10 b but it’s only 72 degrees so I’m planting the final pumpkins and sunflowers for fall decor. I could also plant corn for fall decoration if I had space. Great video. FYI I might start a few pots of corn 🌾 to put on the porch.

25. All About the Hendersons on August 11, 2021 at 10:15 pm

How about sun? Just because plants can hold up to the heat, I don’t want to assume they can handle almost constant sun. Which of these July plantables need shade some part of or all day?

26. Leah Brooks on August 11, 2021 at 10:16 pm

Definitely the wrong time of the year for corn in zone 9 in FL. We don’t get cold enough at night.

27. Janet Matranga on August 11, 2021 at 10:16 pm

How about cantelope and watermelon?

28. Judith Storck on August 11, 2021 at 10:21 pm

Yes, we are in SW Arizona Zone 9b, scorching HOT !! Judi

29. Tatyana Harvey on August 11, 2021 at 10:22 pm

Thank you so much. What about fruit?

30. leslie cruz on August 11, 2021 at 10:23 pm

I’m in Sacramento ca zone 9b, is hot. Just started my pepper seeds, how about starting tomatoes? What you recommend?